Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/7/2018 2:02:55 PM EDT
After having my uber fancy duel boiler radiant heat system fail last night at -10*F I'd like to have a couple indoor safe heaters put away in case it happens again.   The garage has a wood stove and the living space (~3700 sf) is above the garage.

Would a couple propane or kerosene type heaters be best? What would be the safest? Don't want to die from CO poisoning!!
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
What type of wood stove and do you have a way to circulate air from the garage? I’d go to the wood stove first, I think if you got it cranking you’d be surprised how well it could maintain a properly insulated home at those temps.  My BIL heats his 2,700 sqft home almost exclusively with a wood stove.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What type of wood stove and do you have a way to circulate air from the garage? I’d go to the wood stove first, I think if you got it cranking you’d be surprised how well it could maintain a properly insulated home at those temps.  My BIL heats his 2,700 sqft home almost exclusively with a wood stove.
View Quote
The wood stove in the garage doesn't really have a clear pathway for the heat to flow upstairs other than radiating through the floor
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Kerosene /thread
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two of these type Kerosene heaters and they work very well.  I keep a 2.5 gallon pot of water on top as the humidity helps feel warm.  I also burn 1 gallon of E85 to 4 gallons of diesel as a cheap kerosene substitute.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have two of these type Kerosene heaters and they work very well.  I keep a 2.5 gallon pot of water on top as the humidity helps feel warm.  I also burn 1 gallon of E85 to 4 gallons of diesel as a cheap kerosene substitute.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/139525/83509E10-A458-4316-8F0C-A2678C248E19_png-731317.JPG
View Quote
I have one of those I think I bought from Lowes for my small garage.  It seems to take a bit to get up to temp, but then it'll run you out.

They are supposed to be indoor safe, but I've heard many complaints about the fumes giving folks bad headaches or making them sick.

I end up cracking the garage door or leaving the man door open.  Really haven't used mine much.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/139525/83509E10-A458-4316-8F0C-A2678C248E19_png-731317.JPG
View Quote
This.  They fume when starting or shutting off, but are pretty clean burning when going.  I always crack a window when running JIC and it still heated my old place into uncomfortable temperatures.  I wouldn't run it unattended, but it can heat your room up before bed and you should be GTG with blankets until the morning.  I love mine.

ETA: my old place was about 1200 square ft.  One unit heated about 700 of kitchen, living room, and bedroom without a problem, though my house was well insulated.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]
can you tap into your heating system and use a wood fired boiler as a backup?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have one of those I think I bought from Lowes for my small garage.  It seems to take a bit to get up to temp, but then it'll run you out.

They are supposed to be indoor safe, but I've heard many complaints about the fumes giving folks bad headaches or making them sick.

I end up cracking the garage door or leaving the man door open.  Really haven't used mine much.
View Quote
We use one in the house when the temps get in the low teens and it's windy out.  Really only time my wood boiler has a hard time keeping up.  My wife has really bad asthma and as long as I start it outside and get it hot, and then turn it off outside, we have never noticed any fumes at all.  Nothing that bothered her.  Also have several CO detectors and it's never set them off even after running all night.

You definitely have to be careful carrying one that's lit so the mechanism doesn't shutdown.  I've gotten petty good at it.  Plus I only have to move it about 15 ft.  Make sure you use good quality kero.  Clear is the best but I've not had issues with dyed.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Why not use a 2nd boiler in parallel?

Edit: What exactly is you "uber fancy duel boiler radiant heat system" composed of?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The wood stove in the garage doesn't really have a clear pathway for the heat to flow upstairs other than radiating through the floor
View Quote
my house in AK was like that, wood stove on far end from strairs

cut a 8" hole in a closet upstairs to down stairs ceiling. But grates over both ends when I need to move heat in the winter, used a 10" inline fan over the grate to pull the heat.  Worked amazingly well.

I posted about in in the AK forum but it was -20 outside and I had my house up to 8 degrees in Jan
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why not use a 2nd boiler in parallel?

Edit: What exactly is you "uber fancy duel boiler radiant heat system" composed of?
View Quote
Running dual Buderus G215 boils with Taco controls

Both boilers are programmed to run together for peak efficiency. One will get so warm, shut off, and the other one takes over type of thing.

#2 went down because of air in the fuel lines from its recent service and #1 the control panel head went bad. $500 later I'm back in business
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
can you tap into your heating system and use a wood fired boiler as a backup?
View Quote
That is a pretty genius idea! I don't know how easily it can be done but I will certainly look into it
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#15]
A couple big buddy heaters are cheap and safe heat sources for short term problems.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Surprised nobody has mentioned regular 1500 watt electric heaters.  They don't smell, are easy to move and put out decent heat.  I have a few of those and then a Big Buddy propane heater in case I lose electricity at the same time.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I have had the gas furnace go out at least a half dozen to ten times since I have lived here (usually it's a bad/broken igniter).  Once was while I had the flu and it was well below freezing outside.  As long as I still have power (have every time), I'm good.  Here's what I have done.

1. Turn on every light in the house.  I still use incandescent lights and they do a good job of keeping the house slightly warm even on very cold days.

2. I only had one space heater, so I rotated that between rooms

3. Boiled water.  The extra humidity in the house kept the temperature from dropping so quickly.

Would things get too bad, I would probably disconnect the dryer vent (electric dryer) from the ceiling in the basement and route it toward the door of the laundry room, make sure it's very clean (maybe blow it into a pillow case for a few minutes to capture any lint that would want to fill the house), and turn on the dryer with nothing in it and blow the hot air into the house.  That would be a very last resort as I don't like the idea of blowing the dryer into the house, especially with it being near the furnace (don't want it blowing highly inflammable lint into the gas furnace).  I wouldn't do this if I had a gas dryer, but with electric, I *think* that I would be okay?  Maybe somebody else on here with more expertise in this area could chime in and tell me if I'm a genius or moron.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:22:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I ran one of these for 2 years before we got central heat. I'd run it when the wood stove went out during the night - it took the stove to heat the house back up again.
The alarms never went off. If possible, stick it in a central room in the house, right under a ceiling fan- reverse the direction of the fan. It easily brought our uninsulated 1500 sq ft house back to "livable" temps. They are pretty frugal on Kerosene as well.
Another option is to have a propane tank dropped and get a big wall mounted propane heater.
Propane heater
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:38:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 1:42:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Kerosene heaters
Know when, where, why to use lower btu radiant or higher btu convection
Milesstair.com for education and source quality wicks
Buy/store bulk kerosene as possible
Might as well hit up WT kirkman for some (new) decent kero lanterns

If you light them up in the garage/patio and let them come up to temp before moving inside the smell is very minimal. Added humidity with the kero heaters is a good idea (small pot of water on top of heater).
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Kerosene heaters
Know when, where, why to use lower btu radiant or higher btu convection
Milesstair.com for education and source quality wicks
Buy/store bulk kerosene as possible
Might as well hit up WT kirkman for some (new) decent kero lanterns

If you light them up in the garage/patio and let them come up to temp before moving inside the smell is very minimal. Added humidity with the kero heaters is a good idea (small pot of water on top of heater).
View Quote
The lanterns aren’t a bad idea.  I collect Coleman’s that are sometimes pressed in to hiney heating duty.  These are conservatively rated at 3500 BTU’s and run at 99.2 efficiency.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What would be the safest? Don't want to die from CO poisoning!!
View Quote
Just about all the unvented propane heaters sold nowadays (including gas fireplace inserts) have a Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) that automatically shuts off the gas if the oxygen level drops to the point where significant amounts of CO can be produced.

Combine that with a functional CO alarm, and you're pretty safe.

One of my relatives heats most of their house with a single wall-mounted unvented propane heater -

Since it's unvented, all of that heat stays indoors, which greatly improves efficiency.

It doesn't require any electricity - which is handy during a power failure.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#25]
The issue with the Buddy heaters and external tanks is that a leaking propane tank inside a house has enough propane to level it IF it leaks. It's a little risky (though VERY low risk IMO) and if you are there to monitor it, the slight risk is worth it vs the much higher risk of freezing. I wouldn't hesitate to bring a Buddy heater and a 20 lb tank inside.

The issue that causes the need for a filter is the hose. For some reason the hose can leach some oil out and it MUST be filtered out. There is a hose that doesn't leach oil out for the Buddy heaters and so doesn't need a filter. It's green as far as I remember.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:46:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:29:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's still a black hose, just low pressure so no oil leeching. Unless they changed the just color recently.
View Quote
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Buddy-Hose-Assembly/dp/B001CFWF5U

It's green. I think all the black hoses need the filter. Not sure if any company makes a black hose that doesn't need a filter.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's green. I think all the black hoses need the filter. Not sure if any company makes a black hose that doesn't need a filter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's still a black hose, just low pressure so no oil leeching. Unless they changed the just color recently.

I love my Mr Buddy heater. A couple of teething issues I found out when converting a cargo trailer to camper.

1: If left running in a closed up space, it will auto-shutoff due to an onboard oxygen sensor.
If this occurs, disconnect all lines and left them vent (I was using a 20 lb tank with hose and filter). I didn't my first time encountering this issue, and I would get a weak pilot flame that would go out after 30 seconds. After disconnecting all connections and letting them vent, it started working again.

2: The small 1 lb propane canisters will freeze up before you get full usage out of them when its cold out.

3: The $34 Mr Buddy hose linked above is a more expensive option compared to checking out your local big box store of choice's BBQ grill section. I found a 6 foot hose (black colored hose) for $8, and bought the MrBuddy LP filter for $9.

4: If you weren't aware, farm stores and the like; along with propane delivery companies will fill your tank and give you the full 20 lbs for around $10-ish(depends on the price of propane of course). And you get to keep your tank, that you know the history of. These places will check the certification date on the tank, and refuse to fill if expired.

5: If your tank is past its cert date, a propane supplier will usually recertify them for free, making it good for another 5 years.  Rust around the valve is the biggest rejection reason.

6: When you use the propane exchanges at gas stations and the like, they are usually repainted and sometimes have expired certification dates. Make sure you check the date if you choose to use those swap places, and verify that the valve handle actually turns. If you weren't aware, you only get 15 lbs of LP with these exchanges:

A friend moved out of state and gave me for free 3 LP tanks with stamped on cert dates from the late 1990s. Trip to the FS depot, and I have 3 full tanks with 2018 cert dates for $33.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You're trying to keep all 3700 sq ft warm?

Depending on the insulation that's a shit ton of BTU.

In an urgency I just heat and cool the smallest room in my home - about 140 sq ft - because it's in the center of the downstairs and has only a small window but is surrounded on three other sides by the home.

A tiny tent catalyst heater makes the room toasty warm and a 750 watt AC keeps it cool running off of one of those Honda generators.
View Quote
This is really the question. What exactly is your goal. All these supplemental heat sources will require you to physically get involved. The probability of both your boilers going out at the same time was very small. I personally would invest in some spare parts for the boiler and a thermostat to alert you when there's a problem. Those small heaters will make you comfortable but wont do much in terms of protecting your pipes from freezing.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Mr heater does/did. They are low pressure, plug into a low pressure port on the big buddy. They are big buddy specific.
View Quote
I had to look that up. If you use that hose you have to have the regulator attached to the tank valve. Supposedly it has to do with high pressure in the hose leaching contaminants out of the hose but it's not an issue with low pressure.

So, it appears that you would need the green hose without a filter (or black hose with a filter) if you have a regular buddy. If you have the Big Buddy, you could use the low pressure hose with regulator on the tank with quick disconnect to the heater and not need the filter.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:30:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:04:38 AM EDT
[#33]
How would one fix a big buddy heater (or two) if they were not working correctly due to being used without filters?

If anyone were dumb enough to do that, that is.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:54:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had to look that up. If you use that hose you have to have the regulator attached to the tank valve. Supposedly it has to do with high pressure in the hose leaching contaminants out of the hose but it's not an issue with low pressure.

So, it appears that you would need the green hose without a filter (or black hose with a filter) if you have a regular buddy. If you have the Big Buddy, you could use the low pressure hose with regulator on the tank with quick disconnect to the heater and not need the filter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mr heater does/did. They are low pressure, plug into a low pressure port on the big buddy. They are big buddy specific.

I've got a black Mr. Heater-branded hose that specifically said somewhere in the info that it did not require the filter; I know because I was aware of the filter/hose issues when I bought it and was shopping specifically for the right combos.  It screws into the regular propane port, not the low pressure port.

I've been running it in a greenhouse every spring and fall for 4 (5?) years without a hiccup.

Great heaters btw.  One of these and at least a couple of 1 lb. bottles should be tucked away somewhere in every household in America.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#38]
When I took in my old 20# bottles to be certified, it was about the same price to just give them my old tank go and buy new tanks.  The only local place that did the certification charged XX for that and then you had to buy their gas to fill it and that was some of the most expensive around.  It seems like the 20# tanks were around $20+ new.  I had a friend give me an old large tank (about 3X the size of a 20#) that was in great shape and it was well worth having the certification done.

Our cabin heater and RV trailer heater are both vented.  Do you guys using the nonvented units have issues with moisture?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't consider the moisture to be a disadvantage.

Unlike your average forced-air furnace, it keeps humidity levels high enough to prevent nosebleeds, sinus problems, cracked lips, dry mouth, etc.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
When I took in my old 20# bottles to be certified, it was about the same price to just give them my old tank go and buy new tanks.  The only local place that did the certification charged XX for that and then you had to buy their gas to fill it and that was some of the most expensive around.  It seems like the 20# tanks were around $20+ new.  I had a friend give me an old large tank (about 3X the size of a 20#) that was in great shape and it was well worth having the certification done.

Our cabin heater and RV trailer heater are both vented.  Do you guys using the nonvented units have issues with moisture?
View Quote
Agreed, call around and check to see if other places dont charge to certify. New empty tanks from retail that around me are $~30. Then between $13-$18 for a 20lb fill.

Is your guy charging more than $20-$30 to recertify them?

And as a reminder, Jan 23rd, 2017 DOT reduced initial stamp certifications from 12 years down to 10. Visual re-certification is 5 years. A proof pressure test (which I think LeonardC is getting charged for) was increased from 7 to 10 years.

https://www.lpgasmagazine.com/dot-cylinder-requalification-rule-to-impact-propane-marketers/
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
OH, forgot to mention:

DO NOT

EVER

run a radiant panel heater on less than "high". If it is a model that you can turn off a panel, that is fine, but never "turn down" a panel (even if the settings are there for it) when used in an indoor place. I have set off plenty of CO detectors doing this. They don't burn hot enough to burn 99.7% clean.

ETA: Same thing goes for kero heaters with a catalytic system: all out or nothing.
View Quote
I've ran my small buddy heater on low many times in a fairly enclosed space with a CO detector with no issue. I know people who run the radiant heaters inside a house full time and they don't have CO issues.

CO happens due to incomplete combustion. Even on low you should still have complete combustion.

What I have seen first hand with unvented heaters is, not not use any cleaners or smell good sprays near it or even in the room when it's running. They will burn onto the heater and cause bad odors until they burn off.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Might be wise to search around for a "friendly" propane person.  I go through a number of 1" bottles (which I re-fill), so I have a number of 20# tanks to fill.  Eventually I found a reasonable vendor, who had no problems with re-certifying GTG tanks, and providing bulk propane at a reasonable price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might be wise to search around for a "friendly" propane person.  I go through a number of 1" bottles (which I re-fill), so I have a number of 20# tanks to fill.  Eventually I found a reasonable vendor, who had no problems with re-certifying GTG tanks, and providing bulk propane at a reasonable price.
Where I live, no one recertifies older propane tanks. I asked at a couple fill places and they just looked at me like I was stupid and told me as long as it has a new OPD valve, they will fill it. On 100 lb tanks, since OPD valves aren't used,  the local places are filling some pretty decrepit looking tanks without issue.

I bought a wet let propane fill kit to fill bottles from my 500 gallon home tank. Makes it much cheaper to fill them myself. I fill my 20lb and 100 lb bottles. I also go one step further and use a HVAC vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on the bottle before filling it. It makes the fill process quicker and easier with less wasted propane.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
You will always have excess moisture with unvented heaters of all types. Burning fuel results in moisture. That's why I hate unvented heaters for primary heat. As a backup they are great. As a primary heat source, they all suck. Once you have a proper vented heater, you'll never want to go back to vent free.

That said, I still think they make great short term backup heat sources since you get heat without requiring power to do so.

I heated my shop with various vent free heaters for years. I now have a Mr Heater Big Maxx heater (vented) in both the house garage as well as the shop and I absolutely love them. I could run them easily off a generator as well. That said, they are my primary heat source, not really what I would consider as a backup.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Crack a window if your building is of modern sealed construction.
Use only clear K-1 kerosene.
I bought this one for $60.00 Canadian including 5 gallons of kerosene from a guy who got tired of waiting for the world to end.

I also got a vertical one for $35.00 last night.
I shop the local classifieds for older Kero-Sun units that were built in Japan.

ETA: I would rather have 3 8,000 to 10,000 btu units instead of one 23,000 btu unit.
They only burn optimally at one output.
I can always turn off one or two once it gets toasty.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You will always have excess moisture with unvented heaters of all types. Burning fuel results in moisture. That's why I hate unvented heaters for primary heat.
View Quote
Adding moisture to dry winter air is an advantage.

People actually install humidifiers to accomplish the same thing an unvented heater accomplishes - for free.

That's one reason why I love them, and strongly prefer them for primary heat.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Adding moisture to dry winter air is an advantage.

People actually install humidifiers to accomplish the same thing an unvented heater accomplishes - for free.

That's one reason why I love them, and strongly prefer them for primary heat.
View Quote
I've been in many houses that use unvented heaters as the only heat source. I could feel the humidity in the house. Since those same houses were poorly insulated, they also had lots of condensation on cool surfaces which leads to mold....And mold was plainly visible in the home.

No one who knows anything about indoor air quality recommends unvented heaters as primary heat. Back up...sure they work well for that.  Excess moisture is preferable to dying of hypothermia.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I've been in many houses that use unvented heaters as the only heat source. I could feel the humidity in the house. Since those same houses were poorly insulated, they also had lots of condensation on cool surfaces which leads to mold....And mold was plainly visible in the home.

No one who knows anything about indoor air quality recommends unvented heaters as primary heat. Back up...sure they work well for that.  Excess moisture is preferable to dying of hypothermia.
View Quote
I have been performing a 36hr stress test of my emergency preparation.
I will begin a new thread on this after I finish my supper.
I’m a mechanical contractor living in a house built in 1979.
I’ve been heating the house with kerosene for the last 24 hours to gauge the performance of my heaters.
We had a low of 3F and a high of 28F with an average of  17F
The relative humidity was 25.6% in my family room in the basement where the temperature was 68F and it was 35.1% in my kitchen on the ground floor at 53F.
The only source of heat for the last 24 hours has been from my 2 kerosene heaters.
I allowed the house to cool down with no heat for 12 hours from 7:00am yesterday morning till 7:00pm last night when I turned on the 2 heaters.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top