Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2023 1:48:21 AM EDT
Speak to me about edgers.

This is not for me and personal use around the house.  This is for the trap club I spend way too much time working on.  We have 18 trap fields, each field has roughly 400' of edging, we have 5 skeet fields, roughly the same amount of edging as a trap field, we have sidewalks, benches on concrete pads, etc.  Must be close to 10,000 feet of edge to deal with.  The club has an old craftsman edger the guy that used to deal with the edging absolutely hated.  It's been 4 or 5 years since it was edged and it needs it.  What edger do I need to look at that will hold up to that kind of volume?  

A.) No, I don't think we're going to hire a lawn service to come in and do 10,000 ft of edging.

B.) No, I'm not going to even try it with a string trimmer.  

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 3:22:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Speak to me about edgers.

This is not for me and personal use around the house.  This is for the trap club I spend way too much time working on.  We have 18 trap fields, each field has roughly 400' of edging, we have 5 skeet fields, roughly the same amount of edging as a trap field, we have sidewalks, benches on concrete pads, etc.  Must be close to 10,000 feet of edge to deal with.  The club has an old craftsman edger the guy that used to deal with the edging absolutely hated.  It's been 4 or 5 years since it was edged and it needs it.  What edger do I need to look at that will hold up to that kind of volume?  

A.) No, I don't think we're going to hire a lawn service to come in and do 10,000 ft of edging.

B.) No, I'm not going to even try it with a string trimmer.  

View Quote

I'm very sorry. I hope I'm the only one who was so confused by your post. I didn't see it was in the Outdoors section at first. I took "Edgers" to mean something else entirely and then when you said its for your trap club, It made me so confused. You accidently used a lot of words in your post that have alternative meanings. I just had to laugh.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I would not get a hand held to do that much. I would go to my closest Stihl, Husqvarna, or Echo dealer and check them out. Preferably with an excellent service department. Used infrequently, it will probably need service every year or so.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought this thread was going to be about Miss Fluo
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Go to your local Stihl dealer and talk to them.

No way in hell I'd use much anything else. Maybe an Echo. Maybe.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#5]
The craftsman we have is a walk behind.  I don't remember why the guy that used it hated it - I think maybe it's worn out and hard to keep it going. Spent more time trying to get it running than edging.

These seem to come up on Google searching for commercial edgers. McLane.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I've used the Echo PAS-225SB with the edging attachment on my smallish residential lawn for the past 5 or so years and it works great. Don't think it'd have any trouble tackling larger jobs though. I like it's quick change feature so I can edge or weed eat on a single machine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!  Just out of my discretionary spending budget, but I'll run it past the board.  We have a big shoot second week of July and I'd like it done by then.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 11:11:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Update-ish.  What I had forgotten was my friend who used to do the edging at the club did hate the clubs craftsman edger.  He talked the board into letting him buy a new edger - I was on the board at the time, but had forgotten I guess.  Anyway, he had the club buy a Husqvarna walk behind.  Sometime later he started having health issues and no one took over the edging. The last person to use it put mixed gas in it.  It's been sitting since. It's been drained, new plug put in it. Supposed to be ready to go.  My friend passed from pancreatic cancer 3 years ago I think, he hadn't edged for one to 2 years before that.  So it's been 4 or 5 years since anyone made a serious attempt at this.

I started it today and did probably 1800 feet of edging with it.  Works well - I just need too figure out how to keep it up tight against the concrete where the grass has grown out over the concrete.  I got a little better as the day progressed but still have a tendency to drift away from the concrete.  Hard work, one pass with edger, one pass with a scaper to break loose bigger grass strips, one pass with rake and shovel to clean up the bigger pieces, final pass with a blower to blow dirt and grass off the concrete.  Took me about 1-1/2 hrs for one combo skeet - trap field.  I did three of these overlay fields today, try to get 2 more done tomorrow. After that there are 13 more trap fans to do (probably 45 minutes each).  The blade survived maybe 2 of these skeet - trap overlay fields.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Done.  11,000 ft edged.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top