Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2021 2:36:42 PM EDT
I've had good luck planting poke. I just scatter the seeds in good habitat.

My favorite wild edible, though, is ramps, and for years I've been transplanting bulbs in likely spots. Ramps are very, very slow to become established, but this spring it finally looks like my plots are all booming.

If you want to give it a try, collect seeds when they are hard and black (probably September), and plant them in moist, rich soil under hardwood trees. Anywhere you see trout lilies, May apples, or trillium growing in the shade of hardwoods is good habitat. Rake aside the leaf litter, press the seeds into the soil with your hand, and replace the leaf litter.

Growing from seed is slow, but takes very little effort and is the best way to build up big populations for future harvests.

In the south, seeds will germinate the next spring. In the north, germination takes an extra year. This is because the seeds require a warm period followed by a cold period to break dormancy.

To speed germination in the north, you can mix the seeds with moist vermiculite and store them in a Ziploc bag for 60 days at room temperature, then move the bag to the refrigerator for another 90 days to simulate winter. After this moist, cold period, sow seeds outside in spring. This will get you a year head-start.

Transplanting bulbs is more work but will reduce the time-to-harvest by several more years. Water them until they’re established.

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I wish I was still in ramp country.  Not saying I’d plant any - since I don’t have the time or patience.  Plus out in western NC, the tweaker patrol would likely get em first.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wish I was still in ramp country.  Not saying I’d plant any - since I don’t have the time or patience.  Plus out in western NC, the tweaker patrol would likely get em first.
View Quote

I'm not in ramp country, but I'm MAKING it ramp country.

I've seen them in Vermont, New York, and Maine, but the only ones I've seen here in in my home state of New Hampshire are ones I planted.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I didn’t think you were n the stank belt!  Well good luck to you man.  There was a GD thread about leeks and all I could think of was ramp season.  One time I stopped a car, occupants were big time dopers and poachers.  They went to jail, the meth WS logged into evidence and the 11 pounds of ramps they had was photographed and “destroyed”.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the connection between ramps and tweakers?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top