Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2020 11:37:22 PM EDT
I have a Gunslinger II I just got and Im trying to figure out the best kit for both my rifle, sidearm, and 72-hour bugout type setup.

What is your lsit of products you'd put in this bag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWGK-JrfhTA

I like this guys list, but Im not hunting.  I'd be bugging gout in an urban environment during civil unrest and or earthquake.  Climate:  Hot to temperate.  

Specific products and rationale much appreciated!  Or just links to existing links and videos.

All thats in it right now is a DDM4V7, and either a Sig 220 or HKUSP.  Ammo load: unknown.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a Gunslinger II I just got and Im trying to figure out the best kit for both my rifle, sidearm, and 72-hour bugout type setup.

What is your lsit of products you'd put in this bag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWGK-JrfhTA

I like this guys list, but Im not hunting.  I'd be bugging gout in an urban environment during civil unrest and or earthquake.  Climate:  Hot to temperate.  

Specific products and rationale much appreciated!  Or just links to existing links and videos.

All thats in it right now is a DDM4V7, and either a Sig 220 or HKUSP.  Ammo load: unknown.

Thanks.
View Quote

My son "borrowed" my G2, but I also have the larger Operator G4.  I prefer the smaller G2 for a 72-hour/bug-home bag as it's more svelte and keeps the weight down.  The rifle compartment pushes the weight of your pack further from your center of gravity, so while these packs are designed to haul some heavy weight, it can cause balance issues (just something to be aware of).  

He had a lot of hunting stuff in his pack and he's short on some significant priorities.  More water containers, at least some collapsible CNOC or Platypus containers.  While I like the Sawyer Mini for backpacking, I've had some failures which aren't an issue for shorter section hikes.  I would opt for the larger Squeeze filter and some backup chemical purification means.  There was zero insulation.  The G2 isn't going to give you much room for that, but it's sorely lacking in his loadout.  While I'm a huge advocate for layering, when you're moving fast and hard, you need to drop the layers and you need pack that they can be stuffed in or strapped to.  

For almost a 4-season setup in my older day-hike/bug-home bag, I carried a JRB Sierra Stealth quilt/poncho (water proof down) with a couple extra oz. of 850+fill; good to about 35 degrees.  I had a ponch/tarp bivvy-combo (Exped), 3/4 Klymit ground pad, ENO 7.0 hammock, and a heavier SOL Bivvy bag.  I have various iterations, but this basic set lets me go from hot/humid/wet conditions to colder conditions that force me to ground.  

If I was to go really slim, get a good poncho/tarp, a sit pad and a poncho liner or similar variation.  If you're talking 3-4 days, you can suffer through it, but if it's more than 3-4 days, lack of good sleep will be a significant threat vector.  This is an older Osprey Manta 34 liter pack and the Gunslinger is listed as 45-liters, so you should really be able to pack in more than enough of "essential" gear as a 72-hour bag.  I do like the idea that my G2 will make a folding stock AR pistol basically disappear.

MRE's are bulky.  Maybe a main entrée, a brew kit (coffee, tea, cocoa, instant soup, instant oatmeal), and a half-to-dozen energy bars will get keep you going for 50-60 miles/3-4 days.  

Pack weight is important.  I really don't know if the guy regularly backpacks, but if you're not conditioned for the weight it can be problematic with both fatigue, potential for mechanical injuries, and loss of situational awareness.  

Sure, a lot of cool stuff, but stay mission-focused or at least define the mission to orient the right choices in gear.  You can't plan for everything, but with a decent, well-thought out plan and supporting kit, it's much easier to adapt or improvise when the situation changes.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey ROCk 6

Man thanks this is an awesome comprehensive answer.  Sorry I didnt get back to it - my alerts aren't set up right.

Quick follow-up:  what med kit / IFAK do you recommend for two people?

I have a MediTac Premium IFAK Kit in my cart right now that I figure I can break out into a High Speed Gear Pouch for range days as needed.

What are you medical / trauma recommendations for this bag setup we're talking about?

Link Posted: 9/28/2020 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey ROCk 6

Man thanks this is an awesome comprehensive answer.  Sorry I didnt get back to it - my alerts aren't set up right.

Quick follow-up:  what med kit / IFAK do you recommend for two people?

I have a MediTac Premium IFAK Kit in my cart right now that I figure I can break out into a High Speed Gear Pouch for range days as needed.

What are you medical / trauma recommendations for this bag setup we're talking about?

View Quote

@Lavaspit11

I’ve been certified as a Wilderness First Responder (long sense lapsed) and Combat Life Saver (pretty basic stuff), but there are much smarter peeps than me on this forum when it comes to the medical side of things.

For backpacking, I accept a lot more risk and my “FAK” is very basic, small, and light.  For bugging home stuff, the worst fear (other than a gun-shot wound) is a mechanical injury.  While I would try and have a med kit for each individual, if you’re planning for two, you could carry some additional items for both…such as a SAM splint, a couple ACE rolls, etc.  I’ve also found KT Tape (kinesiology tape) an excellent preventative application if you have a suspect ankle or knee.  That tape is actually good to put over hot spots to prevent getting a blister in the first place (this has proven to help me when hiking in the rain where your feet get soft and blister even though I rarely if ever get a blister).

OTC meds that deal with pain are good to have on hand.  Benadryl for inflammation, especially if stung by a bug.  Medical tape and gauze (pads and rolls) will handle 90% of your typical boo-boos, but I still like a few knuckle and finger band aids.

Serious use of celox, CAT, chest seals, and combat bandages should have some training.  While in-person from a certified trained is preferred, you can work around reputable on-line sources and DIY training sessions.  The combat bandages (think Israeli types) are good for bad lacerations, so they have value beyond a worse-case gunshot wound.  While blood clot stuff, CATs and chest seals are easy to learn how to use effectively (and you should train on them routinely), they also pretty much require an immediate medivac unless it’s very superficial.  Don’t over pack your med kit unless you’re a medic in support of several people or it’s a vehicle-based kit.  I’ve seen some packing a five-pound comprehensive kit that could support a third-world village for a month, but that’s simply over doing it with a lot of unnecessary weight and with many items that are hard to keep tabs on with expiration dates.  Keep it simple.  Packing all the “what-if’s” often highlights inexperience and that ends up in more weight than safe to carry.  Hope that helps, but post up your situation and experience and as for some med advice on training and kit components…there are already some really good posts with experienced, currently certified medics.

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top