Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2017 11:44:55 PM EDT
Anyone have one,
1 st. was a complete saint.
2 nd. is a complete a..hole
5 year old male, and acts like a 4 month old pup.
He is an OK hunter, but what a difficult dog.
Is this common? The difference is night and day
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 6:11:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pasquale91] [#1]
We have one, an older gal that was found in the middle of a turning lane dead asleep.
We took her in from the finder and kept her eventually.
Hard-headed, stubborn, yet sweet and a joy to have around.
We don't hunt her but she can be very "birdy" when she wants to be.
Mostly she is a couch potato.
If we did another English, it would be an older one.
eta pic
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two, Luke and Leia.  I don't hunt them, Leia can be very stubborn and a total sweet heart.  Luke is 99% awesome with two exceptions, he won't go downstairs if I'm leaving and he won't get off my side of the bed.  The first cause he wants to go with me bad and the second cause he wants to fuck with me bad.

Link Posted: 12/14/2017 7:39:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pasquale91] [#3]
Do they get "Attitude Ear" when they get stubborn?
Mine will hold one ear all cock-eyed crazy when she's mad.

They're beautiful dogs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome looking dogs, mama approved!
Wish I knew how to post pics
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#5]
We found a way that our old gal can still point, and stalk without going in the field.
We found and installed a birdfeeder that attaches to the outside of our living room window.
Now she hunts, albeit finches and titmouse's, without stressing her back legs.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a red headed (actually completely red) irish/English setter mix. She's a huge sweet heart, most affectionate dog I've ever met.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pasquale91:
Do they get "Attitude Ear" when they get stubborn?
Mine will hold one ear all cock-eyed crazy when she's mad.

They're beautiful dogs.
View Quote
@pasquale91

Sorry, didn't see this.  No she totally ignores me like she didn't hear me.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#8]
We lost Pearl today
She was having issues breathing and an x-ray and ultrasound found quite the large tumor in her lungs.
She was 14 yrs old and would not have survived the surgery. We made the decision to let her go
peacefully and painlessly this afternoon.

RIP sweet girl.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 4:48:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry about your loss. Not fair our four legged friends leave us so quickly in life.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By beardog30:
Sorry about your loss. Not fair our four legged friends leave us so quickly in life.
View Quote
Thanks, she is the second dog we've lost this year, it's tough when your crew gets older.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:35:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: beardog30] [#11]
Originally Posted By pasquale91:

Thanks, she is the second dog we've lost this year, it's tough when your crew gets older.
View Quote
Yeah.  It's hard.  I'm going back to three dogs.  My old girl is going to finish her last full season this year.  She should be with me for years to come but hunting all day is too much for her joints.  She'll still get half days of hunting and preserve romps.  My Brittney puppy is a rock eater and he'll eventually do himself in despite my best efforts.  I'm hard pressed to put much money bird wise into him because of this.  Shame, because he's a great dog.

I bought a started 3 year old GSP to fill the gap between puppy and semi-retired dog.

My dogs have always been pets first, hunting dogs second.  It's why I couldn't give my rock eater back to the breeder.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:25:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry to hear of your rock eater.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 3:29:39 AM EDT
[#13]
They seem to be a more difficult dog to train.  I've never seen them respond to harsh training and more ES have been ruined by an E-collar than any other breed.

Great dogs, they just take lots of time to mature.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Dodgedthecoathanger:
They seem to be a more difficult dog to train.  I've never seen them respond to harsh training and more ES have been ruined by an E-collar than any other breed.

Great dogs, they just take lots of time to mature.
View Quote
Where are you in Wi,.?
Did you get your pup from Dale Creek? Tom?
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 4:20:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dodgedthecoathanger] [#15]
Just west of Menominee.  I’ve only trained ES, never owned one.  I’m a Shorthair guy.  I like my bird dogs in easy mode.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#16]
My avatar dog is not a Llewellyn, just a regular setter.  My first setter.  They say setters are slow to mature, and based on this dog I'd agree.  He's 5 and finally calmed down (mostly).  They also say setters are smart (for a bird dog).  Mine is dumb as a post, but at least he's not near as hard headed as a couple shorthairs I've had.   Setters are sweet hearted dogs though.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#17]
My brother had two at different times when we were teenagers. Good bird dogs.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Help me find a trainer for one!  Southeast US if possible.  Lots of woodcock, quail, and dove where I hunt, if she could retrieve the occasional teal or wood duck it would be awesome!  PM me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Great looking pup!
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#21]
How big of a running dog do you like.  I have a female setter that I’m not sure is going to work for me.  I got her early Aug.  She’s going to need work but she’s got a nose and points.  Not for sale but I’d give her to a good home.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Very gentle and loving creatures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top