Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2020 3:52:47 PM EDT
I need some help finding a backpack that I could use to both hunt and take on hikes. I am primarily a midwest whitetail hunter who will sometimes do all day hunts. I also do a fair bit of hiking. Have yet to do a hike in camp kind of trip but will probably try it next year. Anybody have any input on a backpack that would suit both ventures?
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Hill People Gear offerings.

If I were in the market again, I'd give a long look at Seek Outside packs.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Eberlestock here
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:38:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive got an Osprey Scorpion in a muted blue/ grey color that works well for me. I just use what Ive got for now. Ive been hiking and camping far longer than Ive been hunting, but I'm trying to get more into it as my kids get older.  I think its a 45l pack.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:43:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my Kifaru packs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Seek Outside, hands down.  Their packs rival lightweight backpacking packs and they are designed as hunting packs.  For longer trips (such as unsupported/no-resupply 80-100 miles), I choose my Seek Outside as the frame can handle much heavier loads than similar-weight packs like my ULA Circuit.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Osprey Talon's.  I have a 22 liter for when I don't need to carry a lot of extra layers of clothing, and the 33 liter for when I do carry a lot of extras.
Simple and very lightweight.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Kelty usually has some good deals on their sale page...

https://www.kelty.com/sale/

The Redwing 50 for $84 is a pretty good deal, as long as you like blue.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Mystery all the things.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I really appreciate the input. I do like and have heard great things about Mystery Ranch and had my eyes open to Seek Outside. Scary Gary got me sold on the Eberlestock and I researched and purchased a H31 Bandit Pack in mountain for what I need. I’ll run it through the gambit this season and maybe do a review on this thread. Another deciding factor also was my discount through Expert Voice which saved me about $40.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve got an Eberlestock dragbag for my AXMC and their stuff is also gtg.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 3:18:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Stone Glacier.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 3:29:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Mystery Ranch (I have two packs with the guide light frame), Stone Glacier, or Exo are where I would look.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stone Glacier.
View Quote

I'll second this, I love mine. Pricey but a good investment.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Seek Outside, hands down.  Their packs rival lightweight backpacking packs and they are designed as hunting packs.  For longer trips (such as unsupported/no-resupply 80-100 miles), I choose my Seek Outside as the frame can handle much heavier loads than similar-weight packs like my ULA Circuit.

ROCK6
View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Mystery Ranch here as well. I use a Metcalf model and pull the lid off to convert it into a day pack.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I really appreciate the input. I do like and have heard great things about Mystery Ranch and had my eyes open to Seek Outside. Scary Gary got me sold on the Eberlestock and I researched and purchased a H31 Bandit Pack in mountain for what I need. I’ll run it through the gambit this season and maybe do a review on this thread. Another deciding factor also was my discount through Expert Voice which saved me about $40.
View Quote

You won't be disappointed, Eberlestock packs are well constructed and good designs.  As with most of the heavier cordura packs, they're heavier, but if you know that going it, it's not a huge deal.

I had forget another good hunting pack company, I don't they're mad in the USA anymore, but good warranty and customer service. I have a couple of their smaller hunting, day-packs:

Badlands Packs

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Hill People Gear. Got started with the kit bag, and more recently an Aston House BC. Fits great for a heavy daypack with supplies in case I have to spend a night. Still has room left over and has room to go with the compression system. Finally their yoke carries weight extremely well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Stone Glacier
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#20]
For light hunting and trekking, Gregory has a very good suspension system with their Baltoro pro series.
Upsides, extremely comfortable fully loaded, best hip and sholder harnesses I've found (flexible & breathable). Rated tops by hikers for 10 plus years.
Downsides, external fabrics are more delicate than a military style packs such as Mystery ranch. Colors are limited (black but no camo).
HERE

For heavy hunting, rough terrain, or lots of weight, EMO MNT GEAR.
Upsides, durable as all hell, Adaptable integrated frame and harnesses. Suspension is very robust.
Downsides, heavy for lighter packing. Not as comfortable as other systems (mainly based on rigid frame, no flex).
HERE
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Seek Outside, hands down.  Their packs rival lightweight backpacking packs and they are designed as hunting packs.  For longer trips (such as unsupported/no-resupply 80-100 miles), I choose my Seek Outside as the frame can handle much heavier loads than similar-weight packs like my ULA Circuit.ROCK6
View Quote

Interested in this one ... Link?
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seekoutside packs
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Kifaru. Buy American.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Kifaru or Mystery Ranch. I'm currently running a Mystery Ranch Pop-up and Pintler if I need more room.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Kifaru. Buy American.
View Quote

Seekoutside is American made as well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Alaskagrown provided the link.  I only have two (ish) Seek Outside packs; a Unaweep 4800, and the Glia 3500 (I have the Merlin Talon pack that can piggy back the larger 4800 as well).  Check out their site and some videos they have on their packs.  These are lightweight, hybrid packs with quality materials and construction.  When I have a pack (such as the Gila 3500) that weighs just four ounces more than my lightweight ULA Circuit pack (primary backpacking pack), but it will hold just a little more capacity-wise, AND will haul over 100 pounds with the hybrid-external frame where my ULA would be unbearable above 40 pounds (designed for only a maximum weight of 35 pounds and likely fail, as I've tried and the comfort disappears to the point I was afraid of snapping the frame and there was zero stability).  

I did 106 mile hike on the AT last spring without any resupply.  My pack weight (with a few non-typical "toys" added) was right at 42 pounds with 3 liters of water, 8.5 days of food (only needed 7), and alcohol fuel...along with the typical backpacking base-weight items.  

Pack suspension is critical, not just for comfort, but how it handles load distribution and load balance/stability...this is where Seek Outside can maximize a hybrid of lighter materials and the stability of a pseudo external frame along with the ability to haul heavier loads without fear of frame failure.  There are a few other companies (mentioned above) that achieve similar results.  USA made packs will be more expensive, period.  The materials they use are some of the most expensive, and their testing it often real-world testing.  

These packs are an investment and they simply won't be worth their value if you don't use them.  These aren't packs to load up as a Bug Out Bag and toss in the closest (unless you just have money to burn).  These are niche packs, most are designed for serious backcountry hunting where you need to have your essentials in a lightweight pack that can still haul out 70-80 pounds of meet (a few times).  I don't want to ever haul more than 100 pounds anymore, and my typical backpacking weight (total trail weight) is almost always kept between 25-30 pounds.  However, there are times where water sources are limited, sparse, or a good distance form the trail.  Water weights a lot, so if I have to tank up with 7-8 liters of water, that adds 16-18 pounds; this is why I really like these packs for certain locations or longer distances that don't have locations for resupply, or even fewer water sources.

BTW, I started with one frame between the two packs and just said "screw it" and purchases a second frame (with waistbelt and hip pockets) as I switch between packs for seasonal use where the larger 4800 pack is used in the winter.  I have older Kifaru packs (some of their newer stuff is lighter), Arc-Teyrx, and a few Mystery Ranch packs, but those with the heaviest Cordura are pretty heavy packs.  Yes, they're bomb-proof, but if you're actually trekking long distances, that 2.5-3.5 pound weight savings is an extra two and a half days of food and is pretty significant for me.  For 3-day packs, they're fine, but long-distance requires some serious gram counting and load-discipline.  As to robustness, X-Pac and Dyneema materials have proven extremely tough and abrasion resistant over long-term use.  Stone Glacier, Exo Mountain, and, Seek Outside are all top tier, lightweight packs that combine the backpacking to hunting needs.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Pack frames fit each person differently.  Try out several with a load in them to see what fits your body style the best.  For me its Mystery Ranch.  I have a USA made Metcalf, & a Pintler.   They are both really great packs.  Bomb proof and have been thru several Elk hunts and pack outs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top