Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2022 1:14:44 AM EDT
I have multiple pairs of eyeglasses, but I am going to get a pair of sports glasses that go on like goggles for rough stuff, moving, and for shooting, completely cover the eye.  I wanted something that could stand up to a fight too.

Anyone else go this route?
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 1:25:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been wearing WileyX prescription safety glasses for the last 6ish years. Have to wear safety glasses at work,  wear prescription glasses - it was a natural fit.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been wearing WileyX prescription safety glasses for the last 6ish years. Have to wear safety glasses at work,  wear prescription glasses - it was a natural fit.
View Quote

Another vote for Wiley  X's.

I started buying them for the Offshore Construction Personnel in the early 2000's and  our Eye Injuries went down significantly.

I have been buying the Dark Tinted Prescription Lenses in them  for myself and ms  gamboolgal with our Prescriptions for the last near to 20 years.  Mine - mine  are Trifocals and we both love them.  

Do recommend
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Will check WileyX out, was looking at ones from Optics Outfitter, anyone buy from them before?
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I am getting to the age where I need reading glasses.  It is one of the items I have stocked up on.  Both as an item I use, and as a barter item.  I stock a number of magnifications, again because I or some one else may need a pair.

Bartering something like reading glasses or canning supplies is perhaps less dangerous than bartering something like alcohol, ammo, or tobacco.  

I do appreciate hearing of others experiences with quality eye protection.  I don't often need it for the majority of my work which involves setting behind a desk, and have never purchased expensive eye protection for use on the farm.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Use whatever you want SHTF but glasses suck in unknown combat ( fists to bullets or a combination) Contacts are the answer if you can swing them. Lost my glasses even with keepers in a highly violent encounter with a fence and tree branch during a foot chase and went with contacts after that. When I got old man eyes spent an extended time with Dr and tech figuring out fixes for  focal distances with my handgun and rifle. Went with multi focal contacts and have to correct with glasses to read while contacts are in. Got involved in a shooting incident a few months later after getting everything nice and fixed. For once I timed something right. Contacts can last for years, and no fogging issues.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Use whatever you want SHTF but glasses suck in unknown combat ( fists to bullets or a combination) Contacts are the answer if you can swing them. Lost my glasses even with keepers in a highly violent encounter with a fence and tree branch during a foot chase and went with contacts after that. When I got old man eyes spent an extended time with Dr and tech figuring out fixes for  focal distances with my handgun and rifle. Went with multi focal contacts and have to correct with glasses to read while contacts are in. Got involved in a shooting incident a few months later after getting everything nice and fixed. For once I timed something right. Contacts can last for years, and no fogging issues.
View Quote

Agree, but will add that glasses  the right kind at least, will add some eye protection.

It's  a give and take. I prefer them even with the negatives.

I solved this by keeping my old prescriptions  buying extra work glasses and buying some extra daily glasses from Zenny.

Found the Zenny to have better lenses than the expensive place I  was going to locally.

Zenny was stupid cheap as well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Just get LASIK surgery, … afterwards you can ditch the coke-bottles and wear those Sonny Crockett/Cool-Guy Wayferers.

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just get LASIK surgery,   afterwards you can ditch the coke-bottles and wear those Sonny Crockett/Cool-Guy Wayferers.

View Quote
Definitely, but the effects of LASIK wear off.   I had it done in 2001 and was thrilled.   Went from 20/100 uncorrected to about 20/20.  In 2017, I had to go back to contacts and glasses.   I asked if I could get a LASIK touch up, and was told you could only get one touch up in your life because of the effects on your eyes.  Dunno.  

It's definitely worth it, but it's not permanent.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd prefer to be wearing glasses if contact with a tree branch was a possibility.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got a pair of prescription oakleys for work and also for shtf.  I don’t “need” glasses.  I’m legal to drive without them but they help.     I got transitions lenses in them.  I got tired of Having to switch from clear to dark safety glasses, then switching to scripts to drive etc.    I got them from sportrx and they are stamped Z87.1 on the frames and Lenses so they meet all requirements for safety glasses.   Now if it all goes to hell I have clear and dark safety glasses and prescriptions all in one pair.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Definitely, but the effects of LASIK wear off.   I had it done in 2001 and was thrilled.   Went from 20/100 uncorrected to about 20/20.  In 2017, I had to go back to contacts and glasses.   I asked if I could get a LASIK touch up, and was told you could only get one touch up in your life because of the effects on your eyes.  Dunno.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just get LASIK surgery,   afterwards you can ditch the coke-bottles and wear those Sonny Crockett/Cool-Guy Wayferers.

If your cornea is thick enough, get Laser PRK instead, they can perform the procedure multiple times over the course of your life if you have a vision shift.

3 weeks downtime sucks big time though. I had mine done 8 years ago when I was 32 and it's degraded slightly in one eye (20/30) and the other is now 20/20, but that's still much better than the 20/200 I was before.

I'm on the fence about getting a 10-year touch up.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If your cornea is thick enough, get Laser PRK instead, they can perform the procedure multiple times over the course of your life if you have a vision shift.

3 weeks downtime sucks big time though. I had mine done 8 years ago when I was 32 and it's degraded slightly in one eye (20/30) and the other is now 20/20, but that's still much better than the 20/200 I was before.

I'm on the fence about getting a 10-year touch up.
View Quote

recover was rough on PRK but no complaints afterwards for me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine was polar opposite.   Eyes were sore from being dates almost 24 hours but I was only taking pain meds because I was told to.

Yeah, surgery isn't permanent,  but neither are glasses or contacts.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Mine was polar opposite.   Eyes were sore from being dates almost 24 hours but I was only taking pain meds because I was told to.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Took me a year to ween myself off the dry eye drops after PRK. If any of you decide to go that route, use them as little as possible so your eyes are forced to adjust.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I use the cheap 3M Z87+ sunglasses any time I need sunglasses, for impact protection as well as sun protection.  They're cheap enough to stack deep and just replace if scratched.  Ironically they outlast the driving sunglasses I used to buy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I mentioned it in another thread, but Oakley offers pretty good discounts for vets and first responders if you fit into any of those categories in their OSI (Oakley standard Issue) area

I just placed a significant order from them and saved about 50%   -----     my order was clothing, a backpack and a couple pairs of everyday shades,  -- but they do have a "ballistic " line that is more LE and Mil specific that i believe meets standards for safety glasses --

-   I have always liked the quality of their stuff, but always found their stuff was cost prohibitive without the discount.      I've used other sporty brands as i like to mountain bike , like Tifosi and just miscellaneous stuff i can find on sale.      Also the optics areas at places like Sams club or Costco a lot of times have good deals on shades, but these are usually more "everyday use" shades like aviators and wayfarer type stuff, but possibly worht a peek if ever in there

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top