Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2022 12:27:11 PM EDT
Looking to put up a few 100 gal of diesel as a ‘get out of the city’ plan. I live in a very dry environment, and it’s 100+ F all summer. Mild winters.  

What’s the best way to store it? I was thinking a few 55 gal drums so that I could still move it around and load it into my truck. Is it better to cycle it through every few months or just treat it and keep for longer?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve stored Gerry cans of diesel for a couple years but I used pri-d fuel stabilizer as well as an algicide. I have four seasons so you may need something different.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have (4) 55 gallons drums filled. Diesel is still good and I filled them right when the covid panic came. I put fuel stabilizer and anti algae stuff in them. They are stored in a higher heat environment. I just have a tarp over them. No issues.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.

I've found some drums that held new motor oil. Is drip draining them and swishing around some gasoline good enough cleaning to hold diesel? I'd filter it on the way out.
This would be running a modern RAM Cummins engine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Drip draining a new drum is good enough for diesel.  If you are storing for years in a vapor tight 55 gallon drum, just use a biocide treatment and store in the shade.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I keep two drums of diesel and two drums of non-E 89 gasoline in the barn year-round. Only one gas drum is translucent but I keep them out of the direct sun. Sometimes we go through a drum in a few months, sometimes it lasts over a year, but I like to keep at least one full always. Only the tractor and SxS use diesel and they're incredibly fuel-efficient. This means that the drums could theoretically sit for two years — I have yet to have any issues with either. I bet the diesel would keep much longer if needed. I use dieselkleen silver in the summer and white in the winter.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#8]
What size and kind of fuel line do you cache?
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Treat it with some diesel fuel biocide and keep it in an air tight container, it will last years. I just finished up some diesel from 2011 that's been stored in 5 gallon NATO cans (in a non-climate controlled pole barn) with no issues. If storing in 55 gallons drum you can run a filter with your transfer pump for added protection.

5 gallon cans are easier to handle but take up more room, a 55 gallon drum of fuel is going to a bit over 400 lbs, movable by hand but I'd prefer to have at least a dolly for moving them around.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#11]
The only diesel-powered machine I have is a small mini excavator.  I usually keep the tank topped off, and 10 gallons of kero diesel mix to top off with prior to winter, and during winter.  I keep 3 gallons of just diesel for summer use.  If I use a can, I go fill it up.  That little bit, plus a full tank on the machine would let me run it for a while.  It has a small fuel tank on it but gets better than 1/2 gallon per hour at full throttle.  I have several oil filters, and one spare fuel filter on hand.

I don't have much need to keep more diesel on hand than that.  I do store a fair amount of non-ethanol gas and try to rotate it annually.  I quit using snake oil years ago and just get the non-ethanol.  I have used two plus year-old gas in all my small engines and powersports with zero issues.  I use regular but older scepter plastic gas cans or similar and have for over a decade.  I would love to invest and replace with some jerry cans from rover parts which is not that far away from me, but I have yet to justify the cost of buying 10 of those cans when I have had decent luck with regular ones I have had for years.  I rarely transport it anywhere and if I do need gas, I am usually bringing nothing bigger than a 2.5 gallon can.  The only time I move around my 5-gallon cans is when I am using the gas or bringing them to the gas station for refill.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Caveat- I'm definitely not a mechanic! I just took a piece of the fuel line to Napa and said "I need a roll this size and clamps." It seemed to be the same size as the fuel line I have coming out of one of my diesel tanks to a filter then to an old China Diesel gensets. Looked similar to fuel line I used doing similar work in my backhoe also.

Fuel issues due to age, degradation of the fuel, etc. are going to be a problem post SHTF, I figured some spares like this would help me do work arounds and repairs if/when that's ever needed.

View Quote

Spares are a good thing to have.  I have a bunch of different size gas lines on hand.  I would rather have it, then not be able to get it when I need it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I just ran my motor home hard on 2+ yr old diesel with no issue at all.  

Just an FYI
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Locally clear kerosene is $4.06 per gallon while dyed diesel is $4.79 per gallon. If I burned more diesel I’d probably mix kerosene in regularly to save money. First time I’ve ever seen kerosene cheaper than diesel.

I keep 8-10 gallons of kerosene on hand as a backup and to winterize my summer diesel since I don’t use much diesel normally.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Locally clear kerosene is $4.06 per gallon while dyed diesel is $4.79 per gallon. If I burned more diesel I’d probably mix kerosene in regularly to save money. First time I’ve ever seen kerosene cheaper than diesel.

I keep 8-10 gallons of kerosene on hand as a backup and to winterize my summer diesel since I don’t use much diesel normally.
View Quote

I also mix the little I use in my mini excavator for winter.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Picked up a couple semi saddle tanks for fuel storage. Used the hangers to mount them on pallet racks. Can pick them up with tractor loader if needed. Used one of the holes for a gravity drain so I don't need a pump.

Found them on FB pretty cheap, 100 bucks for the pair with mounts.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looking to put up a few 100 gal of diesel as a ‘get out of the city’ plan. I live in a very dry environment, and it’s 100+ F all summer. Mild winters.  

What’s the best way to store it? I was thinking a few 55 gal drums so that I could still move it around and load it into my truck. Is it better to cycle it through every few months or just treat it and keep for longer?

Thanks!
View Quote

If it's sealed from the atmosphere, it should stay good more or less forever.  You could call your local fuel distributor and price out a couple of barrels already sealed and with any additive packages you want.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I had diesel stored in metal Jerry cans for 3 years in my shop.

I put Pri-D and Biocide in, no mold, algae, nothing, tractor and truck are running just fine.

Wish I had a good spot to put a 55 gallon drum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top