Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2022 10:37:56 PM EDT
These all use the same internal filters for SSB/CW.

If I remember correctly, the 817 has one filter slot and the others have 2 filter slots.

Anyway the question is, are these filters in the IF stage?

I think you can get blank PC boards made to fit the filter slots to build your own filters using cannibalized crystals since Collins no longer makes them.

But here's the question.  Would it be feasible to take one of these boards and just make a pass-through with no filter, so that when the filter option is selected in the radio menu, you still get a signal?

I'd like to build a board to install an SDR dongle inside the radio and have a USB port on the back to make a panadapter.  Could I use the blank filter board as an IF tap location and as mechanical support for the SDR dongle?  I think this would be an ideal use for an unused feature in the radio in the absence of filter availability.

And, the audio filters in many SDR software apps make up for the loss of available IF stage filters in the radio.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I just was curious if the unfiltered IF was available at the slot for the narrow SSB and CW filters, but I guess that is a later stage of the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think you can get blank PC boards made to fit the filter slots to build your own filters using cannibalized crystals since Collins no longer makes them.
View Quote

Wish I could find one of those for a filter for the FT-847. The Collins filter for the 857/897 is reasonably available, but the 847 ones are different and unobtanium.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I started down the panadapter some time ago and never finished the project. IIRC I needed a 455 kHz filter to finish the board. This is where I started, it's evolved https://www.qsl.net/rf-seismograph/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top