Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Try your Cheetos bag if it's lined with aluminum.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:14:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I might or might not be the smartest RF engineer in the room depending on how large the meeting is or isn't but ....

I wouldn't bet anything more than a few bucks on the "off is off and on is on" certainly but not much at all. I think there's a pretty good chance there's layers of back doors. I'd would bet that Black Hat/Defcon as already tampered and tested the hypothesis and have published their findings.
View Quote
Agreed

I'd bet a tasker like utility would be able to measures the delta without RF signal and then wipe the device. It's just an ITTT gate...on/off isn't the issue. The assumption of "always available" is as much a strength as a weakness until the next mouse trap
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:54:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 3:01:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Agreed

I'd bet a tasker like utility would be able to measures the delta without RF signal and then wipe the device. It's just an ITTT gate...on/off isn't the issue. The assumption of "always available" is as much a strength as a weakness until the next mouse trap
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might or might not be the smartest RF engineer in the room depending on how large the meeting is or isn't but ....

I wouldn't bet anything more than a few bucks on the "off is off and on is on" certainly but not much at all. I think there's a pretty good chance there's layers of back doors. I'd would bet that Black Hat/Defcon as already tampered and tested the hypothesis and have published their findings.
Agreed

WTF are you on about?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Just pull the battery out of the phone if you want to be 100% sure that the phone can't ping a tower(s). You can also wrap the phone with several layers of aluminum tin foil. It's cheap and it works.

All of these "RF signal blocking" devices don't completely block RF. They decrease the RF strength. It's called - attenuation and usually measured in decibels (db) on a logarithmic scale. I would suggest to get a "Faraday bag" with at least 50 db of attenuation at 1 GHz.
A bag with 20 db rating may also block enough of the RF to disable your phone from communicating if the phone is located relatively far from a nearby tower. It may not provide enough attenuation if the phone is near a tower.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 3:36:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You're entitled to your own opinion.  Mine is that you are wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The "off" button works pretty well for me.  No bag required.

Unless you're the tinfoil hat-type that believes your phone can still be tracked and is never truly off.
You're entitled to your own opinion.  Mine is that you are wrong.
It's not even opinion, and it's not tinfoil either.

If you're using a regular commercially available smartphone in the US, you are most likely being tracked even when the phone is powered off, so long as the battery is in it.   This isn't some sort of secret-squirrel stuff, it's for commercial purposes.  The phone is not sending anything - it's listening, and sending that information later when you fire it up again.   What it is listening to is generally not the cell towers.

I would say it's a poorly kept secret, but most people still don't seem to get it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just pull the battery out of the phone if you want to be 100% sure that the phone can't ping a tower(s). You can also wrap the phone with several layers of aluminum tin foil. It's cheap and it works.

All of these "RF signal blocking" devices don't completely block RF. They decrease the RF strength. It's called - attenuation and usually measured in decibels (db) on a logarithmic scale. I would suggest to get a "Faraday bag" with at least 50 db of attenuation at 1 GHz.
A bag with 20 db rating may also block enough of the RF to disable your phone from communicating if the phone is located relatively far from a nearby tower. It may not provide enough attenuation if the phone is near a tower.
View Quote
Majority of Samsung phones and all? of Apple phones you cannot drop the battery without taking the phone apart. That covers like 87% of the US market.

Someone should make a mod for this though. I bet you'd be steadily busy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Majority of Samsung phones and all? of Apple phones you cannot drop the battery without taking the phone apart. That covers like 87% of the US market.

Someone should make a mod for this though. I bet you'd be steadily busy.
View Quote
My Samsung S5 has a removable battery. The phone is almost brand new. I bought it only 4 years ago and it does everything just fine. I don't plan to replace this phone anytime soon.
I really love the power saving feature. The power saving mode switches off all non-essential apps and features. The screen goes black and white and the battery will last at least a week without recharging (with moderate use). Charging ports went to crap on all of my previous phones. This phone takes a much wider plug and it's hard to damage.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Cheap/easy and I’ve heard basically foolproof Faraday cage for larger than a cell phone. Also suitable for long term storage, think dropping your NODs or electronic optics if you’re really paranoid about EMP (yes I know EMPs can’t really screw up small electronics but whatevs):

Take a 30 or 50 call ammo can that’s in good shape with good rubber seal. Cut down a cardboard box and make ‘panels’ to completely line the inside of the box with. Tape them into the box. This creates an electrically decoupled assembly.

Drop your phone in and close the lid. Because the cardboard insulates the phone from the actual metal can, waves hit the box and are stopped from traveling further. Nothing can go in or out.

If you really wanna go bananas, put the phone in a Faraday pouch first, THEN put it in the ammo can.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#12]
People who claim phones can be tracked while off usually are not very technical and don't understand how they work.

That said, it's not impossible to have this "feature".  But to do so, the phone has to communicate with cell towers.  To do that the phone has to emit a signal while off to connect to a tower.  This is *easily* detectable if one were to check.  I have not personally checked, but given the enormous activity in people legitimately scrutinizing every wireless device imaginable out there (look up defcon talks on wireless hacking on youtube) I am going to assume somebody out there would have proof of this if it happens. I have seen nobody, nada, not one single person show a phone emitting RF while turned off.

Now, let's say a bad actor with CIA level access to anything were to want to do this.  They could push an update to your phone that causes it to appear to shut down when you turn it off.  The display turns off, almost everything powers down. Periodically the code would power up the cell tower RF chips and phone home, without appearing to do anything.  You're not gonna want to do much or you'll drain the battery which would make it obvious the phone is doing something.

You could record audio as well.  Issues here would be you have to store the audio temporarily because it's not being streamed in real time, and battery usage over time.  You could record audio for a certain period of time, assuming people would turn the phone off immediately before having a private discussion.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Out of curiosity I did some quick research and found this, which seems to say they are doing exactly what I would suspect to monitor a "turned off phone" (i.e. it's hacked to not really turn off).

It is not explained in the report exactly how this technique worked. But to spy on phones when they are turned off, agencies would usually have to infect the handset with a Trojan that would force it to continue emitting a signal if the phone is in standby mode, unless the battery is removed. In most cases, when you turn your phone off—even if you do not remove the battery—it will stop communicating with nearby cell towers and can be traced only to the location it was in when it was powered down.

In 2006, it was reported that the FBI had deployed spyware to infect suspects’ mobile phones and record data even when they were turned off. The NSA may have resorted to a similar method in Iraq, albeit on a much larger scale by infecting thousands of users at one time. Though difficult, the mass targeting of populations with Trojan spyware is possible—and not unheard of. In 2009, for instance, thousands of BlackBerry users in the United Arab Emirates were targeted with spyware that was disguised as a legitimate update. The update drained users’ batteries and was eventually exposed by researchers, who identified that it had apparently been designed by U.S. firm SS8, which sells “lawful interception” tools to help governments conduct surveillance of communications.
View Quote
https://slate.com/technology/2013/07/nsa-can-reportedly-track-cellphones-even-when-they-re-turned-off.html

Note the title of the article - "NSA can track cellphone even when they're turned off!" Most people don't read past the headline.

Now the big question is - is your phone compromised?
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 1:09:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
People who claim phones can be tracked while off usually are not very technical and don't understand how they work.

That said, it's not impossible to have this "feature".  But to do so, the phone has to communicate with cell towers. To do that the phone has to emit a signal while off to connect to a tower.  This is *easily* detectable if one were to check.  I have not personally checked, but given the enormous activity in people legitimately scrutinizing every wireless device imaginable out there (look up defcon talks on wireless hacking on youtube) I am going to assume somebody out there would have proof of this if it happens. I have seen nobody, nada, not one single person show a phone emitting RF while turned off.
View Quote
You are wrong, and this is in my lane on the business end of it.

The big players - commercially - don't need cell towers to track phones, and you don't need to transmit anything as long as real-time tracking isn't a requirement; the devices can simply send data later.

All you need to do is listen to other other things that are transmitting - available wifi networks is a big one, and maps of these have been made and are updated frequently enough to be of use.   You can also take advantage of things visible to bluetooth, etc, on other devices that *are* on and being tracked.

Those Google street view cars aren't just taking pretty pictures.

The primary issue is that "off" isn't always actually off.   Removing the battery solves that problem neatly for regular nobodies that have no reason to expect anyone would tamper with their hardware.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#15]
But then I have to wear the Cheetos bag on my head.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This!  Simplest and cheapest solution for a small item.  Any Mylar bags work as well and I bet a coffee Mylar bag would work as long as you put aluminum tape on the plastic breathing plug.
View Quote
fail.

from thread years ago:

Link Posted: 7/5/2019 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Take a 30 or 50 call ammo can that’s in good shape with good rubber seal.
View Quote
fail.

you have just built a slot antenna.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Try your Cheetos bag if it's lined with aluminum.
View Quote
fail.

the particular Cheetos bag you have may provide just enough attenuation AT THE YOUR PHONE'S OPERATING FREQUENCY to decrease the currently available signal below the receiver's signal to noise threshold. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOUR PHONE WILL NOT WORK IF YOU ARE CLOSER TO A CELL TOWER or if you walk outside and take the building attenuation out of the equation or if you are in an environment with less RF noise such as a park. IT ALSO DOES NOT MEAN THAT FREQUENCIES HIGHER OR LOWER THAN WHAT YOUR CELLPHONE IS CURRENTLY OPERATING AT ARE NOT PENETRATING THE BAG.  so, you bought a shiny new 5G phone?
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If it has a battery in it - whether on or off - it is a zombie and can be awaken!! The other option is to remove the battery.  Some are easier than others.
View Quote
This is ALL you need to know. No power source, Nothing can work.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 1:45:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This is ALL you need to know. No power source, Nothing can work.
View Quote
O RLY.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-frequency_identification
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 2:36:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The big players - commercially - don't need cell towers to track phones, and you don't need to transmit anything as long as real-time tracking isn't a requirement; the devices can simply send data later.

All you need to do is listen to other other things that are transmitting - available wifi networks is a big one, and maps of these have been made and are updated frequently enough to be of use.   You can also take advantage of things visible to bluetooth, etc, on other devices that *are* on and being tracked.

The primary issue is that "off" isn't always actually off.   Removing the battery solves that problem neatly for regular nobodies that have no reason to expect anyone would tamper with their hardware.
View Quote
Well, that's certainly feasible. Are you saying that all phones always do this?
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Would using lead sheet, instead of aluminum foil make a difference?
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Would using lead sheet, instead of aluminum foil make a difference?
View Quote
Not appreciably, all else being the same.

RF in our context isn't ionizing radiation.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
What is the source of location info [GPS?] that could be transmitted later?

If the phone is in an RF tight, highly attenuated enclosure, there won't be any GPS data to store.

Also, what is to stop [besides, likely solvable, space issues] an actor from placing a small second battery in a phone to allow interesting functions, if the primary battery is removed???
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

fail.

you have just built a slot antenna.
View Quote
That likely is effective only at unknown [without testing] limited and certain frequencies.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#27]
You can get a small microwave for $35

Won’t fit in your pocket, but solid faraday cage
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If you use an iPhone, the find my phone feature works even after the battery has died.

Take from that what you will.
View Quote
Find my phone doesn't even work when the phone is off, much less dead.  Where did you find that "Fact"?
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Phones can be pinged to life by remote.

This is a real thing, it has been used.

Does your local PD have the ability? Almost assuredly no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Phones can be pinged to life by remote.

This is a real thing, it has been used.

Does your local PD have the ability? Almost assuredly no.
LE isn't the one pinging a phone. Its the cell provider.
If a cell provider can't ping their own turned off phone, then they can't.
Its as simple as that.

Quoted:

The issue is, is it really off or in some kind of low-power sleep mode where it is still xmit/recv every few seconds or minutes or something else?

For example, airplane mode on an iPhone no longer means the phone is not transmitting. It can still xmit/recv on WiFi and Bluetooth.
A simple answer. Airplane mode is simply a battery saving mode so the phone isn't looking for towers that aren't there.
It isn't "off".

Quoted:
Find my phone doesn't even work when the phone is off, much less dead.  Where did you find that "Fact"?
This is true. We've had many people insist that their stolen phone or tablet was at a certain public place because that's where the app shows it to be.
We'll humor them and sometimes go with them to the location, but if the phone was turned off, that's simply the last place the phone was on.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

LE isn't the one pinging a phone. Its the cell provider.
If a cell provider can't ping their own turned off phone, then they can't.
Its as simple as that.

A simple answer. Airplane mode is simply a battery saving mode so the phone isn't looking for towers that aren't there.
It isn't "off".

This is true. We've had many people insist that their stolen phone or tablet was at a certain public place because that's where the app shows it to be.
We'll humor them and sometimes go with them to the location, but if the phone was turned off, that's simply the last place the phone was on.
View Quote
Thanks for that confirmation.  The Find My Phone app even specifies that it is displaying an "Old Location" and gives how long ago it was located at that location.  Seems like people just make shit up on the fly sometimes.  I'm still somewhat skeptical about any tracking if my iPhone is powered off.  I've left ipads off for weeks at a time and when I power them back up again the battery level is still 98-99% remaining.  I don't know how it could be so high if there were any RF activity during that time.  If all the Secret Squirrels can track any phone anywhere, anytime, then why was it so hard to find Bin Laden and his buddies for so long?
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You can get a small microwave for $35

Won’t fit in your pocket, but solid faraday cage
View Quote
No it isn't ---not even close.

The RF gaskets are designed for ~2.4 GHz.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I was munching on some Nabisco Simply Salt, round rice crackers while reading this thread.  I noticed that inside the box, the crackers came in a very heavy mylar plastic bag.  I washed it out with hot soapy water, tossed my cell phone inside it, and tried to call my cell from the land line.  The phone didn't ring, and no attempted call ever even registered on the phone.

It appears I found a very durable, (and best of all free) Faraday bag.

If you open the bag up and tape it over your head, the alien's mind probe rays have trouble getting through.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I was munching on some Nabisco Simply Salt, round rice crackers while reading this thread.  I noticed that inside the box, the crackers came in a very heavy mylar plastic bag.  I washed it out with hot soapy water, tossed my cell phone inside it, and tried to call my cell from the land line.  The phone didn't ring, and no attempted call ever even registered on the phone.

If you open the bag up and tape it over your head, the alien's mind probe rays have trouble getting through.
View Quote
You've fallen into a very clever trap they set.  They have an "Alternate" way to "Probe" your mind.   Don't you read about the encounters with Bubba?
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
That bag most certainly has a...

BACK_DOOR

Having likely been made in China...
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 12:34:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
no.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/FARADAY-bags-to-block-cell-signals/17-694404/&page=2#i11891524
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 12:45:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If you use an iPhone, the find my phone feature works even after the battery has died.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you're the tinfoil hat-type that believes your phone can still be tracked and is never truly off.

No, it does not. I use that functionality every day.

It can tell you the last place the phone was before the battery died, but that’s it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 7:37:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
your phone can not only be tracked while off, the camera and mic can also be activated and monitored remotely while "off". i know for a fact federal and state law enforcement have access to those tools. i am sure bad guys with malware do as well. That said it requires a LOT of paperwork to get such things approved for use. it's not something the gov is going to do unless they are looking at you already. if the battery is in and charged it is never truly "off".

power it off and let it sit for a few days. you will notice the battery has dropped a minor amount while powered off.
View Quote
I am very skeptical of this claim.  All cellphone battieries will self discharge over time, so that "Test" will prove that your battery is working like every other one in the world.   My flashlights do this, and I already mentioned this in a previous post about my iPad.   There is one newer feature on phones however that can wake up a phone that is turned off, and that is the RFID chip in many newer devices.  One of it's functions is recognizing a wireless charging field and activating the charge circuitry.  But my car keys have one of those embedded in them, so are they able to be activated by the Spooks also?   If you have some proof of these Black Ops features, kindly provide a link or some source material so that we may explore a defense against them.

Maybe I just don't remember all those selfies they used to take pics of Bin Laden when he was on the lam.  Or, he might not have been a high priority target?
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It can tell you the last place the phone was before the battery died, but that's it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can tell you the last place the phone was before the battery died, but that's it.
It also includes how long ago the location was last available.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 7:40:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Show me proof, utilizing actual equipment, that a turned off smart phone is still emitting a signal or EM radiation.

Otherwise, take your paranoid delusions elsewhere.

And to the OP - best to just leave your phone at home if you're going to do crime.  We had a string of three bank robberies in my area, and the thief was nailed via cell records.  Only one phone was pinging the three towers closest to the three banks at the time they were robbed.
View Quote
That 60 minutes a while back with that CIA guy was pretty convincing.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I track bad guys cell phones for work.

Phones that are turned off don't track.
View Quote
Of course you would say that.

Link Posted: 7/15/2019 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Except that no one has been able to explain how these devices are powered for tracking when they are off.  The battery self discharge accounts for any battery drain over time, just like all devices using Li-ion battery tech.  Flashlights, PVS-14's, drones, digital cameras, stored rechargables, etc. all experience battery drop over time.   As I've stated, my ipads lose about 1-2% every few WEEKS when off.   For a cellular device to reach out to a tower or black van, it needs power.   Please tell us where it's getting it, because it does not seem to be from the internal battery.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Fritos bag.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Except that no one has been able to explain how these devices are powered for tracking when they are off.  The battery self discharge accounts for any battery drain over time, just like all devices using Li-ion battery tech.  Flashlights, PVS-14's, drones, digital cameras, stored rechargables, etc. all experience battery drop over time.   As I've stated, my ipads lose about 1-2% every few WEEKS when off.   For a cellular device to reach out to a tower or black van, it needs power.   Please tell us where it's getting it, because it does not seem to be from the internal battery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because they are not actually "off" switches, they are a logic switch to turn the device to an exceptionally low power usage mode. To actually turn it off, you'd have to remove the battery. I can't in my cell phone without destroying the phone, something that pi$$ses me off greatly. Note that carriers can and often do download software to your phone without your knowledge, primarily to maintain the security and availability of their network.

So, yes, you can track a phone while "off" because it's not really off. As for whether you can track a phone without a battery, that is much, much more difficult and you'd have to know a lot about that particular phone for the methods I've heard about to be effective. Battery out, in a Faraday bag, most likely not trackable. Not usable, mind you, but not trackable either.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#47]
https://edecdf.com/

End thread.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Babnannas.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Because they are not actually "off" switches, they are a logic switch to turn the device to an exceptionally low power usage mode. To actually turn it off, you'd have to remove the battery. I can't in my cell phone without destroying the phone, something that pi$$ses me off greatly. Note that carriers can and often do download software to your phone without your knowledge, primarily to maintain the security and availability of their network.

So, yes, you can track a phone while "off" because it's not really off. As for whether you can track a phone without a battery, that is much, much more difficult and you'd have to know a lot about that particular phone for the methods I've heard about to be effective. Battery out, in a Faraday bag, most likely not trackable. Not usable, mind you, but not trackable either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m curious which part of “low power mode” you believe GPS and location reports over cellular data count as.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 1:38:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have one in the desk next to me and in my daily driver's glove compartment. I'm never far between either place.

You shut the phone down and slide it inside a tight golden color wire very fine mesh - cloth like it's so thin. That sits inside a ballistic cloth pouch with a velcro flap. The golden mesh folds over tightly.

I've tested it both with meters and in the field with last two generations of Samsung's phones and they're dead when inside.

I paid about $5 each for them on one of the Chinese sites: DX or Wish likely. $6 at Amazon two years ago. They no come in colors. I have tested these and have used them several times since but I don't use them daily by any stretch.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00W18FU3G
View Quote
Cool

Txl
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top