Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2019 9:15:06 PM EDT
I’ve recently embarked on the search for an outfitter into the Thorofare region of Wyoming. This will consist of a small group of friends/family focused on a true WILDerness elk hunt; something to burn into our memories . Hoping to find advice on outfitters that are recommended & best avoided. We plan to rifle hunt & preferably at the first phase when the elk are still bugling, but are open to the recommendation of previous hunters.

Many thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 12:22:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't help with an outfitter recommendation as I've never used any, but I've been in the Thorofare easily over 30 times in my life.  You may want to consider that Cody based outfitters will pack into the Thorofare on the Deer Ck, Ishawooa, or Eagle Ck trails. Jackson based outfitters will likely pack in on the Turpin Meadows trail. Eagle Creek isn't a bad trail, but if any of your party is afraid of heights you'll want to avoid outfitters that pack in on Deer Creek or the Ishawooa as they both have hairy passes.  (My neighbor lost a pack horse on Deer Ck just a week ago, and he's been in that way more times than me.) Turpin Meadows trail is long, but could damn near be considered a kids trail is so dang easy.

For the Thorofare being the most remote spot in the lower 48, it's gotten so crowded in the past few years that I've just stopped going in there. My idea of 'crowded' is probably different than yours, so don't let that sway you.....there's nothing like seeing that country on the back of a horse.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 2:16:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX338] [#3]
Check with Hunt Nation-  Butch Mannase.  They book at least one Thoroughfare outfitter.  I used Butch last year on a limited draw elk hunt with Trails West Outfitters in the Washakie Wilderness.  They are good people that will shoot you straight.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Google will solve your problem.

I've ran into a lot of guys that go back there and I can't speak ill of any of them. A Thorofare trip is a big boy trip regardless of going with a guide or not, and I consistently tell prospective hunters that the quality of a wilderness/backcountry hunt is on you more than the guide.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#5]
We ultimately decided to book with Mike Dailey with Horsetrack Outfitters. Came across several good recommendations & in speaking with him, i think we’ve found a good catch & the kind of hunt/operation that we’re looking for. Come on 2022
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top