Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2022 7:46:32 PM EDT
I’m new to HAM radio and I was reading that frequency 146.520 is the 2M national calling frequency. I’ve considered setting my radio on that frequency while traveling while also putting a bumper sticker on my vehicle to see if I get any contacts that way.

Does 146.520 have traffic on it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Sky King, Sky King, Sky King, do not answer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear a little traffic on it too far away to make out the transmissions most days.

Make contacts about once a month.

If you don't call, you don't know if anyone is listening.  A bumper sticker is a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep one side on it when traveling and one side on repeaters. Drove from here to Florida last year and never heard a peep. I've heard a bit at home when monitoring band openings .

I've got some .520 contacts but never on the road
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#4]
PA to FL last winter…heard traffic on .520.  Couple of guys in Fayetteville NC enjoying themselves.  And that was with a HT.  A Co-linear on the trunk lid would have been much better.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I hear a little traffic on it too far away to make out the transmissions most days.

If you don't call, you don't know if anyone is listening.  A bumper sticker is a good idea.i
View Quote

I might have the wife cut me a 146.520 Monitoring decal for my Trucks back window...
Quoted:
I keep one side on it when traveling and one side on repeaters. Drove from here to Florida last year and never heard a peep. I've heard a bit at home when monitoring band openings .

I've got some .520 contacts but never on the road.
View Quote

I do the same, one on our clubs repeater or a secondary and one on 146.520...

Don't hear much on tbe calling freq in town, but on the highway I hear a fair bit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#6]
There are frequencies above 30 MHz?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you don't call, you don't know if anyone is listening.  A bumper sticker is a good idea.
View Quote

Stickers
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#8]
If you live near mountians I’d suggest throwing it in your scan list. I hear SOTA stations fairly regularly here in NE GA.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you live near mountians I'd suggest throwing it in your scan list. I hear SOTA stations fairly regularly here in NE GA.
View Quote
I don't monitor it on my commute but when  I travel 120mi north to my parents I pass in range of several popular summits. Either memorize the grid squares you frequent or get a maidenhead app for your phone so you can give an accurate exchange. I usually nab 1-2 each way if the WX is good.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

He didn't say 11 Mhz.  He said 146.52
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ruby Hunter uses multiple freqs.

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Double tap
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread made me check, as I've never heard anything and I keep it on while locomoting around town and I had the frequencies all messed up (like wrong band messed up)

Yes, incorrectly.

Yes, now that I've fixed it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:09:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't typically monitor but have passed time on trips with a 146.52 sticker in the back window.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, and I've driven across 70 a few times in the past few decades and it's usually dead.  CB channel 19 is much more useful.  Most big trucks are on channel 19.
highway comms have definitely dropped off in the past 20 years as the internet can give traffic and hazard reports.  
President has a small and very decent radio, the President Bill II, which has FM in addition to AM (FM is approved for CB now, same freqs)
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#16]
It's on the scan list.  I've heard someone there half-dozen times over the previous three years and ~120,000 miles.  But I tend to travel remote areas and don't call CQ often.

It's worth keeping one side on it while traveling.  

Also, if you're looking for a scan strategy while traveling (without having to load and dump repeater lists for each 'new' area) say so.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Its on my scan list as well. I was surprised at how many repeaters I heard using my local ones on scan. .520 contacts have been almost all sota and pota.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's on the scan list.  I've heard someone there half-dozen times over the previous three years and ~120,000 miles.  But I tend to travel remote areas and don't call CQ often.

It's worth keeping one side on it while traveling.  

Also, if you're looking for a scan strategy while traveling (without having to load and dump repeater lists for each 'new' area) say so.
View Quote

My intention of this thread wasn’t to learn about scanning strategies while traveling but that does sound awesome! What strategy can you fill me in on?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#19]
When I'm out in the middle if nowhere, I'll listen to 6.52 in case I hear a call for help.  

Otherwise, not really.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Drove from NJ to fla last month.
Didn't hear a word the entire trip.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#21]
It’s the most active 2 meter simplex frequency in the Phoenix area, has been for the last 20 years or so.

https://area52.boards.net/
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My intention of this thread wasn’t to learn about scanning strategies while traveling but that does sound awesome! What strategy can you fill me in on?
View Quote

I've been trying to find my archived thread but haven't been successful.  Here is the gist:

1.  Download the entire repeater list for California.  Why California?  Because it has so many repeaters you're almost gauranteed to get every frequency combination.  You could do the entire US if you really wanted.  Just need it in Excel.*
2.  Get rid of DMR repeaters and other digital modes your radio may not support.
3.  Get rid of weird offsets.  These aren't "standard" and aren't worth worrying about for scanning.
4.  Get rid of pair duplicates.  (you only want one record for each frequency pair)
5.  Set each of them to tone TX.  It doesn't matter what the tone is, just that your radio knows it needs to transmit a tone.  Make sure you aren't setting your radio to tone squelch.  Just tone.
6.  Set every one to the same name.  (I use "repeaterscan") to know it's a scanning channel and not an actual local repeater.
7.  Dump it to your radio.

This will get you a list of about 300 repeater pairs.  Different radio work differently, but you'll want to assign them all to the same bank, or to multiple banks and use bank linking (Yaesu) or group scan (Kenwood).

Scan your bank or activate group scan.  I prefer to use time based scan resume instead of carrier based.  That way if i'm not interested in the few seconds of convo i hear it just moves on without me having to touch it.

When your radio pauses on a convo you're interested in, you can halt the scan.  My kenwood has the ability to then scan for the tone.  I'm sure other radios do as well.  So i just hit the button to scan for tone and then i'm ready to talk.  

My Kenwood d710 cycles through my repeater scan list while circling back to "common" channels like 2mcall, ISS, etc.  It takes about 30 seconds to cycle through everything.

*RTSystems programming software has the ability to query repeaterbook directly.  It's also possible to download a CSV file, etc, just use whatever works for you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#23]

I don't hear much on it.

I sometimes call out on POTA activations, but have never gotten a reply.

I have seen hams on the interstate, held up the mic, then showed 5 fingers, then 2 fingers and  chatted a few times.
typically when I notice an HF antenna.

I have also seen 146.52 decals on vehicles.

Southeast of me, I hear a bunch of guys chatting on 146.52, especially at night.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Drove from NJ to fla last month.
Didn't hear a word the entire trip.
View Quote

I drove from ME to VA on Monday and heard nothing.  But that's because it wasn't until Harrisburg PA that I realized that I never reconnected the antenna on my mobile.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Had a long conversation on 52 with three other ham cars on a trip from Greenville SC to Myrtle Beach SC. Started hearing them just below Columbia. Otherwise its been very few contacts other than the POTA and SOTA operators. It seems that groups of hams use other simplex frequencies for chats. I was listening to guys on 147.420 and bumped the dial to 147.500. There were hams conversing on 147.510.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:50:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Had a long conversation on 52 with three other ham cars on a trip from Greenville SC to Myrtle Beach SC. Started hearing them just below Columbia. Otherwise its been very few contacts other than the POTA and SOTA operators. It seems that groups of hams use other simplex frequencies for chats. I was listening to guys on 147.420 and bumped the dial to 147.500. There were hams conversing on 147.510.
View Quote
Locals with set frequencies maybe?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes. The 147.42 group was in a neighboring County. The 147.51 guys weren't too far from my mobile when I heard them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#28]
The point is that 146.520 is supposed to be call and switch. So if you want to hear simplex comms, you will need to scan around a few freqs. That said, there is a local who monitors 52 and will put out a call ever so often. I've spoken to him several times.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#29]
In my AO 2m simplex is 146.580, that is where any chatter aside from pota/sota will actually be heard. That's also where the local highschool and middle school ham clubs make contacts.

Our family uses 146.535 when we travel in multiple vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The point is that 146.520 is supposed to be call and switch. So if you want to hear simplex comms, you will need to scan around a few freqs. That said, there is a local who monitors 52 and will put out a call ever so often. I've spoken to him several times.
View Quote

Granted. I suspect though that this is a regional thing. It sounds as if east coast has quite a bit more traffic.

In Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Utah, Nevada, etc .52 is quiet.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I have 2 dual bands in the shack and I monitor 2 local repeaters, 146.52 and 446 when at home. When I get my antenna for my 7100 up I’ll monitor D-Star too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Granted. I suspect though that this is a regional thing. It sounds as if east coast has quite a bit more traffic.

In Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Utah, Nevada, etc .52 is quiet.
View Quote

If the operators are actually doing the call and switch, then finding what frequency they switched to is the trick. Mostly, I hear ops on 52 from the Blue Ridge Parkway which is 40 miles from my location, but line of sight over some stretches.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I have it in a scan list. I've had two contacts so far.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#34]
use CW on it and call CQ
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
use CW on it and call CQ
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#36]
When I went to Hamvention a few years ago, I had my mobile tuned to 146.52. I ended up talking with 2-3 guys between Virginia and Ohio so it was good. Different areas have more folks listening/talking than others.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Does 146.520 have traffic on it?
View Quote

When I'm driving beyond the range of my preferred local repeaters, yes, I monitor it. I also monitor 10 meters and 6 meters FM call frequencies (via TYT-9800 radio). Every once in a while, there's a pleasant surprise. Not often, though.

Cheers,

Ken
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#38]
I listen to 146.520 from about 7am until noon, most days of the week. If theres pretty good propagation I hear quite a bit of traffic. Locally, theres an occasional opportunity (3-4 times a year) I'll hear someone driving through.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm on 520 and aprs (with a beacon that I'm listening on 520) every workday. Sometimes I hear people way off, sometimes I have a friend calling.

Most times its empty.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Heard a guy calling from the top of Mount Washington, while I was driving through Maine today on 52. He couldn't hear my mobile :(
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Had an unexpected QSO on .520 on the way home from work on Friday.  Chatted with the guy for about 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#43]
did a POTA activation today.

I thought about this thread, and called "CQ PARKS ON THE AIR, 2METER SIMPLEX" one time.  ( 146.520)

and immediately got a reply.

I explained what I was doing, went back to 7.258 and worked him again a few mins later.

Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I monitor it usually at my desk and on the road...but I also have 12 radios and all modes so I can afford the space to do it.  If I had just one radio or two? Probably not unless I was out hiking or trying to call out to someone to chat or for help (if I didnt have cell signal).
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
did a POTA activation today.

I thought about this thread, and called "CQ PARKS ON THE AIR, 2METER SIMPLEX" one time.  ( 146.520)

and immediately got a reply.

I explained what I was doing, went back to 7.258 and worked him again a few mins later.

View Quote

Thats kind of cool, I have noticed POTA activations at parks that are within 30 minutes here but obviously usually can't work them on HF, I guess I would need some sort of setup that would alert me if they were on 2m
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#46]
When I lived near I-64 in VA, I caught a lot of traffic on .520 and some of the locals used it often due to sparse repeater coverage.

I still have it as one of my scan freqs, but here in central MD, there are so many repeaters that .520 seems unused. I don't typically call out, just scan/monitor and answer occasionally.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thats kind of cool, I have noticed POTA activations at parks that are within 30 minutes here but obviously usually can't work them on HF, I guess I would need some sort of setup that would alert me if they were on 2m
View Quote

try them on HF groundwave also.

I have worked a bunch of locals on HF POTA

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#48]
If I have a radio on and its scanning, 146.520 is always channel 1 on my radios.
No QSOs in my local area, but:
- 2 weeks ago, driving on highway to event - saw trailer and truck with canoe with callsign and 146520, called and spoke to him.
- Said listening while mobile in Rhode Island over the summer, guy came right back and said several locals listened and used it frequently.
- While driving to Massachusetts last weekend, said listening on 52 outside of Albany, NY and local responded and said several in the area used it.

But not much luck locally or in rural areas while driving around.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When I lived near I-64 in VA, I caught a lot of traffic on .520 and some of the locals used it often due to sparse repeater coverage.

I still have it as one of my scan freqs, but here in central MD, there are so many repeaters that .520 seems unused. I don't typically call out, just scan/monitor and answer occasionally.
View Quote

Why don't you ever answer me when I call? Don't you like me?  Just kidding.  Maybe we will have a QSO some day on .520
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#50]
I monitored 146.52 religiously and put my call up 100's of times for the first 3 years after I had my license.  I made fewer than a dozen QSO's in those 3 years, thus the 2meter/440 radio never even gets turned on anymore.  The 27mhz radio on the other hand gets used heavily, its not unusual to make 20+QSO's in a 15 minute drive when the band is open.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top