Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2021 6:50:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#1]
So, you wanna make people stop ID'ing?  That's how you make people stop ID'ing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#2]
So it's more illegal than it used to be?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#4]
So you can't say the chair is against the wall?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not without John having a long mustache.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#7]
ARRL sent out an email today probably in response to this.

ARRL on the Purpose of Amateur Radio

For over 100 years amateur radio and ARRL — the National Association for Amateur Radio® — have stood for the development of the science and art of communications, public service, and the enhancement of international goodwill. Amateur Radio’s long history and service to the public has solidified the well-earned reputation that “Amateur Radio saves lives.”

Amateur Radio Operators, due to their history of public service, their training, and the requirement that they be licensed by the FCC have earned their status as a component of critical communications infrastructure and as a reliable resource “when all else fails."

Amateur Radio is about development of communications and responsible public service. Its misuse is inconsistent with its history of service and its statutory charter. ARRL does not support its misuse for purposes inconsistent with these values and purposes.

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Everything has got to be in writing, it's just common sense....
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Waiting for the FCC to start recruitment of intercept and DF operators. It would be bad ass to live the radio frequency thug life from my Hoveround scooter. Would have to order me some jackboots off of Amazon!

Dudes, chill out. This is just like the recent press release about how fed. penitentiaries are locking down for the inauguration
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like the FCC determined it would be detrimental to allow ordinary citizens to use broadcast radios a long time ago.  How about that; a government entity that was actually forward thinking.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but assembly is a right.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not on ham bands. But on the other license free services there is no such rule that I am aware of.

So if you're running a numbers station, make sure it's on MURS.

On HF you can do it on 13.56 MHz (22 meters) at suitably low powers (2.3 mW).
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Glad I dropped my ARRL membership.  I can see where their priorities are.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#15]
frankly that is insulting

fuck the arrl
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#16]
"Do you think that F.C.C. would be engaged in the present terrific expense and effort of getting our fingerprints and citizenship histories if there were intention of shutting us down shortly?"

Quoted from the November, 1940 issue of QST.

All ham radio was shut down 13 months later the day after Pearl Harbor.

I wonder if they'll try shutdowns again.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"Do you think that F.C.C. would be engaged in the present terrific expense and effort of getting our fingerprints and citizenship histories if there were intention of shutting us down shortly?"

View Quote

under what pretense that someone broke a few windows at the capitol and sat in pelosi's chair?

Or will it be because the capitol police murdered an unarmed woman trying to climb through a window.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

under what pretense that someone broke a few windows at the capitol and sat in pelosi's chair?

Or will it be because the capitol police murdered an unarmed woman trying to climb through a window.
View Quote

Random Antifa dude with a baofeng gets caught.

It gets reported as 200 rioting Trump supporters and that it's HF needs to be shut down because it was used to coordinate.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So, you wanna make people stop ID'ing?  That's how you make people stop ID'ing.
View Quote

LOL.

All I can think of beyond that is way to piss off even the FOX hunters.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It gets reported as 200 rioting Trump supporters and that it's HF needs to be shut down because it was used to coordinate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess they can go full totalitarian if they want, that is up to them. It isn't like they listen to the little people.

They just use excuses to do what they want anyway.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Fucking weak.

Glad to know they've been coming down on all the blantifa asshats we directly observed using radios to coordinate their illegal activities, many of whom were most likely not even licensed......oh wait.

And pretty weak stance by the ARRL too.

Somebody's skeered of us.....pathetic.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I suspect a lot fewer people would comply.  It would feed right into the prepper narrative.  Guys would just stop ID'ing with their real call signs.  

I've never tried it, but I think I recall reading that it is pretty challenging to locate an HF transmitter due to the nature of HF propagation.  I think you'd have to get close enough to be able to locate it by ground waves.  Is that right?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Fucking weak.

Glad to know they've been coming down on all the blantifa asshats we directly observed using radios to coordinate their illegal activities, many of whom were most likely not even licensed......oh wait.

And pretty weak stance by the ARRL too.

Somebody's skeered of us.....pathetic.
View Quote

They’re as useless and limp dicked as the NRA.  Their statement about Cal shutting down receivers was cowardly.  They’re essentially the fudds of amateur radio.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

LOL.

All I can think of beyond that is way to piss off even the FOX hunters.
View Quote
I can change my call in my TNCs too... F2UJB
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#25]
You mean we can't commit crimes with our radio equipment?  Um, ok.

Those of us with a license aren't the ones to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I suspect a lot fewer people would comply.  It would feed right into the prepper narrative.  Guys would just stop ID'ing with their real call signs.  

I've never tried it, but I think I recall reading that it is pretty challenging to locate an HF transmitter due to the nature of HD propagation.  I think you'd have to get close enough to be able to locate it by ground waves.  Is that right?
View Quote
Yea, locating someone that far away might get as close as... "Well, they might be in Colorado... or Montana... or maybe Nebraska..."
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Excact same thing with CCWs.  We're not the problem.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've never tried it, but I think I recall reading that it is pretty challenging to locate an HF transmitter due to the nature of HD propagation.  I think you'd have to get close enough to be able to locate it by ground waves.  Is that right?
View Quote

Current equipment is fast and very good, under ideal circumstances they can get the location down to a mile or so from hundreds of miles away. Under normal circumstances it's more like 10-15 miles. (Much like the people who misunderstand quantum computing, I'm sure there's people out there that thing the .gov has a magic box that spits out coordinates from a HF signal down to 6-inch accuracy, but that's not the case. They'll definitely know what town you're in and maybe even the neighborhood.)

But for that last mile, yeah, they basically need to be right there. The large wavelengths involved and propagation make pinpoint accuracy a problem. VHF and above, they'll be within 100 meters or better (much better in some caes) with a 100ms transmission if they use the good stuff and they know what they're looking for. Even hobbyist level equipment can do that now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've never tried it, but I think I recall reading that it is pretty challenging to locate an HF transmitter due to the nature of HF propagation.  I think you'd have to get close enough to be able to locate it by ground waves.  Is that right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

there are lots of web based SDRs online that do it with the click of a mouse
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  Same old persecute the law abiding approach.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#31]
That's sounds like a CYA thing to me...
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Waiting for the FCC to start recruitment of intercept and DF operators. It would be bad ass to live the radio frequency thug life from my Hoveround scooter. Would have to order me some jackboots off of Amazon!

Dudes, chill out. This is just like the recent press release about how fed. penitentiaries are locking down for the inauguration
View Quote

That's the NSA's job, not FCC  LOL  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#33]
There are about ten trillion CBs, "export radios", blister pack FRS/GMRS/MURS handhelds, aviation, marine and surplus public safety radios in circulation and in the hands of non-hams. The enterprising freebander or bootlegger has also been educating himself or herself in the use of various non-voice/data communications mechanisms.

Pick an HF band that goes dead at night and use it for local comms. Switch to one with high daytime D layer absorption and repeat.

Etc.

Information will flow. Hams aren't the problem, but at the same time we aren't going to be the solution to YOUR problem.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:37:54 AM EDT
[#34]
I want 2020 back...2021 is FUBAR.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#35]
We all know the real problem is.....

Assault Radios
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I want 2020 back...2021 is FUBAR.  
View Quote

it has only just begun.

Who activated and ordered NG troops into DC. Was it Trump? Trump seems to be very quiet as this crisis unfolds.

It looks to me like Trump is no longer in charge of the military.

The FCC is nothing compared to what is happening.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Criticism of Glorious Dear Leader is forbidden!

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#40]

I was half asleep last night listening to America Coast to Coast on AM radio.
Heard a newsbreak broadcast about the protestors using radios with 'hidden' wrist operated mics, throat mics and headset mics hidden under their hats and face masks.
And they were were using 'secret channels and codes to coordinate their attacks'.
It said that the .gov had helicopters that were monitoring their comms.
I'm guessing that the helicopters were black......

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#43]
"use for coordinating attacks"  

uh-huh...

SHUT IT ALL DOWN !

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#44]
What I find funny is that other services are allowed to use encryption, but not the civilians.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#45]
I found this pic in a GD thread discussing the same thing.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Makes me want to get a couple even more, just because!

They are double the price from just a few weeks ago.

Kicking myself for not buying last year.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Makes me want to get a couple even more, just because!

They are double the price from just a few weeks ago.

Kicking myself for not buying last year.
View Quote

If you really want to help keep the signal going, buy an HF receiver, so you can listen to the HF bands and/or shortwave broadcasts.  It occurs to me that a pirate short wave station could very well come online at some point.  "Radio Free America" or the like.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#48]
My FCC license was lost on a boating trip.  Don't know my call sign anymore.  I think it was something like KA0XTT.  Yeah, I'll use that one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
"use for coordinating attacks"  

uh-huh...

SHUT IT ALL DOWN !

View Quote

AES-256 is all I have to say....
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm going to add a pistol brace to my F8HP.  That'll show 'em.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top