Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/25/2022 7:11:58 PM EDT
Stihls an Husqvarna are more pricey...any others a decent chainsaw? Craftsmen, max power, etc?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You can get a Stihl farm model reasonably.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Stihl, Husqvarna or echo are all good. Get something 45cc to 63cc as a starter saw
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Stihls an Husqvarna are more pricey...any others a decent chainsaw? Craftsmen, max power, etc?
View Quote
don't get a craftsman, Homelite (if they still make em), or Poulan. Seriously pony up now and thank us later. I've owned or operated plenty of brands through work or at home. Buying the more expensive saw saves you much frustration and likely money. Not sure how many recoil starts I've had to replace on cheap saws. Pull starting shit saws is an adventure too. Pull starting my old poulan counts both as cardio and high rep weight training. Only used for stump work or shit with nails and barbed wire embedded. My husky 450 has been great, and is not unwieldy for a beginner. I would suggest an 18" bar for general use, I prefer 20s. I beat shit out of my Husky and it keeps running, and always starts easy. Stihls are great too, and I've used plenty when I worked in forestry, but I'm a Husqvarna guy
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#5]
What size are you looking for? What are your intentions for it?

A Stihl MS170 16" is $200 brand new.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
What are you planning on cutting?  Firewood or just the occasional large limb in a subdivision?  Even for subdivision work, I would recommend at minimum a low end Husky / Stihl / Echo purchased from a servicing dealer (not a big box).  If you are cutting firewood, I recommend a higher end model of the same brands, 50cc or larger.  Stick with a 16-18” bar unless you are going 55cc+.  

I cut firewood a half dozen weekends a year, and help my old man out a few times a year feeding his saw mill, and I can easily justify the several quality saws I own.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Mostly cutting firewood to proper length for our stove.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:16:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm only a homeowner, with a messy 5 acres of woods to clean up - so limited experience.
My little Stihl MS250 was $300 on sale (few years ago), and is a nice saw.  But, I now wish I had spent $600 for the MS261, the smallest Pro-level saw.  Stihl Pro saws, are worth the extra - for multiple reasons.  Lots of reviews on YT, suggest the MS 261 is a fantastic, small saw.
I have a Stihl dealer close to me, so an easy choice.  Husqvarna saws also have a great reputation, and if my dealer sold Husqvarna - I'm sure I'd be happy.  I would prefer a good dealer, over any particular brand.

Edit to add:  size of saw depends on your tree sizes and how much you cut.  My hardwood trees are mostly a foot and under, so don't really need a bigger saw.  But, I still find my MS250 underpowered.  Light weight, is nice for limbing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#9]
OP....I had a Stihl dealership inside my Ace store for many years. When I retired I stole myself blind with equipment including chainsaws. I finally wore out the little MS170 (took 12 years of HARD cutting) and replaced it with a 180 C EZ start. It works EVERY time I pick it up. It goes with us in the motorhome on trips. It goes in the CanAm around our place. The MS 270 I took when I retired is STILL a beast and starts on the second "burp" EVERY time. The 20" bar let me cut an 80' Oak tree into mush that fell across our drive. I'm 69 and I try and do things the easy way. Stihl helps a LOT. You can by a "plastic" saw for $159 or a REAL saw for $200. Your pick.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm only a homeowner, with a messy 5 acres of woods to clean up - so limited experience.
My little Stihl MS250 was $300 on sale (few years ago), and is a nice saw.  But, I now wish I had spent $600 for the MS261, the smallest Pro-level saw.  Stihl Pro saws, are worth the extra - for multiple reasons.  Lots of reviews on YT, suggest the MS 261 is a fantastic, small saw.
I have a Stihl dealer close to me, so an easy choice.  Husqvarna saws also have a great reputation, and if my dealer sold Husqvarna - I'm sure I'd be happy.  I would prefer a good dealer, over any particular brand.

Edit to add:  size of saw depends on your tree sizes and how much you cut.  My hardwood trees are mostly a foot and under, so don't really need a bigger saw.  But, I still find my MS250 underpowered.  Light weight, is nice for limbing.
View Quote

The 261 is definitely a quality saw.  Mine has done well now for over two years.  

Attachment Attached File

OP:  if you are going to regularly cut firewood size stuff, you need a decent saw.  Farm / Ranch level minimum.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Although a little bigger than what you probably think you need now, the Echo CS-590 is an excellent saw for the money. You can buy a shorter bar if 20” is too long, and they’ll pull a chain on a 24” bar too if you need the reach. I’ve fell, limbed, and bucked several 80’+ oaks on the property and it chews right through them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:12:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Stihl 271 farm boss is what you seek.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't overlook pawn shops, in my area you can find Stihl's and Huskys at entry level prices. I saw a MS 361 for $300 the other day.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I’d probably buy a Stihl MS 170 or Echo CS-310. Both can be found for right around $200.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:46:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you already have cordless tools, like the Milwaukee M18 series? Get an electric chainsaw that uses the same battery.

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#16]
My suggestion would be to save a little and buy the Stihl wood or farm boss. Plenty of power, not too heavy and great machines with an 18" bar.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Way to start a Sunday, coffee and saw thread

As said above already:
Stihl, Echo, and or even Husky (boo), if you shop for saws at big box stores and not a good dealer...well then have fun
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have two Husqvarnas now and so glad I didn’t cheap out many years ago.

Spend the money. You won’t regret it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Way to start a Sunday, coffee and saw thread

As said above already:
Stihl, Echo, and or even Husky (boo), if you shop for saws at big box stores and not a good dealer...well then have fun
View Quote

Amusingly one of my neighbors fired up a saw right at 8 AM and is still going.

OP, keep an eye on who the servicing dealers are.  That MAY affect your purchase.  I can't turn a corner without running into a Husky dealer, but have to go over the river and through the woods to find a Stihl dealer.  Therefore i buy Huskys.

A good do most everything saw would be in the 50cc range.  The Husky 550 XP Mark II is what I grabbed.  I paired it with the 70cc Husky 572XP.

The 550 may be in your price range or a bit higher, but the above mention of the Echo CS 590 is a good one.

It's slightly clunky for a 60cc saw, but they get rave reviews, and it is super affordable brand new.  

Cold link due to arf reformatting:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-20-in-59-8-cc-Gas-2-Stroke-Cycle-Chainsaw-CS-590-20AA/204221580  $419 from HD.  Probably take 10% off that from various discount programs.

If I didn't have the Huskys and was to buy one saw for bucking firewood, it would probably be that one with a 20" bar.  

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Although a little bigger than what you probably think you need now, the Echo CS-590 is an excellent saw for the money. You can buy a shorter bar if 20” is too long, and they’ll pull a chain on a 24” bar too if you need the reach. I’ve fell, limbed, and bucked several 80’+ oaks on the property and it chews right through them.
View Quote

Love my 590.  I also have a small Poulin, and use each depending on what I’m doing.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mostly cutting firewood to proper length for our stove.
View Quote

How much firewood of what kind of trees which are how large in diameter?

I love how everyone has thrown out their ideas without that info
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Got one of those about four years ago for the wife to use in emergencies when I was gone to cut trees off fence our out of the driveway. Amazing saw, does far more than I thought it would and when I’m chipping that’s the saw next to the chipper or riding around clearing trails. Having said that it’s only capable of about four or five cuts on a 8~10” log before it hits its duty cycle.  I think he’d be frustrated between duty cycle and how much spare large capacity batteries cost (I use the large but carry a 4AH as backup/just incase) if he’s trying to process firewood.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I went with a Stihl MS180C for small yard tasks.
Its worth noting that Stihl uses the same identical black caps for both fuel and bar oil.  
I like the easy chain tightener.
Get some spare chains.  Dull chains suck.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Since we are on the topic of chainsaws, I've got the Stihl Farm Boss 290.  Great saw and just keeps on ticking.  My question is about chains.  Anyone have suggestions about replacement chains?  I'm currently cutting up some hickory trees I had taken down but they are a nightmare to cut.  Hickory dulls the chains VERY quickly.  Looking for a chain that will keep its edge better than the factory chain...
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#26]
doubletap somehow... sorry about that.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#27]
im here to learn and dont know much. all i can say is this. dont buy the huskvarna model 435. i own 3 of them and the chains are always loose and flying off no matter what you do. they wont make sideways cuts cause the chain is always too loose sagging falling off. sometimes they freeze as chain becomes too tight at random. they leak chain oil fast and crazy. got em all brand new from lowes.

i think the main problem with them is the design of how the chain is tightened and supposed to be adjusted externally with a wrench which is a mess. anyone here know why the model 435 sucks? ive been told to buy a stihl. thanks to this thread i now know what to look for finally. im no chainsaw guy by any means. ive sawed more trees down with actual gunfire than chainsaws seems like.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Echo or stihl, poulan if you want cheaper option
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
im here to learn and dont know much. all i can say is this. dont buy the huskvarna model 435. i own 3 of them and the chains are always loose and flying off no matter what you do. they wont make sideways cuts cause the chain is always too loose sagging falling off. sometimes they freeze as chain becomes too tight at random. they leak chain oil fast and crazy. got em all brand new from lowes.

i think the main problem with them is the design of how the chain is tightened and supposed to be adjusted externally with a wrench which is a mess. anyone here know why the model 435 sucks? ive been told to buy a stihl. thanks to this thread i now know what to look for finally. im no chainsaw guy by any means. ive sawed more trees down with actual gunfire than chainsaws seems like.
View Quote

I have a 435 that I use for limbing and bucking small trees; mine has run great! Are you sure you don’t have a bent bar? I have never had the chain come off the bar on that saw nor have I had it had the chain randomly loosen up.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got a 450 I've beat the hell out of for a decade. Short of fuel, oil, plugs and filters it's been my most reliable small engine I own. Are you buying shit chains? Never replaced them?
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Since we are on the topic of chainsaws, I've got the Stihl Farm Boss 290.  Great saw and just keeps on ticking.  My question is about chains.  Anyone have suggestions about replacement chains?  I'm currently cutting up some hickory trees I had taken down but they are a nightmare to cut.  Hickory dulls the chains VERY quickly.  Looking for a chain that will keep its edge better than the factory chain...
View Quote

I use Stihl and Oregon since that's what my dealer stocks, I learned how to be a master sharpener and keep chains and bars at the ready.
The guy with the chain saw avatar is very knowledgeable in sharp stuff.
He posted in here, @ him if you want good advise.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#33]
When I did trail maintenance, I used a Stihl MS260 and it was an awesome saw. For home use, I picked up an Echo. I think it might be the CS-310 mentioned earlier. It's been a great, reliable saw.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

No offense, but I think you're doing something wrong.  Start up a troubleshooting thread with pics/examples, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get them fixed up.

The chain tensioner does look a little light on that model with only a single stuf, but the manual reads as a straightforward normal tensioning process.

It is possible your chains have stretched due to misuse or heating up.  Check with Oregon to look at replacement chains.

Also, make sure the bar is cleaned out and the sprocket moves freely--a putty knife or dental pick is good there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#35]
While not really an entry level saw, my Stihl MS-201 TC-M is the one that I have used the most.  It’s lightweight, has plenty of power, and is perfect if you are climbing in a tree.  It rode for a few years on my Kubota RTV and in the toolbox of my old truck.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#36]
As well as buying a good quality and appropriately-sized saw, you will need a good way to sharpen it.
Keep a spare bar and chains on hand, but frequently sharpen the ones you use.  At least every other time I cut a couple hours, I need to sharpen.

The lower on the tree you cut, the more embedded dirt you'll hit.  Even being careful, my chains dull quickly - and the bar gets hot.
Last time I cut, the chain started cutting crooked;  one side of the chain was dull.  Must have nicked something hard.
I have found the 2-in-one sharpeners, to be super fast and easy.  You need to file both teeth and rakers, and a 2-in-one does both at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I own a Husky  465 and never had a problem with the chain. OP, get a name brand from a dealer with a good service department and stay safe. When you need a good saw, you’ll thank us.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I've owned my Stihl MS180 and MS260 for 15 years now and have had zero issues with either.  But since you're looking for a cheaper option I would never hesitate to buy an Echo product.

There's been a recent uptick in a Chinese brand of saw who use expired Stihl and Husky saw patents that get good reviews, and cost roughly 1/3 the price.  Holzfforma I think is the brand.  I've been debating their Stihl 200T clone for shits and grins, although I have no real use for one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#39]
As a guy who uses a lot of saws in his business on a daily basis and has seen probably a dozen worn out in the last twenty years I feel confident the only saw you would likely ever actually need if you aren’t a logger is a Stihl MS250. I prefer the 260, but not enough to justify the upspend for most folks.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What size are you looking for? What are your intentions for it?

A Stihl MS170 16" is $200 brand new.
View Quote
Whatever. All chainsaws are the same just like all guns and cars are the same.

Yes! I went to my local small engine guy who sells Stihl and Husquvara saws. He said they were just about as reliable as each and guided me towards a MS250 Stihl saw. Lighter than my 50cc Poulan saw, there's no primer pump needed. It bucked and cut a 115 foot tall, 20" diameter, birch on a single tank of gas yesterday.

Link Posted: 6/27/2022 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Stihl for the win try something in the 200 series the bigger you go the better they are made. Had terrible luck with Husky couldn't get 3 to run doing everything right kept being unrepairable and kept getting replaced finally got a refund bought a stihl and still running.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Stihl or Husqvarna...  Pick the model that suites your needs.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

You likely have the "green" semi chisel chain. I switched to Stihl "yellow" full chisel. What a world of difference it makes. It is also easier to sharpen.

Green is anti-kickback. Yellow is "professional use only". Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#44]
I have an old Poulan 18" in my shed that I had sitting for several years.  I dug it out last weekend, dumped out the old gas, put some fresh stuff in and surprisingly, it started up and cut a couple logs without any problem.  Maybe I got lucky.    I don't use a chainsaw very often to I'm happy with what I have I guess. If was going to do it again, probably a Shilh.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#45]
I have an old 16" Homelite, that stills runs great.  One of the reasons I got the new Stihl MS250: it has a chain brake safety.  The old Homelite, doesn't.  The Stihl is also easier to service, e.g. tighten the chain, add fuel & oil, etc.

I have learned the hard way, that 2 saws are better than one.  Even being careful, several times I got a saw bar trapped - and cut it free with the second saw.  Not an excuse, but the dynamic physics of cutting trees - is complex.  That's also why I always wear a helmet with face screen.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have an old 16" Homelite, that stills runs great.  One of the reasons I got the new Stihl MS250: it has a chain brake safety.  The old Homelite, doesn't.  The Stihl is also easier to service, e.g. tighten the chain, add fuel & oil, etc.

I have learned the hard way, that 2 saws are better than one.  Even being careful, several times I got a saw bar trapped - and cut it free with the second saw.  Not an excuse, but the dynamic physics of cutting trees - is complex.  That's also why I always wear a helmet with face screen.
View Quote

Not to take away from the two is one and one is none moto, but go ahead and buy an extra bar and chain so you can remove the stuck bar and chain from the saw, attach the extra bar and chain, and free up the stuck bar/chain.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#47]
I am not a seasoned logger by any stretch of the imagination but I always use a plastic wedge to unstick a a pinched bar. Drive the wedge in to spread the log/tree and free your bar.

There is some inherent danger when bucking a log when 80% of it is cut and a wedge is spreading it. Wedges can fall, contact the chain, and fly into your face. Wear PPE.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I am not a seasoned logger by any stretch of the imagination but I always use a plastic wedge to unstick a a pinched bar. Drive the wedge in to spread the log/tree and free your bar.

There is some inherent danger when bucking a log when 80% of it is cut and a wedge is spreading it. Wedges can fall, contact the chain, and fly into your face. Wear PPE.
View Quote

Key is to get your wedge in before the tree rocks back on your bar.  I never cut by myself, and anyone I’m cutting with will have brought a saw.  

My dad got a call from his neighbor asking for help falling a tree.   When he arrived, there was no mystery which tree they wanted down.  It was the one with two saws stuck in it.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get the book “To fell a tree” by Jepson, bet you never stick a saw again.  When a saw gets stuck it’s because the operator doesn’t understand what’s going on, not because there is a mystical saw sticking force.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top