Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2019 2:35:45 PM EDT
Since this place is like the BBB I figured I would ask.  Has anyone used these guys for beetle cleaned shulls?  Skull taxidermy

Just asking.  Is there another place out there for getting a deer skull cleaned?  I was going to use my local taxidermist but when I asked him about it he admitted that for European mounts he just sends them out (but wouldn’t say where he sends them). After talking to this guy sounds like a good deal, less than half of what my local guy was going to charge me.

As for doing it myself, I have done one.  It was a lot more work than i was expecting, ended up boiling it too long and is brittle.  Anyway, just asking.

Thanks,

Indy
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't send anyone money that hasn't updated their website since the 80's.

Find someone local.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I do it myself,  the key is to not let it boil but rather simmer.  I cut as much meat off as I can then I'll let it simmer for 30- 45 minutes or so with some Dawn and then check to see how well the remaining meat scrapes off.  If it comes off fairly easily I take it out and use a small spade bit the scramble the brains.  I then take the pressure washer to it being especially careful around the sinus and nasal cavity.  Next I pull out what remains of the sinus cavity and any other small parts that remain..  I use some wire or string to keep the nasal pieces from separating and let it dry for a few days.  I'll then use some peroxide to lighten it.  The final thing I do is use paraloid B-72 dissolved in acetone to seal it.  On second thought... it probably is much easier to just send it out to have someone else do it.  I would search Taxidermy.net to find someone to provide the service.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do it myself,  the key is to not let it boil but rather simmer.  I cut as much meat off as I can then I'll let it simmer for 30- 45 minutes or so with some Dawn and then check to see how well the remaining meat scrapes off.  If it comes off fairly easily I take it out and use a small spade bit the scramble the brains.  I then take the pressure washer to it being especially careful around the sinus and nasal cavity.  Next I pull out what remains of the sinus cavity and any other small parts that remain..  I use some wire or string to keep the nasal pieces from separating and let it dry for a few days.  I'll then use some peroxide to lighten it.  The final thing I do is use paraloid B-72 dissolved in acetone to seal it.  On second thought... it probably is much easier to just send it out to have someone else do it.  I would search Taxidermy.net to find someone to provide the service.
View Quote
Last sentence is the key, I just don’t have the time anymore.  Sending them out is what I need to do so my wife can have the freezer back and I will stop hearing about it.  Thanks for the tip on taxidermy.net
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm confident once I do a couple more I can get them done in three hours.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#5]
So is there anyone out there that can do this for me?  I just don’t have the time to do it myself and I don’t want to pay the local guy $250-300 a pop for something he just sends out anyway?  I know it’s a risk sending to the place I found on the net, never heard of them, don’t know anything about them. The search continues.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Check Craigslist.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I used Dakota Skulls.  Very happy with the service and the turnaround time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top