Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2019 3:36:57 AM EDT
We store rice and buckwheat for a "rainy day". These products alone can be a food source for a long time but they do taste much better with butter. I've been thinking of storing some butter too. Canned butter and powdered butter are available to purchase online and I will probably order some but I want to try making it myself. My grandma used to make Ghee butter from a regular, store bought butter. It tasted great and seemed to store for a long time in a mason jar without refrigeration. She said it was a lot healthier too.
Just curious, do you guys store butter? Do you make your own canned or powdered butter? Any recipes or suggestions? How long can it be stored?
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 4:56:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I store canned red feather butter and bulletproof ghee among my fats. I do worry about shelf life as I don't rotate it enough. Red feather no longer ships to the US so it can't be replaced.
I need a cheaper brand of ghee but the trader Joe's cheap stuff doesn't store well.
I like the idea of canning my own ghee but that sounds like a lot of work.
Would like to add powdered butter but can't find one I like.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I store canned red feather butter and bulletproof ghee among my fats. I do worry about shelf life as I don't rotate it enough. Red feather no longer ships to the US so it can't be replaced.
I need a cheaper brand of ghee but the trader Joe's cheap stuff doesn't store well.
View Quote
Is this a recent thing? It seems to still be available on Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I buy in bulk store in freezer  and rotate

I have canned butter as well but I will rely on oil if I ever run out as they store for years
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes recent.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
It does take some work but it's easy to make as long as it's pure, organic, unsalted butter with 85%+ of fat content. Many store bought butter brands taste like "chit" once melted and filtered, because of impurities. Impurities in butter will also shorten storage time significantly.

BTW, regular butter can be stored for weeks or even months in clean water, without refrigeration. I learned this trick from my grandpa.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes recent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes recent.
Can you cite that?  I find it on several sites, and can’t find anything about some change to their shipping policies
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Just found Red Feather for $180 shipped for a case of 24 cans
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just found Red Feather for $180 shipped for a case of 24 cans
View Quote
Amazon?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Who told you that?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I use and not just store Red Feather butter. It actually has better color than cheaper store bought refrigerated butter and tastes very good. I get mine from Amazon.

Amazon Product
  • RED FEATHER CANNED BUTTER: Better than grocery store butter, Sweet creamy butter with a pure, fresh taste, Each can contain 12 oz. /Can.
  • PACKAGING AND SAFETY: Sealed airtight for maximum freshness, their canned butter delivers convenience in the form of extended shelf life and easy distribution without the necessity of refrigeration, Shelf stable for 10 years, Imported from New Zealand. Shelf stable for 10 years.
  • MOST OF THE USE: It has also proven ideal for disaster preparedness, camping, boating, and remote areas where refrigeration is not freely available, Perfect for food storage, Best for your earthquake preparedness survival kit. Conveniently stackable cans.

24 Can Case for $159:

Amazon Product
  • RED FEATHER CANNED BUTTER: Better than grocery store butter, Sweet creamy butter with a pure, fresh taste, Each can contain 12 oz. Per Can
  • PACKAGING AND SAFETY: Sealed airtight for maximum freshness, their canned butter delivers convenience in the form of extended shelf life and easy distribution without the necessity of refrigeration, Shelf stable for 10 years, Imported from New Zealand.
  • MOST OF THE USE: It has also proven ideal for disaster preparedness, camping, boating, and remote areas where refrigeration is not freely available, Perfect for food storage, Best for your earthquake preparedness survival kit.

Amazon does sell a powdered butter but I've never used it and cannot comment on it as far as taste, etc.  but here's a link to a few options.

Amazon Product
  • Made in a facility that also makes wheat products
  • 1 Pound Jar Butter Powder, packaged in plastic jar and sealed for freshness
  • 72% fat, GMO FREE, A Product of USA

Amazon Product
  • 204 Servings
  • 7,140 Calories
  • Perfect for Food Storage, Emergencies, Survival, Camping, and Everyday Use!

As far as buying ghee (clarified butter), expect to pay about $1.00 per ounce.

Amazon Product
  • Grass fed from pasture-raised and hormone-free New Zealand cows, no antibiotics. Made with no dairy ingredients.
  • Spreadable at room temperature, no refrigeration required
  • Light and creamy whipped texture with just the right amount of fine-ground, mineral rich Himalayan Salt Pink Salt

Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry got busy.
I am a distributor for red feather and they informed me that they had stopped shipping to the US and had no future plans to do so.
No reason given. Don't spread the word till we all get ours LOL
Amazon is a good price.

It really screws me as I had started blowing out my inventory so as to make room for fresh when I got the notice so I only have half as much as I need and just paid retail to restock my personal stash.

@kala_azar
@Arkady
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sorry got busy.
I am a distributor for red feather and they informed me that they had stopped shipping to the US and had no future plans to do so.
Amazon is a good price.

It really screws me as I had started blowing out my inventory so as to make room for fresh when I got the notice so I only have half as much as I need and just paid retail to restock my personal stash.

@kala_azar
@Arkady
View Quote
Buck, do you sell directly or through Amazon? I'd rather get some from you than from Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#13]
My uncle would often want to drive to the city and hit up some of the stores that sold food based on this group or that group.  Like go to the store run by someone from china for some of the ingredients for some of his chinese cooking.

I think the greek guy is where I bought some ghee and was happy with it.  I used it to try it but should wander back to get some more.

This is first I heard about red feather butter, sad to hear.  I don't stock a lot of it but butter is kind of nice to have around.

In the regular fridge are a few bars of the kerry gold butter.  Keeps plenty long enough for how I use it.

I am not going to try and make my own ghee, simpler and easier for a single guy to buy it.  I have stuff for canning things, but other than vacumn sealing some stuff in canning jars I don't use em for much.

I will probably buy some marshmellows and pull a vacumn on them.  Always puts a smile on my face.

If things get bad, the can of lard will get used for cooking.  I like butter for flavoring but in good times do often use it for cooking.  I also have a big pail of coconut oil I got when amazon cleared em out for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:01:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Buck, do you sell directly or through Amazon? I'd rather get some from you than from Amazon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry got busy.
Amazon is a good price.

@kala_azar
@Arkady
Sorry... I did sell on Amazon and everywhere but I am keeping the last my inventory for my family.
I did contact them again to confirm and they said no more.
I know they had some sales drop with the decision to go halal and pay that extortion to the Muslims. But I can't imagine that affected US sales.
I have not found another canned butter available in the US. Anchor butter is great and comes in cans in Europe but they haven't gotten excited about shipping a container over.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I never knew powdered butter had so many options.  Might order some to play with.

I have some ghee and some red feather butter already around here someplace.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#16]
How long will Red Feather last on the shelf?

I have a small case of 6 I got back in the day.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How long will Red Feather last on the shelf?

I have a small case of 6 I got back in the day.
View Quote
10 years is the listed shelf life.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My uncle would often want to drive to the city and hit up some of the stores that sold food based on this group or that group.  Like go to the store run by someone from china for some of the ingredients for some of his chinese cooking.

I think the greek guy is where I bought some ghee and was happy with it.  I used it to try it but should wander back to get some more.

This is first I heard about red feather butter, sad to hear.  I don't stock a lot of it but butter is kind of nice to have around.

In the regular fridge are a few bars of the kerry gold butter.  Keeps plenty long enough for how I use it.

I am not going to try and make my own ghee, simpler and easier for a single guy to buy it.  I have stuff for canning things, but other than vacumn sealing some stuff in canning jars I don't use em for much.

I will probably buy some marshmellows and pull a vacumn on them.  Always puts a smile on my face.

If things get bad, the can of lard will get used for cooking.  I like butter for flavoring but in good times do often use it for cooking.  I also have a big pail of coconut oil I got when amazon cleared em out for some reason.
View Quote
I once bought Ghee butter at Costco but returned it. The taste was terrible. My wife found very good Ghee butter at Walmart, for about $9 for a 380 gr. can. I can take a picture of the can when I get home. It tastes much better but expiration date is May 2019. They probably put the short expiration date for legal reasons. Ghee should store a lot longer without refrigeration.
I'll try making some myself and will post results and a recipe if anyone is interested. There are several different recipes. One of them requires to dissolve the melted butter with clean water of equal amount, mix well and store it in a refrigerator overnight. Water will separate and dissolve all impurities. Water and all impurities can be drained after it's removed from the fridge.
My wife and I also talked about making our own butter. There is a farmer 2 miles from us, who sells raw milk. It tastes like real milk should. Store bought milk makes my stomach go nuts but I can drink raw milk with no issues. His milk is a bit pricey though, at $8 per gallon.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sorry... I did sell on Amazon and everywhere but I am keeping the last my inventory for my family.
I know they had some sales drop with the decision to go halal and pay that extortion to the Muslims. But I can't imagine that affected US sales.
I have not found another canned butter available in the US. Anchor butter is great and comes in cans in Europe but they haven't gotten excited about shipping a container over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry got busy.
Amazon is a good price.

@kala_azar
@Arkady
Any idea if Bega cheese is going away too?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Any idea if Bega cheese is going away too?  
View Quote
Thats a good question... I don't sell much of that
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I thought about storing Red Feather, but it is incredibly expensive.  Even the case price is $6.62 for the equivalent of 3 sticks of butter.  You can probably buy butter in the store for $3 for 4 sticks (16 oz.) and just keep it in the freezer.

Sure, if you're planning for the end of the world and having no electricity, Red Feather will be edible for years after you run out of gas for your generator.  But I couldn't get past the price, and am not planning for the end of the world anyway.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I thought about storing Red Feather, but it is incredibly expensive.  Even the case price is $6.62 for the equivalent of 3 sticks of butter.  You can probably buy butter in the store for $3 for 4 sticks (16 oz.) and just keep it in the freezer.

Sure, if you're planning for the end of the world and having no electricity, Red Feather will be edible for years after you run out of gas for your generator.  But I couldn't get past the price, and am not planning for the end of the world anyway.
View Quote
I think the cheapest rout would be buying butter on sale and converting it to ghee and canning it the shelf life should be good.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Speaking of shelf life fractionated coconut oil or mct oil has an almost indefinite shelf life.
I have seen it for $8 a gallon if you buy it in 55 gallon drums.....
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#25]
My Amazon order of Red Feather came in. I haven't tried it yet.

Mr. Buck, do you know what the code on the can mean? I can't find any other stamps for expiration or manufacture dates. The code on the bottom of the can is: 22890103.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Red feather tastes rich and cheamy like European butter. I buy a case a year. I've been rotating out the stuff 6 to 7 years or older and my kids enjoy. You certainly pay more lb for lb for the storage medium but it is excellent butter.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#27]
As an aside there is such a thing as dehydrated powdered butter. Haven't used it yet but I have read it is good.
Trying some real soon for an extended hike.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I can my own butter, it's a process and not all that hard.

buy bulk butter at best price per lb you can find.

take cleaned jars that are pint sized, and put sticks of butter in the jars.

place in oven at 225f

heat till liquid then add additional small cut up cubes from a stick to top butter off in the jar.

place back in oven till all is melted.

sterilize and install lids like you would for traditional canning. Tighten down lids tight.

Leave jars in oven for an additional 10 min to allow the seals on the jar to seal to the glass.

remove from oven.

Using glove shake the jars repeatedly.

As they cool you have to keep shaking them so it does not separate into ghee

After butter solidifies you are done and let them cool to room temp.

Did this many years ago and I am still using butter from the first batch!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top