Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#1]
F'd himself.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Rule #1 -- If you are going to do something that you know is illegal don't do it multiple times from the exact same place against the exact same frequency using the exact same transmission format.

Rule #2 -- See Rule #1

He is lucky they only burned him for the three times that they monitored him.  They could have gotten him for much more by staking him out a few more times.

According to his bio on QRZ he has been licensed since 1962 but it states that he is currently inactive.  He also links to a personal web site that has information about exactly where his QTH is located.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Says on his QRZ page that he was no longer active.  Guess that was a lie.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Says on his QRZ page that he was no longer active.  Guess that was a lie.
View Quote

Well, he is now.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#5]
This is only a civil action and a civil penalty. I've read that the vast majority of these "small" civil penalties are never paid and never collected upon by the FCC. Most of the disturbed, insane hams that do these things and act these ways simply continue unabated. I had one guy stalking me for a while on the airwaves. He would find my QSOs and do some crazy shit. This went on for two weeks until he got bored and moved on to torture someone else. I looked him up. He already had three judgements against him by the FCC. AFIAK, he never paid a dime, and probably continues unabated to this day.

If you are a major violator and subject to 6 or 7 figure penalties, the FCC will come after you for their money. However such judgements are generally reserved for infractions of the lucrative and competitive common carrier and broadcast markets, not LMR or amateur stuff.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Once you realize just how big of an ass you have to be to get the FCC's attention, you stop
stressing over forgetting to ID that third time after 30 minutes.

They went after a CBer this week as well for doing similar things to what this guy did.

Someone on another forum said that the $24K fine is one thing, but the real punishment here is he has to pay it via CORES.

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Once you realize just how big of an ass you have to be to get the FCC's attention, you stop
stressing over forgetting to ID that third time after 30 minutes.

They went after a CBer this week as well for doing similar things to what this guy did.

Someone on another forum said that the $24K fine is one thing, but the real punishment here is he has to pay it via CORES.

View Quote

That exact thought crossed my mind this morning after reading the FCC notice.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Was this the guy harassing the HHH net on 7.190?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

On November 29, 2022, an agent from the San Francisco Office drove to Burney,
California, to continue to investigate the complaints. The agent monitored frequency 3.908 MHz and
used direction finding techniques again to identify the source of the transmissions as Beaudet’s amateur
radio station, N6PJB, which he was operating at his residence in Burney, California. The agent monitored
the transmissions emanating from Beaudet’s station for approximately an hour and a half that evening and
heard him playing recordings on 3.908 MHz, causing interference to the ongoing WARFA net and again
failing to identify with his assigned call sign. On December 1, 2022, an agent from the San Francisco
Office again returned to Burney, California, to continue to investigate the complaints. Once again, the
agent monitored frequency 3.908 MHz and using direction findings techniques identified the source of the
transmissions as Beaudet’s amateur radio station, which he was operating at his residence in Burney,
California. The agent monitored the transmissions from Beaudet’s station for approximately one hour
that evening and heard Beaudet playing recordings on 3.908 MHz causing interference to the ongoing
WARFA net without providing his assigned call sign.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 12:39:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is only a civil action and a civil penalty. I've read that the vast majority of these "small" civil penalties are never paid and never collected upon by the FCC. Most of the disturbed, insane hams that do these things and act these ways simply continue unabated. I had one guy stalking me for a while on the airwaves. He would find my QSOs and do some crazy shit. This went on for two weeks until he got bored and moved on to torture someone else. I looked him up. He already had three judgements against him by the FCC. AFIAK, he never paid a dime, and probably continues unabated to this day.

If you are a major violator and subject to 6 or 7 figure penalties, the FCC will come after you for their money. However such judgements are generally reserved for infractions of the lucrative and competitive common carrier and broadcast markets, not LMR or amateur stuff.
View Quote

Whatever happened to just putting a thumb tack (or needle with the end clipped for the more discrete) through the guy's coax?
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:32:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Whatever happened to just putting a thumb tack (or needle with the end clipped for the more discrete) through the guy's coax?
View Quote

That can get you killed, which is probably why it doesn't happen much anymore.

Someone I casually knew in CB radio circles took a .357 to the chest while he was doing that in the mid-1980s.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#12]
.deleted
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#13]
so when I read the document it says six months of complaints. Three months investigating and then they sent a letter. another month before thy made contact with Him and another year before they filed the court action. and Probably 3-4 months before formal complaints were made. The notice also notes that Leon has a history with the FCC of ignoring them and violations.  Top Men.
There was a guy here in Irwin PA that finally had equipment seized after 11 years of complaints, letters, visits, notices of proposed forfeiture and He just kept on jamming (ham operator). 11 years to finally take action. And 6 months later hes back on the air.  They really don't give a crap.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
so when I read the document it says six months of complaints. Three months investigating and then they sent a letter. another month before thy made contact with Him and another year before they filed the court action. and Probably 3-4 months before formal complaints were made. The notice also notes that Leon has a history with the FCC of ignoring them and violations.  Top Men.
There was a guy here in Irwin PA that finally had equipment seized after 11 years of complaints, letters, visits, notices of proposed forfeiture and He just kept on jamming (ham operator). 11 years to finally take action. And 6 months later hes back on the air.  They really don't give a crap.
View Quote

Like any other criminal act, IF you REALLY want to be a criminal and you keep working at it you can. If your are frightened and want to change your ways then you will stop. But if you are determined, you can keep going. Nothing really stops offenders unless they do something they cant come back from like threaten a police officer with a knife or gun. They get their ticket punched, then that ends the problem right then and their. But even prison sentences are usually plead down and paroled. The idea is that prison will "re-habilitate" a perp. Of course it never does. Or so rarely to be statistically insignificant.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 3:44:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The idea is that prison will "re-habilitate" a perp. Of course it never does. Or so rarely to be statistically insignificant.
View Quote

Prison doesn't really do anything for the prisoners.  What it does do, is serve as a deterrent for potential criminals who make a risk/reward analysis before committing crimes.

I think sentences are too lenient to serve this purpose well for some segments of society for whom a short prison sentence is a lateral or even upward adjustment to their quality of life.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Prison doesn't really do anything for the prisoners.  What it does do, is serve as a deterrent for potential criminals who make a risk/reward analysis before committing crimes.

I think sentences are too lenient to serve this purpose well for some segments of society for whom a short prison sentence is a lateral or even upward adjustment to their quality of life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The idea is that prison will "re-habilitate" a perp. Of course it never does. Or so rarely to be statistically insignificant.

Prison also serves as an excellent social networking and learning center. They can meet more professional criminals and network with them and learn more tradecraft from them inside the joint. They can  then apply this new information and new associations when they are released. As trade schools go, prison is a fairly effective one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Prison also serves as an excellent social networking and learning center. They can meet more professional criminals and network with them and learn more tradecraft from them inside the joint. They can  then apply this new information and new associations when they are released. As trade schools go, prison is a fairly effective one.
View Quote

Prison is a school for the criminal trades, but I don’t think they have a very good program for the HAM radio crimes.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Prison is a school for the criminal trades, but I don’t think they have a very good program for the HAM radio crimes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, most of the Ham criminals are just home grown, self educated and inspired psychopaths. Misanthropic "sad hams".  To say they have a "screw loose" is an affront to actual screws.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Why is there no equipment forfeiture?

Seems if he’s making all these violations they should be able to seize his gear and antenna and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why is there no equipment forfeiture?

Seems if he’s making all these violations they should be able to seize his gear and antenna and all that jazz.
View Quote

Probably because they'd have to catch him in the act of using the equipment or get him to admit to using it. A transmitter itself is not inherently illegal to own, as one can use it to listen without a license.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top