User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked DX Spotting Here (Page 33 of 59)
Page / 59
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Emoto:

The envelope was returned to me with a big X drawn through the address in Cuba and a red rubber stamp saying something like SERVICE SUSPENDED. I sent the guy an image of what it looked like. I'll hang onto it and if things change, will send it off again.
View Quote

You can always use a mail forwarding service in the Caymens.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a few from the suspended list returned earlier this year. I also mailed a couple a few months ago only to find out that they were suspended at that time. Those haven't come back and should have by now, so who knows? I have a huge stash of forever global stamps, so I'd just drop them in the box without knowing any better. I pay more attention to the list now.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#3]
EA3JE is trying for Alaska and Hawaii right now. 14.242
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#4]
24.965 PY5AMF (Brazil) calling CQ no pile-up
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#5]
CT1EHI from Faro, Portugal, is booming here on 24.975.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#6]
18.161 V51WH Gunter in Namibia!
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SACraig:

This would be the perfect reason for OQRS if they can deliver to the USA but I don't know if they can or not.  Otherwise doing as you mention is about the only choice.
View Quote

JT1CO is a cool guy.

I have his card.

Now this is a guess but he has an email on his Zed page and maybe he doesn't know what's happening. If you let him know he might find a QSL manager somewhere. Shot in the dark.

A few years back I realized virtually all Cuban hams have Spanish QSL manglers. I wanted a QSL card from Cuba with a Cuban postmark so I emailed his manager and offered him a couple of bucks to see if the Cuban ham would drop one in the mail for me even though I wasn't sure I'd get it.

It arrived directly from Cuba a month later.

A couple months later this same ham in Cuba got the shit kicked out of him by some hurricane and was reportedly off the air. I emailed him QSL managed and asked what we could do to help and he said they'd take up a collection to get him up and running. I PayPaled the manager $20 and told him to let him know I was an American.

Later I got an email back saying that someone had donated a transciever or something and my $20 would be used for shipping costs and for some reason things would go through Canada for some reason.

Anyway he was back on the air shortly after. I have no idea what they actually sent him.

Link Posted: 12/26/2021 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

JT1CO is a cool guy.

I have his card.
View Quote

I had a QSO with him as well, but haven't tried to get a card yet, since SACraig posted about his difficulties in doing so.

I was wondering the other day what had happened to you, piccolo, as you haven't posted in a while.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 2:28:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SACraig] [#9]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

JT1CO is a cool guy.

I have his card.

Now this is a guess but he has an email on his Zed page and maybe he doesn't know what's happening. If you let him know he might find a QSL manager somewhere. Shot in the dark.

A few years back I realized virtually all Cuban hams have Spanish QSL manglers. I wanted a QSL card from Cuba with a Cuban postmark so I emailed his manager and offered him a couple of bucks to see if the Cuban ham would drop one in the mail for me even though I wasn't sure I'd get it.

It arrived directly from Cuba a month later.

A couple months later this same ham in Cuba got the shit kicked out of him by some hurricane and was reportedly off the air. I emailed him QSL managed and asked what we could do to help and he said they'd take up a collection to get him up and running. I PayPaled the manager $20 and told him to let him know I was an American.

Later I got an email back saying that someone had donated a transciever or something and my $20 would be used for shipping costs and for some reason things would go through Canada for some reason.

Anyway he was back on the air shortly after. I have no idea what they actually sent him.

View Quote

I did send him an email a couple of months ago.  I noticed on his QRZ page that he collected stamps, and since I used to I  have a LOT of them from everywhere.  I offered to send him a package of them if he would tell me how best to get it there without it being stolen or lost, of course I did plan to include my QSL with the package.  Never got a response at all.  So, as it stands right now, no email, no postal mail, no OQRS, no nothing.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 2:51:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#10]
Originally Posted By SACraig:

I did send him an email a couple of months ago.  I noticed on his QRZ page that he collected stamps, and since I used to I  have a LOT of them from everywhere.  I offered to send him a package of them if he would tell me how best to get it there without it being stolen or lost, of course I did plan to include my QSL with the package.  Never got a response at all.  So, as it stands right now, no email, no postal mail, no OQRS, no nothing.
View Quote

There's always a Mongolian vacation.

EDIT: I just sent him the following email:

"Сайн уу. Би чамтай саяхан холбоо барьсан. Одоогоор АНУ-аас Монгол руу шуудан илгээгээгүй байна. Танаас QSL карт авах хамгийн сайн арга юу вэ? Та өдрийг сайхан өнгөрүүлээрэй гэж найдаж байна!

Дэвид"
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 9:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#11]
Originally Posted By BLKVooDoo:
PV8AL 20m 14.295 Brazil

Calling QC
View Quote

worked him many times even mobile
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 2:30:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#12]
10 meter DX

5T5PA

28.074 devils mode 35watts

Mauritania

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#14]
4A90MIC in Mexico on 18.140
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 8:18:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BLKVooDoo] [#15]
I5JVA Italy 7.184
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
Got V31XX (Belize) on the way home from work today on 14.215.  20 over.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#18]
10m is open
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#19]
14.207 OH7JL Finland. He's doing a DX contest so needs a signal report, your QTH, and your serial number. If he is the first one in the contest you have responded to, say "number zero one" then increment the number for each subsequent contest contact.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#20]
14.190 CT3MD Jose on Madeira Island calling CQ and not mobbed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#21]
14.190 HR5/F2JD Gerard in Honduras escaping the winter in the French Alps.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#22]
14.210 YV5YE Venezuela
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#23]
If you want a Trinidad & Tobago, 9Z4FE is on  7.141 with a pretty good signal.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:47:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Bill in S.Africa was booming in on 7.147 MHz.  ZS6CCY
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
View Quote

Nice guy. Worth looking up on QRZ just to see the pictures he posted.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Indeed, I listened to him handle contacts for a half an hour.   He is a smooth operator and a class act.  I love talking with these bigger operators that make the effort to have a bit of personal contact beyond the QSO basics.  I had to compliment him on it.  

By contrast I am always feeling a bit clumsy on the air.  25 years of radio use where keeping it short was professional.

Ten minutes after I posted last night he was gone like someone flipped a switch.  He was working the predawn grey line and had limited time after sun up for the condition to hold.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:19:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#27]
Indeed, I listened to him handle contacts for a half an hour.   He is a smooth operator and a class act.  I love talking with these bigger operators that make the effort to have a bit of personal contact beyond the QSO basics.  I had to compliment him on it.  

By contrast I am always feeling a bit clumsy on the air.  25 years of radio use where keeping it short was professional.

Ten minutes after I posted last night he was gone like someone flipped a switch.  He was working the predawn grey line and had limited time after sun up for the condition to hold.
View Quote

If a QSO seems to be on the chatty side and I don't have much to say, I will sometimes ask them a question about their equipment, even something as simple as "how do you find your current antenna to be compared with other types you have used in the past?". I almost always learn something.

Also, I will sometimes include something about my QTH when they pick up my call. I may say something like "about half way between Boston and Cape Cod, where many of the farmers grow cranberries". This gives them several things they can latch onto and start to talk about if they are so inclined. They may talk about visiting the area or tell me to save them some cranberries, etc. Almost every area has some little interesting tidbit about it, that can be thrown in to check interest.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#28]

If a QSO seems to be on the chatty side and I don't have much to say, I will sometimes ask them a question about their equipment, even something as simple as "how do you find your current antenna to be compared with other types you have used in the past?". I almost always learn something.

Also, I will sometimes include something about my QTH when they pick up my call. I may say something like "about half way between Boston and Cape Cod, where many of the farmers grow cranberries". This gives them several things they can latch onto and start to talk about if they are so inclined. They may talk about visiting the area or tell me to save them some cranberries, etc. Almost every area has some little interesting tidbit about it, that can be thrown in to check interest.
View All Quotes

I always laugh at the QSOs I hear where the ham calling CQ will say something along the lines "I am looking at the clock, I have to go meet someone for lunch, thank you for the QSO and 73's"

Then the ham goes on for another 2 hours calling CQ.

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BLKVooDoo:

I always laugh at the QSOs I hear where the ham calling CQ will say something along the lines "I am looking at the clock, I have to go meet someone for lunch, thank you for the QSO and 73's"

Then the ham goes on for another 2 hours calling CQ.

View Quote

It is funny because it is true.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 7:54:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Clown_Gun] [#30]

View All Quotes

I hear him quite often but have only worked him once; back in June on 7.156.  Definitely a nice guy to talk with.

eta: I just checked, and Bill was only my 4th DX contact since getting the 7300.  And my only South Africa contact so far... gonna have to work on that, I guess.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#31]
ES5TTT Estonia. 21.290 LOUD 5x3 into PIT but VERY loud!

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#32]
14.215 YU5R Serbia no pile up.

He needs signal rpt and a number for you for how many stations in the contest you have had a QSO with. #1 works fine if you haven't worked any others.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#33]
14.215 YU5R Serbia no pile up.

He needs signal rpt and a number for you for how many stations in the contest you have had a QSO with. #1 works fine if you haven't worked any others.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure he was my first ever DX. Promised me a QSL card, but I never got one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:51:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma] [#34]
Ten meters is open into Europe here in New Jersey..

EA3CC    28.500 mHz

F6KHP    28.509

HB9EOU 28.537

CT1EHI 28.560

ETA:  

G4VZR 28.410

M0ZNK 28.484

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#35]
JA3CZY in Osaka, Japan on 21.320
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Just made contact with VP2MDX in Monserrat on 18.140, my first-ever contact on 17 meters, using the new Heil headset and the EFHW I made for Field Day.  Surprising since it's only up about 25 ft. here at the QTH (not good).
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:38:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#37]
made my first 10m QSO from my truck today while moving with a ham in Calgary, AB from MA

wow!

Made one on 17 meters with FL and a few on 20 meters.

I am really liking having an all band antenna in my truck where I can change bands with a couple pushes of buttons
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:51:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SACraig] [#38]
Originally Posted By Clown_Gun:
Just made contact with VP2MDX in Monserrat on 18.140, my first-ever contact on 17 meters, using the new Heil headset and the EFHW I made for Field Day.  Surprising since it's only up about 25 ft. here at the QTH (not good).
View Quote

Montserrat is a pretty good catch.  I worked them a number of times back in the 70's and 80's but haven't heard any since I got back on the air last year.

I do think you'll enjoy that headset.  I have a Pro 7 that I absolutely love.  It gets a ton of audio compliments to so I'm pleased with that.

Edit .... Speaking of Heil, Bob Heil retired.  The company is now owned by Ash Levitt and Steve Warford, both present employees of the company.  Details are Here on Heil's web site.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#39]
18.136 YV5EED in Caracas Venezuela. No pile up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:19:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clown_Gun] [#40]
I keep seeing CO8LY in Cuba pop up on SpotCollector, but I'm not hearing anything.  

Anyone else able to catch this one?

eta: Switched back to the Butternut antenna and I can hear voices down in the noise, but nothing clear.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:23:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC2671] [#41]
I keep seeing CO8LY in Cuba pop up on SpotCollector, but I'm not hearing anything.  

View Quote

Hearing him 59 in NOVA.  I've QSOd him via FT8 17m on 12/25.
Too low for me to give him a shot on phone.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#42]

eta: Switched back to the Butternut antenna and I can hear voices down in the noise, but nothing clear.
View Quote

He's 59 +10 here right now.

I had a QSO with him on 1/20.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:42:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clown_Gun] [#43]
Keeps fading in and out.  3/3 at best.  

eta: I keep forgetting you guys are closer to Cuba than I am.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Keeps fading in and out.  3/3 at best.  

eta: I keep forgetting you guys are closer to Cuba than I am.  
View Quote

Just a little.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:41:19 AM EDT
[#45]

ZS6CCY 7.153

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 7:19:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

ZS6CCY 7.153

View Quote

Billy can be very entertaining to speak with.

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#47]
8P5AA Barbados currently on 14.225
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I tried getting him earlier and couldn't get through.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#49]
LY5A on 18.147
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#50]
14.215 V51MA Namibia
Page / 59
Tacked DX Spotting Here (Page 33 of 59)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top