Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2022 10:47:13 AM EDT
Anyone here have any experience with deep well hand pumps? Trying to decide between a Baker(cast iron) or Bison(stainless steel). 30’ is the static level of my well with 175’ total depth. I figure 100’ feet of drop should be plenty. The well was on my place before I purchased the land and city water was added many years ago.

Just need insight as to which is better overall.

ARKAR
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Why so much drop?  Water level is 30 feet and a hand pump shouldn't have much draw down.  Maybe go 40?  Why is the well so deep?  My well goes down to 100, water table is 10.  Hit clay at 60.  Top 60 is solid casing, bottom 40 is perforated.  In my case, the water out of the clay layer is softer than the surface shit so I use it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in the top of a hill. There is a 400 foot drop off from maybe 100 yards from the well. I suspect that is why the well is the depth it is. I pulled the submersible out of the well and measured it so I know the depth. The old well hadn’t been used in years so the tank and switch was no longer there. I don’t know how fast the well replenishes or the static level during a drought(but need to measure again since we are in somewhat of a drought now). So that’s one reason I wanted to overkill on the depth of the cylinder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top