Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2022 10:53:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riflenoob]
Edit : I just found a YouTube video of someone replacing the same old style with the same new style pump. I will be able to watch it in a little while - may answer my questions.
https://youtu.be/NdJbTu9UKos

@John-in-austin
@KB7DX

Thanks for your help in my previous GD Thread (https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Is-this-Evinrude-Cutoff-Switch-stuck-in-/5-2577261/)

I ordered this part from eBay after finding it had the same number referred to in my Parts Catalog:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392818722793

Attachment Attached File

It is not the same as what’s coming off my motor. I am wondering, will the pump be compatible regardless?

It has to be installed at a 90 degree different orientation (may need to get a longer intake hose), came with fine thread rather than coarse thread screws (I’ll need to get longer coarse thread screws because it is…), taller than the existing pump and has a different base plate shape.

I see a couple options : try to find a like for like replacement - use as is, if you think that will work - or modify the new pump with some of the old pump parts.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:59:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#2]
Interesting.  Lots of aftermarket parts out there, usually Chinese.  I would not use the screws if they don't match, though the pump itself should work just fine as long as the gaskets seal. it's a very simple design.

Be VERY careful ordering things with just a parts number.  Again, Chinese.  The accuracy of the product descriptions leave a lot to be desired.

I just ordered a part for a 1999 10 HP Tecumseh generator off of Amazon  I don't know what the hell they sent me, but it in no way, shape or form was ever on any sort of generator and does not match the picture/description.  Oh well, free returns.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Interesting.  Lots of aftermarket parts out there, usually Chinese.  I would not use the screws if they don't match, though the pump itself should work just fine. it's a very simple design.
View Quote

How does the pump actually “pump”? Is there engine pressure actuating a soft flexible diaphragm inside of there? Looking at the new pump I thought it was rotating bearing that a shaft would press into, but the old pump clearly doesn’t have that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 11:11:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#4]
Originally Posted By Riflenoob:

How does the pump actually “pump”? Is there engine pressure actuating a soft flexible diaphragm inside of there? Looking at the new pump I thought it was rotating bearing that a shaft would press into, but the old pump clearly doesn’t have that.
View Quote

Not a rotating shaft, it's a mechanical plunger design. Back and forth with a one-way valve. Not continous like an electric pump, needs the engine to be running to work.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 11:14:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Freiheit338] [#5]
Originally Posted By Riflenoob:

How does the pump actually "pump"? Is there engine pressure actuating a soft flexible diaphragm inside of there? Looking at the new pump I thought it was rotating bearing that a shaft would press into, but the old pump clearly doesn't have that.
View Quote
Simple rubber diaphragm pump driven by vacuum pulses from the engine. They are generic and common.

One could get a new diaphragm for the old pump to have as a spare. Just open up the two halves.  Chinesium copies of pumps have made that less financially attractive over time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top