Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2017 1:07:19 PM EDT
I have several buddies with boats on lifts minutes from me I usually fish the bay with so my Pro-Line just sits.....and sits. I usually start it on the hose at least every 3 weeks and run ethanol free 91, Stabil blue and Sea Foam in it. Always fires right up but not last week. I figured it was the over 2 year old fuel.

I siphoned out all 8 gallons and it smelled like paint thinner. The external fuel water separator filter looked great but the little spin on filter at the lift pump under the cowl was full of rusty bits when I poured it out. Shit, I'm thinking $500 for a new downstream recirculation pump and $300 times 4 for new high pressure injectors and the PITA of recalabrating the EMM/injectors with my software.

This morning I refueled with 15 gals of fresh fuel then topped off the new filters and installed. I removed the schrader valve on the high pressure side and pumped at least a half gallon through the recirculation pump with the hand pump bubble until it came out clean without any specks of rusty crap. It took about 3 20 second cycles (with a one hour battery charge in between) for it to fire up. Idled perfectly for 5 minutes with head temps between 102-105 degrees. Ran it a good 5 minutes after the thermostats opened at 1,600 RPM with all 4 head temps reading between 99-101. It just purred. Idled it for a few minutes more and it sounds perfect.

I'm tickled. Gonna dunk it next Mon. and leave it docked all week behind a friends house and use it everyday. Use it or lose it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Two year old fuel?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Two year old fuel?
View Quote
At least, boat hasn't moved in over 3 years. Ever since I got the Weld-Craft at our lakeplace which gets used at least 60 days a year. No biggie I paid cash for it back in '87. I rerigged the Fitch on it back in '03 with 30 hours on it, doubt seriously if it has 150 hours on it now. Was gonna sell it a few years back but the deal fell through. DW says keep it now and move it to the lake next year when she retires. She want's a bigger/safer boat than the Jon for when the grandkids get older (1 and 4 now) and come up to the lake. We used the hell out of it for over 10 years when the boys were young. The Keys every year for a week, Stump Pass/Ski alley and Bokellia/Pine Island sound/Charlotte harbor. We can't wait to yank some victims on tubes again at the lake. Sucker goes 45.

Another reason it sits is I'm Kinda burnt out on Salt water after 50 years of doing it but still like the cobia runs spring and fall in the bay on light tackle during the week and the incredible snook fishing around all the docks off Westshore after dark. Have buddies with boats on lifts minutes away that share my passion too so no need to dunk my rig.

I've had the boat 30 years now and with the Good Lords blessing she will get a second time around with the grandkids.

Gratutious Pic of DW and boat.

I took the graphics off after too many complained it looked like the police were coming from a distance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top