Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2020 2:00:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AASG]
I've always been told that black bears are more of a herbivore and scavenger.

Some of you may remember my thread about how I had numerous cougars on camera around my house a year or 2 ago, well now I just pulled trail came that were out for about a month on my hiking trail behind my house and I've got numerous bears. There were 2 pictures of deer running past the camera and then pics of a bear hot on their trail! This time of year the blackberries and salmonberries aren't ripe yet so they really don't have anything else to eat.
Check time stamp.

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
They eat a lot of fawns.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Had one come in at a dead run to a calf elk call, so I’m sure they’d have no qualms taking fawns.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Bears are ominverious, berries, fish, or whatever else they can get their paws on.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#4]
ive seen them take moose calves . im sure they will take a fawn
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bikerman9967:
ive seen them take moose calves . im sure they will take a fawn
View Quote
They are a major killer of moose calves up here.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
They do here in PA. I had one chase a doe to me years ago. I was sitting on the ground and a doe ran in about 30 yards and stopped behind a tree. I was just waiting until it stepped out and I was going to shoot it. All of a sudden it bolted straight down the mountain and I stood up thinking I could shoot it if it stopped. I heard some noise and looked to see a large black bear looking down the mountain where the deer just ran. I had my Winchester 7mm WSM off safe and the bear looked at me and let out a huff, then bolted up the mountain through a bunch of beech scrub. It happened so fast that I didn't react at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top