Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2018 3:41:31 PM EDT
Hey guys,
Just got my tag for my first elk season this year. I wanted to try to bow hunt however I have never killed game with a bow. The time I would be going would overlap bow and rifle season. Should I take a rifle or try with my bow? I would be going after a cow, not a bull. Any advice is appreciated and helpful. No GD stuff please.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#1]
A secondary weapon while bow hunting is up to your state regulations.  
Here In Idaho I carry a .357 hoping to plant a wolf.
If game was checked at a game station and a bullet hole was found in an elk during bow season, I would in for a world of hurt.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you ever shot bow? Do you have one or need a whole new setup? Now is not the time to start if bow hunting is only 3 months or so away?

PS: Is crossbow legal in your state?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to get close with a bow. Really close.

Hunting with a rifle allows you to make longer range shots, which are likely.  I got my 6x6 bull last year at 125 yards out.

Check your state regulations.  In MT, we cant hunt with rifles during bow season, but can still hunt during the general season with bows, if preferred.

Around here, most guys who hunt with a bow, will hunt with their rifle during general season if they didnt tag out during bow season.

I prefer to hunt in brutal cold weather, which it usually isnt during bow season.  Good luck and have fun.  Elk hunting is seriously addictive.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you ever shot bow? Do you have one or need a whole new setup? Now is not the time to start if bow hunting is only 3 months or so away?

PS: Is crossbow legal in your state?
View Quote
No crossbow:( yup I have two bows I shoot regular. I have a PSE evolve 32 I'd like to take hunting
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
The advantage to bow hunting is you get into the woods before the troops start stinking up the woods with their scent and chasing the elk around.
In WY bow season is while the elk are rutting with no gun hunters, otherwise you don't have much of a chance other then dumb luck.

Killing a elk with a bow as your first critter is highly unlikely and somewhat unethical to try. Judging distance and placing shots is not to be taken lightly,
a wounded elk can cover MILES in just a few minutes, and they don't reproduce as proficient as deer.

There is nothing like a clean elk kill with a bow but it is not easy.

Good luck on your trip, whatever you do!!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#6]
It really depends on how much time you have to dedicate to your hunt. The last elk I shot during archery season was on my hike out on the last day of the season. With the bow it is likely that you will get to see elk. Those elk would be dead with a rifle. With your bow you have to get close to the right elk. Any more I don’t need to kill anything so I prefer to bow hunt. I have let a lot of animals go because the shot was not perfect and I am ok with that.

Are you ok with passing on marginal shots? If so try bow hunting, it is worth the effort and due you have to pay.

FWIW, every archery elk kill I have been a part of has been extremely efficient and extremely memorable.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve killed a bunch of elk.  With a rifle

After getting a few elk at bow distances( under 50 yds) with the rifle,
I went to archery elk.  I have been close, and a rifle would have closed the deal.    Just haven’t had a clear shot for a bow yet, but this year.....

Curious why you don’t go bow only season.  That was the big draw for me, 4 weeks of bow hunting vs 5-10 days of rifle , at least in Colorado.

If I was out during Rifle season, I’d pack a rifle.

Bow season here is nice weather and lots less hunters too.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top