Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/4/2021 10:16:42 PM EDT
I'd put together a radio buy list for some folks recently and I put on there a Yaesu FTM-7250DR. I have one, I like it. Today I get an email from MTC Radio that they think the 7250 has been discontinued. Nobody that I can find have any in stock. And, this is a relatively new model radio. Between this one and the FT-857d being discontinued, a lot of my favorite radios are going away. Not sure whether this is a Yaesu only problem or all the manufacturers are having trouble getting parts. I think I read where there was a fire in one of the main plants that produces one of the critical components these radios use. Not to mention a general chip shortage.

The whole problem is exacerbated by the sudden OMG! I need alternative COMMS!!@! That has swept the nation.

Yep, I'm a grouch sometimes. But at least I don't have gout or prostrate problems.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I heard the same and the FTDX-3000 also was discontinued.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'd put together a radio buy list for some folks recently and I put on there a Yaesu FTM-7250DR. I have one, I like it. Today I get an email from MTC Radio that they think the 7250 has been discontinued. Nobody that I can find have any in stock. And, this is a relatively new model radio. Between this one and the FT-857d being discontinued, a lot of my favorite radios are going away. Not sure whether this is a Yaesu only problem or all the manufacturers are having trouble getting parts. I think I read where there was a fire in one of the main plants that produces one of the critical components these radios use. Not to mention a general chip shortage.

The whole problem is exacerbated by the sudden OMG! I need alternative COMMS!!@! That has swept the nation.

Yep, I'm a grouch sometimes. But at least I don't have gout or prostrate problems.
View Quote

In that case you probably don't have anything to talk about on the radio anyway.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Yaesu's Catalog On Their Web Site doesn't show the 7250 however it does list both the 3000 (FT-DX3000D on page 26) and the 857 (FT-857D on page 27).  They do, of course, include the "We reserve the right, however, to make changes at any time ......" disclaimer.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:03:18 AM EDT
[#4]
857 was a great radio, I ran one for years..however if you just want HF the 891 is MUCH better.  Dont know about the other you mentioned.  I heard somewhere about a fire or something in Japan at a parts plant that is messing up all the component purchases by all manufacturers.  That and covid...
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:17:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Crap! I was just trying to raise the money to buy one. It was the only affordable name brand duel band. Two or three day ago it was on the DX website and I bookmarked it. Gone now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m not surprised. I have a FTM400XDR in the shack, bought a 7250 for the car & hate it. The audio from the speaker is just about useless, especially on Fusion. Tried an external speaker & it’s not much better.
Yaesu used to be my favorite brand, but in recent years they’ve dropped the ball more often than not.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Disregard. Not the radios.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:53:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Heard it was, mine has been a workhorse, always got great audio reports and I like the C4FM integration--was looking for another!

Yaesu also discontinued the FT-450D. Some of the models were getting a little long in the tooth, but please PM me if there's a line on a N.O.S. FT-897D
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:58:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Doubled.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:02:03 AM EDT
[#10]
TYT will have a clone out in the near future. They make a living off Yaesu clones.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:10:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TYT will have a clone out in the near future. They make a living off Yaesu clones.
View Quote

It looks like with that gone, I'm priced out of anything but Chinese for a VHF/UHF dual band.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:20:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Crazy, I just received my 7250 a week ago.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Damn

Every time I buy a YAESU, they discontinue it

I just bought an FTM-7250, I really like it.

they need to bring back the FT-857, FT-7900, FTM-100, FTM-7250
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes, I heard the same and the FTDX-3000 also was discontinued.
View Quote

I saw this confirmed by their US rep on Yaesu's US Facebook page.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#16]

That's just retarded. It's not a very old radio at all. Maybe the "no longer in production" means "we don't have the parts to keep the line going so we're stopping production on less expensive gear and focusing on high dollar, high margin products until the supply chain gets better".
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I just read an article about Ford having supply chain issues with IC's for their F-150 pickup trucks. I imagine COVID has screwed the supply chain in many ways. Ham radio is such a small slice of the electronic component world and it doesn't surprise me that things are getting discontinued.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's just retarded. It's not a very old radio at all. Maybe the "no longer in production" means "we don't have the parts to keep the line going so we're stopping production on less expensive gear and focusing on high dollar, high margin products until the supply chain gets better".
View Quote

They've discontinued all the lower priced mobile radios that had a data port.

Now, if you want to play with higher speed data stuff such as 9600 baud APRS / Packet, you're forced to buy an FTM300 or 400.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just read an article about Ford having supply chain issues with IC's for their F-150 pickup trucks. I imagine COVID has screwed the supply chain in many ways. Ham radio is such a small slice of the electronic component world and it doesn't surprise me that things are getting discontinued.
View Quote

Yep, I'm sure it's having an effect.  Molded plastics is another problem child right now, starting to see it a lot in the packaging world, lack of plastic bottles and containers.  And of course then that creates of shortages of goods that are typically sold in that packaging as well.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:02:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Associated Radio in Overland Park KS still has the 7250 listed on their site at $229.   Call to verify before ordering as their site is pretty slow on the updates.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:23:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Associated Radio in Overland Park KS still has the 7250 listed on their site at $229.   Call to verify before ordering as their site is pretty slow on the updates.
View Quote

I wonder how many orders they will have in the morning besides mine?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#22]
HRO lists an open box one in-stock.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

I think this will be my next shack radio.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
HRO lists an open box one in-stock.
View Quote

It's gone now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's gone now.
View Quote

Looked like they had three of them this morning.  One is headed my way.  I already have a 7250 in my truck and a 3200 as a base.  Wanted to add a duel band to my base.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Looked like they had three of them this morning.  One is headed my way.  I already have a 7250 in my truck and a 3200 as a base.  Wanted to add a duel band to my base.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's gone now.

I ordered one of the 7250 from Associated Radio last night and got a receipt and confirmation but no charge or hold has shown up on my CC. I expect to get an order cancelation and no radio.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54857/ftm300_jpg-1813055.JPG

I think this will be my next shack radio.
View Quote

I have 2 of those. One for a base and one mobile.  So far they have been good.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you ordered this morning they may not have seen the order yet.   Their saturday hours are really short.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you ordered this morning they may not have seen the order yet.   Their saturday hours are really short.
View Quote

I got a shipping confirmation and tracking number about 2 hours after I submitted the order
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I got a shipping confirmation and tracking number about 2 hours after I submitted the order
View Quote
I quoted the wrong post.   Whoops.   Was referring to Associated.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:34:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I go a message from Associated this afternoon saying the radio has been discontinued (No! Really! ) but they are supposed to get a few more in but not enough for the POs they have so I might or might not get one and gave no time frame. I am supposed to call and let them know if I want to stay on the list to get one it one is available. I'll call Monday morning and tell them to leave me on the list. I won't be charged unless I get one so no big deal.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I really like mine, and I ordered one from R&L even though they show out of stock. Guess I will see if they get any more in.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Is it possible that this is due to consolidation of models, due to continuing loss of market share to cheaper chinese radios?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:55:31 PM EDT
[#34]
What's the hotness about it? Price/performance?

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Is it possible that this is due to consolidation of models, due to continuing loss of market share to cheaper chinese radios?
View Quote

I just ordered a Anytone 778UV with a USB cable at a good price from Aliexpress that is supposed to ship from the US and be here in 1 to 5 days (believe what you want of the 1 to 5 days ). It has good reviews and looks good in the videos on Youtube. We'll see. I may end up with two radios but I have my doubts on the 7250.

Without getting them from China, the Anytone 778UV and the programming cables are almost all gone.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:14:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What's the hotness about it? Price/performance?

View Quote

It is a reasonably priced dual band transceiver that does Yaesu System Fusion (digital) and has a forward firing speaker, which to me makes a lot of sense for a mobile mounted radio.
They are really simple to program.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:25:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Figures...
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:31:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It is a reasonably priced dual band transceiver that does Yaesu System Fusion (digital) and has a forward firing speaker, which to me makes a lot of sense for a mobile mounted radio.
They are really simple to program.
View Quote

Gotcha.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:11:19 AM EDT
[#39]
That sucks.  I ordered my 7250 early last year because the radio I really wanted (Yaesu FTM-100) had been discontinued and wasn't available.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:13:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I’m not surprised. I have a FTM400XDR in the shack, bought a 7250 for the car & hate it. The audio from the speaker is just about useless, especially on Fusion. Tried an external speaker & it’s not much better.
Yaesu used to be my favorite brand, but in recent years they’ve dropped the ball more often than not.
View Quote

You got a bad 7250.  I use mine mobile exclusively and have no audio issues with the internal speaker, either on analog or Fusion.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You got a bad 7250.  I use mine mobile exclusively and have no audio issues with the internal speaker, either on analog or Fusion.
View Quote

yep

I really like mine

simple, capable, rugged, easy to program, good audio on the front speaker

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd like to pick up a second one for the car. The one I have is mounted in one of my go-racks.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Icom is loving it, just ordered a IC-2730 and I'm sure others have as well. Moving the FTM-7250 back into the shack.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:59:38 PM EDT
[#44]
I got an update from R&L, and they will ship when it arrives. I guess they have at least one coming through the chain.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:06:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I got an update from R&L, and they will ship when it arrives. I guess they have at least one coming through the chain.
View Quote

I talked to Associated Radio today to tell them to leave me on the list to get one if I can. They're expecting something, no idea how many or when but maybe three weeks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:01:09 AM EDT
[#46]
I used to get small parts from R&L years back, and they are nice people. They haven't billed it yet, and won't until I get a shipping notice in the mail.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:28:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t think so. My friend has the same issue with his.
Having said that we’re both used to Motorola commercial radios or Kenwoods in our mobile stations for comparison. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 5:09:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don’t think so. My friend has the same issue with his.
Having said that we’re both used to Motorola commercial radios or Kenwoods in our mobile stations for comparison. YMMV
View Quote

You got a bad 7250, and it sounds like your friend did too.

My 7250 is mounted next to a Motorola APX mobile in my company vehicle.  Analog is analog, so the sound quality is inconsistent and isn't nearly as clear as that of the Moto.  Sound quality on C4FM is excellent, perhaps equivalent to that of the Moto if I used a quality external speaker.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#49]
I must be living right. I got a all today from Associated Radio telling me that got the FTM-7250DR radios in and did I still want it. It's already shipped and I have a UPS tracking number. I REALLY didn't expect to get anything.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:00:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I must be living right. I got a all today from Associated Radio telling me that got the FTM-7250DR radios in and did I still want it. It's already shipped and I have a UPS tracking number. I REALLY didn't expect to get anything.
View Quote

I hope to hear from R&L soon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top