Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2018 9:58:49 PM EDT
I'm planning on buying my first generator.  We've never needed one, but I've wanted the capability for a long time just in case -- so it likely won't be used all that often, just taken out and run periodically for maintenance.  If power did happen to go out, the plan is to just run a window AC unit, maybe recharge a small battery/inverter setup to run some CPAPs at night.  As a result, I was just going to go with an entry level Sportsman 4,000 watt generator.

However, I came across this deal today.
https://www.amazon.com/DuroStar-DS4000S-4-Cycle-Portable-Generator/dp/B004918MO2?tag=gunpl-20

Anyone have any experience with the brand?  Been poking around youtube and I see some how to videos but not much in the way of reviews.
Regards
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#1]
That's stupid cheap. In on this to see if anyone has experience with this genny.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I would jump on that deal.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:52:04 AM EDT
[#3]
DuroStar has a pretty decent reputation, and they have a sizable customer base.

Biggest disadvantage of this particular model is that it's 120 volt only - which may or may not be important for your intended use.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks similar to the harbor freight unit  - I have one of those and it's fine,  if something of a gas hog.

What do you want it for?   How much capacity do you need?   If you don't already have a generator you may want to hold out for a good deal on an inverter generator.  They are quieter, much more efficient and  provide cleaner power.   An off brand 2000 watt unit can be had for just over $300.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top