Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2021 9:18:46 PM EDT
My dog and I just moved to a cold climate, to Wisconsin from Texas.

My dog is a pit mix.  She is approximately 50lbs and she is 9mnths old.

My question is, how do you determine when your dog needs protection (jacket, boots etc...) from the weather?  

I have taken her out running/walks.  I'd like to take her out with me when going on hikes, outdoor activities during the winter, as work allows, but want to be sure I'm taking care of her.  I know dogs will give you 100%, so just want to be sure I'm doing my part for her when the temps dip up here.

I came to the hunting community because I know how you care for your dogs and I know your dogs are working dogs who spend time outside working/playing and not just out to potty.  

Thanks for you advice!
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't live in WI.
Where i do live it gets cold.
Over the years we've had about 20 dogs between us.
None ever needed coats till my mom got to be about 72ish. Ever since then she thinks all dogs need coats pretty much all the time.
So far no need for boots/shoes.

We did have a beagle and lab for a while that lived outside all the time. They got a bale of hay in their dog house but no coats, shoes.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Short haired dogs like Greyhounds need coats.  I'd think Pits fall into that category as well.  Double coated dogs like my Golden are happy as a pig in shit lying in the snow.  She loves the cold.  Cold and wet is even better.

Boots are another matter.  Lots of dogs won't tolerate them.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Bring em in hookers by FredMan, on Flickr

Funny, but more than a grain of truth.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FredMan:
https://live.staticflickr.com/478/30849647454_93d7dfb07a.jpgBring em in hookers by FredMan, on Flickr

Funny, but more than a grain of truth.
View Quote

Haha, seems to be a good rule of thumb!

Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Most "Pits" are southern breed dogs and don't tolerate the cold like many of the double coated dogs.  Many don't have much fur at all on their undersides.  Get a coat for the really cold weather.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ll hunt my dogs down to around zero.  No protection.  If they’re moving, they will be fine.  Salt will play hell on your dogs feet.  Watch for cracking.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Is the dog a house dog? If so they should be fine for walks etc. If housed outside they should be acclimated to the weather. I had American Bulldogs housed outside year round in very cold temps as long as they had a good insulated house and good food and excercise. Use common sense - is the dog showing signs of being uncomfortable ? Proper diet aand a healthy dog is a must. Ask other dog owners in your area but nobody knows your dog like you do - or should.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top