Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2018 9:25:04 PM EDT

Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep. I popped over here to see if anyone else was excited. I bought some new Mojo decoys this year!
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 5:36:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chatsworth] [#2]
Whats the point of shooting doves?
Just wonder'n?

It sure cant be worth the meat on them
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 6:07:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chatsworth:
Just wonder'n?

View Quote
It’s my number one favorite food. Love fried doves, gravy, grits, and biscuits.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Just wonder'n?

View Quote
I think they are delicious and very much worth the effort!  The actual sport itself is very challenging and graceful, and that is what I really enjoy, ESPECIALLY with a group a friends.  Shooting a 15 bird limit on a single box of shells with a .410 SxS is very satisfying.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:50:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DesignatedMarksman] [#5]
I am so ready.

ETA: For the unbeliever.  Dove is maybe the greatest tasting bird there is.  Grilled, fried, baked, stewed with dumplings, you name it.  The classic way is to breast it, roll it up in bacon with some cream cheese and grill it.  Which is great.  I like dove'n'dumplings, I also like fried dove breast.  The limit is 15 because that's 30 dove poppers, which is exactly one serving for someone who's been out in the dove field since 0530 with nothing but sausage biscuits and whiskey for sustenance.

ETAII: Doves are the easiest hunting, hardest shooting bird in the sky.  They can fly 55mph when they get the notion, and they can turn 180 at top speed inside the diameter of a volleyball. Get up early, hang out with buddies for an hour, head out to the dove field close to sunrise.  Wait for them to start coming in for breakfast.  Then waste 2 boxes of shells and cuss a blue streak because you forgot how to shoot since last season.  Your last box of shells you get your eye in and become a deadly dove sniper just in time for them to stop flying.  Then you breast your doves, which takes about 30 seconds per bird.  Get the grills rolling by about 3 and pick on dove poppers and cold beer until you're too blasted to kneewalk.  Good times.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm looking forward to taking my grandson out on his first.

CD
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 6:24:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MotorMouth] [#7]
Just wonder'n?

View Quote
Hunting them is an absolute blast, and they're tasty little nuggets!

ETA:  I swear those little bastards see an incoming shot string sometimes, and dodge it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
I'm looking forward to taking my grandson out on his first.

CD
View Quote
Same here,have a bantam Mossberg 20 and a C.D. youth he will be shooting tomorrow.
I hope he likes dove hunting as much as me, harbingers of autumn!
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Just wonder'n?

View Quote

Better tell that to everyone who wolfed them down on our over night canoe trip last weekend.  My last bag in the freezer from last year, man they were good.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MotorMouth:

Hunting them is an absolute blast, and they're tasty little nuggets!

ETA:  I swear those little bastards see an incoming shot string sometimes, and dodge it.
View Quote
Dude, they totally do. I don't know how, but sometimes they seem to literally juke the shot. Crazy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone going opening day?  I wont be able to get out until Labor Day.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Opening day is tomorrow here in Vegas..

Being on second shift, I took today off, and have been awake since 11 yesterday. 27 hours awake so I can go to sleep and get up at 02 to drive to the spot. I have to check in by 0439 and can start shooting at 0611..
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 1:28:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Today is the day here in VA...at Noon.  Buddy just bought some land abutting a wildlife management area and has seen some flying, so we'll see.  Whatever happens, still better than a day at work.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Well things changed and I was able to go today after all! Got 3 but should've had 6...
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I've never tried dove before but going next weekend with my neighbor.  Going Fri-Sun and the cook at the lodge is supposed to be pretty good.

From reading this thread it doesn't sound like my shotgun skills are going to be on point for dove, but at least there will be beer, whiskey and cigars at night. I'll give it my best try on all fronts.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TGE:
I've never tried dove before but going next weekend with my neighbor.  Going Fri-Sun and the cook at the lodge is supposed to be pretty good.

From reading this thread it doesn't sound like my shotgun skills are going to be on point for dove, but at least there will be beer, whiskey and cigars at night. I'll give it my best try on all fronts.
View Quote
Bring a chair, sunscreen, bug spray, and a cooler.  This isn't pheasant hunting.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I was supposed to go this morning but the wife scheduled something after I made the plans. Guess which one took priority.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DPeacher:

I think they are delicious and very much worth the effort!  The actual sport itself is very challenging and graceful, and that is what I really enjoy, ESPECIALLY with a group a friends.  Shooting a 15 bird limit on a single box of shells with a .410 SxS is very satisfying.
View Quote
I used to shoot them out of trees too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#19]
My Son, Beautiful DIL and grandsons out on the first day of dove season

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By rleonard:
My Son, Beautiful DIL and grandsons out on the first day of dove season

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125209/Chad_and_Boys_9_1_18-660855.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125209/Sara_and_Boys_9_1_18-660856.JPG
View Quote
Awsome!

We got rained out heavy here around Houston, but on the bright side, we have a whole 'nuther week of heavy rain coming so we will be well watered for the plants and critters...
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I killed everything flying, but that's only two birds .  Oh well, my 3 year old son helped me pick them and they made four great little poppers.  We'll try again when the field is mowed, that should bring them in.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I was invited to take part in the early Whitewing Season in Duval County this past Saturday & Sunday.  For those not familiar, the restrictions are Whitewings only, and you can't hunt before Noon on either of those days.  It was HOT, and the Whitewings were pretty sparse, but I had a great time none the less.  We could have limited on Incas (they are a protected species), and Mourings (can't shoot them until the General season).  As a group, we knocked down a few Eurasian Collareds.  I only shot 5 Whitewings over both days, but I only took 10 shots total.  One member of our group got a Scotch Double.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I was invited to take part in the early Whitewing Season in Duval County this past Saturday & Sunday.  For those not familiar, the restrictions are Whitewings only, and you can't hunt before Noon on either of those days.  It was HOT, and the Whitewings were pretty sparse, but I had a great time none the less.  We could have limited on Incas (they are a protected species), and Mourings (can't shoot them until the General season).  As a group, we knocked down a few Eurasian Collareds.  I only shot 5 Whitewings over both days, but I only took 10 shots total.  One member of our group got a Scotch Double.
View Quote
How do you tell the difference between the white wing and mourning dove when the are in flight? I've only ever hunted north Texas and there's not a lot of white winged up here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BIgDAM:

How do you tell the difference between the white wing and mourning dove when the are in flight? I've only ever hunted north Texas and there's not a lot of white winged up here.
View Quote
At distance, way before you can see the white stripes on the wings of the White Wing , it appears fatter with a shorter tail (even though it is the bigger of the two), whereas a Mourning appears noticeably more sleek with a longer tail.  Even head-on the White Wing is noticeably thicker.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:59:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By scuba_steve:
Bring a chair, sunscreen, bug spray, and a cooler.  This isn't pheasant hunting.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By scuba_steve:

All good advice, and I followed it.

Had a good time even though the weather didn't cooperate.  Shot 1 Friday in a drizzle, none Saturday morning, but finally got into them Saturday afternoon when the sun came out and shot 10.  I've done a lot of duck, goose, and pheasant hunting, and I've gotta say these little bastards are a lot harder to hit.  I had a lot of ~40 yard shots when they were whistling by at 50MPH so I missed a lot but it was satisfying when I did hit one.

All in all dove hunting is a blast.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Had a good time even though the weather didn't cooperate.  Shot 1 Friday in a drizzle, none Saturday morning, but finally got into them Saturday afternoon when the sun came out and shot 10.  I've done a lot of duck, goose, and pheasant hunting, and I've gotta say these little bastards are a lot harder to hit.  I had a lot of ~40 yard shots when they were whistling by at 50MPH so I missed a lot but it was satisfying when I did hit one.

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
Hell yeeeeeeah!
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:52:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RustyKnifeUSMC] [#28]
Opening day one week from today here in MO. I went out to my hunting property yesterday and bush hogged several strips thru the 1 acre sunflower/millet food plot. 3 of us going out to stay the night.  Fish fry with the fish my buddy just brought back from Alaska. Fire in the outdoor fire pit. Great cigars and Bourbon. He’s bringing his 2.5 year Chocolate Lab and I’ll have my 2 year old Yellow. Good tune up before duck season.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#29]
OMG, they are the birds of peace!

I'll be down in George West next month as well. Dove hunting has become my favorite bird hunting sport. Dove on the grill with a jalapeno and drizzled with marinade.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!  

My first opportunity this year will be 9/21-22, down near Freer.  I hope the last year has been good for everyone here!
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Excited!    Me, The Boy & The Dogs!!!  EXCITED!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!  

My first opportunity this year will be 9/21-22, down near Freer.  I hope the last year has been good for everyone here!
View Quote
shouldn't be any shortage down there! I used to have an annual hunt with some buddies down past Freer towards Laredo, what a great time.  There was never any shortage of dove, hogs, and javelina.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I've got the shotguns ready and have to buy a few boxes of 28's and some light kicking 12 ga. loads for the wifey. We'll have a big group this year and whitewings are plenty so far.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ARLarry:
I've got the shotguns ready and have to buy a few boxes of 28's and some light kicking 12 ga. loads for the wifey. We'll have a big group this year and whitewings are plenty so far.
View Quote
I want a nice 28ga SxS...
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I’ve tuned up my shooting eye with clays and will be using my 25+ yo 870 Wingmaster.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Heading to so,e public land on Monday with some buddies. Taking the cz 12g SxS out for its first dove hunt. Just wished my pup was ready to go with but he’s still a little green for a dove hunt.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll be out bright and early tomorrow morning. Spread of 4 shooters so hope we get more than last years opener.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Just got 1 today. Tons flying but couldnt connect. Need to adjust how we set up a bit and I need to mow a little more.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#39]
2 for me, the very first one that passed by in the morning and my 2nd was a snap shot while we were packing up. I was ejecting my shells and 2 flew over and I got one.
Going back out tomorrow n about an hour.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 8:28:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RustyKnifeUSMC] [#40]
42 between 3 of us. Last year we didn’t shoot once opening day at my property. Great times. Myself and 2 buddies met up at my hunting property yesterday afternoon. Had my 2.5 year old yellow lab and his chocolate that’s about 4 months older. Both  did very well. I was stressing about how well he would do. He only got to retrieve one duck last hunting season. 45 pheasants. We’re going to Saskatchewan in a month. I couldn’t be happier about his performance. Overcast day. Cooler. The birds were hammering my sunflower and millet plot.

Last night I grilled t bones over the wood fire. My buddy made halibut fillets. Cigars and Bourbon after the meal around the fire.

He brought his brand new Beretta a400 Extreme Plus. Now I want one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By rocco1695:
42 between 3 of us. Last year we didn’t shoot once opening day at my property. Great times. Myself and 2 buddies met up at my hunting property yesterday afternoon. Had my 2.5 year old yellow lab and his chocolate that’s about 4 months older. Both  did very well. I was stressing about how well he would do. He only got to retrieve one duck last hunting season. 45 pheasants. We’re going to Saskatchewan in a month. I couldn’t be happier about his performance. Overcast day. Cooler. The birds were hammering my sunflower and Miller plot.

Last night I grilled t bones over the wood fire. My buddy made halibut fillets. Cigars and Bourbon after the meal around the fire.

He brought his brand new Beretta a400 Extreme Plus. Now I want one.
View Quote
The Life.  You're living it!
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Photosarv:
Heading to so,e public land on Monday with some buddies. Taking the cz 12g SxS out for its first dove hunt. Just wished my pup was ready to go with but he’s still a little green for a dove hunt.
View Quote
Years ago I was shooting quail over my 3 month old Brittany ! RIP Freckles .
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#43]
What are you guys using for choke and shot sizes? I’m headed out for the first time on Friday and taking an 11/87 12gauge.

After reading this thread I am definitely looking forward to it. Hope I got something!
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 11:57:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmc201] [#44]
7 1/2 and 8's  If you shoot 6's there may not be much left. I shoot a double barrel 20 and 8's. The most challenging shooting sport there is.
Chasing blue quail thru the cactus and mesquite might just be tougher.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 12:53:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By cmc201:
7 1/2 and 8's  If you shoot 6's there may not be much left. I shoot a double barrel 20 and 8's. The most challenging shooting sport there is.
View Quote
Cool. I was gonna go with 8’s. How about chokes? I was gonna go with modified.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By cmc201:
View Quote
Everybody has their own preferences.  For me, 7.5's & 8's if the mourning doves are predominate.  6's if white-wings are predominate.  I've used both in my double barrels, with a tighter choke in the barrel I'm using for 6's.  It's sort of like golf and fly fishing in some respects!
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Gastonite:

Cool. I was gonna go with 8’s. How about chokes? I was gonna go with modified.

Thanks!
View Quote
Certainly not a bad choice!  If you have adjustable chokes, bring them with you so you can change them if needed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Certainly not a bad choice!  If you have adjustable chokes, bring them with you so you can change them if needed.
View Quote
That's a good call and will do. Dang, after seeing this thread I am super excited about heading into the field to give this a try. Hope I can hit something!
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Gastonite:

That's a good call and will do. Dang, after seeing this thread I am super excited about heading into the field to give this a try. Hope I can hit something!
View Quote
If you've never been, don't get discouraged at your shot to hit ratio, even if you are well versed in trap/skeet/sporting clays. They are small, fast, and agile.  I swear I've seen them ID and evade the shot column from time to time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote
I'm terrible at it, but I have a blast trying. If nothing else, I'm really good at running birds to folks that are better at it than I am.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top