Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2021 7:52:51 PM EDT
The Hidden Diablo Mountain Amateur Radio Jammer
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#1]
@piccolo - Is ARFCOM up to finding this snowflake?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@piccolo - Is ARFCOM up to finding this snowflake?
View Quote

IM coming soon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:15:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#4]
For the life of me I'll never understand how radio trolls can be so bored, have so much time and care so much about annoying others that they go through the effort and lengths they do to do what they do.

There's a guy near us who lives in Lake Charles Louisiana area who has been fined by the FCC and STILL is an annoying brat on some repeaters.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#5]
If I remember correctly, the guy was a butt hurt lefty mad because the chatter on the repeater was too "right wing" for him.  I hope he gets fined $1MM dollars.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For the life of me I'll never understand how radio trolls can be so bored, have so much time and care so much about annoying others that they go through the effort and lengths they do to do what they do.

There's a guy near us who lives in Lake Charles Louisiana area who has been fined by the FCC and STILL is an annoying brat on some repeaters.
View Quote

As decent as radio land is, there is always that percentage that is mentally bent.  That is not counting the guys that act like they own certain band areas and way over power tune over others when they want their chat room back.  A nice thing huh?

I did see that story, not sure where I linked to it from.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#7]
You can't fix stupid.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  If I remember correctly, the guy was a butt hurt lefty mad because the chatter on the repeater was too "right wing" for him.  I hope he gets fined $1MM dollars.
View Quote

Yup.  But he's not going to get fined if no one tracks him down.  We know he's a flaming lib, likes to ragchew in the morning, occasionally rag chews in the afternoon.  And he claims to be very involved in the hobby, which is rather evident by the steps he took to avoid being caught.

Making notes for pic:

Mount Diablo, Concord CA - K6POU 2 meter repeater

August 15th 2020 - used a Baofeng, encased in concrete inside a Bunker Hill Security plastic ammo box.  Went live @ 1500L on that date, and ran for 3 days.

His play list on his MP3 player ran from 0900L til Midnight.  Claims to have set it up 20 miles north on the other side of the bay.

Also claims to have left the hobby after his jamming didn't produce his desired results - but was apparently still listening, as he claims the evening ragchewing is no longer "toxic" in his mind.

I bet if you knock on his door not wearing a Trump hat and show him his pics, he'll confess and show you the jammer.  If California is a one-party recording state, you'll have enough to turn him over to the FCC.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Know what scares the shit of someone WORSE than having LEOs show up at the door?

Having a kind, soft-spoken unknown person show up and explain to him the error of his ways and explain carefully that LEOs have to obey the law and criminals don't.

No threats, just an explanation that criminals don't have to obey the law and that there are far greater penalties dished out on the street.

ETA. Yeah, I figured out where the repeater is. Well behind the lines, in fact right next the the granola bar of the entire state. SF Bay area.

ETA2. I don't want him to fear the FCC (who will do nothing) We want him to fear his fellow citizens.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#10]
The FCC wouldn't fine him?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I lived in Napa Ca. During the Loma Prieta earthquake of 89.   Some asshat was jamming the local 2M repeaters in Oakland and the surrounding areas.  Wish I had found the person responsible.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I lived in Napa Ca. During the Loma Prieta earthquake of 89.   Some asshat was jamming the local 2M repeaters in Oakland and the surrounding areas.  Wish I had found the person responsible.
View Quote

Whoever did that should be given a stern lecture about jamming emergency communications and then be burned at the stake with a slow fire.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Theres a youtube channel called Manchester Ringway or something and they have a bunch of videos about assholes like that jamming various Brit repeaters.  The lengths some of these assholes go to is crazy.  

Old timer in my club was telling us about them tracking down a guy years back getting drunk doing stupid stuff.  Apparently the repair costs he was left with to his home antenna system after a middle of the night visit got the point across and they didnt keep doing stupid stuff.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Know what scares the shit of someone WORSE than having LEOs show up at the door?

Having a kind, soft-spoken unknown person show up and explain to him the error of his ways and explain carefully that LEOs have to obey the law and criminals don't.

No threats, just an explanation that criminals don't have to obey the law and that there are far greater penalties dished out on the street.

ETA. Yeah, I figured out where the repeater is. Well behind the lines, in fact right next the the granola bar of the entire state. SF Bay area.

ETA2. I don't want him to fear the FCC (who will do nothing) We want him to fear his fellow citizens.

View Quote

Or find a guy who can act, give him $100, dress him like a homeless and ask to approach the individual to ask for spare change, then roll up his eyes and say while giggling madly: " Why are you jamming the repeater. Voices in ma head tell me you should stop jamming the repeater! Your karma needs fixin' "
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Or find a guy who can act, give him $100, dress him like a homeless and ask to approach the individual to ask for spare change, then roll up his eyes and say while giggling madly: " Why are you jamming the repeater. Voices in ma head tell me you should stop jamming the repeater! Your karma needs fixin' "
View Quote

while shaking a box of strike anywhere matches.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#16]
These idiots are everywhere.  I dropped membership from a club because they did absolutely nothing about the jammer they have.  I offered to help any way they needed and was turned down.  I check in occasionally and Tada he's still there.  They know who he is, where he lives where he works, he even shows up at their swapmeets.  I heard later one member tried to become friendly with him and convince him to get licensed to no avail.

Supposedly, the FCC is useless unless it is an LEO or FD radio system.

Bill
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

AFFIRMATIVE
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
These idiots are everywhere.  I dropped membership from a club because they did absolutely nothing about the jammer they have.  I offered to help any way they needed and was turned down.  I check in occasionally and Tada he's still there.  They know who he is, where he lives where he works, he even shows up at their swapmeets.  I heard later one member tried to become friendly with him and convince him to get licensed to no avail.

Bill
View Quote

Pretty much this unless you really go nuts.

As for the club, the Fuddlies at the top of the club have a "We just don't want any trouble" attitude.

As a direct result of this, things will get worse until it's totally out of hand.

Best answer? Warn him of the error of his ways ONCE, explaining to him that if there's a repeat performance his wife is going to receive a fish wrapped in a newspaper.

The reason that happens is because we let it happen.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pretty much this unless you really go nuts.

As for the club, the Fuddlies at the top of the club have a "We just don't want any trouble" attitude.

As a direct result of this, things will get worse until it's totally out of hand.

Best answer? Warn him of the error of his ways ONCE, explaining to him that if there's a repeat performance his wife is going to receive a fish wrapped in a newspaper.

The reason that happens is because we let it happen.
View Quote

“ leave the HT,.....take the cannolis “

Leave the gun Take the cannoli
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Lol, I'm listening to the repeater right now. Its refreshing to hear someone blasting Marxism and promoting capitalism.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lol, I'm listening to the repeater right now. Its refreshing to hear someone blasting Marxism and promoting capitalism.
View Quote

My buddy and I got banned from a repeater in Charlotte for condemning Marxism. Nothing new. I imagine it's a lot worse in CA.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I found a rogue fox who was trashing a repeater, nets, playing pron, etc. The club did nothing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I found a rogue fox who was trashing a repeater, nets, playing pron, etc. The club did nothing.
View Quote

Liability and plausible deniability. The best thing would be for a non club member to take minor actions to let the jammer know that there are consequences, IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
These idiots are everywhere.  
View Quote
Well, whatever anyone might decide to do, they should most assuredly NOT park in front of his house and harass the pilots on the airband or the local cops on their freqs.  That would bring almost immediate attention and possibly a search warrant.  ??

Totally not fair.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Bill
View Quote

Heck the county north to us had someone maliciously tying up the FIRE, EMS and SO repeaters for months and the FCC didnt do a thing about it.

They put the word out to local hams to start hunting. Most did not, but the idea that a adversary hunting the guy made him stop. We all have a good idea who it was. Local nutso ham who actually stole a dying club from its remaining members and self appointed him as president.

Link to news article
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My buddy and I got banned from a repeater in Charlotte for condemning Marxism. Nothing new. I imagine it's a lot worse in CA.
View Quote

Those conversations are always welcomed on my repeaters.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  Well, whatever anyone might decide to do, they should most assuredly NOT park in front of his house and harass the pilots on the airband or the local cops on their freqs.  That would bring almost immediate attention and possibly a search warrant.  ??

Totally not fair.
View Quote

That's akin to SWATing and could get someone killed, so don't do that.  Don't even suggest it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's akin to SWATing and could get someone killed, so don't do that.  Don't even suggest it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Well, whatever anyone might decide to do, they should most assuredly NOT park in front of his house and harass the pilots on the airband or the local cops on their freqs.  That would bring almost immediate attention and possibly a search warrant.  ??

Totally not fair.

Ah.... no, not akin or even close. Swatting involves reporting a violent felony in progress which brings a large, armed, and violent response.  

But no, someone shouldn't do that, but if the snowflake were to hear someone was going to he might decide to stop all on his own.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:  Ah.... no, not akin or even close. Swatting involves reporting a violent felony in progress which brings a large, armed, and violent response.  

But no, someone shouldn't do that, but if the snowflake were to hear someone was going to he might decide to stop all on his own.
View Quote

Prompting a search warrant by California cops is akin to SWATing.  This thread has run its course.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#30]
OP request
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top