Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2022 1:37:19 AM EDT
Normally, I use either pork fat trimmings or beef suet for my grind.

Now, I also like ham a lot and wondered if anyone had tried using ham trimmings for their venison grinds?  Not sure what the flavor would be like, have done it with excess bacon fat before, that was pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 3:15:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I never add anything I go straight to Chili

With Beans & Corn
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 3:39:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 6:12:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bucket-Back:
The only time fat is needed in venison is when burning a burger on the BBQ. It goes in straight into chili, spaghetti, tacos, burritos etc..
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 6:28:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
Normally, I use either pork fat trimmings or beef suet for my grind.

Now, I also like ham a lot and wondered if anyone had tried using ham trimmings for their venison grinds?  Not sure what the flavor would be like, have done it with excess bacon fat before, that was pretty good.
View Quote

I’ve used pork. I like Brisket trimmings better. The pork is OK for sausage, but doesn’t do it for the burger.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:I like Brisket trimmings better.
View Quote

I buy cheap brisket cuts and dry age them. The pellicle is used for beef stock. The fat makes tallow and the softer meat goes into burgers.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#6]
We turn most of ours into burger.  I do at least an 80/20 mix.  I don't mind the pork, since I buy lots of pork butt when I find it on sale and turn lots of it into burger or Italian sausage.

Was mainly curious about the flavor profile.  We will make burgers out of venison grind or use it in chili or other meals.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I use venison burger for jerky and michigan sauce so I don't add anything to it.

We did make venison bacon one time and it called for a 50/50 mix of venison burger and pork butt.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#8]
For convenience I’ll use packaged bacon that is NOT lean as a fat additive when grinding small batches of venison and such……
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Never tried with ham, but it would probably be good.  The best venison burgers I've ever had have always been the ones we made with the leftover meat after stuffing sausage.  The sausage goes in the smokehouse and what's left (already mixed 2/3 venison, 1/3 pork and seasoned) gets pattied and grilled.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 12:32:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM] [#10]
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
I never add anything I go straight to Chili

With Beans & Corn
View Quote

If you like it, not going to talk you out of it...There are many, many, many other ways to enjoy your ground though.

I used to grind up the front quarters until I found a recipe for slow cooking the front shoulder, bone-in, with all fascia/tendon/ligaments attached. It is unbelievable. The tendons turn into a gelatinous butter and it is good for you, so no downside. If you really enjoy venison, it is really worth it to see what's out there for recipes. Things have changed in the kitchen with game.

OP, ham would probably be fine. I use beef fat, pork fat/shoulder and this year did pork fat/bacon/venison and the burgers are unbelievable. I don't think you can go wrong as long as your fat content is good in the mix.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't think I have ever added anything to it.  I eat venison to eat venison, not a combo of venison and pork....

I make burgers quite frequently with straight venison.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't add anything to it. I prefer to eat healthy and venison without fat is the healthiest.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By stillcrazy:
I don't add anything to it. I prefer to eat healthy and venison without fat is the healthiest.
View Quote

Yeah, but fats not as unhealthy as they taught you in grade school.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:16:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#15]
I make a lot of sausage with deer meat, but I also use ground deer meat in a lot of places where I’d usually use ground beef.  If you cook it to death it can be like cardboard, but otherwise it’s no big deal.  I prefer using pork fat when making sausage (I like 70/30 deer meat to fat), but sometimes go 50/50 with pork belly.

If you’re grilling burgers, mix it with ground pork belly or just ground pork fat if you can get it.  I like 1/3 pork belly or about 20% for straight fat.

I mixed it with beef fat for sausage, but didn’t like it as much as pork fat.

Straight up ground deer meat fideo is a favorite with my boys.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#16]
If I’m serving burgers to the “I don’t eat Bambi” crowd I do the old Lipton onion burger thing. The Mayonnaise adds plenty of fat.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm weird...never added anything to ground venison and never had an issue with it.  Just cook it in some fat in a cast iron pan (I don't grill burgers that often).
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Beef Steak trimmings, and for Elk
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Beef is for burgers.  

Venison gets canned.  No need for grinding or freezer space.  Try it, it's great.  Cheaper, easier, less work, keeps for years, can be eaten without being heated again, tastes great in everything.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 3:23:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I never add anything to it. Key is to put meat in a strainer for couple days in refrigerator to drain blood out of it. Then it tastes great when you cook it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top