BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/9/2018 2:08:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotanATFagent]
My friend plans on going out West (Wyoming area) to hike and hunt Elk

He wants to buy a rifle that will be light enough to hike with and something with enough stopping power to put an elk down humanely

He's currently looking at the Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Long Range in .300 WinMag; it's lighter than other rifles we've seen (7.5 lbs) but has a 26" barrel, which he's afraid will catch on branches as he hikes (Link to rifle)

What are your thoughts on rifle choice, caliber, barrel length?  Any other good options to consider from people who have done this before?

Any other information about hunting in the area would be greatly appreciated, we want to come out there to hunt but don't know a lot about the area
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 2:58:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deerranger] [#1]
Your friend will do well to look at the range between Labarge and Afton, the road that gets you across that area has had very good hunting for elk on our self guided hunts in the past. Only problem is there -any many public places in WY, they close the side roads due to snow just before rifle season. We always hunted that area in bow season with exceptional results.

I set up a .338 Ruger with a sweet trigger and
magnaported barrel. Sweet elk rifle, the Browing he is looking at will work just fine, a couple inches on the barrel will make little difference getting through the brush and help him if he has to pull a long distance shot.

Early, out of no where snowstorms should he his biggest worry. Hunters get stranded in WY mountains every year.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
22" Winchester Featherweight .30-06.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#3]
A Tikka T3-x lite in a non magnum and a T3-x in any magnum caliber he is comfortable with.  I have a T3 Stainless in 7mm RM and it's very light weight and accurate.  Downside to a really lite rifle is they kick enough that they are not fun to shoot a lot.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine .30-06 Weatherby Vanguard has a 24" barrel and l don't find it a problem in the timber.

I really doubt a 26" will be much of a hindrance either.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
What area?

Much of Wyoming is sagebrush desert, not thick forest.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:05:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#6]
T3 or Bergara in 6.5 creedmoor. Get onx maps to see land boundaries.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:18:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MudBug] [#7]
Barrel length won't matter other than short barrels limiting velocity.

Western hunting isn't about 75 yard shots in thick Forest, though that can happen, it is mostly about spot and stalk. Glassing hillsides at a mile away then trying to get closer for a 400 yard shot.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
If weight is his main concern then a river American would do him well. .270, 6.5, or 30-06.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Not everyone likes Browning rifles, but I have had good experience with a couple of them.

.300 winchester magnum is a great cartridge, very capable, and commonly available. I like a brake on mine to make it softer shooting, downside is very loud.

26 inch barrel shouldn't be a problem, and helps with the velocity that gives the .300 magnum its edge.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I've only killed one elk in my life, and I double lung-ed  a bull with 168gr Barnes TSX out of a .308 at 240y, as well as four other rounds through the vital area.  Damn elk still ran half a mile.

Bring enough gun.  Too much gun is not a problem.  A 30 caliber with 200gr pills going fast is a good starting point.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the .300 WM for elk.  I use a Win M70 classic stainless (26" bbl) and 200 gr. nosler partitions.

Well, I use a .270 now since I loaned my .300 to my son in law who has killed several elk with the thing.  He likes it well enough.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cvtrpr:
I've only killed one elk in my life, and I double lung-ed  a bull with 168gr Barnes TSX out of a .308 at 240y, as well as four other rounds through the vital area.  Damn elk still ran half a mile.

Bring enough gun.  Too much gun is not a problem. A 30 caliber with 200gr pills going fast is a good starting point.
View Quote
If your shooting antelope thats a good starting point. For a elk you need at the very least a 338 and 220+ grain bullet and even then I would be semi concerned. Elk are basically bullet proof and I've seen them shot through the heart,lungs and brain and still run 12 miles when people shot them with stuff like 7 mag.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:24:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fla556guy] [#13]
Originally Posted By RePp:

If your shooting antelope thats a good starting point. For a elk you need at the very least a 338 and 220+ grain bullet and even then I would be semi concerned. Elk are basically bullet proof and I've seen them shot through the heart,lungs and brain and still run 12 miles when people shot them with stuff like 7 mag.
View Quote
I guess that .30-06 and 7mm mag I'd killed plenty of elk with, 1 shot to put them down w/ a pass through were just flukes

My grandfather used a .243 on elk for years, never had a problem.  Elk are more about where you hit them, than what you hit them with.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By fla556guy:

I guess that .30-06 and 7mm mag I'd killed plenty of elk with, 1 shot to put them down w/ a pass through were just flukes

My grandfather used a .243 on elk for years, never had a problem.  Elk are more about where you hit them, than what you hit them with.  
View Quote
Absolutely. You can shoot a elk in the brain at 100 yards with a 243 and it wouldn't even phase it. People never admit to taking a half of box to kill a animal or wounding one and losing it. I feel my original post covers all the stuff you talked about.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#15]
First, that rifle is fine. I know a couple people who own them. End of that topic.

Enough for elk? 300 am is enough. More than enough. I have used 300wm, 338wm, 7mm-08 and 45-70 on elk. They all died. My favorite, other than bow, was the 7-08.

My next “elk” rifle will be a Creedmore or 260.

It is about where you hit them not what you hit them with. Big animals take longer to die with marginal shots so they travel further and get lost more often. Bullet size rarely makes up for shot placement.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Everyone wants to talk guns, but honestly it should be one of the last things on the list to consider.

Boots, binos, spotting scope, pack, sleep system, then worry about the weapon.

If you play your cards right, you’ll use it all of 10 seconds.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:04:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By GAZ32:
Everyone wants to talk guns, but honestly it should be one of the last things on the list to consider.

Boots, binos, spotting scope, pack, sleep system, then worry about the weapon.

If you play your cards right, you’ll use it all of 10 seconds.
View Quote
Ya but you'll be packing it the entire time and that means you want as light as possible.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:32:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Ya but you'll be packing it the entire time and that means you want as light as possible.
View Quote
True, but most manufacturers have a somewhat lightweight option out there. I went to 5.5lbs on my 280AI Kimber Montana, but Tikka makes a 6.5lb rifle in just about any popular caliber you want.

I’d still rather spend the money lightening the load of everything that significantly impacts hiking before focusing on a rifle.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m an archery elk hunter but I did end up on one rifle hunt a few years ago. Shot a big cow at 725 yards with a 260 Remington launching the 127 Barnes at 2900fps+. Most big-game cartridges are plenty for elk if placed properly. Larger rounds and harder bullets give you a few more options with shot angles. That’s most of the difference. I’d suggest 7 Rem Mag if you’re not a reloader. 300 WSM is another excellent choice with good factory ammo.

More important than any of that is knowledge. There are tons of good resources online these days. Know what terrain & elevation (approximate) the elk will be using then spend hundreds of hours studying topo maps and google earth to learn your chosen area(s). Have plans A through L, literally a dozen spots picked out from your research. I moved camp six times this year and went through all of my plans A-L and then some. It was a really unusual year, but that just illustrates the point. 90% of hunters fail to bag an elk because 90+% are unwilling to do the hard work required to be successful.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:21:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By greentimber:
I’m an archery elk hunter but I did end up on one rifle hunt a few years ago. Shot a big cow at 725 yards with a 260 Remington launching the 127 Barnes at 2900fps+. Most big-game cartridges are plenty for elk if placed properly. Larger rounds and harder bullets give you a few more options with shot angles. That’s most of the difference. I’d suggest 7 Rem Mag if you’re not a reloader. 300 WSM is another excellent choice with good factory ammo.

More important than any of that is knowledge. There are tons of good resources online these days. Know what terrain & elevation (approximate) the elk will be using then spend hundreds of hours studying topo maps and google earth to learn your chosen area(s). Have plans A through L, literally a dozen spots picked out from your research. I moved camp six times this year and went through all of my plans A-L and then some. It was a really unusual year, but that just illustrates the point. 90% of hunters fail to bag an elk because 90+% are unwilling to do the hard work required to be successful.
View Quote
I couldn't take this post serious once I read 127s....
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:

I prefer shorter length barrels as most of my elk are nasty black timber elk. I can still take a 400 yard poke across a meadow with a short barrel.

OP, I would concern myself more with cardio, and packing weight around. You should start now to prevent a miserable elk hunt. Spend money on a good pack, and use whatever is already in the safe.
View Quote
I would listen to this man.

I have never hunted Wyoming, but have put 16 elk in the freezer in Colorado.   Three were shot between 250-400 yds.
The rest were under 100 in timber, probably half of those under 50.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Last year one guy I was hunting with shot nearly 10 times with a .300 win mag on an elk, and I put one round downrange with a 30-06. Both of us shooting Federal copper trophy's. That bull still ran and ran. The first shot was a running shot into the opposite shoulder we think. It did bed down and would have expired, but one of the other guys jumped him. We were on the last day with 6" of snow so the three of us decided to continue pushing it. There were 6-8 hits all in the front 1/3 of him. My lesson: Elk are strong mf'ers. Shot placement and a good bullet are key on the first shot IMO.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:59:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#24]
Originally Posted By hunternanomi:
Last year one guy I was hunting with shot nearly 10 times with a .300 win mag on an elk, and I put one round downrange with a 30-06. Both of us shooting Federal copper trophy's. That bull still ran and ran. The first shot was a running shot into the opposite shoulder we think. It did bed down and would have expired, but one of the other guys jumped him. We were on the last day with 6" of snow so the three of us decided to continue pushing it. There were 6-8 hits all in the front 1/3 of him. My lesson: Elk are strong mf'ers. Shot placement and a good bullet are key on the first shot IMO.
View Quote
Wheres the BS flag at. Elk are tough they're not tiger tanks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
Really.  Lemme guess, you were hunting in Colorado and the devils lettuce fell into the campfire, everybody got fucked up as a two dollar watch, and you came up with this story?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

Really.  Lemme guess, you were hunting in Colorado and the devils lettuce fell into the campfire, everybody got fucked up as a two dollar watch, and you came up with this story?
View Quote
Are we supposed to ask permission to use people's posts as a sign line?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By flinch08:

Are we supposed to ask permission to use people's posts as a sign line?
View Quote
Nope!
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By NotanATFagent:

Nope!
View Quote
Well, in that case.......
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Lol.  Well done.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:48:58 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Serious as a heart attack. Yes in Colorado, none of that bullshit in our camp.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 5:19:35 AM EDT
[#31]

I couldn't take this post serious once I read 127s....
View Quote
Keep working at it and maybe one day you'll understand. Maybe.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By greentimber:

Keep working at it and maybe one day you'll understand. Maybe.
View Quote
Yes I understand ballistic coefficients, sectional density etc. Hence why I don't use them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MudBug:
Barrel length won't matter other than short barrels limiting velocity.

Western hunting isn't about 75 yard shots in thick Forest, though that can happen, it is mostly about spot and stalk. Glassing hillsides at a mile away then trying to get closer for a 400 yard shot.
View Quote
my western hunting is limited to colorado(near hot sulfur springs to be exact) but in my limited experience shots are not nearly as long as many often claim. My advice would be prepared for shots in the 100 to 300 range with improvised rest or no rest.  Shots typically are a little longer than back east but almost all of my shots have been in the 75 to 300 yard range(have taken one at 20 yards as well)    Not that long range shots can't happen but they can happen back east as well if you setup for it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#34]

I would listen to this man.

I have never hunted Wyoming, but have put 16 elk in the freezer in Colorado.   Three were shot between 250-400 yds.
The rest were under 100 in timber, probably half of those under 50.
View Quote
No where near 16 but thats been my experience in CO as well.  Shots aren't as long as many make them out to be unless your purposely trying to shoot long range.  Not a huge difference between there and how I hunt in PA.  I do think there are more shots in the 100 to 250 or 300 range in CO/
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Elk aren't "basically bullet proof". They aren't magical. You don't need at the very least a 338 and 220+ grain bullet. That's ridiculous.
Most of the dead Elk I've been around have been killed with archery equipment including the Elk I've killed myself. I've shot the majority of them with a 60 pound bow with arrows weighing anywhere from 378 grains to 630 grains. The kinetic energy of the archery equipment is nearly non existent in comparison to even a 243 shooting an 80 grain bullet. Thousands of Elk are hunted and killed with bow and arrows each and every year. They are anything but bullet proof.
What a hunter should be concerned with is bullet design and composition and not taking marginal shots. Shoot what you are comfortable and accurate with and know the limits of yourself and your setup. Pick a modern bullet design that will not fragment and Elk will die.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 5:02:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lucretius76] [#36]
Originally Posted By NotanATFagent:
My friend plans on going out West (Wyoming area) to hike and hunt Elk

He wants to buy a rifle that will be light enough to hike with and something with enough stopping power to put an elk down humanely

He's currently looking at the Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Long Range in .300 WinMag; it's lighter than other rifles we've seen (7.5 lbs) but has a 26" barrel, which he's afraid will catch on branches as he hikes (Link to rifle)

What are your thoughts on rifle choice, caliber, barrel length?  Any other good options to consider from people who have done this before?

Any other information about hunting in the area would be greatly appreciated, we want to come out there to hunt but don't know a lot about the area
View Quote

I think 7mm prc is a great cartridge with excellent ballistics, or 7mm mag, 7mm08 and 30-06 if you want less felt recoil.

Savage 110 in that flavor with the carbon proof research barrels would be an excellent place to look.  Seekins rifles are excellent as well.  Both will be pleasant to carry and shoot as they don't weigh a ton and recoil is more than manageable.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
OP, I would concern myself more with cardio, and packing weight around. You should start now to prevent a miserable elk hunt. Spend money on a good pack, and use whatever is already in the safe.
View Quote

This is the best advice presented so far.

Wyoming has many varied landscapes- from easy-going grasslands to some of the most brutal mountains around. Sagebrush to thick pine forest. You can find elk in a lot of those environments. Being in great shape is far more important than a pound or two on a rifle. What happens after you bag that elk and you have to shuttle the meat miles to a vehicle.

My hunting/precision rifle is a 6.5 CM AR. 11.5 lbs. with a ten round mag and bipod. I've taken it through some horrendous country around the West and Southwest. Given what it can do, never have I wished a few pounds were shaved off. Many a time I've wished that my cardio was just a little better.

Is a 7.5 lb. .300 Win. Mag or another magnum heavy enough for you to shoot comfortably to get some quality time behind the trigger before you even take it afield?
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By lew:

This is the best advice presented so far.

Wyoming has many varied landscapes- from easy-going grasslands to some of the most brutal mountains around. Sagebrush to thick pine forest. You can find elk in a lot of those environments. Being in great shape is far more important than a pound or two on a rifle. What happens after you bag that elk and you have to shuttle the meat miles to a vehicle.

My hunting/precision rifle is a 6.5 CM AR. 11.5 lbs. with a ten round mag and bipod. I've taken it through some horrendous country around the West and Southwest. Given what it can do, never have I wished a few pounds were shaved off. Many a time I've wished that my cardio was just a little better.

Is a 7.5 lb. .300 Win. Mag or another magnum heavy enough for you to shoot comfortably to get some quality time behind the trigger before you even take it afield?
View Quote

Pretty old thread, but I’m bored.

My 300 WM is 10 lbs, scoped and loaded.  Old Ruger bolt gun, re barreled with a hart bbl.   Absolutely brutal at the range, so much so really couldn’t do even 15 shots without flinching.
Then, I found a local shop making their own brakes.  Huge difference and loud AF, but like a 308 in recoil.  Now I have confidence and shoot it very well, with double ear pro lol.

Thing is, I really don’t need it for my hunts, unless I’m going to expect a 500 yard shot.
6.5 and 308 work for me and my 45/70 in the timber is really nice and light.   I really got the 6.5 for timber hunts too, when I want to thread a shot thru the aspens.   I think it’ll be fine, but I have yet to take an elk with it.

Loud AF 300.  Great brake.
Attachment Attached File

I have pulled the brake off the 6.5, not needed.  I do need a proper thread protector instead of electrical tape.   I’ll hit up Ruger, I think one was supposed to come with it.

The old marlin, I’m stuck with the ports. Stout recoil with my heavy handloads , but that has been kicked down to a mid power load and not bad recoil. Still lays elk down easily.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

No, I didn’t climb it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Pretty old thread, but I’m bored.

My 300 WM is 10 lbs, scoped and loaded.  Old Ruger bolt gun, re barreled with a hart bbl.   Absolutely brutal at the range, so much so really couldn’t do even 15 shots without flinching.
Then, I found a local shop making their own brakes.  Huge difference and loud AF, but like a 308 in recoil.  Now I have confidence and shoot it very well, with double ear pro lol.

Thing is, I really don’t need it for my hunts, unless I’m going to expect a 500 yard shot.
6.5 and 308 work for me and my 45/70 in the timber is really nice and light.   I really got the 6.5 for timber hunts too, when I want to thread a shot thru the aspens.   I think it’ll be fine, but I have yet to take an elk with it.

Loud AF 300.  Great brake.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG_3867_jpeg-3103331.JPG

I have pulled the brake off the 6.5, not needed.  I do need a proper thread protector instead of electrical tape.   I’ll hit up Ruger, I think one was supposed to come with it.

The old marlin, I’m stuck with the ports. Stout recoil with my heavy handloads , but that has been kicked down to a mid power load and not bad recoil. Still lays elk down easily.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG_0024_jpeg-3103336.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG_1030_jpeg-3103342.JPG

No, I didn’t climb it.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG_2167_jpeg-3103348.JPG
View Quote

I use my can as a thread protector and ear protector.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I’m waiting on my first can, but it’s a .22.   Tired of wrecking arrows on grouse.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Absolutely. You can shoot a elk in the brain at 100 yards with a 243 and it wouldn't even phase it. People never admit to taking a half of box to kill a animal or wounding one and losing it. I feel my original post covers all the stuff you talked about.
View Quote

Lol.  Many elk are taken every year with cartridges like 243 and 7-08.  To say "You can shoot a elk in the brain at 100 yards with a 243 and it wouldn't even phase it" is a ridiculous statement.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By jagdkommando:

Lol.  Many elk are taken every year with cartridges like 243 and 7-08.  To say "You can shoot a elk in the brain at 100 yards with a 243 and it wouldn't even phase it" is a ridiculous statement.
View All Quotes

How many elephants get poached with 7.62x39? Animal skulls aren't terribly thick. Put the bullet in the right spot, and it's goin' through.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#43]
The Hunt for a Lightweight Hunting Rifle

Hoping to have a Ti can for the 2024 edition!
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Lol.  Many elk are taken every year with cartridges like 243 and 7-08.  To say "You can shoot an elk in the brain at 100 yards with a 243 and it wouldn't even phase it" is a ridiculous statement.
View Quote

Wait you mean like sarcasm…
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:21:48 AM EDT
[#45]
T3 or Bergara in 6.5 creedmoor. Get onx maps to see land boundaries.
View Quote

Short answer right here.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:37:11 AM EDT
[#46]
That rifle would be fine. I would recommend a little shorter and lighter.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:46:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Y'all huntin plains or mountains? I've taken 3 elk in dark timber with 6.5 Grendel. If you're hunting open country, tikka or Bergera 6.5 creed should work provided you have a kestrel and a LRF.

Remember, humanely taking the animal requires the hunter to hit the vitals regardless of caliber. Train accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:52:58 AM EDT
[#48]
30-06
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cvtrpr:

Bring enough gun.  Too much gun is not a problem. A 30 caliber with 200gr pills going fast is a good starting point.

This is absolute and unmitigated elk
Manure.

Elk are not bullet brood nor are they armored like tiger tanks.

10’s of thousands of elk are killed each year worh 260’s, 7 Mag’s, 280 AI, 308, 06’s 300 mags of various flavors and a lot of other rounds smaller than a 338 WM and 225’s.

I guess all those cartridges are just useless in africa as well?

Now personally I think the 6.5 CM is a bit light on elk. But a hell of a lot of folks are doing well with it.

I don’t recall who said it above but they are correct.

Get in shape

Now get in better shape. Because if you are a flatlander the altitude will give you a rough time.

Hydrate like crazy before you leave and I take along both Gatorade powder and LMNT hydration salts.

Spend time learning your rifle and how it shoots and don’t just trust ballistic data. A buddy hunted with me one year and his rifle was shooting low by 20” when we checked zero. When he got home and took it to the range it was shooting 20” high. So check your zero after you arrive.

Learn how to glass. It’s harder than you think. Go find a hill top or ridgeline and spend time glassing. It’s also a great way to spend an afternoon and you can test out your emergency food and snacks as well.

Ensure your boots are both appropriate and well broken in. My normal hunting boots are an old worn in steer of Danner desert boots and heavy socks (same boots for Africa) but my Goretex Danners and my Kenetrek pac boots are always in my rig and I’ve had to make the change before.

Along with learning your rifle, learn to shoot from various positions including off a rock or log using your day pack. Learning to shoot off sticks is another skill you don’t want to learn for the first time on a trophy bill you’ve waited a life time for. You can make a set of tripod sticks out of about anything but bamboo works well and is very light. The various factory types like BogPod work extremely well but I went to these

https://www.africansportingcreations.com/domestic-wood-shooting-sticks.html

A couple of years ago and I love them. They are the same sticks my PH has in Africa so I get extra practice. Learning to shoot off sticks is a skill and it needs to be practiced.

Making sure you have the right clothes is also important. Wool, Wool blends other similar clothing that doesn’t make noise like nylon shelled clothing is a lot quieter. A couple of I always keep in my daypack are fleece gloves and a balaclava. The gloves are handy when it’s not as cold out and around camp.

Range finders. Get a laser one and practice with it. Trying to guess the range can get you into a long tracking job with a quickness.

Whatever cartridge you select it should have enough energy at the longest range you will shoot to get the job done. Everyone has their own opinion on what this is. For me it’s 1500 FPE at the animal.

Bullets. Premium bullets are where it’s at. Why risk an expensive hunt on cheap cup and core bullets. They are however great for practice if you reload. My personal choices are Barnes TTSX (or other maker’s equivalent, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws (Federal calls them something different know) Swift A Frames and Nosler Accubonds.

After all that pick your rifle and cartridge.

Over the years I have used the following on 24 elk

30-06 165 Barnes TSX and now the TTSX 16 elk

7x57 Mauser 150 TTSX 1 elk

308 165 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 1 elk

8mm Magnum 220 TSX 2 elk

9.3x 62 Mauser 286 TSX 1 elk

416 Taylor 400 gr TSX and Swift A Frame 2 elk

And yes once I really schlepped my 470 NE and still hunted with it for a cow.

470 NE. 500 gr TSX. 1 elk

In every single instance when I didn’t use the 06 it was along as a back up. When I used the 06
Either the 7x57 or the 8 Mag went along as the back up.

The best two years I am taking a 338-06 AI and the other year I am taking a 358 Shooting Times Alaskan using 225 grain bullets. Probably Barnes.

Learn your gear and be able to use it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 7:49:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#50]
Originally Posted By Hasher1:

This is absolute and unmitigated elk
Manure.

Elk are not bullet brood nor are they armored like tiger tanks.

10’s of thousands of elk are killed each year worh 260’s, 7 Mag’s, 280 AI, 308, 06’s 300 mags of various flavors and a lot of other rounds smaller than a 338 WM and 225’s.

I guess all those cartridges are just useless in africa as well?

Now personally I think the 6.5 CM is a bit light on elk. But a hell of a lot of folks are doing well with it.

I don’t recall who said it above but they are correct.

Get in shape

Now get in better shape. Because if you are a flatlander the altitude will give you a rough time.

Hydrate like crazy before you leave and I take along both Gatorade powder and LMNT hydration salts.

Spend time learning your rifle and how it shoots and don’t just trust ballistic data. A buddy hunted with me one year and his rifle was shooting low by 20” when we checked zero. When he got home and took it to the range it was shooting 20” high. So check your zero after you arrive.

Learn how to glass. It’s harder than you think. Go find a hill top or ridgeline and spend time glassing. It’s also a great way to spend an afternoon and you can test out your emergency food and snacks as well.

Ensure your boots are both appropriate and well broken in. My normal hunting boots are an old worn in steer of Danner desert boots and heavy socks (same boots for Africa) but my Goretex Danners and my Kenetrek pac boots are always in my rig and I’ve had to make the change before.

Along with learning your rifle, learn to shoot from various positions including off a rock or log using your day pack. Learning to shoot off sticks is another skill you don’t want to learn for the first time on a trophy bill you’ve waited a life time for. You can make a set of tripod sticks out of about anything but bamboo works well and is very light. The various factory types like BogPod work extremely well but I went to these

https://www.africansportingcreations.com/domestic-wood-shooting-sticks.html

A couple of years ago and I love them. They are the same sticks my PH has in Africa so I get extra practice. Learning to shoot off sticks is a skill and it needs to be practiced.

Making sure you have the right clothes is also important. Wool, Wool blends other similar clothing that doesn’t make noise like nylon shelled clothing is a lot quieter. A couple of I always keep in my daypack are fleece gloves and a balaclava. The gloves are handy when it’s not as cold out and around camp.

Range finders. Get a laser one and practice with it. Trying to guess the range can get you into a long tracking job with a quickness.

Whatever cartridge you select it should have enough energy at the longest range you will shoot to get the job done. Everyone has their own opinion on what this is. For me it’s 1500 FPE at the animal.

Bullets. Premium bullets are where it’s at. Why risk an expensive hunt on cheap cup and core bullets. They are however great for practice if you reload. My personal choices are Barnes TTSX (or other maker’s equivalent, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws (Federal calls them something different know) Swift A Frames and Nosler Accubonds.

After all that pick your rifle and cartridge.

Over the years I have used the following on 24 elk

30-06 165 Barnes TSX and now the TTSX 16 elk

7x57 Mauser 150 TTSX 1 elk

308 165 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 1 elk

8mm Magnum 220 TSX 2 elk

9.3x 62 Mauser 286 TSX 1 elk

416 Taylor 400 gr TSX and Swift A Frame 2 elk

And yes once I really schlepped my 470 NE and still hunted with it for a cow.

470 NE. 500 gr TSX. 1 elk

In every single instance when I didn’t use the 06 it was along as a back up. When I used the 06
Either the 7x57 or the 8 Mag went along as the back up.

The best two years I am taking a 338-06 AI and the other year I am taking a 358 Shooting Times Alaskan using 225 grain bullets. Probably Barnes.

Learn your gear and be able to use it.
View Quote

Imagine reading what you quoted and thinking it was true.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top