Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2017 12:51:43 PM EDT
I have had my DO/Titan Rod tube setup for about a year now and its been great.

Stop at the stream unlock and your on the water.

In talking with a fly shop we got on the topic of them and he said he has heard they wear on the rods because they bounce in the tubes(even though they are sleeved in "medical grade nylon"

Ive never seen damage to mine but it does make me nervous given I have 2 Scott rods in it at all times.

I also drive 60K a year or so with them loaded so Im sure constant vibration and or banging around might not be so good.

I do fish nearly everywhere though and frequently so I dont want to leave them out.

Comparatively the Big Sky Rod Box is a top opening cabinet style box with foam slots that keep the rod firmly in place.

not as convenient to get them out on a lifted truck but should be overall more secure as well

Any takes on these?  Not much online regarding rod damage.  I think the titan vaults are out there on a 10:1 basis by comparison. They seem to have been around longer and are more popular(also cheaper)
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the big sky for a while. Rods were secure from damage but it is would be easy for someone to break into the box if they wanted to.  Same as most anything someone wants to break into.  My box supposedly had a poor powdercoat and rusted bad.  They replaced it but I did not feel like putting it on my new vehicle so I sold it along with my one piece rods.  I think it is the best box as far as design goes.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 12:28:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Many, if not most, of the fishing places I go entail a certain amount of travel on dirt washboard rods to get to the water.  I came very close to buying the
Titan rod vault but the owner of my local flyshop actually had his entire rack fall off while fishing up at The Mile several years ago.  Loc-tite prevented a repeat of that performance but the rods themselves get a lot of action inside the tube during transport, no different than fly rods on skiffs in saltwater when this hit choppy water - rods get RATTLED!!

Because a given day for me may involve a 3wt if the dries start going, a 5wt for meat/potatoes, 7/8wt for carp, then maybe a 6wt with sinking line mid afternoon when the fish are deep, I realize I'm going to be doing some rerigging throughout the day.  Knowing that ferrules do age from use, I opted to forego a rod rack altogether except for the magnet on hood variety just to get me a mile up the river.

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Honestly one of the biggest deciding factor when I buy a vehicle is being able to toss rod inside and transport. I can easily do a 9ft rod, and a 11' 3" switch for short hops.

Its spoiled me. when I get to the river I want to go fishing not spend 5-10 minutes assembling rod, add on reel, stringing up line and tying on fly.
I toss my rod right in the back of my car when done and its there ready to roll next time I go fishing. Its as secure as possible in side locked car. And safe from damage

Looked at doing the storage thing and I don't like any of them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Ended up with the big sky rod box. Other than requiring me to hop up on my tire or tailgate it is superior in every way.

I see Yakima came out with one too. Interesting to see a mainstream company’s take on it
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been looking a bit too, another one I'm thinking about besides the Big Sky - is the Ultimate Rod Case.  I wish some shop around me had some to check out, I don't want to drop $200 on shipping for something that I haven't seen in person.
Which model did you end up going with?
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been looking a bit too, another one I'm thinking about besides the Big Sky - is the Ultimate Rod Case.  I wish some shop around me had some to check out, I don't want to drop $200 on shipping for something that I haven't seen in person.
Which model did you end up going with?
View Quote
The 6 pack. It’s very rigid and well made. Rods ride 24/7 and have yet to show any marks unlike the previous Denver outfitters setup that beat the hell out of my rods just pounding pavement.

Had it put on when I was in Bozeman at their shop. Owner was nice guy and did it really quick.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I just sold my Riversmith RiverQuiver rooftop rod carrier.  IF, I was going to put another rod carrier on the roof it would be the Yakima version but I'm just not willing to rattle my rods to death on the roof anymore.  I've switched almost entirely to Loomis Asquith rods and at $1,200ea (before to local 10% sales tax), I'd prefer to disassemble them and baby the ferrules a bit.  Most of the roads I use to get to my fishing spots are unpaved and rough, it got to the point that I had the rod carrier on the roof but never used it so off to Craigslist it went.  YMMV
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just sold my Riversmith RiverQuiver rooftop rod carrier.  IF, I was going to put another rod carrier on the roof it would be the Yakima version but I'm just not willing to rattle my rods to death on the roof anymore.  I've switched almost entirely to Loomis Asquith rods and at $1,200ea (before to local 10% sales tax), I'd prefer to disassemble them and baby the ferrules a bit.  Most of the roads I use to get to my fishing spots are unpaved and rough, it got to the point that I had the rod carrier on the roof but never used it so off to Craigslist it went.  YMMV
View Quote

I think any rod tube design will kick the crap out of the rods. Its just the nature of the design.  

My Scott rods are carried 365 days a year in by big sky rod box and zero issues with scuffs. The foam keeps them from flopping all over. Not quite as convenient accessing them from the top vs back but its nothing to hop on the bumper and grab one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top