Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2020 8:28:55 PM EDT
All for $1 each

1 pound of lentils (40 lbs for $40)

Memorial (prayer) candles in glass jars. Fairly long lasting.

Pack of four emergency candles

Canned luncheon meat (spam-like)

Hand sanitizer bottles

Box of wooden matches

Box of bandages

Box of bandaids

Can of sardines

Place to check out for inexpensive prep supplies

Fyi

3/2

10 boxes of General Mills cereal for $10. Expires 10/2020

10 boxes of Gossner’s shelf stable milk for $10. Exp 11/2020.

Dozen eggs for $1

5 bottles La Choy soy sauce for $5
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Canned luncheon meat (spam-like)
View Quote
Oh hell no
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Stocked up on their generic spam myself

Gotta have something to add to the rice...
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Dollar Tree used to carry small cans of shredded ham - which were great for adding some flavor to beans.

No more.

Some of the larger stores have Goya Sazon, which is wonderful for soups.

Lots of basic cooking spices, too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#4]
1 pound of lentils (40 lbs for $40) I do not eat them.

Memorial (prayer) candles in glass jars. Fairly long lasting. Great Idea.

Pack of four emergency candles Good Idea

Canned luncheon meat (spam-like) Nope, I don't even eat Spam!

Hand sanitizer bottles Good Idea

Box of wooden matches Good Idea

Box of bandages No, pre-contaminated with Corona from overseas maybe?

Box of bandaids Nope, not worth the lack of bandage abilities!

Can of sardines Hell No!

There are definitely some deals to be had there, but I rarely shop in dollar stores.

Just my .02 cents.
Bill
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#5]
SYSTEM ERROR!
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I would use caution for items from the dollar store as it commely chinese knockoffs of dubious quality.
No telling what's in that meat.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Most of DT's food items are made in America. They even sell perishables like milk, eggs and bread.

Speaking of milk, their steam-pasturized milk (Gossner's brand) is excellent. Stored unopened in the fridge, it'll keep for years.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most of DT's food items are made in America. They even sell perishables like milk, eggs and bread.

Speaking of milk, their steam-pasturized milk (Gossner's brand) is excellent. Stored unopened in the fridge, it'll keep for years.
View Quote
I was going to comment on this very same thing when I saw the post this morning. Gossner's milk is shelf-stable milk that's been around for awhile. I've been using it for better than 20 years and have never been disappointed. It's usually got a 1-yr or so shelf life, but we've used it three or four months past that and it still tasted fine. We never refrigerate ours till we open it and then we refrigerate like store milk for about two-three weeks. My wife swears by it and my kids now buy it as that's all we bought while they were growing up.  We also buy toothpaste, anti-perspirant and several other items from the local Dollar Tree. Don't knock it till you try it.

Steve
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would use caution for items from the dollar store as it commely chinese knockoffs of dubious quality.
No telling what's in that meat.
View Quote
They had several Hormel products.....

If you look up a YouTube channel called THE WOLFE’S PIT he does tons of reviews on dollar store food items. Quite funny and informative.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's usually got a 1-yr or so shelf life, but we've used it three or four months past that and it still tasted fine.
View Quote
That shelf life assumes storage under the worst possible conditions - i.e., in a very warm location.

Stored in the fridge, you could probably triple or quadruple it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#11]
You might want to test one of those candles.  Cheap ones tend to perform terribly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You might want to test one of those candles.  Cheap ones tend to perform terribly.
View Quote
The one I have tested so far is doing quite well. Great for walking around the house with since it is in a glass jar.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#13]
get the app.  5$ of 25$ purchase every Saturday.  use the app to scan the clearance items. often have coupons so after the 50% off they take the coupons too.

Small town living, we clean up at the dollar stores.  Diapers are always a good deal if you need those.  Stock up.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 1:46:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Good info guys, thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top