Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/7/2022 3:30:00 PM EDT
Have received some pocket-sized "emergency fishing gear" items from County Comm and Exotac.

I know ZERO about fishing.

I reckon I'll take all the items down to local fishing/tackle shop and let the owner/proprietor examine them.

Hopefully after he stops laughing, he'll be able to make useful suggestions on how to augment them.

Will report back.

County Comm Item

Exotac Item

Exotac Item
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I always have simple fishing stuff in my truck.  Never know when you’ll find yourself near water with nothing to do.  I’ve got small hooks for perch and bigger circle hooks for throwlines or trotlines.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always have simple fishing stuff in my truck.  Never know when you'll find yourself near water with nothing to do.  I've got small hooks for perch and bigger circle hooks for throwlines or trotlines.
View Quote
Willing to bet that your personal experience and locally useful fishing gear trumps anything I have.

Going to local fishing expert seems to me to be very useful first step--for me.

I admit my ignorance, and willing to learn from experts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Willing to bet that your personal experience and locally useful fishing gear trumps anything I have.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always have simple fishing stuff in my truck.  Never know when you'll find yourself near water with nothing to do.  I've got small hooks for perch and bigger circle hooks for throwlines or trotlines.

I hear that. Honestly, I can’t remember a part of my life when fishing of some type wasn’t involved.  I fish more than I shoot, and I shoot whenever I can.

Just a basic “survival” type fishing setup would be really cheap to build. I guess that’s pretty much what I have in the truck, though unintentionally.

In a true survival situation, though, fish traps or gillnets would probably be more productive, but a few well placed throw lines might catch enough fish to provide some protein.  I don’t really worry about that kind of stuff much, though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#4]
No Expert, but I reckon successful fishing is a combination of both gear and personal skill/experience.

Since I have zero skill/experience, asking local folks to help with gear.  The rest is on me.

Understood about gill nets and so forth being useful in survival situations but illegal otherwise, and risky to practice using them.

Much obliged for your informed comments!

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#5]
While I have fished a lot over the years I pretty much suck at it.  I could care less about the latest and greatest gear.  In a survival situation I would go with the basic.  Fishing line, small basic hooks, and some type of live bait be it a worm, grub or whatever.  Small hooks can catch both small and large fish, but big hooks and lures only catch big fish.  In a survival situation any fish counts.  Think watered down flavored soup broth with a few chunks and bones in it vs a nice fish filet.

I have always been interested in those wallet card things where you pop the hooks out but have never bought one.  I always felt a few actual hooks and other things link sinkers and leaders in a pill vile would work better, but you have to have it with you to use it so 6 to 1 half a dozen the other.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#6]
My thoughts pretty much.  OTOH, and not being any sort of expert, I'm seeking expert advice.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No Expert, but I reckon successful fishing is a combination of both gear and personal skill/experience.

Since I have zero skill/experience, asking local folks to help with gear.  The rest is on me.

Understood about gill nets and so forth being useful in survival situations but illegal otherwise.

Much obliged for your informed comments!

View Quote

I probably have more experience than most, but I’m no expert either.  I’m just a dude that likes to fish.  I do listen to people that are better than me, which helps.

If I had to fish to survive, and gill nets or traps weren’t an option, I’d use small hooks to catch bait for trotlines and throw lines.  It’s a trade off, to try and catch a big meal by sacrificing a small meal. I guess that’s a trade off that must be balanced against need.  I can always catch bugs or dig worms for perch bait.  I say throw lines and trot lines because they’re passive, and the more hooks in the water, the better chance of catching something.

It’s a little like a trap or snareline- you don’t set one and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:02:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Not an expert or even an enthusiast, just a guys who has a pole and license and has dabbled before.

I came to the conclusion that for survival sake, fishing is a waste of time.

Most fish caught by fisher men are stocked (atleast where I am), not alot of natural fish.
I once spent 4 hours finishing in a stocked pond at my club, with a rod and real and a plethora of bait and lures. I caught nothing.
I thought to myself "if I can't catch a fish under perfect conditions, with decent equipment, in a stocked pond, how the hell am I gonna do it in the middle of the woods, when I'm tired and hungry, with a spool of line and a hook, and a worm from under a log?the damn water.might not even have fish!
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:47:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Survival fishing is not regular fishing. You are in RI, so do you envision salt and fresh water fishing?

Traps work for various things from fish to crab. It's been awhile since I fished the east coast, but, if I really wanted to eat, I'd be eating blue crab because you will catch them. Surf casting from beaches on the east coast yields pretty good fishing.

It's an excellent idea to talk to experts, but remember, they are fishing for fun and for the "fight" whereas you want to make sure you eat. Let them know that.

Pots, longlines, and traps feed you. Fishing poles are fun.

Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Just for shits and giggles, here is what I have behind the seat of my truck…

Using rocks for weights, I can make a couple of throw lines in 5 mins, or a trot line in 30 mins, and have the gear to fish for bait (just need a stick to use for a pole). Anywhere, any time.

The smallest hooks and the circle hooks are newest, because I used the previous ones on a camping trip to demonstrate how easy they were to use (used the braid to make throwlines and some of the mono to fish for bait.  Some of the perch hooks were also used in a creek on the side of the road when my kids were littler, because they asked if there were fish there.

I fished that way when I was in 2nd grade, and it still works today.

If I’m fishing for fun, I use the real gear.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I know this topic is probably just for fun, but what circumstances result in a need to survival fish in Rhode Island?

Maybe you need one of these:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I know this topic is probably just for fun, but what circumstances result in a need to survival fish in Rhode Island?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64501/99D07265-AC69-46DF-8CE9-B29811DE1E9A_jpe-2628507.JPG
View Quote

I have no idea. I don’t carry that stuff for survival, I just carry it for spontaneous fishing, should I feel the need.  It’s a happy coincidence that it would also make a good survival fishing kit.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69531/9F10CE5E-AA51-4696-BED8-2A4D7E8E5561-2628499.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69531/CDE88FC4-3421-403F-AC1F-3DD3EECA2F82-2628500.jpg

Using rocks for weights, I can make a couple of throw lines in 5 mins, or a trot line in 30 mins, and have the gear to fish for bait (just need a stick to use for a pole). Anywhere, any time.

The smallest hooks and the circle hooks are newest, because I used the previous ones on a camping trip to demonstrate how easy they were to use (used the braid to make throwlines and some of the mono to fish for bait.  Some of the perch hooks were also used in a creek on the side of the road when my kids were littler, because they asked if there were fish there.

View Quote

I'm familiar with trot lines but can you describe what you mean by a "throw line"?
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I say carry a seine net.  Maybe make or buy one that can double as a hammock so it's got some more purpose.  In an emergency, you cant waste time standing with a line, and a net will catch more fish than a trot line.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#15]
A fly fishing setup can catch about anything and is very compact with a 4 piece rod. A reel and box of flies takes up little space also. I keep one in my truck 24/7, under the back seat by the jack.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm familiar with trot lines but can you describe what you mean by a "throw line"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69531/9F10CE5E-AA51-4696-BED8-2A4D7E8E5561-2628499.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69531/CDE88FC4-3421-403F-AC1F-3DD3EECA2F82-2628500.jpg

Tied to something solid on one end, weighted at the other, with one or more “drops” with hooks.  You throw it where you want it to be, then tie it off.  If you have a boat, you tie it off to a tree limb that overhangs the water.  The downside of the former is that it gets fouled easily if it’s too long and has too many hooks, but it’s easy to set up.  They’re best when they dangle almost straight down with no slack between the weight on the bottom and the tie-off.

The wire leaders in my pics have easy swivel attachments for a couple of hooks, easy to assemble quickly (don’t really need this, you can make one with just lines, but it’s handy and I had a couple around.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Great grandparents and their fish trap.
Only one with a trap that size and it helped feed the village.

Set nets
Fish traps
Fish spear

Are what you need to really survive.
Single hooks are okay but takes awhile to accumulate enough to really survive on.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Tied to something solid on one end, weighted at the other, with one or more “drops” with hooks.  You throw it where you want it to be, then tie it off.  If you have a boat, you tie it off to a tree limb that overhangs the water.  The downside of the former is that it gets fouled easily if it’s too long and has too many hooks, but it’s easy to set up.  They’re best when they dangle almost straight down with no slack between the weight on the bottom and the tie-off.

The wire leaders in my pics have easy swivel attachments for a couple of hooks, easy to assemble quickly (don’t really need this, you can make one with just lines, but it’s handy and I had a couple around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#20]
if you have access within 50yd to schooling fish that are visible on the surface, a "snatch hook" works very well... it used to be legal in Florida and I was pretty good at it... basically you use a slightly weighted 12 O or so large treble hook, coupled with a stiff rod, and some heavy line... I used a large Daiwa spinning reel, but don't remember what line... you cast across the schooling fish, let the hook settle for a moment, than rip the hook through the school to foul hook the fish

additionally, if you have access to a platform or sea wall where you have visible schooled fish, even at a slight depth, a cast net works well ...the best way to gather small bait fish
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Tied to something solid on one end, weighted at the other, with one or more "drops" with hooks.  You throw it where you want it to be, then tie it off.  If you have a boat, you tie it off to a tree limb that overhangs the water.  The downside of the former is that it gets fouled easily if it's too long and has too many hooks, but it's easy to set up.  They're best when they dangle almost straight down with no slack between the weight on the bottom and the tie-off.

The wire leaders in my pics have easy swivel attachments for a couple of hooks, easy to assemble quickly (don't really need this, you can make one with just lines, but it's handy and I had a couple around.
View Quote
The wire leaders look useful, and would coil up to fit in the circular body of the "kit".  Probably get such locally when asking for advice.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64501/99D07265-AC69-46DF-8CE9-B29811DE1E9A_jpe-2628507.JPG
View Quote
Not so sure about that myself; just asking questions and at least I can assemble some decent gear before I need to use it.  Learning how to use it is up to me.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Flat card hooks like that look gimmicky.  Squared sharpe edges that seem like they would cut your line right at the knot with any degree of pressure.  Much cheaper to use normal hooks.  

I guess you could use the modern wonder braided lines but they are all solid color unlike monofilament that is a lot less visible.  

Just my hack fisherman’s opinion.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Flat card hooks like that look gimmicky.  Squared sharpe edges that seem like they would cut your line right at the knot with any degree of pressure.  Much cheaper to use normal hooks.  

I guess you could use the modern wonder braided lines but they are all solid color unlike monofilament that is a lot less visible.  

Just my hack fisherman's opinion.
View Quote
That is useful advice, and thanks!
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just my hack fisherman’s opinion.
View Quote

I’d say this is a legit concern (another hack fisherman’s opinion).

It might work for very short term use with braided line or paracord strands.  My guess is that it’d be bad for monofilament, but that’s just a guess.

It might be fun to screw around with though, and find out.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#26]
The card thing is worthless. The hand reel is slightly less worthless only because it has actual hooks and line.

You can put together a much better kit in the Walmart fishing section for under 10 bucks.

Remember, a hell of a lot of survival gear is sold as essentially, a novelty.  No one ever actually tried using it.

I would ignore the hook and line entirely and go with a small cast net.     I can feed an entire family with one as long as they are not picky as what they eat.  A couple pounds of finger mullet in 20 minutes is pretty much how I collect bait for the day.

If you have the time to stay in one location a trot line is a good idea.  Remember, you have to find bait for it too.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The card thing is worthless. The hand reel is slightly less worthless only because it has actual hooks and line.

You can put together a much better kit in the Walmart fishing section for under 10 bucks.

Remember, a hell of a lot of survival gear is sold as essentially, a novelty.  No one ever actually tried using it.

I would ignore the hook and line entirely and go with a small cast net.     I can feed an entire family with one as long as they are not picky as what they eat.  A couple pounds of finger mullet in 20 minutes is pretty much how I collect bait for the day.

If you have the time to stay in one location a trot line is a good idea.  Remember, you have to find bait for it too.
View Quote

Cast nets are big, bulky, and take skill to use.  If you’re going that way, might as well use gillnets.

The hand reel looks like a more expensive variant on using a used can for a reel, which third worlders have done for ages (and can actually work, by the way).

Trying to feed yourself with a single hook in the water is going to make for a hungry trip most of the time, unless you’re catching bait for traps/multi-hook setups.  The nice thing about them is that (aside from baiting) they’re passive, and catching food while you’re doing something else.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#28]
The goal is to assemble an emergency fishing kit, hopefully of small size/weight/bulk that is a reasonably well-set up kit with decent components.  It's possible that both fresh and saltwater fishing might be done. Things like hammocks/gill nets and so forth might well be useful, under dire circumstances.  

It's obvious that some compromises will need to be made in order to keep the kit small and light.

Listening to people who have far more experience than I do will surely help.

I'm as ignorant as can be about all this; any help from experienced folks will be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The goal is to assemble an emergency fishing kit, hopefully of small size/weight/bulk that is a reasonably well-set up kit with decent components.  It's possible that both fresh and saltwater fishing might be done. Things like hammocks/gill nets and so forth might well be useful, under dire circumstances.  

It's obvious that some compromises will need to be made in order to keep the kit small and light.

Listening to people who have far more experience than I do will surely help.

I'm as ignorant as can be about all this; any help from experienced folks will be much appreciated.
View Quote

If you ever hear me talking about surf fishing (or saltwater fishing in general), you can immediately conclude I have no clue what I’m talking about.  I’ve done it, but I can’t claim to have a clue about what I’m doing.   When I was in kindergarten, my buddy and I sat on a dock and caught little mullet with pieces of bacon on a hook. Every other time in salt water has been either random luck or me doing what some other dude says, after he’s out a boat in a particular place that (to me) looks like any of a thousand other places.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The wire leaders look useful, and would coil up to fit in the circular body of the "kit".  Probably get such locally when asking for advice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tied to something solid on one end, weighted at the other, with one or more "drops" with hooks.  You throw it where you want it to be, then tie it off.  If you have a boat, you tie it off to a tree limb that overhangs the water.  The downside of the former is that it gets fouled easily if it's too long and has too many hooks, but it's easy to set up.  They're best when they dangle almost straight down with no slack between the weight on the bottom and the tie-off.

The wire leaders in my pics have easy swivel attachments for a couple of hooks, easy to assemble quickly (don't really need this, you can make one with just lines, but it's handy and I had a couple around.

I do a good bit of fishing here in Florida (since 74)..
I would say there are some good tidbits of information here posted.
The wire leaders might be good for something? I would highly recommend using fluorocarbon for a leader. I've caught a few fish over the years and since switching from monofilament leaders to fluorocarbon leaders.. my fish hook ups and catches have substantially increased. Having a good assortment and supply of light fishing line would be good also. (6-25 lb test) Having a cast net or seine net would also be good for getting bait. Keeping a good and varied supply of numerous artificial lures, worms, and swim baits is smart. Larger lines, hooks and ropes for the bigger targets. I also use braided line now instead of mono. Also having floats & bobbers for top water fish. Split shots, egg sinkers, etc. for the bottom. Lots of other stuff to add if one wanted to.
Here are some pics. Great topic.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Flouro leaders would probably be more effective, but these were dirt cheap at Walmart and I was more interested in durability.

As for a small emergency artificial bait kit, here is my minimalist plastic worm kit (I’m a chronic overpacker)…

That doesn’t fit behind the truck seat, though.

I still have a lingering temptation to buy one of those Ti cards and try to do real fishing with it. It’s probably a waste of 15 bucks plus shipping, but I’ve blown more cash in stupider stuff.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Crap, I just realized my little fishing kit has zippers, and Raf hates zippers….
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Crap, I just realized my little fishing kit has zippers, and Raf hates zippers .
View Quote
I'll get over it, lol.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I would only use the hooks in the Country Com kit in a real survival situation where there were no other options. The Exotac reel would do nothing better then wrapping some string around a stick. I would go to Walmart and pick up a small takedown rod and reel. You can then grab a small Plano storage box and fill it with hooks and small jigs. Remember that you can catch big fish on small hooks, but you cant catch small fish on big hooks. You might want to pick up a couple of YoYo reels also.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would only use the hooks in the Country Com kit in a real survival situation where there were no other options. The Exotac reel would do nothing better then wrapping some string around a stick. I would go to Walmart and pick up a small takedown rod and reel. You can then grab a small Plano storage box and fill it with hooks and small jigs. Remember that you can catch big fish on small hooks, but you cant catch small fish on big hooks. You might want to pick up a couple of YoYo reels also.
View Quote
Good suggestions.  I think the Exotac item is kinda like a Yo-Yo rig.

A big fishing kit is desirable, but bigger than I want for an emergency kit which might have compromises but be much smaller and more portable.

Thanks for useful comments!
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

A big fishing kit is desirable, but bigger than I want for an emergency kit which might have compromises but be much smaller and more portable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a lot of good advice in this thread and a lot of ways to design a kit that serves your needs.

For a bare minimum, compact kit you might go with one of these: https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/eagle-claw-75-piece-hook-swivel-sinker-assortment and two packs of leader material.  For the leader I would get one of 4lb test and one of 8 or 10lb test but you'll need to decide what is best for your area.

Best way to start is to get some basic skills in fishing with conventional rod and reel before moving to improvised methods.  You'll need such essential skills as knot tying, properly weighting the line, lure/bait presentation, when to strike, and how to softly play the fish (or horse it in) so you don't lose it once hooked.  You're on the right track going to your local fishing store to get started but I would approach them as if you were a new angler wanting to learn the basics of road and reel and once you gain experience then mess around with survival methods.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There is a lot of good advice in this thread and a lot of ways to design a kit that serves your needs.

For a bare minimum, compact kit you might go with one of these: https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/eagle-claw-75-piece-hook-swivel-sinker-assortment and two packs of leader material.  For the leader I would get one of 4lb test and one of 8 or 10lb test but you'll need to decide what is best for your area.

Best way to start is to get some basic skills in fishing with conventional rod and reel before moving to improvised methods.  You'll need such essential skills as knot tying, properly weighting the line, lure/bait presentation, when to strike, and how to softly play the fish (or horse it in) so you don't lose it once hooked.  You're on the right track going to your local fishing store to get started but I would approach them as if you were a new angler wanting to learn the basics of road and reel and once you gain experience then mess around with survival methods.
View Quote
Much obliged for kind and useful advice and the link!

TANSTAAFL!
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you ever seen someone work a can fishing rig? It’s actually pretty neat.  That’s just a fancier version.  I can’t do it, but I’ve watched Mexican kids make it look easy.

Catching big fish on small hooks is harder than it looks. Don’t buy the mythology. Small fish can also be caught on surprisingly big hooks. Like anything else, there’s a right size tool for the job.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Have you ever seen someone work a can fishing rig? It’s actually pretty neat.  That’s just a fancier version.  I can’t do it, but I’ve watched Mexican kids make it look easy.

Catching big fish on small hooks is harder than it looks. Don’t buy the mythology. Small fish can also be caught on surprisingly big hooks. Like anything else, there’s a right size tool for the job.
View Quote

Can fishing as in wrapping the line around a can and using as a sorta hand held spinning reel?

I've done it fishing for squid in Guam and the PI and a couple times here shorefishing just for the challenge.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Can fishing as in wrapping the line around a can and using as a sorta hand held spinning reel?

I've done it fishing for squid in Guam and the PI and a couple times here shorefishing just for the challenge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah - it’s pretty neat, IMO
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:44:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah - it’s pretty neat, IMO
View Quote

Once you figure it out it is kinda fun.  Fishing for squid at night was fun.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 12:17:45 AM EDT
[#42]
around the beginning of the BHO administration I started looking at some of the "survival" videos and looked at several fishing kits... I built a proof of concept of a rather unique fishing kit.... used a large plastic pill bottle, ... drilled a couple of holes in the cap and looped a piece of para cord for a wrist loop... assorted orange and red jigs, small sinkers, plastic baits, and hooks inside, but attached one end of the monofilament and wrapped the line on the outside of the pill bottle... slip hand through the wrist loop,  and with an underhand flip, cast the bait, and let the line free unravel like a spinning reel...bicycle  inner tube section to keep the line in place when not used
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#43]
So, I've done a lot of "survival" fishing over the years. I really like Speedhooks for top water and the YoYo reels for bottom feeders; they simply work. A gill net is by far the best method once you figure out the best place to put it. We have an 11 acre stocked, spring-fed pond; makes practice much easier. I suck at frog gigging though

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So, I've done a lot of "survival" fishing over the years. I really like Speedhooks for top water and the YoYo reels for bottom feeders; they simply work. A gill net is by far the best method once you figure out the best place to put it. We have an 11 acre stocked, spring-fed pond; makes practice much easier. I suck at frog gigging though

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8425_zpsovwi1vj6.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8423_zpsix6g9fwu.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8422_zpsst9kkzld.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8420_zpshrinzznm.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8418_zps9bbh2q1r.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8417_zpsdiyz8jin.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8416_zpsi8l6cy1x.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8415_zpsgqmvwsve.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8414_zps8fsn8pfz.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8413_zpsu2q5msio.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8412_zpsovnfa8rd.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8411_zpszwct422j.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8410_zpsgbq6wfft.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/SmallSnareKit.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/SnareKitBag.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/MiniFishingKit.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/MiniFishingKitComparison.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/Fish2.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/Fish1.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/TubeFishingKit-1.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/TubeFishingKit-4.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View Quote

What are the mini-screw eyes for?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8425_zpsovwi1vj6.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8423_zpsix6g9fwu.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8422_zpsst9kkzld.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8420_zpshrinzznm.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8418_zps9bbh2q1r.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8417_zpsdiyz8jin.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8416_zpsi8l6cy1x.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8415_zpsgqmvwsve.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8414_zps8fsn8pfz.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8413_zpsu2q5msio.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8412_zpsovnfa8rd.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8411_zpszwct422j.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/DSCF8410_zpsgbq6wfft.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/SmallSnareKit.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/SnareKitBag.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/MiniFishingKit.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/MiniFishingKitComparison.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/Fish2.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/Fish1.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/TubeFishingKit-1.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/TubeFishingKit-4.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View Quote

Froggin’ is fun. Hell of a thing to survive on, though.

It’s a lot easier with a flashlight and a red Ryder bb-gun.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Fishing is typically a time intensive method of food procurement.  They only methods that are really necessary useful are the aforementioned techniques that can function unattended. You can do a heck of a lot while those methods are in use. And in a real survival situation you don’t have time to sit around.

I have a military manual from the 70’s that to feed larger groups of people, grenades work well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Fishing is typically a time intensive method of food procurement.  They only methods that are really necessary useful are the aforementioned techniques that can function unattended. You can do a heck of a lot while those methods are in use. And in a real survival situation you don’t have time to sit around.

I have a military manual from the 70’s that to feed larger groups of people, grenades work well.
View Quote

Grenades are hard to procure, heavy, and one-time use.

But they are a multi-tasker.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#48]
For coastal area bait, consider fishbites

https://fishbites.com/products/saltwater-fishbites-longer-lasting-e-z-shrimp/

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 3:12:41 AM EDT
[#49]
One good thing about this thread is it has inspired me to go fishing this weekend when I get back home.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
One good thing about this thread is it has inspired me to go fishing this weekend when I get back home.
View Quote

Hell yeah.

I need to get my boat out of the shop.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top