Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2021 7:30:22 PM EDT
This past weekend I put up my homebrew efhw. I tried to follow Steve Ellington video on it but my swr(only meter i have is on my 891) is over 2.5+ on 40 and up to 3 on 20. The swr on 80 is 1.2 and seems to be working great. Any ideas on what to try to get 20 and 40 and still keep 80m happy?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
An antenna tuner
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#2]
nobody ever said you didnt need a tuner for an end fed, you do except for the 1/2 wave bsnd, in your case 80m
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there a lower dip in SWR either above or below the 20/40M bands?  You can tweak it to get those bands in line but it will have some effect on 80M as well, whether it's enough to shift you out of band remains to be seen.  If you have an analyzer that gives a graphical SWR plot (like a nanoVNA) from 1-30MHz that would be helpful to look at as well.

Can you also go over your overall construction?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#4]
how is it strung? how high off the ground. Is it in the trees, is anything else by it especially metal, is it in a straight line or something else

how it is set up can affect resonance and impedance, which both effect SWR
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#5]
fpni. More details on installation would help also.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
how is it strung? how high off the ground. Is it in the trees, is anything else by it especially metal, is it in a straight line or something else

how it is set up can affect resonance and impedance, which both effect SWR
View Quote

Inverted L strung up in the trees. The vertical section is approximately 30' strung up through a tree and the end is down hill attached to a tree approximately 45 high. Nearest structure is the house 30" away the vertical section is the portion closest to the house. The construction is steve Ellington design with three 52 type torrid wrapped with 12ga enameled wire. I do not have the transformer grounded.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Inverted L strung up in the trees. The vertical section is approximately 30' strung up through a tree and the end is down hill attached to a tree approximately 45 high. Nearest structure is the house 30" away the vertical section is the portion closest to the house. The construction is steve Ellington design with three 52 type torrid wrapped with 12ga enameled wire. I do not have the transformer grounded.
View Quote
The above in red isn't really clear, but is the angle in the "L" less than 90-degrees?  That can sometimes lead to extra de-tuning and shifts in the resonance dips.  If not, that should be fine.

Any word on my above question about where the lowest SWR points are inside or in close proximity to these bands (80/40/20)?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The above in red isn't really clear, but is the angle in the "L" less than 90-degrees?  That can sometimes lead to extra de-tuning and shifts in the resonance dips.  If not, that should be fine.

Any word on my above question about where the lowest SWR points are inside or in close proximity to these bands (80/40/20)?
View Quote

My eyeball says it would be at least to 90°. Its kinda hard to tell because the long part of the L is running down hill. The short 30' section is up hill running down through a tree. Do I need some stand off from the tree?

Swr on 80 is all low 1s closest to 1 higher on the band. On 40 the lowest I get is 2.5 and that is also at the top of the band, gets almost to 3 the lower i get. 20 is the same but higher swr is actually gets to 3.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
nobody ever said you didnt need a tuner for an end fed, you do except for the 1/2 wave bsnd, in your case 80m
View Quote

I was under the impression that an efhw was a resonate antenna and getts lower swr. I'm almost positive Steve Ellington stated that in his video but I'm mostly likely wrong
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was under the impression that an efhw was a resonate antenna and getts lower swr. I'm almost positive Steve Ellington stated that in his video but I'm mostly likely wrong
View Quote

Steve is a bit of a, well maybe I won't say.    But he's at least correct that if properly tuned, this design shouldn't need a tuner except for maybe the extreme ends of some wider bands and the "off" bands.

From you SWR descriptions above, at least it sounds like your wire is a bit too short, I try to get 80M at best SWR on the bottom of that band, and the others tend to fall into line nicely.  You might also need to either ground the transformer or at least put a choke in line with the coax about 13 feet from the transformer, that tends to help lower SWR on some harmonics.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an EFHW wound according to Steve Ellingtons instructions.
What I've learned:

Start with a wire 135 feet or longer, I also wrap at least another 5 or 10 feet back around the far end for good measure.
You can always cut, not add.
Tune for low SWR around 3.5 MHz. Since you left the wire real long, your going to be cutting little by little.
Your minimum SWR on 80m probably will start around 3.2-3.3MHz before you start cutting.

Get a Nanovnh, it makes it so much easier.  http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=8620&products_id=75145
Next, download the program NanoVNA-Saver its free, screw working off that little 4 inch screen,
Makes pretty SWR graphs of your EFHW like this:

Info on NanoVNA-Saver Program

I then setup an up close scan on 80m from 2-5Mhz, do some more cutting and get 80m near but not exceeding 3.5 MHz at minimum SWR, then check all the other bands up close, individually as you go.
Best $60 I ever spent.

This url gives you a chart as a goal to where your minimum SWRs should fall for each band:

https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/antennas-propagation/end-fed-wire-antenna/multiband-end-fed-half-wave-efhw-antenna.php

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an MFJ 80 HWEF that I need a tuner for every band except 80. But maybe I have been doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have an MFJ 80 HWEF that I need a tuner for every band except 80. But maybe I have been doing it wrong.
View Quote

Sounds like your wire may be a little too short?

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

134 feet, it is an MFJ antenna so maybe it is
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

134 feet, it is an MFJ antenna so maybe it is
View Quote

I made the wire about a 135.5' and then added some wire plus the compensation coil that is talked about. Brought down the swr on 40 to around 2 and 20 around 2.5. Going to run with that until I get a ground rod installed sometime this week or weekend. 80m sounds fantastic on it though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:54:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Keep in mind with antennas that you want to work on a harmonic, that those harmonic relationships will not be exact.

Antennas in the real world have end effect; an antenna operating on a higher harmonic has no end effect on the wavelength within the antenna, only the end, so all the higher harmonics will be higher frequency than 2x/3x/whatever from the fundamental frequency.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#17]
This just got delivered yesterday:
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/cha-emcomm-iii-b

80-10m

Pretty nice SWRs, esp. 30-10

Used the same wire already in the trees from the last graph of my hand wound core in previous post.
Counterpoise terminal is connected to my wire field fence.
Ground terminal to single 8 foot copper ground rod.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This just got delivered yesterday:
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/cha-emcomm-iii-b

https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/cha-emcomm-iii-b_ml.jpg

80-10m

Pretty nice SWRs, esp. 30-10

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/518465/camemcommiii-1791916.jpg

Used the same wire already in the trees from the last graph of my hand wound core in previous post.

View Quote

Those are more of an end-fed random wire, similar to the ones commonly fed with a 9:1 unun in concept, but I think Chameleon uses some slight variation from that convention in their box and some additional discrete components to get the wide matching range.  The result is nice low SWR across a lot of bandwidth as you see, but overall efficiency won't be great on bands where you have less than a combined half wavelength of wire hooked up to it.  A decent antenna, but not a cheap option either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top