Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2020 1:55:57 AM EDT
I was looking at a Yaesu FTM-300. There’s only a few reviews and they’re mixed. I’m not really interested in digital, but it’s hard to get a radio without it. Icom 2730 looks good. There’s a few complaints I’ve read about, but overall seems to be well liked. I’m looking to buy new. I will be using it as a base radio until I get familiar with it, then I’ll move it to the truck. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 2:22:31 AM EDT
[#1]
If you’re not interested in digital I would recommend the Kenwood TM-V71A. They are time tested, solid dual band radios. There are several guys in my area that have been running them in crossband repeat mode continuously for 5 years plus with no issues.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 2:55:53 AM EDT
[#2]
You're not going to go wrong with anything from the big 3. I had a 2720 for awhile and it was great. I've yet to meet an iCom radio I didn't like. And this comes from someone who now runs almost all Moto radios. I have a 7300 staring at me over my shoulder.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:53:19 AM EDT
[#3]
The v71 is a good suggestion but, I’d say go ahead and get the d710 (which is Kenwoods top model) as it is a more powerful radio if/when you want to experiment with packet, APRS, etc.

The icom 5100 is interesting as it has a feature where it will scan all channels (repeaters) within x miles of your current location. Which is very helpful if you travel often / far. As managing hundreds of programmed repeaters is impossible while driving.

Nothing wrong with digital. If you look around your area and find you have tons of fusion repeaters, the Yaesu radios may be the best choice. Plus some yaesu wires rooms often have traffic to listen to.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a 2730 in my work car and a 5100 in my
truck. Both work very well. The 5100 only gets the nod because of Dstar which is semi popular around here.

The only thing I've noticed with the 2730 is there's been times that it's dropped the repeater tone. I think it's something I'm doing, but I haven't figured out what yet. First time it happened I thought my buddies on the repeater were effing with me. Then I started checking and saw it was back to default.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I've longed shilled for the KW v71a. It is the nearest to perfect mobile available! That said I sold all 3 of mine to move to the Yaesu 400 for the APRS and Fusion aspects. The 5100 is a good deal money wise right now if you want a detach Face.

I added the Yaesu 7250 to the shack and living room this year. Solid rig w/o a detach face. (No APRS but Fusion capable).

The 2730 is interesting as is the 710 if you can swing the investment.

There is a low inventory issue on some rigs and with some manufacturers FWIW.

ETA: about 23 min in we talk dual-band mobiles not many changes since this posted back in 17/18. YMMV
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I went with the FTM-400, and absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've longed shilled for the KW v71a. It is the nearest to perfect mobile available! That said I sold all 3 of mine to move to the Yaesu 400 for the APRS and Fusion aspects. The 5100 is a good deal money wise right now if you want a detach Face.

I added the Yaesu 7250 to the shack and living room this year. Solid rig w/o a detach face. (No APRS but Fusion capable).

The 2730 is interesting as is the 710 if you can swing the investment.

There is a low inventory issue on some rigs and with some manufacturers FWIW.

View Quote

THIS--last weekend I was going to add a 7250 to the shack for a simpler base radio to do VHF digital, and maybe packet, yet also take advantage of the new fusion repeater the club put up last summer.  I had everything in my cart over night and they sold out as I was pulling the trigger.  I also thought about the single band 2M Icom rig but it'll ship in month--or so it's claimed. So, I stayed in the icom architecture and went with the 4100, since I already have D-Star radios.  I spent more than I was planning to, but I will have a good setup when it's put together.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#9]

I really like the old YAESU FT-7900 / FT-7800

really simple to use, which is a plus when your driving.

you can usually find them cheap on QTH classifieds which leaves more money for HF

The Kenwood is a solid choice also, but I liked the simple 7900 better.

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you're not interested in digital I would recommend the Kenwood TM-V71A. They are time tested, solid dual band radios. There are several guys in my area that have been running them in crossband repeat mode continuously for 5 years plus with no issues.
View Quote
I just picked up this as my first radio, I've been pretty happy with it so far.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#11]
One really nice feature of the V71 is dual in-band... I will listen to two 2m (or two 70cm) frequencies simultaneously. Not all dual band radios will do that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:55:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you’re not interested in digital I would recommend the Kenwood TM-V71A. They are time tested, solid dual band radios. There are several guys in my area that have been running them in crossband repeat mode continuously for 5 years plus with no issues.
View Quote

This. Got one at home and one in the vehicle. Solid radios! I'm not into all that digital stuff.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:55:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Got one at home and one in the vehicle. Solid radios! I'm not into all that digital stuff.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:39:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I really like my Icom 2730A. I bought it for mountain topping in the mobile and it ended up being my base.
 I enjoy the wideband RX and the big display. It scans FAST and I find it easy to program too. (YMMV here)

I don't do digital so a good analog rig is great. It also does cross band repeater! Great rig.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top