Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2020 9:15:37 PM EDT
I'm in GA and I just purchased a AR10 this Feb and I want to get into hog hunting. Should I consider getting a sidearm to protect myself in the case I find myself against any charging sounders or to finish a kill? Do you think there is enough to it versus a knife? I plan on working with many farmers in my nearby area and I'm planning on fitting my AR10 with a suppressor to reduce noise complaints and engage multiple hogs quietly, so I'd have to fit one onto the sidearm should I chose to get one so that's also a consideration I am looking at. I turn 21 this December so I have plenty of time to consider all my options, get sound advise, and learn what works and doesn't for this and I've got my Army enlistment bonus of $10K before taxes to help my budget.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes carry a pistol especially for hogs. Dont bother suppressing it.  It's for just in case.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, first year I did I dropped my rifle after I shot 2 deer with it. Had to finish one off with my model 69.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#4]
yep I fell out of tree stand breaking the stock on my BAR and packing my M2 full of mud, found some tp in my pocket and a stiff branch to clear the shotgun's barrel and shot a hog and 7  pointer with that but I still hd a functioning pistol just encase
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep. Ruger SP 101 in .357 is my dedicated hunting side arm. I find myself packing a G26 often tho.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
1066  10mm here most always otherwise 629 3"44 mag,ya never know.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, always.

I have had to put a pistol round in 2 deer that were not dead but were down hard (I am a guide) and I have had to shoot one that ran into the side of my truck.  My pistols get used in that manner more often than not.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Always hunting hogs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes.  Carried a Glock 20 for a couple years and bought a SW 329PD for next season.  Better to have it and not need it than need it...
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#10]
We always carry pistols, but don’t bother with the suppressor on the pistol. The 50 cents you’re saving per round on finishing one with the pistol vs the rifle isn’t worth the weight and inconvenience. Just my 2 cents, fwiw.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes. Glock 20 is my preferred woods gun. Anytime I'm in the forest on my property or on a hunt that pistol is on my hip with 2 spare mags. Have been pondering a .44 Ruger Super Redhawk tho.

You need something for the wild animals that smell your kill, and to protect yourself from the 2 legged animals that prey on people with criminal intent
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes. Glock 20 is my preferred woods gun. Anytime I'm in the forest on my property or on a hunt that pistol is on my hip with 2 spare mags. Have been pondering a .44 Ruger Super Redhawk tho.

You need something for the wild animals that smell your kill, and to protect yourself from the 2 legged animals that prey on people with criminal intent
View Quote
Man I sure miss my super redhawk, Sometimes I carry the .45 or the .357 Ruger SP. But I don't always mainly if I'm in and out of the ladder stand.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#14]
No

I hunt pigs with a rifle and keep it on me
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, regardless if I'm out in Wyoming or home in Florida.  My favorite is my S&W 629 Mountain gun in 44 magnum.  Shown here in the Big Horn Mountains in Buffalo Wyoming.

Link Posted: 3/5/2020 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll carry one with me if it's a long hike ..... like, we're leaving the truck and not coming back for 3-4hrs.  But if it's a short walk (100 acre property) generally I don't ...... unless we're checking hog traps too.

If I do carry one, it's whatever is closest at the moment ...... 9mm, 45 or 10mm.

Also, I agree with the others, I wouldn't worry about suppressing the pistol.  If the area is that sound sensitive, you probably need to be trapping ...... or bowhunting.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#17]
yep I carry 629 in 44 mag..

I had a 870 slug gun jammed ejecting a round..

had to put another round into a 7 ptr.  and after being chased by coyotes during muzzleloading season.. with one shot i was like never again.. I always carry back up pistol now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#18]
When hog hunting, I’d rather have a spare mag for my rifle than a sidearm. I generally carry both, but the pistol is primarily for the pigs that seem to show up before the rifle is out of the case/truck.

As mentioned, I wouldn’t worry about a suppressor for a sidearm. Pistol calibers are (relatively) pretty quiet to begin with, and a suppressor makes a handy pistol not handy.

Also consider investing a portion of your sign on bonus. (Especially with the stock market being so low currently, there is going to be a big rebound in the market ahead.) Plenty of guys get out of the army at E5 or 6 and have nada to show for it.

Finally, you mentioned Georgia. If you’re going to be there long term, consider joining a hunt lease with lots of pigs. $500-$1000 toward a good hunt lease will help you bag LOTS more pigs if that’s your goal.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, always.
If a hog gets into the thicket, into Cedar tress etc a long gun is way to awkward.
I have found Three hogs while I was basically duck walking under trees and brush, One was still alive, and pissed.
Anyway my back-up pistol on hog hunts is a 454.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Always!

Even when shooting another gun for fun, I have a Glock 32 holstered. Walking in the woods? Carry. Fishing?, carry. Jogging?, carry. Camping?, carry.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll be the outlier and say NO.

I don't hunt much these days.
But in my younger days, not once did I need a different gun than my 30-06 rifle on any of my hunts.

Now, if you have some handgun you love, and you WANT TO carry it on your hunts, I say go for it.
You can make up your own mind.

I carried a .357 revolver on several hunts in addition to my 30-06 rifle.
Those hunts involved a LOT of walking. The revolver was just DEAD WEIGHT for the entire hunt. That shit gets old.

I get it too that some types of hunting may require a coup de grace more than others.
Maybe you don't like blasting hogs a second shot with a 30-06 for whatever reason. Although I'm not sure what that reason would be. Maybe ears ringing bad enough already?
A pair of foamie earplugs weigh a lot less than a handgun.
I never had to shoot a deer a second time with the 30-06 in order to finish the job.

I've never hunted hogs. The internet stories about hogs "charging" hunters after the hog has already been shot, I find very suspect - or at least very infrequent.
I'd have to be within bad-breath distance of a hog to be worried I couldn't cycle the long-action bolt of the 30-06 in time to fire a second aimed shot if required.

I give no weight to the suggestions about the rifle breaking or becoming lost during the hunt as beeing sufficient to REQUIRE a hunter to carry a second firearm.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:48:01 AM EDT
[#22]
My hog hunts are in rough terrain in north Alabama and usually mean a long hike out with a pack full of pork. Weight is an issue but I still always seem to have either a 5" S&W M629 or a 4" aluminum 1911 (if I want to loose an extra pound). The handguns are great for general defense, including snakeshot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Get your carry license. Buy a small to medium handgun of your choice in a chambering suitable to the task. Then get used to carrying it everyday. It will serve you just as well in the woods as on the street.

I bought a Glock 20 the summer I graduated high school. One of the smartest decisions I ever made.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Ive never understood the mindset of having a pistol in case a hog charges.....why would you put down your ar15 and grab a pistol instead?  Also, when a hog charges you, you aren't going to have enough time to do all that.  They are faster then people think.  You are better off focusing on getting out of the way.  They can't turn very well so side step them when they get close.

I never carry a pistol personally.  And I've never been in a situation where i wish i had one.  I throw an extra mag in my back pocket, a flashlight, and my phone.  Thats it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ive never understood the mindset of having a pistol in case a hog charges.....why would you put down your ar15 and grab a pistol instead?  Also, when a hog charges you, you aren't going to have enough time to do all that.  They are faster then people think.  You are better off focusing on getting out of the way.  They can't turn very well so side step them when they get close.

I never carry a pistol personally.  And I've never been in a situation where i wish i had one.  I throw an extra mag in my back pocket, a flashlight, and my phone.  Thats it.
View Quote

I pretty much agree, but with where I hunt out of stands at night. You sometimes come down the ladder and there's a pig. The pistol is a lot quieter than reloading the rifle and I've killed two that away that might have escaped. Now I was fishing once and a hog charged me on a cane trail and the pistol detoured him but it damn sure didn't stop him! But then again I rarely caring a pistol unless I'm in a tree at night. Do what makes you feel good. Only times I have ever seen hogs really fight is when being dogged. I've seen them knock people down running through their legs at night. But they tend to keep going.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I pretty much agree, but with where I hunt out of stands at night. You sometimes come down the ladder and there's a pig. The pistol is a lot quieter than reloading the rifle and I've killed two that away that might have escaped. Now I was fishing once and a hog charged me on a cane trail and the pistol detoured him but it damn sure didn't stop him! But then again I rarely caring a pistol unless I'm in a tree at night. Do what makes you feel good. Only times I have ever seen hogs really fight is when being dogged. I've seen them knock people down running through their legs at night. But they tend to keep going.
View Quote

Im glad OK opened it up to hunt at night.  I have a place south of mcalester but never go up there because you couldn't hunt at night.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Im glad OK opened it up to hunt at night.  I have a place south of mcalester but never go up there because you couldn't hunt at night.
View Quote

Yeah it took them long enough and you still have to download the apt and call the GW. But we're slowly modernizing maybe!
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:45:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I talk to one of the Pittsburgh county GWs occasionally, just to let him know what I'm seeing on the west side of the county. OK game wardens have all been good to deal with once I've made contact with them and let them know the general area I'm hunting.

As far as a sidearm, I never go out the gate without a 45. Have used it for final head shots a few times.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:04:22 AM EDT
[#29]
notsureifserious.gif
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I talk to one of the Pittsburgh county GWs occasionally, just to let him know what I'm seeing on the west side of the county. OK game wardens have all been good to deal with once I've made contact with them and let them know the general area I'm hunting.

As far as a sidearm, I never go out the gate without a 45. Have used it for final head shots a few times.

View Quote

Is Dru Polk still over there? I went to college with him.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:48:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah it took them long enough and you still have to download the apt and call the GW. But we're slowly modernizing maybe!
View Quote

Eastern Oklahoma is one of the most beautiful places in the country IMO.  And the people are the salt of the earth.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:45:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Yep always. Even if fishing or a walk. I like my 44spl loaded as hot as I can roll em.

I've been chased by a black bear all the way back to my truck.

No way I'm headed out without my gun.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:41:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Eastern Oklahoma is one of the most beautiful places in the country IMO.  And the people are the salt of the earth.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/62932/ECBE45D7-EE09-405E-A5A7-E7B3E859BF13-1391912.jpg

View Quote

That looks like Phil Hatridges place over west of Kiowa.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

Is Dru Polk still over there? I went to college with him.
View Quote

I think he's down in the southeast part of the state.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 1:06:46 AM EDT
[#35]

That looks like Phil Hatridges place over west of Kiowa.
View Quote

Don’t know who that is.  My place is south of Kiowa on the west side of 69
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By texassooner:

Don’t know who that is.  My place is south of Kiowa on the west side of 69
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By texassooner:

That looks like Phil Hatridges place over west of Kiowa.

Don’t know who that is.  My place is south of Kiowa on the west side of 69

He owns the sale barn at Atoka and the cafe in Kiowa. Get to know him he owns lots of land. And is a great guy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#37]
I use to when I hunted and it was always a .357. The one time I did not was in the UP and I walked up on a sleeping black bear. I could have reached out and touched him he was so close and I slowly back out of the area while holding my M1A at him.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Glock 29 or 20 10 mm
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes. Either a Blackhawk in .357 or a 9 mm BHP. During muzzleloader season it’s an 1858 Remington so there won’t be any gray area concerns about having a cartridge gun backup.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#40]
always, and I am hunting deer with a bow.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Son all you need for a sidearm is a .22LR I eradicate Hogs & Coyotes in Georgia & South Carolina. I contract out to People who have Hog Problems I use firearms and night vision over bait, Foot Snares, Neck  Snares, and Live traps Boar Busters the majority of the time and when I have live Hogs in a trap I just use a .22 LR to dispatch them with you don't need a large caliber to put down a Wild Feral Hog this 587-pound hog was in a boar buster live trap and I killed it with one single shot from .22 LR with a Shot to the head. They go out like a candle in the wind.
" />
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#42]
I carry a pistol but have started to carry one with a light. I do all my hog hunting at night so I’ve switched to carrying my Shadow Systems MR918 with a streamlight trl1 on it in a Blackhawk omnivore holster. I’ve ended up using it several times to search for and dispatch downed hogs in tall weeds.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 7:20:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I carry a pistol but have started to carry one with a light. I do all my hog hunting at night so I’ve switched to carrying my Shadow Systems MR918 with a streamlight trl1 on it in a Blackhawk omnivore holster. I’ve ended up using it several times to search for and dispatch downed hogs in tall weeds.
View Quote

That's good I also sometimes carry my 9mm Pistol from time to time depends on night hunting or day time checking traps it has the same light you have and I too carry it in the Omnivore Holster I like that holster I have two one for a light and one for without a light. Purchased one in an FDE to match my FDE color Pistol my tall suppressor sight and threaded barrel are no problem in that holster. For day time dispatching hogs in the trap I carry one of two .22lr Handguns one is a Rough Rider SIX GUN  6.5 ".22 / .22 Magnum Revolver one is a Kel-Tec P-17 5" 16+1 .22 LR semi-auto pistol. Both reliable fast and accurate.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#44]
My 629 in a kenai chest rig.

But I want to make a harvest with it if I get a shot close enough.... so there's that.

Link Posted: 7/3/2020 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#45]
I carry a PMR 30.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top