Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2022 12:08:55 PM EDT
I picked up a very gently used FT5D and so far am pleased with it. It came with the factory box, two batteries, two quick releases, an RT systems cable and license, and pretty much everything from the factory.....except for the factory USB cable. I've tried updating the firmware with the RT systems cable, but it's not having it. Apparently Yaesu even says that their SC-17 cable cannot be used for firmware updates.

Sources online all seem to sell the programming/memory cable, not the firmware update cable. Anyone have a source for this cable, or some other option? I don't know that the firmware update is absolutely necessary, but it would be nice to have the option.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't use a programing cable. I program a SD card with the factory Yaesu software and then insert the card into the radio. Using the radio menu settings I then can program the radio from the SD card. It's cheap, easy and reliable.

You can do the same thing with your RT Systems software see the link below.

PROGRAMMING THE FT-5DR RADIO WITH AN SD CARD
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#2]
If its the same as my FT3D, its just a standard USB Mini cable. Make sure you follow the PDF instructions you have small switch near the USB port that needs to be moved.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't use a programing cable. I program a SD card with the factory Yaesu software and then insert the card into the radio. Using the radio menu settings I then can program the radio from the SD card. It's cheap, easy and reliable.

You can do the same thing with your RT Systems software see the link below.

PROGRAMMING THE FT-5DR RADIO WITH AN SD CARD
View Quote

I'm trying to upgrade the FIRMWARE....not the memory channels. ;-)
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If its the same as my FT3D, its just a standard USB Mini cable. Make sure you follow the PDF instructions you have small switch near the USB port that needs to be moved.
View Quote

The FT5D uses a special plug.

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Would it be the Yaesu SCU57, or SCU58?
Edit:
PDF showing connection to HT. Scroll down a bit, is that the cable you need?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The FT5D uses a special plug.

https://i.imgur.com/NYbC6sF.jpg
View Quote

Damn, your right. I did not pay that close attention when I did mine, now I need to find that cable.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like the replacement is the Yeasu SCU-19 which as been replaced with the Yaesu SCU-39.

Scratch that, I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:03:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Yaesu FT5DR USB Yaesu Mini Main/Sub Firmware Upgrade

Check this out OP as a cheaper alternative to the Yaesu SCU-39.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yaesu FT5DR USB Yaesu Mini Main/Sub Firmware Upgrade

Check this out OP as a cheaper alternative to the Yaesu SCU-39.
View Quote

I can vouch for this guy's connectors, I have a couple of them and they work fine. My memory has gone to shit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:39:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Well...I'm good to go.

Oddly enough, the Yaesu programming cable has a divot on the top. BUT.....a standard USB Mini cable will fit, and work perfectly for firmware updates. I just tried it; no special cable needed.

So...
Programming memory? Get fancy cable.
Upgrading firmware? Standard USB-Mini cable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top