[#2]
Quoted:
You are 5x9.

View Quote

pfffft should have been a 5-9-9.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]

I get a chuckle out of those.

But I will say sometimes when your on the end of a pile up and you hear a character. You'll get several with what you asked for. It's a pairing down until you get the one you heard or hear. Sometimes I wonder if people think I'm full of it when I say they're 5-9. They are when I can single them out.

I was activating one time and heard a 4 land calling loud but lost the rest in the heard. When I said 4 station. It was almost the same roar.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I get a chuckle out of those.

But I will say sometimes when your on the end of a pile up and you hear a character. You'll get several with what you asked for. It's a pairing down until you get the one you heard or hear. Sometimes I wonder if people think I'm full of it when I say they're 5-9. They are when I can single them out.

I was activating one time and heard a 4 land calling loud but lost the rest in the heard. When I said 4 station. It was almost the same roar.
View Quote

Yep, it is akin to finding the end of a string in a rat’s nest tangle.  just start pulling it apart.  I despise the ones that throw out their call three times in a pile up.  There is one guy I am thinking of in particular who is rude like that and if the cq caller says a prefix or number this bozo will call on top of that too when he has nothing of the sort matching his callsign.  His tactic appears to be so frigging annoying that they finally take his call to move him along down the dial.   He may be of clinically diagnosed low intelligence or function though.  well he sounds like it is a possibility.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep, it is akin to finding the end of a string in a rat's nest tangle.  just start pulling it apart.  I despise the ones that throw out their call three times in a pile up.  There is one guy I am thinking of in particular who is rude like that and if the cq caller says a prefix or number this bozo will call on top of that too when he has nothing of the sort matching his callsign.  His tactic appears to be so frigging annoying that they finally take his call to move him along down the dial.   He may be of clinically diagnosed low intelligence or function though.  well he sounds like it is a possibility.
View Quote
There's a guy locally. Real nice guy. I introduced him to POTA and been like a drug addiction. He went nuts. Has several thousand POTA QSOs, multiple kilos. It's nuts. I'm envious of his free time. Although I don't think I'd spend that much doing POTA. Anyway, his operating habits are obnoxious. He's very impatient and wound up when activating. We've done a couple activations together and I stopped for several months because it was embarrassing to be associated with him. I went again last week to see if it got better.it has not.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:36:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

His tactic appears to be so frigging annoying that they finally take his call to move him along down the dial.   He may be of clinically diagnosed low intelligence or function though.  well he sounds like it is a possibility.
View Quote

Which encourages him.

I call them out and embarrass them and after I work them I tell them they are NOT going in my log and won't go in my log until they read the DXCC and follow it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Probably a good idea.  At the moment for POTA I am a hunter so I am with the crowds in a pile up not the guy calling cq and managing it but I think I will use a polite reminder first before taking anyone other than them then if they continue then call him out by callsign.  Ignoring it just annoys all. All they can do is be a prick and maybe hunt you and tune on you.  Gyprat did the right thing with that Spanish (iirc) station who kept calling when he was asking for zones and certain fragments of callsigns that were clearly not the Spaniards.

DX fever is annoying.

Amateur radio has a segment that seems to have gotten into the hobby to deal with a communication deficit personality disorder.  I made that term up but it’s like they are there for therapy to work on a disorder.   The dx and POTA guy I was refering to.  I may not recall his callsign but I would recognize it when I hear it as well as his loud shouting insisting tone.   We have a few guys local with “tics”.  The one that laughs at everything he says when it is a statement of some kind that isn’t a joke or even slightly humorous.  Does the DJ Danny sing song when he checks into a net and again when it’s his turn.  

I try to think “there but for the grace of God go I” but I still get irked.  .  There are two things I cannot stand; the intolerant and the Dutch.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#8]
This is why when I do contesting, I always just give everyone a 5-0 report.

I mean, if I'm going to lie to the guy I'd rather it an understatement.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#9]
LOL

I agree, unless it is a human QRM issue, where they are otherwise clear.

"...you are 59 when in the clear."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top