Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2022 7:21:54 PM EDT
What’s the conventional wisdom on emp effect on modern cars? If we get emp’ed will my car start?
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What’s the conventional wisdom on emp effect on modern cars? If we get emp’ed will my car start?
View Quote

Don't count on it starting
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Non issue for the vast majority of vehicles. Sandia Labs did a bunch of simulator testing,
most cars were unaffected, some needed to be power cycled, and IIRC one died.

EMP really needs long conductors (like in a power grid) to hurt something. If you're close enough
that an EMP affects something with short conductors like a car or handheld device, you have much
larger concerns than the EMP.

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#3]
As is said, 'Hope is a Poor Defense'.
Consider perusing:  https://disasterpreparer.com/ for EMP protection products.
They have devices for cars, generators, solar, entire homes.  Government agencies use these same devices.
People store their critical gear in the fabric EMP bags, like rifles with mounted NV and Thermal electronics, radios, range finders, etc.
Critical gear, can't be replaced - after an EMP.  Good luck to everyone...

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
[b]

EMP really needs long conductors (like in a power grid) to hurt something. If you're close enough
that an EMP affects something with short conductors like a car or handheld device, you have much

View Quote

This.

Can we please stop the EMP/vehicle bullshit?

Some additional information...

Go check the PCM under the hood of your car.  You know, the computer thingy that's ALREADY INSIDE A FUCKING FARADAY CAGE??

You think those little spark plug thingies firing off dozens of times every second at 35,000 volts might be creating a little EMP?  I'm driving down the highway doing 80 in my pickup.  V8 engine humming along at 2000 RPM.  That's 133 sparks of 35,000 volts EVERY SECOND happening underhood. Maybe some EMP happening?
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are worried about your car, you should be more concerned that even hardened military vehicles may not start.

"Russia has “Super-EMP” weapons specialized for HEMP attack that potentially generate 100,000
volts/meter or higher, greatly exceeding the U.S. military hardening standard (50,000 volts/meter)
"

The Russian Federation’s Military Doctrine, Plans, and Capabilities for Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Non issue for the vast majority of vehicles. Sandia Labs did a bunch of simulator testing,

View Quote

Correct! But electric power would be down for months maybe years.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As is said, 'Hope is a Poor Defense'.
Consider perusing:  https://disasterpreparer.com/ for EMP protection products.
They have devices for cars, generators, solar, entire homes.  Government agencies use these same devices.
People store their critical gear in the fabric EMP bags, like rifles with mounted NV and Thermal electronics, radios, range finders, etc.
Critical gear, can't be replaced - after an EMP.  Good luck to everyone...

View Quote

In addition to Art's stuff, there's a good document that lays out a lot of good info for both man-made and geomagnetic storm EMP. It also has good info on things you can do to protect your home and devices. Levels 1 and 2 are easily doable for most folks. Level 3 may be doable for a local/state EOC. Level 4 is Uncle Sam level.

https://www.cisa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/19_0307_CISA_EMP-Protection-Resilience-Guidelines.pdf
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#8]
nm.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  Modern vehicles are already fairly EMP protected.  I have a MIL generator that is EMP hardened and the shielding in my car is better.

Power grid will be toast and take decades to repair.  Power companies barely keep enough stock of repair parts to fix normal stuff.  Having to repair the entire grid is not feasible.  Not enough parts and no grid power or factory capacity to produce more.

Any EMP of notable size would cause total collapse of society as we know it.  People are soft and completely lack practical skills such as farming, ranching, blacksmithing etc.

You car is the least of your concerns.  Keep a few small generators and a healthy supply of fuel available.  Invest in solar, wind and battery backups.  DO NOT connect these anywhere near grid power.  Stock spare appliances, radios, etc NOT connected to grid power.  At leaat you will have something to work with for a while after an EMP.

After that, buy some beer and dont fret about it.  The woke shit crowd will likely destroy our country before an EMP
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 2:11:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Not to revive a dead thread...

But food for thought: we don't have any clue what will actually happen in an EMP. It's all theory and conjecture. Simply because it's never actually happened.

The few "Squanto Terror" tests that were done over Johnson Island in the 50's knocked out streetlights in Honolulu. But the earth magnetic field over Johnson Island is going to be way different than the magnetic field over N Dakota. It's generally thought that an EMP would have more juice to work with, the closer to the magnetic poles.

In the end, we don't actually have a clue. Is a modern car a faraday cage, or is it a fiberglass shell with sensitive microprocessors? Will an EMP knock out everything, or nothing?

Nobody actually knows, because it's never actually happened that we're aware of.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But food for thought: we don't have any clue what will actually happen in an EMP. It's all theory and conjecture. Simply because it's never actually happened.

The few "Squanto Terror" tests that were done over Johnson Island in the 50's knocked out streetlights in Honolulu. But the earth magnetic field over Johnson Island is going to be way different than the magnetic field over N Dakota. It's generally thought that an EMP would have more juice to work with, the closer to the magnetic poles.

In the end, we don't actually have a clue. Is a modern car a faraday cage, or is it a fiberglass shell with sensitive microprocessors? Will an EMP knock out everything, or nothing?

Nobody actually knows, because it's never actually happened that we're aware of.
View Quote

They do some testing in EMP rooms, so they know some things.

I wouldn't be too scared of EMP knocking out cars/electronics.  I would be more concerned of it knocking out entire electrical grids and maybe frying whatever was connected to those grids.

That would be something that may take a decade or more to recover from.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Welcome fellow firearms enthusiast.  Did you create a new account just to respond to this thread?

Sure, no specific EMP tests have been done, and obviously can't be done.  But the facts are:

1) EMP field strength disperses/weakens to the cube of the distance.  In other words, strength drops quite rapidly as distance increases.
2) The spark plugs in a car create quite a bit of EMP, and they're also damn close to a lot of computery stuff underhood
3) The Faraday cages around the computery stuff in the car protect them from EMPs, whether from a spark plug or nuclear bomb
4) Yes, long conductors, like the transmission lines of our electric grid, are more likely to have potential issues with EMP.  But power lines are frequently and routinely struck by lightning, which is a hell of a lot more voltage and amperage than what would be generated by an EMP.  Yet lightning rarely brings down any significant part of the grid.  Why is that?
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#13]
A typical lightning flash is about 300 million Volts and about 30,000 Amps. In comparison, household current is 120 Volts and 15 Amps.
View Quote

https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-power#:~:text=Weather.gov%20%3E%20Safety%20%3E%20How,120%20Volts%20and%2015%20Amps.

I don't know how many volts or amps would be in a large scale man made EMP...

I would be far more worried about another Carrington Event than anything man made:

https://www.history.com/news/a-perfect-solar-superstorm-the-1859-carrington-event

A geomagnetic storm is going to have a nasty effect on anything attached to the grid, vehicles probably not so much in my opinion.  Unless you have one of the kinds that's plugged in when it happens
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Welcome fellow firearms enthusiast.  Did you create a new account just to respond to this thread?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, I heard this was a good firearms forum, and honestly I was looking for a AR build help in my area since I don't have the tools/skillz to turn my blank upper into a true EBR.

Quoted:Sure, no specific EMP tests have been done, and obviously can't be done.  But the facts are:

1) EMP field strength disperses/weakens to the cube of the distance.  In other words, strength drops quite rapidly as distance increases.
2) The spark plugs in a car create quite a bit of EMP, and they're also damn close to a lot of computery stuff underhood
3) The Faraday cages around the computery stuff in the car protect them from EMPs, whether from a spark plug or nuclear bomb
4) Yes, long conductors, like the transmission lines of our electric grid, are more likely to have potential issues with EMP.  But power lines are frequently and routinely struck by lightning, which is a hell of a lot more voltage and amperage than what would be generated by an EMP.  Yet lightning rarely brings down any significant part of the grid.  Why is that?

Tests have been done in rooms, but nothing beats a real world test. From what I understand, a nuke going off in space could sweep all the electrons into the atmosphere and do some serious damage. But this is all theoretical from what I understand. I don't know... I just want to be prepared for whatever.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#15]
It's hard to predict.  An EMP from a nuclear detonation is VERY hard to replicate for testing.  From what I've read, a lot of newer cars only had minor issues after testing (but that test isn't quite what a real EMP attack would do, either.) The intensity and speed of the pulse are tough to create on a small scale.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Read the wiki article about the Soviet Project K Nuclear tests. Note that there is no information about vehicles. Surely, there had to be some operating in the area. Does the omission mean anything? Good question, but probably not applicable to modern day cars anyway since early 1960 cars had little or no semiconductors in them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
since early 1960 cars had little or no semiconductors in them.
View Quote

They also had metal shielding... unlike modern fiberglass cars.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#18]
You'd better hope like hell that an EMP kills automobiles.

If they survive the pulse, there will be millions of starving people using up all available fuel in a never ending search for food and supplies.

All those cars full of hungry people on the roads with no traffic lights and no functioning infrastructure to support them.

Bad times.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If they survive the pulse, there will be millions of starving people using up all available fuel in a never ending search for food and supplies.

All those cars full of hungry people on the roads with no traffic lights and no functioning infrastructure to support them.

Bad times.
View Quote

Luckily most people don't keep much more than half a tank of gas in their vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Luckily most people don't keep much more than half a tank of gas in their vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad times.

Not really going to be a big problem. This is what it will look like (from my trip to Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria hit):

Link Posted: 11/6/2022 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No, I heard this was a good firearms forum, and honestly I was looking for a AR build help in my area since I don't have the tools/skillz to turn my blank upper into a true EBR.

Tests have been done in rooms, but nothing beats a real world test. From what I understand, a nuke going off in space could sweep all the electrons into the atmosphere and do some serious damage. But this is all theoretical from what I understand. I don't know... I just want to be prepared for whatever.
View Quote

@zapthycat

Please expound on that part I bolded, for us non-sciency types.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
since early 1960 cars had little or no semiconductors in them.

None of my vehicles are fiberglass?  Plastic trim panels and dampening material but the three vehicles I have, have a steel body.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not really going to be a big problem. This is what it will look like (from my trip to Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria hit):

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191393/20171113_144812-363958.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad times.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191393/20171113_144812-363958.jpg

This makes me glad I live where I live.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
"From what I understand, a nuke going off in space could sweep all the electrons into the atmosphere and do some serious damage."
@zapthycat
Please expound on that part I bolded, for us non-sciency types.
View Quote

So, I'm far from a subject matter expert, or a scientist of any sort. My knowledge is based on research from the experts, with "expert" being highly theoretical, simply because this has never happened before. A lot of this research was based on x-ray lasers as part of the "Star wars" program, of being able to stop ICBMs while they were in low orbit.

But the gist of it is this: When a nuke goes off in space the EMP is caused by sweeping the electrons from the earths magnetic field onto the ground below, that's why traditional earth-dropped nukes won't cause an EMP. Of course, the magnetic field is stronger at the poles, so the further north (or south, not that there's much there to target) the bomb is set off, the stronger the EMP will hit. So Florida isn't going to be as nearly as heavily affected as North Dakota. Brazil isn't going to feel the effect as much as Florida. And an EMP wouldn't be world-wide, either, it would have to effect the northern portion of, say a continent.

But this is all SO very theoretical. So take it with a shaker of salt. This is why when someone says that "EMP is no threat", or "EMP is a major threat" I tend to roll my eyes. No reason to be dogmatic and assume that your answer is 100% correct.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#25]
How Would a Nuclear EMP Affect the Power Grid?

Report to go with the video.

https://www.epri.com/research/products/3002014979
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#26]

That video leans heavily on the EPRI paper on the potential impacts to the grid of EMP.  The presenter mentions that the paper is "not without criticism" but doesn't give attention to the criticisms.

Read the counterpoints to the EPRI paper's industry-serving assumptions and you'll see that "not without criticism" is a gross understatement.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That video leans heavily on the EPRI paper on the potential impacts to the grid of EMP.  The presenter mentions that the paper is "not without criticism" but doesn't give attention to the criticisms.

Read the counterpoints to the EPRI paper's industry-serving assumptions and you'll see that "not without criticism" is a gross understatement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The counterpoints article was quite interesting. To be sure, there probably is some reasonable scientific debate to be had on things like field strengths, optimal burst altitude, failure percentages, etc. What I don't think is taken into account in the EPRI report (or the counterpoint article) is cascade failure analysis (although it is alluded to in the EDTF article). There have been multiple "large" scale blackouts due to cascade failure and pre-emptive rolling blackouts to try to prevent a total cascade failure (eg the Great Texas Deep Freeze fiasco).

If multiple parts of the power grid (generating plants, transmission lines/controls, distribution lines/controls, etc.) get clobbered simultaneously, that will likely result in a cascade failure of the grids as a whole. A solar storm induced event would be less damaging to parts of the grid but might end up collapsing the grids anyway.

I have doubts of the utility of a high-altitude nuclear EMP burst by our adversaries since the launch of such would be both detected and would trigger WW3 (or at least a proportional nuclear response). In that instance, whether your iPhone works or not might end up being the least of your worries. By the same token, a very large magnetic storm is "overdue" and it would be very, very difficult to overcome unless the storm only hit regionally (ie like North and South America were hit but Europe and the Far East were spared).

As far as preps for such an event (whether naturally occurring or due to malevolence), it would seem to me that by having a very energy efficient home with the ability to generate your own power (solar, etc.) and whole home surge/EMP protection would likely provide self sufficiency long enough for the power grid to come back up. If not, then "defensive" measures would end up being more valuable.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Correct! But electric power would be down for months maybe years.
View Quote

So? If you protect your stuff, you can still it off gennys, solar, batteries... any number of things.

If it's fried, well...
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't forget to protect the generators and solar cells. Charger controllers and field control circuits would be as vunerable as any other exposed wiring.

IF there is a risk.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Partly it's going to depend on when the car was made. Cars of the 1960's and before with carburetors and point ignitions aren't going to be bothered much by any kind of EMP. You might end up with a fried starter, ignition coil and/or alternator, possibly a damaged battery, but that's really all that can go wrong from even a very high frequency EMP pulse. Today's cars that are run entirely by computers are a different matter. A long wave EMP pulse won't effect them, but if you have ever tried welding on one with a TIG welder you found out they are extremely sensitive to high frequency signals as soon as you struck an arc and blew both the PCM and BCM. EMP from a nuclear blast will be very long wavelength, if someone ever figures out how to put real power into a high frequency EMP pulse then they could kill about anything electrical. Long wave lengths need long antennae to be picked up, power grids with hundreds of miles of wires acting as antennae will absorb a lot of power from a nuclear EMP pulse. Cars with wires maybe 15 feet long to act as antennae might absorb a microwatt or two worth of power from that same nuclear EMP pulse; not nearly enough to hurt the electronics.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I think the 12 valve Cummins will start, the powerchoke probably not. Or is it just because it's cold out.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Most modern cars will NOT be affected.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#34]

That information is good as far as I can tell.  My brother was a Lineman for years and another close friend still works in the trade.

This is the post quoted from the GD discussion and is good info for here:

Quoted:

Not an "expert," but I appreciate the shout-out. I work with the HV transmission grid every week (substation operator0, but I'm barely 25% of an engineer or designer.

Yes, a CME or other solar (or cosmic event, such as a strong source of cosmic rays bombarding us from nearby) could happen any moment. Usually we get about 3 days warning for a strong flare or minor CME, something that can fuck up satellites and comm systems but not so much hurt the grid.

The Carrington Event arrived in something like 17 hours. We've seen many other strong CME's that weren't pointed right at us travelling at similar speed. For reference, the sun is about 8.5 light-minutes away, so 17 hours is an eternity in light speed terms, but a very short time for human reactions.

It's my (limited) understanding that the charged particles streaming past the lines/equipment cause potentially serious voltage spikes. Voltage causes "movement," amperage causes "heat." Too much amperage melts things, too much voltage twists things. But, there's a more insidious damage. High voltage breaks down electrical insulation. It jumps gaps (movement). That's why as the voltage climbs, the size of insulators, amount of insulating oil/gas and size of equipment, and minimum approach distance increases.

A transformer is a miracle. And yet, it's nothing more than two windings of conductor surrounding a specialized iron core, bathed in oil and insulated by paper. The reason transformers are so important is the loss of power on lines. You lose power when transmitting it equal to the current squared times the resistance of the conductor. (I^2)R. So, if the dam/coal plant/nuke plant/wind farm/what the fuck ever is generating at, say, 50KV (they don't, it's usually 34.5KV or something like that, but 50KV makes my example math easier) and you need, say 50MW to feed your town (load center), you have to produce 1000 amps. That's because Watts = Volts x Amps. So, 50,000 volts x 1,000 amps = 50,000,000 Watts, or 50MW.

BTW, 50MW is a small load. Big cities use gigawatts, billions of watts.

Anyway, a mile of conductor might have an ohm of resistance. So, your losses on that line, per mile, are (1000^2)x1, or 1,000,000 amps per mile That's a lot of heat, and you can't push that power very far without either losing it or melting the conductors (in reality, we'd be talking AC power instead of DC, inductance vs resistance, but the concepts are the same).

What a transformer does is simple. One of the windings might be, say, 10x as numerous as the other winding. To create electricity, you need three things. A conductor, a magnetic field, and relative motion between them. The generator creates the electricity with either a stationary coil of conductor with a spinning magnet in it, or vice-versa. That relative motion between the two creates electrical flow. The transformer does the SAME THING, but it has two different windings, agains, let's say in a 10-1 ratio. Separated by nothing but paper and oil. The primary winding gets the flow of electricity from the generator. The constant flux of the collapsing/expanding AC electrical field creates the relative motion, 60 times a second. The combination of those two induces an electrical flow in the secondary winding.

the next concept is constant power. Watts don't change, just volts and amps. SO...if I pump 50KV at 1000 amps (50MW) into the primary, and the turns ratio is 10:1, the secondary gets 500KV at 100 amps (also 50MW).

NOW, the line loss is (100^2)x1, 10,000 per mile, instead of (1000^2)x1, 1,000,000 per mile. The transformer has cut the amount of electricity I lose transmitting it by a factor of 100. I can now transmit the electricity 100x as far with the same loss. At the other end, I reverse the process with another transformer to provide the amps required to power the equipment at the load center.

That's the basics of the power grid. Without transformers, you'd all have to live VERY close to the generating station to get any power at all. Transformers literally power civilization with their magic. No moving parts, just coils of wire, iron, oil, and paper in a big steel case.

Where do the CME's come in? Over-voltage destroys insulation. It will break down the oil/paper insulating value as the charged particles stream past the conductor, inducing a high voltage (remember, conductor + relative motion = electricity...the movement of the charged particles past the conductor does this). When the two winding in the transformer lose the insulation between them, and short-circuit to each other...

...Civilization ends. All at once. And won't be coming back. We don't have replacements for the transformers. No one does. They take years to make, months and months to move, and huge quantities of money. Not to mention raw materials are in short supply., and you need electricity to produce more of the magic core steel and everything else involved to build them, a Catch-22.

Experts have testified that the loss of power in this country would result in a 90% population loss in the first year. We have 57,000 substations, and the loss of the correct 9 of them could result in an 18-month power outage to large parts of the country. No, I don't know which 9, but others do.

Now imagine if a CME took out 57,000 of them all at once. And all the others over half of a globe, or the entire thing in a sustained event.

Save that last bullet for yourself.

So, that's my apocalypse story for today. I know how civilization will end, because I watch this system crumble around me every day.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I personally supported numerous test on military equipment in my Navy career. I worked with and talked to many engineers about the affect of EMP. All new military and commercial aircraft need to be tested before they enter service. This is to ensure they operate during the most common electrical threat lightning and electronic interference. EMP is not something at the top of my warning list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top