Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2020 3:12:50 PM EDT
I’m looking to buy a survival knife and in my search came across the Esee 5. I’ve also looked at Mora and Kabar but the Esee 5 made it to the top of my list.

How do you rate Esee’s quality? I’ll admit that a carbon blade makes me nervous because of the rust factor, but it sounds like the Esee 5 can take a beating. Any pros or cons to this particular knife?
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s coated pretty well but the leading edge will rust pretty quick if you don’t care for it, same with any spot you wear through the finish.  Other than that I love my ESEE’s.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a stainless ESEE 4 and was very impressed, while it's a pain to sharpen, it really holds an edge.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome knife. Heavy. I have used it extensively for tasks such as batonning logs into kindling. It takes a licking.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]
All ESEE's are tanks.  You can't go wrong with any of them.  The 5 is a heavy bitch.  I'd feel just a confident in a 4 or a 6 for your purposes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#5]
pretty happy with the mora in stainless, will eventually get the carbon
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve got a lot of custom knives but the ESEE 5 is one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Esee 5... Don't think it will break... Beefy... Just need to learn how to put an edge on occasionally...
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 12:50:03 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're even concerned about weight, I'd skip the 5 and go with a 4 or 3 instead. I took a 5 on a week long hike and I seriously regretted having to carry the extra weight.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 1:02:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Esee 4 is about the sweet spot, either that for the Laser Strike esee (actually my favorite).  

Also check out the Mora Garberg, is nice also, sturdy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Now you have me looking at the Esee 4. Upside is it’s less expensive
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the 3,4 and 6.
4 is most used...5 is big, thick and heavy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I just ordered the Esee 5 tactical w/kydex sheath. I debated getting the Esee 4 but actually wanted something a little heavier. Thanks for the input everyone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the 3,4 and 6.
4 is most used...5 is big, thick and heavy.
View Quote
I have 2 Izula II's, a 3, 4, and 6.  I also have a Becker BK2.  The BK2 is very similar to the ESEE 5.  It's the least used knife of the bunch.

I use the Izula most by far.  Then the 4 and the 6.  I use the 3 around the kitchen a lot.

I would feel very comfortable with just an Izula II and the 6.

Some of my stash.

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’m looking to buy a survival knife and in my search came across the Esee 5. I’ve also looked at Mora and Kabar but the Esee 5 made it to the top of my list.

How do you rate Esee’s quality? I’ll admit that a carbon blade makes me nervous because of the rust factor, but it sounds like the Esee 5 can take  a beating. Any pros or cons to this particular knife?
View Quote
it's thick and heavy.  I wish they make a5 light.  Model 4, but 5 inches.  The 6 is lighter, but way more of a fighting knife.  I'd be more than ok with just a4.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an Esee 3,4,5,6 and they all have their place. The Esee is a monster of a knife though.

NMG
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I handled several of the ESEEs and ended up buying an ESEE 4- and I've never used it, even after ordering another set of scales to try.  It's hell for stout no doubt, but it's overly thick and heavy for actually traipsing around in the woods and I still don't really like the way it feels and handles (obviously subjective).  On the rare occasions I carry a larger knife it's my older Cold Steel Cabon-V SRK.  I usually carry a DH Russel Canadian belt knife, an ESEE Izula or occasionally a Mora.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#17]
All Venom Green with orange scales, or paracord:

Izula, 4, Junglas and just bought the 5, ten minutes ago, so stay tuned for the family pic after it arrives!

I’m just a hack city-slicker, so weight will never be a factor.

Glass breaker for the ‘dunk in the face.’

Chris

Link Posted: 8/31/2020 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m hoping this knife thing doesn’t become another addiction.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:35:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I handled several of the ESEEs and ended up buying an ESEE 4- and I've never used it, even after ordering another set of scales to try.  It's hell for stout no doubt, but it's overly thick and heavy for actually traipsing around in the woods and I still don't really like the way it feels and handles (obviously subjective).  On the rare occasions I carry a larger knife it's my older Cold Steel Cabon-V SRK.  I usually carry a DH Russel Canadian belt knife, an ESEE Izula or occasionally a Mora.
View Quote
You should try the -3.  It's much thinner.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:45:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you are thinking this ^^^, it already has.

I find that sharpening them all is very cathartic, though. (just like thumb cocking all these damn single action revolvers is)
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I handled one before I bought the 4, I just didn't need another knife in that size so decided to try the 4 since so many people rave about it.  They're all quality knives, but like most people here, I've got a shoebox full of knives that were bought for one reason or another then never really got used.  Unless you just like doing bushcraft stuff (I do and it's kinda why I bought it), a smaller knife is far more likely to be carried and used in real life in my experience.  If I were going to do one of those survival shows or something like that then yeah, I'd take a larger knife but for actually hiking/backpacking/hunting/bumming around in the woods I'll stick to the smaller blades.  Just my two cents worth.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have 2 Izula II's, a 3, 4, and 6.  I also have a Becker BK2.  The BK2 is very similar to the ESEE 5.  It's the least used knife of the bunch.

I use the Izula most by far.  Then the 4 and the 6.  I use the 3 around the kitchen a lot.

I would feel very comfortable with just an Izula II and the 6.

Some of my stash.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-S3JpdXV/0/e36588ab/X2/i-S3JpdXV-X2.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm hoping this knife thing doesn't become another addiction.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think the 5 is too "sharpened crowbar" for most people. If you're going to be busting in/out of vehicles or structures in some mil/shtf deal maybe. I think the 4 is a more practical knife
View Quote

True. I’ll likely get the 4 down the road. I genuinely wanted the 5 for bushcrafting/camping. The 5 would serve me in a self defense scenario as well but that’s not the primary reason for buying it. Mainly just wanted something heavy duty that can take a beating
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 2:34:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 2:42:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 9/3/2020 2:54:31 AM EDT
[#29]
You all need to actually use your knives sometime. Outside of instagram time. Damn.    
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 5:37:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Now you have me looking at the Esee 4. Upside is it’s less expensive
View Quote

Perfect size.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#31]
I have pretty much all of them but the 6, the 5 is HEAVY. It’s strictly car camping trips. 3/4 is the ticket combined with the IZ2
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Do you guys use Tuf Cloth as a rust inhibitor?
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you're even concerned about weight, I'd skip the 5 and go with a 4 or 3 instead. I took a 5 on a week long hike and I seriously regretted having to carry the extra weight.
View Quote

This is why I don't have an ESEE 5.  It's an okay knife, but for the size, it's just a thick, chunk of heavy, sharpened steel...no thanks.  I won't say it's a bad knife, just too much bulk for its size.  What are you going to do with it that an ESEE 3 or 4 won't do?  The thicker profile just makes it a less capable cutting tool.  Too heavy, I don't care for short, thick saber-ground blades.  It does depend on what you want, but there are better options that are better cutting tools yet still robust enough to handle abuse...and much lighter.  Blades for any serious chopping (or battoning) need blades over 8" IMHO.  However, with a small saw (Silky 130 ro 170), and an ESEE 3 or 4, I can do all the processing I need and little to no need of chopping.  Very little need to chop with a survival belt-knife...there are plenty of techniques and alternatives to chopping.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is why I don't have an ESEE 5.  It's an okay knife, but for the size, it's just a thick, chunk of heavy, sharpened steel...no thanks.  I won't say it's a bad knife, just too much bulk for its size.  What are you going to do with it that an ESEE 3 or 4 won't do?  The thicker profile just makes it a less capable cutting tool.  Too heavy, I don't care for short, thick saber-ground blades.  It does depend on what you want, but there are better options that are better cutting tools yet still robust enough to handle abuse...and much lighter.  Blades for any serious chopping (or battoning) need blades over 8" IMHO.  However, with a small saw (Silky 130 ro 170), and an ESEE 3 or 4, I can do all the processing I need and little to no need of chopping.  Very little need to chop with a survival belt-knife...there are plenty of techniques and alternatives to chopping.

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

Same thing for the Becker Campanion IMO.  It sounds like a neat knife, but every time I've picked one up - I'm like "Why???".
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Rust is a non issue in knives that are used regularly.
I love CS knives but mine see regular use.
If you work in a cubicle and need a blade to sit around in various storage conditions long term it might not be the best for you. Smaller, lighter knives are more usefull imo, my circumstances allow for a kukri and/or a hatchet to almost always be available for more hefty chores.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I have used my 3 for all kinds of camping and hunting chores.
4 mostly catches dust.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How do you rate Esee’s quality? I’ll admit that a carbon blade makes me nervous because of the rust factor, but it sounds like the Esee 5 can take a beating. Any pros or cons to this particular knife?
View Quote

Esee 5 is a crowbar, and unless youre going to Amazon with a small backpack, you don't need it!  If you're stuck with Esee, Esee 6 is better survival knife for avg user, but it I've replaced mine with Ka-Bar BK7.  I've used them side by side and BK7 is the BEST mid size mass produced survival knife, period!!  Just replace the sheath.  Case closed!

Better yet, see if you can use them side by side, that will absolutely make your decision for you.

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah...

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#39]
ESEE are great quality knives.  Of their original line, I think the ESEE-3 is probably one of the best sizes.  The sharpened pry bars never interested me and aren't really super practical for finer knife type stuff.  

I really dig their take on the Kephart design, the PR4.  Got the knife and scales from The Knife Connection.

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Don't worry about it being carbon steel...you must be young. The only time you'll have to worry about rust is if you leave it in your garage in a wet box. I've been collecting

and using knives for over 40 years. Anyone saying rust is an issue is either a sailor, or someone that knows nothing about knives.

Esee makes fantastic knives. The Esee 5 is awesome, but you'll also want a small knife to do what the 5 cannot. I'd recommend an Esse 3, or something with a 2 to 3 inch blade, if you're using it for camping / survival.

The Junglas and an Esse 3 make a great combo, too. I own a Junglas...it's a bad mofo!
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

True. I’ll likely get the 4 down the road. I genuinely wanted the 5 for bushcrafting/camping. The 5 would serve me in a self defense scenario as well but that’s not the primary reason for buying it. Mainly just wanted something heavy duty that can take a beating
View Quote

Honestly, for a true camp knife, it's really hard to beat an Esse 3...if you only had one knife. The 5 is just WAY too big and thick to do normal camp stuff. I know you want a big bad ass knife to take to the woods, but with just an Esse 5 you'll be seriously lacking.

90% of everything you'd want to do with a knife, the Esee 3 will do much better.

ETA: Tuff Cloth is as good as you hear. It works like a miracle for rust inhibition on guns and knives...sure use it. Most woodsmen carry 2 to 3 edged blades. Don't buy into this bullshit hype that there is one perfect survival knife, because there's not and never will be.

I usually carry a small camp knife, and either a small axe or the Junglas. The Esse 5 is an awesome knife that doesn't really do much well, ymmv.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
ESEE are great quality knives.  Of their original line, I think the ESEE-3 is probably one of the best sizes.  The sharpened pry bars never interested me and aren't really super practical for finer knife type stuff.  

I really dig their take on the Kephart design, the PR4.  Got the knife and scales from The Knife Connection.

https://i.imgur.com/B8QldP1.jpg
View Quote

@Bulldawg

what kabar is that?
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@Bulldawg

what kabar is that?
View Quote

That’s the Kabar Kukri Machete. Nice beefy chopper that comes with a decent dangler sheath. Works great for minor limbing and brush-busting.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#44]
5” is thicker than the others.
I’ve had an Ontario Rat 7 in D2 for about 10 years. Messed up the finish on the spine early on. Still hasn’t rusted up. The Esee 6 1095 I think, have edges rust if you leave them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#45]
5” is thicker than the others.
I’ve had an Ontario Rat 7 in D2 for about 10 years. Messed up the finish on the spine early on. Still hasn’t rusted up. The Esee 6 1095 I think, have edges rust if you leave them.  I like the new handles you can get for them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Had a 5 and sold it.

Have the same Izula I bought 5 years ago and a PR4.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#47]
The ESEE 6 seems to be the knife everybody compares other knives to, with repeated statements of it being their go to knife. Check out the YouTube videos.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

5 may be too much for camping.

3 or 4 would be better imo.

A little thinner blad makes most tasks easier. BTW you won't believe how beefy these knives are. Super super stout. The 5 is insanely thick.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I recently bought the 5 in Venom Green, after having the Izula, 4 and Junglas in VG.

If you don’t already have the Izula, 3, or 4, get one of them, first, IMO.

The 5 is a brick.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Don't worry about it being carbon steel...you must be young. The only time you'll have to worry about rust is if you leave it in your garage in a wet box. I've been collecting and using knives for over 40 years. Anyone saying rust is an issue is either a sailor, or someone that knows nothing about knives.
View Quote

Agreed. The only impact rust has is on your edge, and that's if you don't use it often.  Even with that, it's the reason I always have a diamond or ceramic stone/rod to touch it up (even stropping will work).  Rust is really an over-rated concern unless you're wading though salt water marshes or spending all your time in/on salt water.  If you're in those environments repeatedly and for long term, there are better steel options.  

ROCK6
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top