Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Seen this on IG and found it interesting.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:40:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That is rather interesting. It has to be using one time slot for the Uplink and one for the Down. It kind of defeats the purpose of a DMR repeater, but for simplex it would be kind of neat.

ETAL Im looking for a new mobile, and I am torn between going DMR or D-star. Traveling on the road D-star will be much easier to use.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#3]
https://simonthewizard.com/2019/08/11/anytone-at-578-u-v-iii/

Cross band repeater function (analog-analog, analog-DMR mixture, DMR-DMR)
Dual RX simultaneously (Analog+DMR or Analog+Analog)
Allows UU , UV, VV and VU dual band
Full duplex talk same as the mobile phone (with BT earpiece or wired earpiece)
Two power transistor PA for higher power
AES256 digital encryption
136-174 & 400-480 MHz
PTT Over Ride in digital channel (allows the supervisor to start the transmission while the worker is talking)
Weather Alert
And lots more
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:23:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

ETAL Im looking for a new mobile, and I am torn between going DMR or D-star. Traveling on the road D-star will be much easier to use.
View Quote
DMR is definitely more of a "configure this mobile for TG's repeaters and roaming in a specific area" type mode, which makes sense given its' commercial pedigree.  To really use it you have to take the time to figure out where you're going, what DMR repeaters are in the area, figure out their networks, talkgroups, etc and build a codeplug for them.

I travel all over.  DMR sucks for just hitting the random repeater you happen to be close to.  Sure, you can carry your hotspot around and have it working through your cellular hotspot, but that sorta takes the magic out of it for me.

The ICOM 5100 (with DSTAR) is really interesting because it as a "scan all (programmed) repeaters within so many miles" option - including Analog repeaters.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 2:16:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nope I have not.

See if you can connect to the 9990 private call. That is the echotest on BM and TGIF
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is where I am as well, a couple months later.

Did you guys have to screw with your routers and port forwarding at all?
Nope I have not.

See if you can connect to the 9990 private call. That is the echotest on BM and TGIF
No dice.  This is going to take some fiddling I guess.

Success on Parrot!  Plugged the hotspot into the wall with a cell charger adapter, so I'm making progress.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No dice.  This is going to take some fiddling I guess.

Success on Parrot!  Plugged the hotspot into the wall with a cell charger adapter, so I'm making progress.
View Quote
Good clean power is a must. I would suggest getting a power supply that will supply 2.5 amps. I have been playing hell with my repeater build and some of the issues was the power supply not putting out enough current.
Now get on Group 556 and talk!
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

DMR is definitely more of a "configure this mobile for TG's repeaters and roaming in a specific area" type mode, which makes sense given its' commercial pedigree.  To really use it you have to take the time to figure out where you're going, what DMR repeaters are in the area, figure out their networks, talkgroups, etc and build a codeplug for them.

I travel all over.  DMR sucks for just hitting the random repeater you happen to be close to.  Sure, you can carry your hotspot around and have it working through your cellular hotspot, but that sorta takes the magic out of it for me.

The ICOM 5100 (with DSTAR) is really interesting because it as a "scan all (programmed) repeaters within so many miles" option - including Analog repeaters.
View Quote
Yea the connection through the app, then clicking on a repeater auto sets the radio for the repeater. Cant beat that!
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Good clean power is a must. I would suggest getting a power supply that will supply 2.5 amps. I have been playing hell with my repeater build and some of the issues was the power supply not putting out enough current.
Now get on Group 556 and talk!
View Quote
I'd had it plugged into  USB port on a very small Dell laptop, so it was clean, just inadequate.  Looks like it was getting enough power to be up and get configured, but not enough to do anything else.

I did hit 556 at 0315.  I'm shocked nobody was on.  Shocked I say!
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://simonthewizard.com/2019/08/11/anytone-at-578-u-v-iii/

Cross band repeater function (analog-analog, analog-DMR mixture, DMR-DMR)
Dual RX simultaneously (Analog+DMR or Analog+Analog)
Allows UU , UV, VV and VU dual band
Full duplex talk same as the mobile phone (with BT earpiece or wired earpiece)
Two power transistor PA for higher power
AES256 digital encryption
136-174 & 400-480 MHz
PTT Over Ride in digital channel (allows the supervisor to start the transmission while the worker is talking)
Weather Alert
And lots more
View Quote
That’s pretty cool. It’s like Hams are rebuilding  there own early cell networks!

Wish hytera had a presence here in America. They make some cool stuff.

Also: After playing with Yeasu and YSF and DMR will have to say DMR I like way more.

It allows me to pin point my call to a specific target group or area. With YSF your stuck with whatever rooms are there.

For example in ga we have Ga state wide and Atlanta metro as the most used DMR talk groups. If I was in Maine I could still route my call back to the TG/ repeaters in my area. YSF can do that but on a much more restrictive footprint maybe 1 repeater carrying that room or none. If I key up Atlanta metro there will be 10 or more repeaters carrying that TG on a primary TS that will key up all over the state of GA.

With all of that said....

Our club is about to put up a full Dstar stack at Wauka Mountian which will cover from ATL to south of Athens Ga to dang near Greenville SC. With this coming online, think I will be switching from the FTM-400 in the car to the 5100A for D star.

Depending on your area Dstar may have a regional TG for you. Here in GA Dstar has always been prominent and many repeaters around. I think reflector Charlie is essentially Ga state wide. Every D star repeater in Ga has that as its main reflector.

With the wide spread use of Dstar repeaters in Ga, cost of a new 5100A, Reflector Charlie (ga state wide), it has seemed to me as the go too for my area.

I like the idea of DMR much better but the lack of DMR repeaters in my area (rural Ga only 1 which I am on the fringe) the lack of commercial DMR mobiles that have removable face plates make it a no go for me at the moment.  Really hoping for a DMR Mobile that would meet my specs as I see DMR as the best of the 3.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Monitoring DMR for a bit if anybody is out there.

W6BKM
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

W6BKM
View Quote
Got to throw that callsign out there!

I was listening most of the day yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I have it on when I am in the truck between jobs and alot of the time at home k-9 bob and a few others are on fairly regular ---afternoons is probably the best time. We've been chatting in the afternoons on my ride home the past few days pretty regular. So its active a few parts of the day feel free to jump in anytime.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

W6BKM
View Quote
You won't make any contacts just listening....key up and throw out your call.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#14]
bump

gonna try to get in with new ftm100 install

Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll probably have my radio on this afternoon if someone wants to talk, not much going on at work.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I have my ft-70 programmed up and am getting into the tg according to the who is talking monitor page. Is there anybody monitoring tonight?
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Left my radio on and heard someone talking to Larry last night around 11:30.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Can someone explain this sorcery while I'm at work??
I'll YouTube it after work

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can someone explain this sorcery while I'm at work??
I'll YouTube it after work

Thanks!!
View Quote

DMR is a Digital radio protocall that was developed by Motorolla. It was designed with some neat features and was designed for Land Mobile Radio. It allows the linking of remote bases and repeaters and the establishment of talk groups like on P25. It is also a Time Division Multiple Access protocol that allows 2 simultaneous conversations on 1 repeater with different talk groups without interfering based on time slots. Hams started to build out large networks with it, allowing local hot spot and repeaters to link. There is now 3 large networks in the US that host DMR talk groups. ARFCOM now has a Talkgroup on TG556 on the TGIF Network. Code plugs are a bit more difficult then some, but it becoming one of the largest digital networks in the world.

Many of the hot spots are using a Raspberry Pi micro computer and a multimedia digital modem board. It also allows some cross banding into other modes with some of these talk groups.Most of the hotspots also suppirt Dstar, System Fusion, NXDN, P25, DMR.  On top of that there are some new radios coming out that will be full duplex by using the 2 time slots at the same time, kind of a neat deal.

ETA: Some more reading https://www.dmrfordummies.com/

ETA2: Nothing implied by the link title, just a good source of info.

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have my ft-70 programmed up and am getting into the tg according to the who is talking monitor page. Is there anybody monitoring tonight?
View Quote

Nice to talk with you this afternoon @blackgunmike
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nice to talk with you this afternoon @blackgunmike
View Quote

Same mike. Look forward to more conversations.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm lost with this. I knew there was a ARF net but looks like its on bands that I can't get with a tech.

So I see this and I'm trying to figure out if I can access it. I see there are links for the Suncoast network but I can't find a list of their repeaters. I'm on echolink, is there a way to accesss it through that?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm lost with this. I knew there was a ARF net but looks like its on bands that I can't get with a tech.

So I see this and I'm trying to figure out if I can access it. I see there are links for the Suncoast network but I can't find a list of their repeaters. I'm on echolink, is there a way to accesss it through that?
View Quote

No you will have to have a DMR or fusion radio and a hotspot to talk on the TG.

Cheapest option will be DMR radio and a Chinese hot spot.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

In addition to what @swampfoxoutdoors said there's a Friday evening ARFNET you can get to through Echolink.

They're pretty good about bumping it every week, should be on the front page of the ham radio forum.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Newbie question from a guy who didn't bother to read all 9 pages- if I have a hot spot I bought pre-programmed for the Brandmeister network, can I access the TGIF (and other) networks or do I need to get in there and start pressing buttons and flipping switches?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In addition to what @swampfoxoutdoors said there's a Friday evening ARFNET you can get to through Echolink.

They're pretty good about bumping it every week, should be on the front page of the ham radio forum.
View Quote

Where on echolink?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Newbie question from a guy who didn't bother to read all 9 pages- if I have a hot spot I bought pre-programmed for the Brandmeister network, can I access the TGIF (and other) networks or do I need to get in there and start pressing buttons and flipping switches?
View Quote

Should just need to program the talkgroup on your radio.

I think.  It's been a minute.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess I'll try that and see what happens. I've had the radio for a while but used it mostly for analog and messing about with APRS. Just recently started seriously looking at the DMR capabilities and am making progress but still very confused. Onward....
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Your radio will need to be programmed with the frequency and color code of the hotspot as well as having the talkgroup want to access.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Where on echolink?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where on echolink?

Should be on the 1st page of the thread, I bumped it right after I posted since no one had bumped it yet.

ETA

Here's the OP from the Echolink thread

NET INFO
Friday 6PM PST to 7:30 ish. ANY of the nodes below will get you into the net.

AllStar 46535
IRLP Reflector 9257
Echolink Conference *DCF-ARC*

The ARF-COM IRLP/Echolink/AllStar Net will be held on IRLP Western Reflector 9257. This IRLP reflector is linked to Echolink Conference Server *DCF-ARC* 336037 full time. Also, ALLSTAR 46535 is connected 95% of the time.

Echolink user's just have to click on "Node Types", then "Conferences", then scroll down the list to "DCF-ARC". Click/tap DCF-ARC and then Connect.

IRLP user's, just come in on 9257.

Any and all hams are invited to check in but we are looking for the guys that are new to the hobby to get involved. If you unfamiliar with Echolink, google Echolink on your PC or go to the I/Play store and download the app. You need to register on their web site and get your call validated before it will work.

*************************************­*********************************************­*********************************************­***************************

The reason for the wanting to use a "bridged" channel is to make it easier for those that don't have a controllable IRLP node near them. They can of course come in through Echolink.

Those of us on HF have our own nets and places to go, but this net would give the newer Tech class guys/gals here on ARF somewhere go as well. Check it out, check in and have fun.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

@Redbirdxx

For simplicity sake you have to log into the Pi-star and set the Network to TGIF, then set the talk groups in code plug you want to use.

There use to be a way to switch networks with the radio but as they have been building the network out it became buggy. So now I just set the repeater to TGIF and call it a day. I have hotspot I can use for Brandmeister/Dstar
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@Redbirdxx

For simplicity sake you have to log into the Pi-star and set the Network to TGIF, then set the talk groups in code plug you want to use.

There use to be a way to switch networks with the radio but as they have been building the network out it became buggy. So now I just set the repeater to TGIF and call it a day. I have hotspot I can use for Brandmeister/Dstar
View Quote

Thanks for the input. I think I'll focus on getting to know the radio and hot spot as they are before messing about with the hot spot settings, but I hope to see you guys on the TGIF 556 talk group sooner or later.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#33]
So I don't have a DMR radio.... I use echolink but don't think that does DMR... What are my options....

Wiznet?
Pi-Star?
Brandmeister?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So I don't have a DMR radio.... I use echolink but don't think that does DMR... What are my options....

Wiznet?
Pi-Star?
Brandmeister?
View Quote

You have to have a DMR or Fusion radio and a hotspot. If you don’t have any of that there is no way to get on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Wiznet?
Pi-Star?
Brandmeister?
View Quote

An MMDVM (e.g. Pi-Star)  hotspot  and either a DMR or Fusion radio.  Yaesu FT-70 does YSF and is only about $160 - $170.

My preferred poison is D-Star (I really do NOT like DMR).
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#36]
just switched over to TGIF, I like it better than brandmeister already. I have ARFCOM up and running anyone on?
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Guess I'll try that and see what happens. I've had the radio for a while but used it mostly for analog and messing about with APRS. Just recently started seriously looking at the DMR capabilities and am making progress but still very confused. Onward....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry, it's been a bit since I used the system and forgot a bit.  You are going to have to hop into the hotspot's web page to change the network that it's connected to.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm up and monitoring.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#39]
i’m trying to get but cant get my iphone to link to my hotspot
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

All the guys on the local repeater have been complaining about the same problem. Think it had to do with the last iphone update.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I might have this figured out after playing with the hotspot configuration for most if the day.  TG 556 shows 0 in the room. DMR flashed for an instant on the hotspot, thought I saw a Larry on the screen. Running ysf2dmr, someone get in here before I lose it !
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#42]
it looks like 2 stations called out, s meter went to full scale but no audio came through. ??

Well, back to work, will be trying to monitor.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

@Derek45 I had the same problem this weekend after updating my iPhone.  Haven’t tried it since yet.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@Derek45 I had the same problem this weekend after updating my iPhone.  Haven’t tried it since yet.
View Quote

well . . . right after I posted that, it started working, I talked to K-bob and Larry for a while.

I did recently upgrade my old iphone6 to an 8
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#45]

It's much harder to get it to connect to my iphone 8

I'm really getting tired of it.

I want to jump in the vehicle and use it, but I don't have 30 mins extra time in my day to try to get it to fucking work.

90% aggravation, 10% fun.

I'm about a 6-pack away from blasting it with my 44

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's much harder to get it to connect to my iphone 8

I'm really getting tired of it.

I want to jump in the vehicle and use it, but I don't have 30 mins extra time in my day to try to get it to fucking work.

90% aggravation, 10% fun.

I'm about a 6-pack away from blasting it with my 44

https://i.imgur.com/WX4wS3F.jpg
View Quote

We want video when you do.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

We want video when you do.
View Quote

ok
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#48]
@Derek45

I experienced frustration with my iphone hotspot as well.  

My hotspot takes about a minute to boot up.  Here's what I do:

1.  set screen sleep time to 1 minute or better.
2.  Turn on hotspot
3.  Wait a second, open settings - hotspot; turn hotspot off and then back on, leave phone on the hotspot screen but let it go to sleep on its own, don't hit the power button.  The phone will only broadcast the SSID while the screen is on.
4.  Start driving, by the time your hotspot boots you'll be far enough away from your home wifi that it'll see the phone hotspot and connect to it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
@Derek45

I experienced frustration with my iphone hotspot as well.  

My hotspot takes about a minute to boot up.  Here's what I do:

1.  set screen sleep time to 1 minute or better.
2.  Turn on hotspot
3.  Wait a second, open settings - hotspot; turn hotspot off and then back on, leave phone on the hotspot screen but let it go to sleep on its own, don't hit the power button.  The phone will only broadcast the SSID while the screen is on.
4.  Start driving, by the time your hotspot boots you'll be far enough away from your home wifi that it'll see the phone hotspot and connect to it.
View Quote

Well,...I just went for a drive.

got a half mile down the road, turned on the hotspot, and let it sit, ....sure enough it promptly lit up the blue hotspot bar across the top.

COOL.

keyed up the FTM100 on low power, and the blue bar immediately disappeared

tried again, same result.

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Well,...I just went for a drive.

got a half mile down the road, turned on the hotspot, and let it sit, ....sure enough it promptly lit up the blue hotspot bar across the top.

COOL.

keyed up the FTM100 on low power, and the blue bar immediately disappeared

tried again, same result.

View Quote

Well that's shitty... I haven't tried mine in TX as I've used it in RX only.  I'll try to give it a shot and report back with my findings.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top