Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2022 9:07:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
OP the circumstances you described are the reason I don't depend on a freezer. I pressure can.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the current solar gen hotness is the Delta Ecoflow Pro. Be prepared to spend because it's pricey.

There"s also the DIY version, but requires some though. Quite a few posts here as well on YouTube. The important thing to know is how many watts the freezer draws at startup vs how much to run it.

I'm running smaller solar generators to power a fridge to preserve insulin.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Your best bet is to plan to run the generator connected to the freezer(s) every 4-5 hours for 30-1 hour.  That will be enough to allow the compressor to kick on and get the freezers back down to the needed temps.  

If money were no object, then I'd say buy a propane fridge and stock a lot of propane or buy a fridge w/ a 12v compressor and get a good quality solar generator.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I would go the inverter generator route. Propane would be ideal. You will need a lot of batteries, solar panels, inverter and a charge controller to run a freezer long term when accounting cloudy or less ideal sun days. I have a pair of Champion dual fuel inverter style generators which seem to be easier to use. More hand crankss for propane starts. If you think you may need to run your freezer for months on end I would run the numbers on a solar setup with enough reserve to keep you going.

On the upside my Indian neighbors feel a little more at home with a horrible power grid. A few summers ago he slept in his rental car one night a/c going hard  because it was so hot there. America has made him soft.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Chest freezers have pretty low power consumption when running.  I have a midsize unit that pulls approximately 100 watts.  A small solar setup to charge a battery bank and an inverter works just fine for me during power outages.  If you don't have sufficient batteries to run 24/7, just turn the inverter off at night and then start it back up during the day when the sun is charging the bank again.

I do have a generator as a backup if weather conditions are keeping the solar from charging.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Go here and learn.  Boat load of knowledge and reviews, even going so far as to tear batteries apart to find out if they are built worth a shit.     https://youtube.com/c/WillProwse
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Lifepo4 batteries, 1000 watt inverter, solar charge controller… not the cheapest, but it’s a good longer term option.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Still working on mine, but it's gonna be running two freezers, and at least one mini-fridge.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:33:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I just bought 10 of those Sok 100ah batteries.  I also run the victron stuff.  Works great.  

To the OP don’t forget that adding extra insulation around your freezer will probably be the best low cost improvement.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:59:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

To the OP don't forget that adding extra insulation around your freezer will probably be the best low cost improvement.
View Quote
No.

The sides of a chest freezer is what dumps the heat.  You could add a layer of foam to the * top * or a layer of foam to the * bottom * but only in the case of an upright that has the heat exchanger coils on the outside on the back of the unit could you insulate the sides.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nice layout!!
View Quote

Appreciate it!
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I just bought 10 of those Sok 100ah batteries.  I also run the victron stuff.  Works great.  
View Quote

Got any pics of your setup?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I looked into this as well. the pre-made set ups are crazy expensive and I'm not interested in learning how to DIY at the moment, which also wouldn't be cheap.

I'm going with pressure canning and inverter generator. Consolidate to one deep freezer and keep it stuffed, easier to keep cold than make cold. I figure run for an hour or so every few. Have enough gas on hand to do that about a month.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Cheap, fast, and easy is one or two deep cycle batteries from Costco, a decent battery charger, and a pure sine wave inverter sized for running both freezers at once. Run the generator to charge the batteries and run the freezers at the same time, making the generator run time much more efficient and allowing you to run off of battery when the generator is off. This will stretch your available fuel far more than generator only. You mentioned generator without saying what kind, an inverter generator upgrade as mentioned above might be your best first step.

Then you can get a bit of solar and maybe lithium batteries like posted above or you can jump to the end from the start and get some quality lithium cells first. They would be far more efficient in the charge/discharge cycle and can take a much higher amperage when charging so you’d wring out every bit of energy you can out of the generator when it’s running, and the same for solar panels.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top