Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2020 3:55:22 PM EDT
I have been having problems with my 2007ish BX2350 for a while - engine with sputter and stop while running
It’s gotten worse this year. Before would just sputter
Has1280 hours on it
Will do it if mowing or even just driving with no PTO on

This year changed both fuel filters
That didn’t help
Changed the fuel pump underneath.  New kubota part.  It ran OK for for a few days.   Then problem with shutting off came back
New airfilter, radiator level good, transmission fluid and filters changed.  

Took to dealer and their service said it could be two things.  They took rear fender off and said they cleaned some debris out of tank exit
They also told me before there is a float valve or level that can send a bad signal and cause the cutoff.   It’s supposed to be in the tank but I didn’t see it on the drawing on the Messicks website.   They have most of the exploded parts diagrams

Shop said tank float was OK.  Said they ran it and was good for two hours.   Should have recorded the each hours before I dropped it off.  Unless you test with a multimeter how would you know?  

I get it home and it’s doing the same thing.   Dealer shop are liars.   Runs maybe 45 minutes and engine sputters and usually stops.  $500 and no better

There’s got to be something else - something temp related.   The engine temp does not appear to be getting too hot from what the gauge says.  

What else should I be looking for or change?
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 11:39:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Just tossing this out...  maybe a clogged exhaust?
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They took rear fender off and said they cleaned some debris out of tank exit
View Quote

Do you have more details about this? Type/size/amount of debris?

Does the sputtering happen if you let it run of flat ground or only while in use?

My immediate thought would be fuel system, since you changed both filters keep going back. Can you scope the tank? Maybe empty it out and clean the inside?
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Vacuum test your fuel lines etc. My dad once had a piece of equipment doing similar. He had the injectors & pump checked, compression, literally everything he could think of including pressure testing the fuel system for an air leak.

After months of fighting the issue he finally found a seal or something (I can't recall exactly what) that was only leaking air under negative pressure (suction) letting air bubbles into the injection pump.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]
had a backhoe at work that did the same thing. turns out the fuel cap was not venting properly. so it was causing a vacuum in the fuel tank. the time it took to sputter out was dependent on how hard you were working it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Had the fuel tank cap vent hole plug before and when the tank built up enough suction, the fuel pump could not suck fuel to feed to the engine. Try running it with the cap loose.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Have tried backing off the cap.  Also cleaned it out to make sure vent hole was good

Debris in tank was said to be minimal and small.  

It’s a pretty intensive job to replace the fuel tank sending unit.  It’s basically a float.  Apparently notorious for the steel case corroding.  Plastic fenders must come off and to that, the seat comes off, a couple knobs come off, and then you have to take the tank off (maybe no to do the sending unit)
Right now I don’t have time to do that myself so will take to another kubota dealer next week

It has cut out on slight banks, flat ground (even though I live in SW Pa, I still have lots of flat ground to mow), going up or down hill, maybe mostly up.  
Asked them to check and replace the fuel lines too.  They are not that much $ from what I looked up.

The parts diagrams on line are not complete.  No wiring or very limited wiring diagrams shown.  Not sure if there are any other sensors or solenoids that could be causing this.

And apparently this is not an uncommon issue on these little kubota tractors, from what I am finding on my other on line research
Some have found a cure by changing filters and flushing out lines.   But I do see a bunch saying the sending unit was their problem.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Did they remove the tank and clean it out GOOD?  What you describe is when we usually find the exit nipple of the tank stopped up.  Did you put fuel in it since you've had it home?  If you had trash in tank it came from somewhere and it's mostly like your tank or cans.  It's always possible you have an injector pump going bad.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Got the tractor back Wednesday and was able to run it for at least 45 minutes

This trip to a different dealer shop, they tore it down and they did replace the fuel sending unit.
While i ran it, it sounded good and ran like a champ. It will be getting a much longer workout this weekend and all next week, so if that truly took care of the problem, will know by Sunday.  

The fuel sending unit apparently is prone to corrosion and the case deteriorating , causing fuel starvation issues.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Still the same problem
Cutting out right from the start today
I’ve replaced all the fuel system parts I know of
Filters, pump under the frame, fuel sending unit, tank was cleaned.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still the same problem
Cutting out right from the start today
I’ve replaced all the fuel system parts I know of
Filters, pump under the frame, fuel sending unit, tank was cleaned.  
View Quote

Run some seafoam through to maybe dislodge any crap on the high pressure side?

ETA, do they have one of those priming buttons?  Make sure that’s got a good seal, should be blowing chunks rather than sucking air but never know.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ll try the sea foam

It wouldn’t stay running at first yesterday.  But let it run/idle for 15 minutes or so, then it was OK when I pushed in the gas pedal.  Ran OK for a couple hours I guess.   But when the fuel level was done, it stalled out on me again.   It was almost dark and getting cold anyways.   But this is just nuts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top