Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2021 5:36:14 PM EDT
If there's a dedicated generator subforum or thread, I haven't found it, so I'll just post here.

I've considered buying a gasoline genny as a backup power source for years. Nothing elaborate, just something to power the two fridges, a few lights and maybe a TV and a fan or two (or heater in the winter).

I almost bought a $429 HF 4000W Predator, but stumbled on the Westinghouse WGen 3600v 4650/3600 Watt at Home Depot for only $299 (delivered to my house) and couldn't resist.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is it has only 2 120v household outlets, but I can just hook up a power strip and expand that, as long as I don't exceed the amperage. It does also have a 120v "RV" outlet, but that will require a pricey adapter cable. But it's still an option. And it has a nice large gas tank and enough hp for my needs.

For $299 I know it's not a premium unit, but lots of generators in this power range all look suspiciously identical except for paint job and label, and I figger they're all made by the same robots.

Anyone have any experience with this genny? Did I screw the pooch, or did I kill a fatted calf?

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been doing a lot of research lately on generators since the methbillys stole my last one when I chanced leaving it at the deer lease one too many times.  From my research, Westinghouse is good to go.  In fact, the guy I just bought a used B&S generator from today purchased a Westinghouse that was a bit smaller.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Bought a Westinghouse 12000/15000 dual fuel last week. Getting a transfer switch and outside outlet put in.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:48:47 AM EDT
[#4]
For a first generator I think that you did well.   The first of anything helps you decide what you like and don't like and then you can go from there.   Since it was only 299 you aren't breaking the bank if you decide to start over.   If you rarely have power outages then it is probably all that you will ever need IF YOU TAKE CARE OF IT.  

My first generator was a 8KW.   I paid $1,599 in 2000 for it.   It was loud.   It was a pain to get going.   It was a pain to keep gasoline stocked for.   It was a pain to have to run home and start it every time the power went out.  We had to conserver power when we ran it.  We ran it a lot because of frequent power outages.  After fifteen years of running it multiple days each year we bought a second.   My second generator was a 22KW propane standby.   Where it is located outside it didn't seem nearly as loud.   It starts itself.   We have a 1K gallon propane tank to run it.  We don't have to conserve nearly as much.   We used to run it a lot.   Not so much lately.   But boy it uses a lot of fuel when it runs.  Now I also have a couple of 2KW inverters.   These are more multi-purpose items.   They get used quite a bit and many of the uses go beyond power outages.   So for short outages I can run the 22KW and live life normally.  For longer outages I can run the 22KW for an hour in the morning while everyone gets around, switch to a 2KW for the day, run the 22KW for dinner and cleanup, and scale back to the 2KW for the night.   Repeat as needed.   We could go for a while with the fuel that we have on hand with this arrangement.  

I would advise draining all of the fuel from your generator if you think that you may not be running it for a while.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#5]
If it doesn’t already come with one, install an hour meter in your new generator.  These things don’t generally come with fuel filters so changing the oil on schedule is important.  This will take the guess work out of it.

Doesn’t need to be this one, they’re all over the place and you may even be able to pick one up locally.
https://www.amazon.com/discoGoods-Waterproof-Inductive-Motorcycle-Snowmobile/dp/B01LZQ756Q/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=hour+meters+for+small+engines&qid=1621420913&sr=8-10
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got the Predator 3500 from harbor freight

It’s been great so far, I may have gone a different route but this one is mostly for an RV and I needed a quiet unit.

Not sure where you’re finding prices that low, but sounds like you got a great deal.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 7:33:41 AM EDT
[#7]
My predator was one of my best investments. Since I bought it about 5 years ago, we haven't lost power for more than 10 minutes combined

A buddy borrowed it and ran it solid a few days when his side of town lost power. No issues. You have to go into the small ones knowing that it's not like you can do whatever you want, you get limited use. So you can run a fridge and freezer, but not at the same time. that kind of thing.

So my use will be AC (lived in Texas and now Georgia so it's not optional) in one room with a portable AC to keep it going. then power the fridge, then freezer. I'll be movin cords around but that should be able to get us comfy for a few days.

I am focusing on low voltage/led lights, flashlights, lanterns, other battery back ups for portable DVDs and stuff like that. Not trying to live as normal but want to keep 2 young kids from going stir crazy
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been doing a lot of research lately on generators since the methbillys stole my last one when I chanced leaving it at the deer lease one too many times.  From my research, Westinghouse is good to go.  In fact, the guy I just bought a used B&S generator from today purchased a Westinghouse that was a bit smaller.
View Quote

That's encouraging. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bought a Westinghouse 12000/15000 dual fuel last week. Getting a transfer switch and outside outlet put in.
View Quote

I'd like to do that, too, but I hear getting a transfer switch installed would cost way more than the generator. And given our infrequent outages, I can't justify it. I could probably install one myself, but I've gotten zapped enough that it scares me. lol.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any generator is better than none.  Ours is a modest Brigs and Stratton unit that we bought used after a area wide blackout.  Basically 1/3 the price of a new one and we hooked up a transfer panel to the house so we can plug the panel into the generator and switch circuits from Grid to Generator.  The irony is we hadn't used the generator to power the house for about 10-years before we got another power outage.  Finally we lost power for 2-days and it was so convenient.  Ours is a 6250 running/6800 startup and we can't run everything but we can cover the essentials plus luxury items like lights, tv, cable/internet and more.  

If I replace the one we have I would go with something 8k to 10k as that would run everything with some self control on our part.  So, you asked if you made a mistake - only that you might have picked up a used unit that could power much more of your house.  Still, as I said sometimes a good start and a $expensive$ generator is tough to justify if you don't lose power often and I average about 7 years before we loose power for more than say 3hrs where the generator starts to become needed normally.  Short power outages we dig out the oil lanterns and play games.
View Quote

Point taken. After the sub-zero ice/snow storm we had recently, though, there's not many used generators to be had. Everyone is hoarding them now. Give it a year or so with our usual weather, and I'll bet genny's will be available for a song. I'll maybe get a bigger one if that happens.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For a first generator I think that you did well.   The first of anything helps you decide what you like and don't like and then you can go from there.   Since it was only 299 you aren't breaking the bank if you decide to start over.   If you rarely have power outages then it is probably all that you will ever need IF YOU TAKE CARE OF IT.  

My first generator was a 8KW.   I paid $1,599 in 2000 for it.   It was loud.   It was a pain to get going.   It was a pain to keep gasoline stocked for.   It was a pain to have to run home and start it every time the power went out.  We had to conserver power when we ran it.  We ran it a lot because of frequent power outages.  After fifteen years of running it multiple days each year we bought a second.   My second generator was a 22KW propane standby.   Where it is located outside it didn't seem nearly as loud.   It starts itself.   We have a 1K gallon propane tank to run it.  We don't have to conserve nearly as much.   We used to run it a lot.   Not so much lately.   But boy it uses a lot of fuel when it runs.  Now I also have a couple of 2KW inverters.   These are more multi-purpose items.   They get used quite a bit and many of the uses go beyond power outages.   So for short outages I can run the 22KW and live life normally.  For longer outages I can run the 22KW for an hour in the morning while everyone gets around, switch to a 2KW for the day, run the 22KW for dinner and cleanup, and scale back to the 2KW for the night.   Repeat as needed.   We could go for a while with the fuel that we have on hand with this arrangement.  

I would advise draining all of the fuel from your generator if you think that you may not be running it for a while.  

View Quote

Yep, good advice. If I lived in a Northern state, I'd have a permanent standby generator hooked up to natural gas (assuming that's available), with an automatic transfer switch. That way outages wouldn't last more than 30 seconds. Down here in the sunny Southwest, I just can't justify $10-12k for something I might never use.

We were fortunate and had only a 3-4 hour outage during our big freeze a couple months ago, but some people lost power for 3-4 DAYS. I figure we're not at risk for more than maybe a day's outage, but our electric grid people are beginning to mutter about possible power shortages this summer, and I have a stockpile of frozen foods I don't want to lose. This generator should be enough to keep the two fridge/freezers we have running, even if only one at a time.

I might buy a small room A/C just to have, since the genny won't run the central air and it can get HOT in Texas!
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If it doesn't already come with one, install an hour meter in your new generator.  These things don't generally come with fuel filters so changing the oil on schedule is important.  This will take the guess work out of it.

Doesn't need to be this one, they're all over the place and you may even be able to pick one up locally.
https://www.amazon.com/discoGoods-Waterproof-Inductive-Motorcycle-Snowmobile/dp/B01LZQ756Q/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=hour+meters+for+small+engines&qid=1621420913&sr=8-10
View Quote

Yes. I have an hour meter sitting on the kitchen counter awaiting the delivery of the generator!
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not sure where you're finding prices that low, but sounds like you got a great deal.
View Quote
The ol' Home Depot. They actually have two $299 units - the Westinghouse and another one, I think it's a Sportsman (?)
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#14]
My generator:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I see it's also $299 on Amazon, with free shipping for prime members. Don't know why it's cheaper than some others in this class.

I also ordered an adapter plug for the RV outlet that converts it to a household 120v outlet for all of $4.61:

Attachment Attached File

Goes into the RV outlet on the genny, and on the other side has a regular 3-prong household outlet. Steps it down from 30A to 15A, but they apparently all do. But it will still let me tap into that outlet for more plug options without splitting my amperage by daisychaining through power strips and extension cords. Kind of a loud yellow, but it will get the job done.

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd have a permanent standby generator hooked up to natural gas (assuming that's available)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'd have a permanent standby generator hooked up to natural gas (assuming that's available)

We live too far out in the country to get natural gas but honestly I like having propane.   We generally have about three years worth of propane for normal use on hand.   We have had a couple of natural gas issues in this area over the last couple of years and I like not having to worry about that when it happens.   Yes, there could be propane issues but we still store a bit of gasoline as well.   We cannot survive forever on what we have but I am comfortable that we would last longer than most.  

Quoted:
I just can't justify $10-12k for something I might never use.

I am trying to remember the price but installed it was about half the price that you listed.   I don't recall if it was 5K or 6K but I am comfortable that it isn't over 6K.   The first six months that we owned it we had four power outages that the generator ran through.   One was really short.   We could gotten by without on that one.    Most were several hours long.   Long enough to flood the basement without the sump pump running.   More than once I have gotten up in the night and tried to figure out what I was hearing.   The generator was running.  

Quoted:
some people lost power for 3-4 DAYS

We have had a lot of outages like that.   They aren't fun, even with a generator.    When you are powering your house off of a fifteen year old generator your mind wonders to the different things that could go wrong.   Will the engine fail?  If the voltage regulator fails then what items in the house will be damaged?    What is the potential to catch fire?   It wears on your nerves after a while.  

Quoted:
I might buy a small room A/C just to have, since the genny won't run the central air and it can get HOT in Texas!

I have a 5K BTU window air conditioner in my teardrop camper.   I could relocate to the camper to cool off or I could pull the A/C out and install it in a window if I needed to.   Options are nice.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I just looked at the schematic of how your generator is wired.   All three outlets are powered from the same winding.   The winding is fed through a 30 amp breaker to the two 30 amp plugs then through a 20 amp breaker to the 20 amp plug.   If I were you, I would buy a cord like this:  
https://www.amazon.com/Yodotek-Generator-Extension-Locking-Flexible/dp/B07KD937LJ/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=l5-30r+extension+cord&qid=1621466105&sr=8-5 This will allow you to pull the 30 amps that the generator provides and from there you can pull 15/20 amp cords to wherever you want to go.   Remember that 30 amps is your limit no matter how you run your cords.    If you exceed 30 amps then you will trip the breaker on your generator.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:38:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I never have any luck with gasoline operated equipment. I don't use it enough in the gas goes bad and I have to get it up and running again, I'm just not fastidious enough I guess. But my last portable generator was a 4000 Watt propane portable and it was perfect for me and my wife and daughter. Any one of us could start it with one pull because carburetor doesn't ever go bad and the fuel is pressurized. One pull and it goes! Even on a brand-new gasoline generator I'd be pulling and pulling.
I still have it and keep half a dozen BBQ bottles of propane stored to use in our shop because it's on a separate meter from the new 22kw whole house genset that runs off a thousand gallons of buried propane.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just looked at the schematic of how your generator is wired.   All three outlets are powered from the same winding.   The winding is fed through a 30 amp breaker to the two 30 amp plugs then through a 20 amp breaker to the 20 amp plug.   If I were you, I would buy a cord like this:  
https://www.amazon.com/Yodotek-Generator-Extension-Locking-Flexible/dp/B07KD937LJ/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=l5-30r+extension+cord&qid=1621466105&sr=8-5 This will allow you to pull the 30 amps that the generator provides and from there you can pull 15/20 amp cords to wherever you want to go.   Remember that 30 amps is your limit no matter how you run your cords.    If you exceed 30 amps then you will trip the breaker on your generator.
View Quote

Excellent, thanks. That would plug into the center outlet, I presume. Based on what you said about the wiring diagram, I guess it would allow access to all 30 amps, right? Wouldn't the adapter I posted do the same thing? (Of course, without the nice heavy-gauge extension cord.)
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I never have any luck with gasoline operated equipment. I don't use it enough in the gas goes bad and I have to get it up and running again, I'm just not fastidious enough I guess. But my last portable generator was a 4000 Watt propane portable and it was perfect for me and my wife and daughter. Any one of us could start it with one pull because carburetor doesn't ever go bad and the fuel is pressurized. One pull and it goes! Even on a brand-new gasoline generator I'd be pulling and pulling.
I still have it and keep half a dozen BBQ bottles of propane stored to use in our shop because it's on a separate meter from the new 22kw whole house genset that runs off a thousand gallons of buried propane.
View Quote

Yep, no question you have to keep the gas engines maintained, just like lawn mowers, tractors, etc. The best I can do is to always turn off the gas petcock when I'm done with it and let it run dry.

I think you can convert gas generators to propane without too much trouble or expense. I wonder how propane stacks up against gasoline in terms of run time? In other words, I wonder how long my generator would run on a 20lb tank, compared to a tank of gas?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#20]
For smaller generators (under 5kW), I think it is good to have a 120V only setup.  The problem with 120/240 generators is the windings being divided for dual voltage.  In other words, to obtain 240 volt operation, you have two sets of 120 volt windings.  Each set of windings can carry half of the total rated wattage.  If you have a 3500 watt generator, this means each 120 volt leg can handle 1750 watts.  Plug in your Keurig or a fridge/freezer and that one leg is maxed out.  This is a problem when people run a single extension cord into the house and then try and plug everything into a powerstrip.  Try to run 3000 watts of stuff on one 120 volt leg and things might not go well, especially on the cheaper generators that use a single lever two-pole common trip breaker that is carrying both legs.  It won't trip because it isn't seeing anywhere near the total amperage needed to trip it, even though half the windings are VERY overloaded.  Seen many a cheap set with the magic smoke released because of this.

This is why for small sets, IMHO dual voltage operation is dumb.  120V only is the way to go.  Full capacity available on any plug.

Also keep in mind that the oil capacity on these small units is accordingly small.  Like maybe a quart or so.  During 24/7 operation you should be changing the oil DAILY.  Stockpile oil accordingly to go with your fuel supply.  Use full synthetic oil if you expect to be pulling the starter rope in below freezing temperatures.  Cheap oil turns to peanut butter and makes pulling the starter very stiff, while at the same time extreme cold makes plastic parts in the starter brittle.  You might not be able to turn the engine over fast enough for it to fire, or might break the starter if you try hard enough.  Don't cheap out over the cost of a hamburger's difference in that quart of oil that goes in it.  Get the good stuff (Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc).
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep, no question you have to keep the gas engines maintained, just like lawn mowers, tractors, etc. The best I can do is to always turn off the gas petcock when I'm done with it and let it run dry.

I think you can convert gas generators to propane without too much trouble or expense. I wonder how propane stacks up against gasoline in terms of run time? In other words, I wonder how long my generator would run on a 20lb tank, compared to a tank of gas?
View Quote

Fuel consumption in gallons will be similar to gasoline.  However, the generator must be de-rated about 15% when running on propane.  Worth it though.  Propane is SOO much easier than gasoline.  All my spark ignited generators but one are propane.  They just work.  Every time.  Conversion kits are easy to install and not very expensive.

https://centuryfuelproducts.com/generators/conversion-kits/
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For smaller generators (under 5kW), I think it is good to have a 120V only setup.  The problem with 120/240 generators is the windings being divided for dual voltage.  In other words, to obtain 240 volt operation, you have two sets of 120 volt windings.  Each set of windings can carry half of the total rated wattage.  If you have a 3500 watt generator, this means each 120 volt leg can handle 1750 watts.  Plug in your Keurig or a fridge/freezer and that one leg is maxed out.  This is a problem when people run a single extension cord into the house and then try and plug everything into a powerstrip.  Try to run 3000 watts of stuff on one 120 volt leg and things might not go well, especially on the cheaper generators that use a single lever two-pole common trip breaker that is carrying both legs.  It won't trip because it isn't seeing anywhere near the total amperage needed to trip it, even though half the windings are VERY overloaded.  Seen many a cheap set with the magic smoke released because of this.

This is why for small sets, IMHO dual voltage operation is dumb.  120V only is the way to go.  Full capacity available on any plug.

Also keep in mind that the oil capacity on these small units is accordingly small.  Like maybe a quart or so.  During 24/7 operation you should be changing the oil DAILY.  Stockpile oil accordingly to go with your fuel supply.  Use full synthetic oil if you expect to be pulling the starter rope in below freezing temperatures.  Cheap oil turns to peanut butter and makes pulling the starter very stiff, while at the same time extreme cold makes plastic parts in the starter brittle.  You might not be able to turn the engine over fast enough for it to fire, or might break the starter if you try hard enough.  Don't cheap out over the cost of a hamburger's difference in that quart of oil that goes in it.  Get the good stuff (Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc).
View Quote

I'm not vert savvy with this stuff. Another poster said my generator runs everything off one winding, and it doesn't offer a 240v source, so this isn't a concern for mine, is it?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm not vert savvy with this stuff. Another poster said my generator runs everything off one winding, and it doesn't offer a 240v source, so this isn't a concern for mine, is it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Correct.   You can use all 30 amps without regard to "which leg" needs it.   Your generator only has one leg.  

Quoted:

Wouldn't the adapter I posted do the same thing?

The 30 amp outlet will provide 30 amps if you aren't drawing on your other outlet.   Your adapter is rated for 15 amps but there isn't anything stopping you from pulling 30 amps through it.   So you could melt the outlet, adapter, and the cord attached to it if you use it for more power than it is intended.   http://www.weimannelectric.com/id12.html

You could still do that with the cord that I listed but it would melt the end of the cord and not the generator components.   Also I see value in getting the 30 amps closer to the house before you break off the wires and run them to where ever they need to go.  

An even better solution would be a cord sized and fused to only allow the amount of power that it is designed for.   So a fifteen amp version of this might be useful in conjunction with the adapter that you have.   https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-WORKS-Add-On-Breaker-1-5-ft-20-Amp-5-20-Outlet-Extender-with-20-Amp-Breaker-S520CB520/311382822   That is if you are really wanting to get 30 amps from this generator.  

I hope that helps.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Correct.   You can use all 30 amps without regard to "which leg" needs it.   Your generator only has one leg.  

The 30 amp outlet will provide 30 amps if you aren't drawing on your other outlet.   Your adapter is rated for 15 amps but there isn't anything stopping you from pulling 30 amps through it.   So you could melt the outlet, adapter, and the cord attached to it if you use it for more power than it is intended.   http://www.weimannelectric.com/id12.html

You could still do that with the cord that I listed but it would melt the end of the cord and not the generator components.   Also I see value in getting the 30 amps closer to the house before you break off the wires and run them to where ever they need to go.

An even better solution would be a cord sized and fused to only allow the amount of power that it is designed for.   So a fifteen amp version of this might be useful in conjunction with the adapter that you have.   https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-WORKS-Add-On-Breaker-1-5-ft-20-Amp-5-20-Outlet-Extender-with-20-Amp-Breaker-S520CB520/311382822   That is if you are really wanting to get 30 amps from this generator.  

I hope that helps.  

View Quote

Good point. That adapter will self-destruct if I try to pull too many amps. I was just thinking in terms of getting the most out of the generator.

The cord with the breaker is also a good idea. This one has the wrong connector for my generator, but they probably have one with the right one.

Very helpful. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Again showing my ignorance, is it correct to say this generator has a TOTAL output of 30A?

Or do I have 30A from each of the "RV" outlets and 20A from the household outlets?

Attachment Attached File

@2Hut8

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Total output of 30 amps.

Outlets , left to right
         30 A max
         30 A max
         20 A max, total of both "household" sockets
or a combination of loads on any two, or all three sections not to exceed 30 A total
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Mountaineer_Shootist is correct.    Your generator has a single wire that feeds through a 30 amp breaker.   From that breaker it connects to both of your 30 amp outlets.   Then it goes to a 20 amp breaker and then to the 20 amp outlet.   So any power pulled from your generator will pull through the 30 amp breaker.    Attempts to pull more than 30 amps (sustained) will trip the breaker.  

Now not to confuse the issue but your generator is capable of providing 38 amps for a moment but only for a moment.   That is the surge rating.   When motors start they draw more power than they draw when running.   This is referred to as the “inrush current”.   Generators are designed to handle these surges.   Depending on the device, you may have a device that the generator SHOULD run but cannot because its inrush current exceeds the surge rating of your generator.   Breakers don’t trip for a reasonable surge rating because breakers typically work off of heat.   A momentary, reasonable surge won’t heat the breaker enough to trip it.   But if you have been running the generator near its capacity then the breaker will be warmer and the additional heat generated by the inrush of a device might be enough to push it over the edge and trip the breaker.  

The best way to figure out what your generator can do is to try it.   See what works and what doesn’t.   A few months back I did a post where I went around and ran a bunch of appliances off of a 2KW generator running propane.   It handled just about everything that I threw at it.   For the record, I only ran one appliance at a time so that I could measure how much power it was drawing.   Most of the appliances drew a fraction of the power that their specifications said that they would draw.   I believe that the inrush current of the appliances is factored into their specifications.    So if everything started at once then the 2KW wouldn’t handle it. Pick a day and play around with it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

A gallon of gasoline contains approx. 1.14 therms of energy.  A gallon of propane, .915 therms.  A full 20 lb. propane tank holds 4.7 gal. of fuel.  This equates to a full propane tank being the energy equivalent to about 3.75 gal. of gasoline or so.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Total output of 30 amps.

Outlets , left to right
         30 A max
         30 A max
         20 A max, total of both "household" sockets
or a combination of loads on any two, or all three sections not to exceed 30 A total
View Quote

That's what I thought. Just wanted some confirmation. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Mountaineer_Shootist is correct.    Your generator has a single wire that feeds through a 30 amp breaker.   From that breaker it connects to both of your 30 amp outlets.   Then it goes to a 20 amp breaker and then to the 20 amp outlet.   So any power pulled from your generator will pull through the 30 amp breaker.    Attempts to pull more than 30 amps (sustained) will trip the breaker.  

Now not to confuse the issue but your generator is capable of providing 38 amps for a moment but only for a moment.   That is the surge rating.   When motors start they draw more power than they draw when running.   This is referred to as the "inrush current".   Generators are designed to handle these surges.   Depending on the device, you may have a device that the generator SHOULD run but cannot because its inrush current exceeds the surge rating of your generator.   Breakers don't trip for a reasonable surge rating because breakers typically work off of heat.   A momentary, reasonable surge won't heat the breaker enough to trip it.   But if you have been running the generator near its capacity then the breaker will be warmer and the additional heat generated by the inrush of a device might be enough to push it over the edge and trip the breaker.  

The best way to figure out what your generator can do is to try it.   See what works and what doesn't.   A few months back I did a post where I went around and ran a bunch of appliances off of a 2KW generator running propane.   It handled just about everything that I threw at it.   For the record, I only ran one appliance at a time so that I could measure how much power it was drawing.   Most of the appliances drew a fraction of the power that their specifications said that they would draw.   I believe that the inrush current of the appliances is factored into their specifications.    So if everything started at once then the 2KW wouldn't handle it. Pick a day and play around with it.
View Quote

Okay, that makes it much clearer. This is my first generator, and while I can deal with household wiring and electricity needs without dying, I just needed some clarification on how these things work. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A gallon of gasoline contains approx. 1.14 therms of energy.  A gallon of propane, .915 therms.  A full 20 lb. propane tank holds 4.7 gal. of fuel.  This equates to a full propane tank being the energy equivalent to about 3.75 gal. of gasoline or so.  

View Quote

That explains why people say to downrate output about 15% for propane. Assuming about the same "mileage" for propane as gas, I see how a tank of propane is about the equivalent of 5 gallons of gas ... just with lower energy output.

Lots of good info here. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That explains why people say to downrate output about 15% for propane. Assuming about the same "mileage" for propane as gas, I see how a tank of propane is about the equivalent of 5 gallons of gas ... just with lower energy output.

Lots of good info here. Thanks.
View Quote

Yes and no.  The per gallon output is lower, but the running output can be very similar.  I get over 2900 watts out of my Predator 3500 on natural gas, and it is rated for 3000 watts continuous.  I have documented this with the panel meter and a Kil-A-Watt meter and posted pics in the big genny thread.  I have run my house for over 20 hours straight on natgas without a hiccup and no refueling of course.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#33]
My experience is similar to dravier’s.   I haven’t noticed any degradation in output running propane.   But one thing that I cannot tell you is whether or not I am pushing the engine harder on propane to maintain similar wattage levels.   When they rate the generator’s capacity, what do they use?   The engine capacity?   The wiring capacity?   The weaker of the two?   Using the OP’s generator as an example, it is rated for 3600 watts but can surge to 4230 (if I recall correctly).    So the engine can get there, but how long can it keep it there?    The wiring shouldn’t be an issue if he doesn’t exceed 3600 watts.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I began my alt. fuel trials with 1/4" quick connect couplers and was very disappointed with the output I was getting.  I switched to 3/8" pressure washer QC fittings and that made all the difference.  They have no internal valving, so a straight through 3/8" pipe with 3/8" hose delivered enough fuel to develop full power.  I have run up to 18 feet of 3/8" hose with no loss of power.  I don't even get an overload flicker at 3Kw max loads on the panel.  

Every fitting needs to be 3/8" though, so I cut the fittings off the pre-built hoses and used 3/8" barbed ones.  The carb device that feeds the fuel also has a 3/8" barb input so that was my clue about cross section for gaseous fuels.

I am also a little confused about why gen. makers downgrade from gasoline max outputs when quoting propane power.  I currently have an AiPower SUA 2000iD as my parallel generator and it will deliver 1600 watts on propane, although they drop it down to 1500W from 1600 on the spec sheet.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If there's a dedicated generator subforum or thread, I haven't found it, so I'll just post here.

I've considered buying a gasoline genny as a backup power source for years. Nothing elaborate, just something to power the two fridges, a few lights and maybe a TV and a fan or two (or heater in the winter).

I almost bought a $429 HF 4000W Predator, but stumbled on the Westinghouse WGen 3600v 4650/3600 Watt at Home Depot for only $299 (delivered to my house) and couldn't resist.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is it has only 2 120v household outlets, but I can just hook up a power strip and expand that, as long as I don't exceed the amperage. It does also have a 120v "RV" outlet, but that will require a pricey adapter cable. But it's still an option. And it has a nice large gas tank and enough hp for my needs.

For $299 I know it's not a premium unit, but lots of generators in this power range all look suspiciously identical except for paint job and label, and I figger they're all made by the same robots.

Anyone have any experience with this genny? Did I screw the pooch, or did I kill a fatted calf?

View Quote
What part of the state are you in?  I have a some RV plugs you can have.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#36]
The only thing I'd be concerned about is running electronic gear like a TV on a non-inverter generator.
The sine wave output on yours is probably pretty messy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The only thing I'd be concerned about is running electronic gear like a TV on a non-inverter generator.
The sine wave output on yours is probably pretty messy.
View Quote

Although this might be an issue, I did it for years with a Chicago Electric generator that I bought from Harbor Freight and pushed way too hard.   I never noticed any issues.   None of my more expensive electronics (multiple computer, laptops, LCD TV's,  sound systems, alarm system, tablet /phone chargers, microwaves) ever seemed to have a shortened life expectancy.   Washer, dryer, fridge, freezers didn't seemed bothered by it either.   One freezer ran for twelve years before we gave it away.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What part of the state are you in?  I have a some RV plugs you can have.
View Quote

I'm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. But I now realize I can use cheap adapters if needed, and I got one that converts the RV outlet to household (see above). The goal there was to get the full 30A output instead of the existing outlets that are throttled down to 20A.

But I appreciate the offer.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Although this might be an issue, I did it for years with a Chicago Electric generator that I bought from Harbor Freight and pushed way too hard.   I never noticed any issues.   None of my more expensive electronics (multiple computer, laptops, LCD TV's,  sound systems, alarm system, tablet /phone chargers, microwaves) ever seemed to have a shortened life expectancy.   Washer, dryer, fridge, freezers didn't seemed bothered by it either.   One freezer ran for twelve years before we gave it away.
View Quote

Nice to hear.  But I trust my Hondas not to give me any problems in that area.  What's funny is that I never run my TV during an outage.  They're just used for a few lights, fridges/freezers and my well pump.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Lol, people are so stupid.  I watched two different review vids on YT where the dudes pulled out the spark plug wrench, looked at it and couldn't figure out what it was. One of them called it "some kind of hex thing" and the other guy just said "I don't know what this thing is for".

Jeebus, we've gotten to the point that people don't even know what a spark plug wrench is and what it's for.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Just in case anyone else might be looking at this generator, here's a few comments:

1. The generator is well-made and nicely-finished. It wasn't just slammed together in some sweat shop somewhere. Screws and nuts are tight, panels are in place and straight, the paint is flawless and shiny, and everything is like it should be.

2. The wheel kit isn't included, but the brackets for the wheels are there, so with a little ingenuity you can maybe McGuiver something up instead of spending 40 bucks for the kit. At least for now, mine is sitting on a HF furniture dolly. I've used some big zip ties to help it stay on there, but I'll probably do something more permanent. Maybe even buy some cheap lawn mower wheels at HF and rig up some axles and a pull handle.

3. The generator comes with a bottle of oil (nice touch), a funnel that actually screws into the oil filler hole (another nice touch), and a spark plug wrench. So all you need is some gas.

4. Mine fired right up and ran good. I test-plugged a pedestal fan into the sockets to make sure everything was wired in, and it all worked well.

5. It actually runs quieter than I expected. I didn't do a sound test, but it wasn't objectionable at all. Not Honda 2000 quiet, but not bad at all. When (if) I need to run it, I'll park it next to a brick perimeter wall and then stand some plywood up around it to funnel the sound upwards. I've seen some YT videos where this works well.

6. I have an adapter plug that converts the TT-30R socket on the generator to a regular household 3-prong outlet. That way, I have 3 direct household outlets right at the generator. That adapter cost about 4 bucks.

7. I have a substantial chain and heavy-duty lock, and in the event of a power failure I'll secure the generator to a tree. I've heard of generators walking off in times of need, so keep that in mind.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I guess no one's on this thread any more, but I'll still say that I'm really happy with my generator. I've run some things as tests, using a meter, and it's doing great. I ran a pedestal fan, a 1500W heat gun, and my 100psi pancake compressor (not all at once), and they ran without the genny breaking a sweat. Voltage, wattage and amperage all read like they should, from all outlets (I ran the 30A RV outlet through a plug-type adapter that reduced it to 120v 15A, and it worked perfectly.

I'm toying with the idea of buying one of those $135 5,000BTU window A/Cs at Walmart to have as an emergency 'room A/C' in case of power outage in the heat of summer. I could drop it in a window in the master bedroom and close the doors and at least sleep in some comfort. I keep telling myself that I might never use it, but there's always the chance, right?

Also, taking a cue from something I saw on the interwebs a while back, I propped a sheet of heavy cardboard against the side of the genny and took a measurement, and just that small thing reduced the sound level by a full 5dB, from 72 to 67 (at 6'). May not sound like much, but it made quite a difference. It won't avoid drawing attention to the generator in the event of an outage, but it will help.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I am still here.   Been reading the additional posts but haven’t had much to contribute.   I am glad that the new generator is working well.    As I said before, take care of it and it should last a long time.      The most important details that I can recommend are: 1) don’t store it with gas in it.   2) change the oil regularly.   3)  don’t over load it.   4) keep the rodents and pests out of it.   Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Still here as well. I have about 55 gallons of stored gasoline and I am converting to a propane only set up. Will probably pair down to about 20 gallons gasoline and increased number of propane tanks which is easier to keep the gasoline rotated. My non dual fuel generator will be in reserve only status since it is just to noisy to run compared to my inverter generator. The size you have is great, but the noise can be problematic for some. I do the window unit trick for emergency ac. For the rv plug besides using it for my travel trailer, I bought a three cord splitter that uses the entire wattage and extension cord to three separate plugs. Figured it would be easier to manually plug in loads. Still have not invested in a transfer switch or interlock kit due to budget. However my set up is just fine to run the essentials in my house including heating and cooling. A nice to have would be to have a natural gas hook up for it.  This is my newest generator. I bought it based on both useful size and fuel efficiency. 21-22 hours on a propane tank at 25 percent load. (Ac window unit and fridge)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08L9R5YC5?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Still here as well. I have about 55 gallons of stored gasoline and I am converting to a propane only set up. Will probably pair down to about 20 gallons gasoline and increased number of propane tanks which is easier to keep the gasoline rotated. My non dual fuel generator will be in reserve only status since it is just to noisy to run compared to my inverter generator. The size you have is great, but the noise can be problematic for some. I do the window unit trick for emergency ac. For the rv plug besides using it for my travel trailer, I bought a three cord splitter that uses the entire wattage and extension cord to three separate plugs. Figured it would be easier to manually plug in loads. Still have not invested in a transfer switch or interlock kit due to budget. However my set up is just fine to run the essentials in my house including heating and cooling. A nice to have would be to have a natural gas hook up for it.  This is my newest generator. I bought it based on both useful size and fuel efficiency. 21-22 hours on a propane tank at 25 percent load. (Ac window unit and fridge)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08L9R5YC5?psc=1&;ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
View Quote

Wowz. Been busy and haven't been back to this thread. I appreciate the ideas and suggestions.

I did go ahead and buy the little window A/C unit. I can at least throw it in the master bedroom window in case of an extended outage in hot weather and we can sleep in some degree of comfort. I also bought some heavy duty chains so I can lash the generator to a tree in my back yard. A solar-powered LED floodlight will come on if anyone tries to F with it during the night. It should at least startle them enough to slow them down.

I also have plenty of 25 and 50ft extensions cords, and the RV outlet adapter will let me suck power off both of the generator's household outlets and the RV outlet. We have two vehicles that are both kept at least half-tank, and I can siphon if needed.

Like you, I'm primarily interested in running the fridges, A/C and maybe some TV if it's not too much load. We can cook using the gas range, a Coleman stove, or my gas grill, as needed, and we have a decent supply of canned and frozen food, as well as water and soft drinks.

I'm certainly not all prepped out or anything, but I think we can limp along in reasonable comfort until power is restored.

BTW, that's a nice generator, but I can't justify that much dough. lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top