Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2020 7:42:33 AM EDT
Good Morning...I need some advice for a first deer/hog rifle for my son who will turn 10 next month.  He's a slight lad of about 60lbs.

I hunt with .308...AR's and bolt guns, but I want to start him out on 5.56/.223.  I have many AR's in many calibers, but I want to start him on a youth sized bolt action .223.

I'm looking for recommendations for a youth .556 bolt gun please...

5.56 chambered recommendations only please because...I have a mountain of cheap steal cased 5.56 that I want him to practice with/shoot pigs with until this next deer season.
Where I am in NE Texas, the deer are small and a proper .223 bullet will be plenty.  I'm not interested in hearing that .223 is not  enough gun.  It makes sense for my son at this time.  He'll be given
"bigger guns" as he gets bigger.  I do not want him hunting with a semi-auto at this point, even though I can load 1 round at a time...

Thank you everybody!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Howa mini 1500
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you looking for 5.56 or . 223? You mention both interchangeably.

While not a big deal for function in the gun if you're shooting 5.56 out of a dedicated . 223 bolt gun you may see accuracy issues which could be frustrating to a new shooter.

I have a Ruger American Compact all weather stainless in .223 that is perfect for my small statured wife and that I'll start my boys out with when they get older. They no longer make the model I have, but if you keep an eye out there are a few on gun broker from time to time.

Ruger does make a ranch rifle in 5.56 that takes AR pattern mags that I'm really tempted to get.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#3]
MOSS MVP PATROL

It takes AR mags also...
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#4]
.223 is enough for deer, but I’d look into a CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel. Practice will pay dividends in the long run for him, and $5/box steel case is fine for that. With premium ammo you have better bullet weights and a decent selection of ammo, and past 150-200 yds Grendel is going to do better than .223 when it comes to terminal ballistics. Still super low recoil.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.223 is enough for deer, but I’d look into a CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel. Practice will pay dividends in the long run for him, and $5/box steel case is fine for that. With premium ammo you have better bullet weights and a decent selection of ammo, and past 150-200 yds Grendel is going to do better than .223 when it comes to terminal ballistics. Still super low recoil.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/72B2F0AB-BD61-4778-8695-4449C02284D9_jpe-1285025.JPG
View Quote
QFT
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#6]
https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/26965.htmlhttps://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/26965.html

I liked these Ruger American series alot.

They have a "Compact" model that has an inch shorter LOP but I don't think they chamber it in 5.56. But the standard size LOP isn't exactly massive. How tall is your boy? Does he need a "youth size" or no?

What's your budget?

Also the steel case ammo you have stocked up is .223 or 5.56? Most of he imported steel case ammo is .223 is why I ask.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Thompson Center Compass.

Been running $269 on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Specifically chambered in 5.56. Threaded barrel, lightweight synthetic stock, guaranteed 1 MOA accuracy.

My brother bought 3. One for him and one for both of his boys.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#8]
My 5 yo got his first deer off my lap in a blind last fall using a suppressed 5.56 Ruger American.  Can't go wrong for $400.  Great rifle.  It's become the whole family's go to plinkster and has put several deer in the freezer now (55gr Federal soft point btw - they drop like they've been hit with 150gr corelokt from my 30.06 Rem700).  My only regret is that I got one of the first ones with the proprietary mags.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

While not a big deal for function in the gun if you're shooting 5.56 out of a dedicated . 223 bolt gun you may see accuracy issues which could be frustrating to a new shooter.

I have a Ruger American Compact all weather stainless in .223 that is perfect for my small statured wife and that I'll start my boys out with when they get older. They no longer make the model I have, but if you keep an eye out there are a few on gun broker from time to time.

Ruger does make a ranch rifle in 5.56 that takes AR pattern mags that I'm really tempted to get.
View Quote
Thank you.  I'm wanting a 5.56 chamber so that I can shoot both 5.56 and .223. I'll definitely have a look at that Ruger!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:18:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/72B2F0AB-BD61-4778-8695-4449C02284D9_jpe-1285025.JPG
View Quote
Thank you.  I agree this would be a superior caliber for the application.  However, I have enough 5.56 and .223 to last both of our lifetimes...regardless of what happens to the ammo market.  I'm really not interested in another caliber.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:23:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/26965.htmlhttps://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/26965.html

I liked these Ruger American series alot.

They have a "Compact" model that has an inch shorter LOP but I don't think they chamber it in 5.56. But the standard size LOP isn't exactly massive. How tall is your boy? Does he need a "youth size" or no?

What's your budget?

Also the steel case ammo you have stocked up is .223 or 5.56? Most of he imported steel case ammo is .223 is why I ask.
View Quote
My boy is relatively small...likely destined to be a manlet like his father.  

My budget is whatever it needs to be, but this is just his second of many firearms.  I need him to be able to put rounds inside a 4" circle at 100 yards.

And holey crap...you're absolutely right and I can't believe my mis-impression of my own ammo stash.  Yes, most of the steel cased stuff is in fact .223.  I'm not sure why my brain thought otherwise.  I also have an awful lot of brass 5.56 though too.  I still think I'd prefer the 5.56 chamber so that he can shoot any of it from now on.  Thank you for this realization!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thompson Center Compass.

Been running $269 on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Specifically chambered in 5.56. Threaded barrel, lightweight synthetic stock, guaranteed 1 MOA accuracy.

My brother bought 3. One for him and one for both of his boys.
View Quote
This one was not on my radar, but it's very interesting.  Definitely on the list for consideration.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you to all for the input.  I'm working today, so hopefully after church tomorrow I can do some research based on your recommendations and get it nailed down.

Love this community...thank you again!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#14]
My 10 y/o hunted deer for 1st time, average-to-tall build. Couldn't find a bolt gun that fit properly, even with compact stocks. First thought was TC Compass with low recoil .308, but stock way too long. Then tried a cut down .357 lever gun, which he didn't like. Then just went with AR-15 like dad uses, with fully-collapsed stock.

He complained that mine had 10 rounds and his was only loaded with 3. I said life wasn't fair and if he missed 3 times he needed to calm down and I'd shoot the deer.

He got his first deer with 2 rounds.  :)

Edit: nubbin buck, Federal Fusion .223 rounds. Practiced before season with .22 conversion in his own rifle, followed by .223 ammo, for same reasons OP mentioned.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My 10 y/o hunted deer for 1st time, average-to-tall build. Couldn't find a bolt gun that fit properly, even with compact stocks. First thought was TC Compass with low recoil .308, but stock way too long. Then tried a cut down .357 lever gun, which he didn't like. Then just went with AR-15 like dad uses, with fully-collapsed stock.

He complained that mine had 10 rounds and his was only loaded with 3. I said life wasn't fair and if he missed 3 times he needed to calm down and I'd shoot the deer.

He got his first deer with 2 rounds.  :)

Edit: nubbin buck, Federal Fusion .223 rounds. Practiced before season with .22 conversion in his own rifle, followed by .223 ammo, for same reasons OP mentioned.
View Quote
I'd also add OP. I get not wanting a semi auto for him at the moment. Another option is a nice light at build with a gas block you can turn off
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thank you.  I agree this would be a superior caliber for the application.  However, I have enough 5.56 and .223 to last both of our lifetimes...regardless of what happens to the ammo market.  I'm really not interested in another caliber.
View Quote
In that case, whats the budget?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Not judging, but I started my boys with an AR in 6.8 as a hunting rifle. Hunting as far north as San Angelo and East and Central Texas it was perfect for them, deer and pigs and with significantly more energy than 5.56 it anchored deer. The low recoil, adjustable stock and easy operation has meant they still use the same rifles.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Well...you all twisted my are to an extent.  I just ordered a PSA lightweight 5.56 rifle kit...4 lbs.  I have an extra Spikes stripped lower and a Vortex scope.  So, with the kit, sling, sling mount and a proper scope mount came in at just over $600.  That will get him into an adjustable length of pull, a light gun, and almost no recoil.

Thank you for all the help guys!
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 11:30:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well...you all twisted my are to an extent.  I just ordered a PSA lightweight 5.56 rifle kit...4 lbs.  I have an extra Spikes stripped lower and a Vortex scope.  So, with the kit, sling, sling mount and a proper scope mount came in at just over $600.  That will get him into an adjustable length of pull, a light gun, and almost no recoil.

Thank you for all the help guys!
View Quote
Just load one round in the mag- instant single shot with the prices of AR's now, it is the easy option.
TC Compass or Ruger American are good too. Had a Marlin XS7 in .308 that was great. I don't think I've had anything other than my AR in the field in a few years.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#21]
If he's a "slight lad", pay close attention to stock length....

If the stock is too long, do NOT play the "he'll grow into it" game.  When stocks are too long, barrel weight and the balance point of the rifle are way out front.  Leverage makes it VERY hard to steady the firearm...  Look for any rifle you can find with an appropriately short stock....

In my case, when my daughter was 11, I bought a Remington Seven in .260 with a youth stock.  Even with the youth stock the fit was not good, as the butt was still too long.  I purchased an additional cheap used beat to death wooden stock on eBay, and chopped it down to an even shorter stock length.  It worked well...

I wouldn't be hung up on make or model.  Find something with the correct stock, or at least stocks cheap enough you can MAKE the correct stock.

How dedicated are you to the 'perfect rifle"?  One option, the Howa 1500 Mini.  Equip it with a chassis stock that takes AR15 collapsable but stocks.  With the press of a button, you've got a choice of six different butt stock lengths...

Fro
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ruger American all the things!  I love my two:  Compact in 7mm-08 and Predator in .223.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Another vote for the Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 5.56

I also suggest looking into this youth hunting program through TPWD & Texas Wildlife association

https://www.tyhp.org/
My son started in it at 12 years old and is now 17. He's hunted all the areas in TX and has harvested whitetails,  a mule deer, javalina,  auodad, hogs, pheasant & turkey.

And he met his current girlfriend in the program

Many of the hunts require a .243 or larger

Hit me up with any questions
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Cant complain about my axis, factory mounted (chinese) weaver 3-9, for about $350 at rural king. It shoots to the quality of ammo you put in it.

Very light and handles well, I really love it for that.

As a typical to above average size man, recoil, even prone, is nearly nonexistent with the gigantic cushy rubber pad. Did a 25cent trigger job and opened up the stock with some sandpaper on a dowel to ensure it's floated.

It comes with a stock spacer installed, but I fear removing it still won't be enough for your kid to comfortably handle, as well as the (IIRC) 22" barrel hanging out there. Maybe if it was cut down an extra stock-spacer length, and barrel shortened to 16-18".

I'd say as it is, the axis might be better for your son when he's 14-16 if you're both small.

Is an AR pistol with the gas shut off an option? Or get a single-shot sled or blocked magazine...

I don't think the american rifles will be much better in the handling department, but I would expect a much better fit/finish and accuracy out of them. My american rimfire is miles ahead of the axis.

My wife is 5'2" 125lbs. She isn't comfortable with anything much bigger than a M4. Usually fits youth model guns perfectly. She finds merit in the sizing of the axis, but would definitely want the spacer removed if dedicated to her. AR pistols fit her perfectly. Gets by with her model 500 20ga youth OK, I think the set-back forend that mossberg puts on the youth guns really helps handling.

Hopefully my ramblings help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top