BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 84
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DCBourone:
CpnRthey are full tang.  Tapered tang! And incredibly complex grindsfullered + convexed +  
swept curved etc.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/345159/image_jpg-2226037.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/345159/image_jpg-2226043.JPG
View Quote

Nice! I’m definitely on board, then. The spine is interesting. I’ve used my Cold Steel (I know, I know) kukri to make kindling quite a few times when camping, using one piece of wood as a mallet on the spine of the kukri to split smaller pieces. That shape makes me wonder if maybe I shouldn’t treat your kailash blade quite like the tool it is, or if it wouldn’t fare well when I inevitably did. Hell, maybe it would do better than a flat spine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

Any nick like those file cuts into the edge of that tang, they are stress-risers, meaning they introduce forces when/if that section of the blade is quenched/tempered.

This is a common failure point for knifemakers, particularly with W steels (IIRC) due to their quench speeds.  The maker leaves a 30 grit grind mark that goes to the blade edge and in the quench, the blade cracks on that grind mark.

I doubt it's an issue with these, as I can't see them wanting or needing to harden the tang...or even the spine of the blade for that matter.
View Quote

They could cut the grooves in with an abrasive cutoff wheel after it's hardened and tempered.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Here ya go, gents.

A small hatchet made out of 111 year old wrought iron and some 4130.  This was meant to be a hammer, but when the previous attempt worked out this was re-purposed to a hatchet per the owner's request.  There's a mild delam, but when viewed from where things were after the power-hammer had it's way, it's pretty impressive if I do say so myself.

When things weren't going so well...
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:24:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Stj what is edge temper on artifact hatchet?

and.  Small comfort:

the grooves on kukri are very shallow and rounded.  Not likely source of compromise.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Stj what is edge temper on artifact hatchet?

and.  Small comfort:

the grooves on kukri are very shallow and rounded.  Not likely source of compromise.
View Quote

I doubt it is over 50 RC on the edge.  A file bites just enough to allow one to be used to dress the edge.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I have enjoyed owning some cold steel tanto stuff for decades, back when brass was part of it.  I have used that one to cut a 55 gallon drum in half and other silly stuff that is abusive to a knife, but the cold steel tanto laughed at the abuse and kept on keeping on.

I have some newer tantos that seem more like chinese knock offs, they are said to be cold steel but if you look at a few of them together you can tell one or two may be cold steel and one or two may be knockoffs.

The kalaish blade I got is a bowie knife blade so no comment on other versions.  It came decently sharp.  It was not hard to put a "ouchie" edge on it by just messing around with it a bit and the ouchie part comes from not respecting how you test an edge cause you did not think it would be a serious edge. Oopsie.

I have not really abused my bowie knife yet, no cutting 55 gallon drums or use as a pry bar, but so far it easily chops small branches and stuff other normal tasks without an issue.

That cold steel tanto I mention above was bought when I was younger and dumber and did not care about stuff.

So far I would say the bowie knife will handle such abuse but I don't pretend to have a drum or a need to cut a drum in half these days.

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Stj 50 rc understood.

biere this will amuse: an original 80/s maybe the first? Cold steel tantobrass guard etc under electroless nickel then Teflon coating.  Early version of what became birdsong black-t.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Got first ever fancy boots for eventual winter camping.  Hanwag trapper tops gtx.  Anyone here have experience high end boots Kennetrek meindle crispi zamberlane etc?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Stj 50 rc understood.

biere this will amuse: an original 80/s maybe the first? Cold steel tantobrass guard etc under electroless nickel then Teflon coating.  Early version of what became birdsong black-t.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/345159/image_jpg-2235878.JPG
View Quote

In fairness...it was supposed to be a hammer...not a hatchet.

I always lusted after those Cold Steel Tantos.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:22:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coontrapper] [#10]
Got first ever fancy boots for eventual winter camping.  Hanwag trapper tops gtx.  Anyone here have experience high end boots Kennetrek meindle crispi zamberlane etc?
View Quote

I have a pair of non insulated Kennetrek mountain guide. I got them on recommendation from a guide friend, I have around 250-300 miles on them with minor wear to the tread and zero leather damage. I couldn’t be happier with them

We had a guide in camp in 2020 with a pair of crispis, they were a great boot from what he said. I don’t think you can really go wrong with one of the high end mountain/hiking boots
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#11]
used all the high end boots over many years of hunting... Zamberlan, Crispi, Meindal, Hanwag. All insulated high top models. Hanwags are super comfortable, close second is the Lowa sheep hunter. The Crispi's are a little taller and warm. I could never get a good fit in Zamberlans. All are leather and need to be cared for a bit more than the synthetic stuff. After breaking my tib/fib, my ankle appreciates the support. Never used the Kenntreks...
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#12]
on another subject, my spider sense is tingling as of late. I think we are on the cusp of the turning... I have prepared best I can but if everyone pig piles on the US... adventure time...
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Stj hammer not hatchet so cool!  Old tanto very tough and sharpened quickly and long flat chili easy to forward grip.  New version worse.

ctrapper high end boots makes sense.  Hanwag s were heaviest by weight size a good thing in my case.

heron which Hanwag you use?

spidey sensejust don't think we can say much on a publicish forumms.  But somebodysure is in a fucking hurry.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Obligatory artifact pic:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Obligatory artifact pic:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/345159/image_jpg-2249349.JPG
View Quote

I know what you want.

Solid probably.

At the moment I am making librarians...it's complicated...you know this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:53:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: heron163] [#16]
DC - I think these are the same as you have - super trapper I believe... Lathrop and Son were the supplier. These Hanwags are the only boot I will wear to the end of their service life. I have been using them since I got out of service and Lathrop was the only US source.

the Crispi's are lighter but the sole construction is a bit different. They seem like a good boot but I don't have the miles on them that I do the Trappers and sheep hunters...

yeah I don't think you need to be a clairvoyant to see what is coming... Every place I liked out in ID gets bought PDQ...

ETA: it is 12 F here and am going to the range... wearing the Crispi's... Good wool socks on of course...
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:51:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: highstepper] [#17]
Here y’are fellers…something for your library.

Documentary:  Gunsmith of Williamsburg. (1969)
Gunsmith of Williamsburg (1969)
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By highstepper:
Here y’are fellers…something for your library.

Documentary:  Gunsmith of Williamsburg. (1969)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_O1-chxAdk
View Quote

That video is awesome!  The silversmith one is pretty interesting too.

I hope to take the family to check that place out someday.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Stj making librarians.  Freaking kills me.

Heron yes super trappers.  Best boots i have ever owned.

heron dont quit on idaho.  Try this:  we will not
be able live in other places.  Not.  Able.

highstepprr that video should be mandatory for amyone over age of five.  Start with pile of rocks and some woodmake rifle!

dfa have not seen silversmith will check.

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Obligatory artifacts.  Test and actual.

look real close:Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Oh...is that a ring on your ring-finger?

jk

I will ponder the puzzle until my puzzler is sore.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Stj not my finger.  Super class gunsmith.

Ring wouldnt do much here.  We are pretty much welded.  She knows who you are.  Sees all your posts.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Stj not my finger.  Super class gunsmith.

Ring wouldnt do much here.  We are pretty much welded.  She knows who you are.  Sees all your posts.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/345159/image_jpg-2283460.JPG
View Quote

...waves at the lady...

There are only 6 of those in the world.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A89Uo1oIF0
View Quote

You can tell how often a smith makes certain somethings based off the tooling they have for it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:53:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Hm. Inferences do not a plan make, and there are those who require a tipping, shall we say, of the scales in the direction of sufficient probability before uprooting and redirecting one’s efforts. Guessing at making heads or tails of traffic without one half of the matched pads, I am.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 10:35:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#27]

All I can say with certainty is....said smith has a stamp that says G/SWD *or* his hand-stamping skills are off the charts.

Also...the thread form on the shiny part has my confusion wrapped around it like bacon.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

All I can say with certainty is....said smith has a stamp that says G/SWD *or* his hand-stamping skills are off the charts.

Also...the thread form on the shiny part has my confusion wrapped around it like bacon.
View Quote

03-a3 bolt shroud?

Agreed on the stamping. I'm terrible at it. Lol
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Designated when i see vids like that i I can imagine what it must be like to take heroin.

STJ so then six rings of power. And she has one!

STJ On the tooling they have "" I have a Toolbox full of reloading dies. Presently on standby. Will be open soon.

CPN every single person here including me will regret not making certain critical decisions earlier rather than later. None of us live in a titanium tower in the Rocky Mountains with  geothermal power and an infinite supply of food.It's going to get rough.

STJ he is a really awesome Smith. Yes his hands Stamping skills are pretty awesome. GSWD. GSWD. Think about it!

Dfarm that is totally awesome! Bolt shroud!  CZ550 Mediumheavy rifle in a 375 wildcat that can use pretty much any 375 HH based brass. I have been planning these rifles for 40 years. The GSWD medium heavy General utility rifle!
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Will get this for starters:Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Will put a 270 grain barnes lrx at 2800 at modest pressure.  3006 for scale:Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

I am a big fan of the zero-stop on my NX8
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:23:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: texashark] [#34]
What is the status of the sequel ?
I’ve had to start re reading the original.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#35]
STJ very much looking forward to messing around with that scope.  The general standard for repeatability and durability. Good optics other features pretty much a secondary concern.

Tshark buried in this now many years of forum thread is the idea that I am not a writer. Writer in the sense of "" author who intends to create a career and satisfy an audience on a regular basis. I really am not. Not in terms of lifestyle behavior physical activity pretty much any measure. Writing this book was a complete success in terms of this forum and other associated factors. Otherwise it was a gigantic time sink and a financial debacle.

This is a really long way of saying I really don't know if or when there will be a sequel.  It took 40 years of pressure someone better write a book like this for me to give it a shot. I still feel that pressure. But I can also drive for one hour and be in virgin wilderness doing whatever the hell I want. So far it's not much of a contest.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 8:34:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#36]
Supreme luck with a gunsmith.  A+ communication.  I have asked if/how/when his shop might choose to be represented here.  His discretion.  To be determinedAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 8:19:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Supreme luck with a gunsmith.  A+ communication.  I have asked if/how/when his shop might choose to be represented here.  His discretion.  To be determinedhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/345159/2612D942-900D-4B40-9C20-BA7B6CF28225_jpe-2288258.JPG
View Quote
That's beautiful.  Love the stamp.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#38]
DMarksman--I've wanted a/some/any heavy/medium heavy old school Africa type bolt guns
since I was a kid.  Rigby/s, Westley Richards, Dumoulin, magnum length Mauser controlled feed, etc.
Prechtl and Heym. The big names, Ok, give me 16K plus dollars.  Not going to happen.

So I'm building a few...only took 50 years!

These are a .375 wildcat that will take/fireform pretty much any of the available
.375 cases: H/H, Improved, Weatherby.  Had a reamer made.

A Gehr Waffen connect: having dispensed with any delusional cretin who thinks major civil
chaos will be an opportunity to "get it on", I hope we can accept that ANY MEASURE short of killing
another human is peak desirable.

The threshold for stopping a common vehicle (not diesels) by spalling metal
into a cylinder sits somewhere around a 250 grain plus solid copper/(bronze is best)
bullet at 24-2500 fps.

The warning effect/sound/impact on structures/dirt/water etc. of the bigger rounds
is substantial.

I've always figured anybody with the space/layout/geography to own/use a .50
might be able to scare off/warn away anybody except  Chinessee hordss.

Signs/loudspeakers/lights/barriers/warnings/diversions/stop a vehicle: anything possible
short of killing somebody.  Everything else might be fixable.  Someday.  Maybe.  Ok, probably
not, but you gotta try.

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#39]

The threshold for stopping a common vehicle (not diesels) by spalling metal
into a cylinder sits somewhere around a 250 grain plus solid copper/(bronze is best)
bullet at 24-2500 fps.

View Quote

Hmmmmm...bearing bronze as a projectile?
I think the 1980s crapped on this idea.

Post reminded me of a quote I cannot remember the source for...
"There are no unimportant parts on a helicopter."
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 1:08:14 AM EDT
[#40]
STJ--I don't know what kind of bronze.  Spec sheet was from the late nineties
and built around the .338 lapua.  Not U.S.A.  What kind of bronze would make
a good cheap accurate "stuff" penetrator and practice round where a small company could fill a contract
for lathe turned small batches?  Could the "bronze" be coated/baked/some coating?
No capital intensive tooling up like a government.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Pretty sure I have some commercial solid copper dangerous projectiles in .338 cal. I have not around to loading them. Maybe time for an experiment...
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 12:19:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#43]

STJ--I don't know what kind of bronze.  Spec sheet was from the late nineties
and built around the .338 lapua.  Not U.S.A.  What kind of bronze would make
a good cheap accurate "stuff" penetrator and practice round where a small company could fill a contract
for lathe turned small batches?  Could the "bronze" be coated/baked/some coating?
No capital intensive tooling up like a government.
View Quote

IIRC, the USC banning AP won't allow this.
This is a hypothetical conversation then.

Nevermind, that code is specific to pistol ammo.

I would think the bearing bronze would be the simplest to fabricate.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 4:46:12 AM EDT
[#44]
anyone remember "Arcane Ammunition"?
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 4:41:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Even right now 50bmg surplus of the api, apit, raufoss, and other assorted parts seem to be available.  Due to some states playing games with "tracers" some businesses will not allow import of some stuff to that state even if it honestly should be legal.

Plain old ball surplus and tracer is around as well of course.  If you watch and wait sometimes pmc and others do new ball ammo pretty cheap as well.

I really like the concept of some of the heavy stuff being discussed but I took the cheap way out.  I have been working on 223/5.56 and appleseed to simply accomplish what that round can do.  

I have some 308 and 30-06 and their surplus equivalents around as well, 223/5.56 can be kinda cheap practice depending on the distance you are working on.

Appleseed, no I do not benefit from mentioning it, is also offering some courses where they take 22lr on out pretty far.  I think you need to pass the basic course before messing with it at 100 and 200 yards and in between but it kind of depends on area and your skill level.

You will learn what it means to play with the dials on your scope, or in some cases just play with all those grids in the scope view.

Appleseed is a cheap weekend overall and will work with people who show up and know very little, they like you to show up with a sighted in setup.  Various courses tell what they are expecting, like some are all 22lr and others will allow centerfire.

And now appleseed has a handgun course, I have not yet done this.

I would love a sequel to the book but I know I could not invest the time and effort for even a chapter let alone a book.  I am happy the book exists and am reading it yet again.  

This thread has been awesome, my magazine I won works well in my 1911.  :D  

Some of the pics of the 375 h and h brass made me chuckle and remember the 458 garand someone made.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Did the story of the interrogator stuck on the road ever go anywhere?
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Got a training rifle for my kids. Jun 1956 Remington 514. Single shot bolt action .22, iron sights.

Pulled the stock off and got all the old varnish and hand dirt and grease off.

Finishing it with watco antique oil. I'll do 10-15 coats and sand with 250-320 grit in between.

First coat.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:
Got a training rifle for my kids. Jun 1956 Remington 514. Single shot bolt action .22, iron sights.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81267/IMG_20220301_201905952_HDR-2298171.jpg

Pulled the stock off and got all the old varnish and hand dirt and grease off.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81267/IMG_20220301_205507616-2298176.jpg

Finishing it with watco antique oil. I'll do 10-15 coats and sand with 250-320 grit in between.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81267/IMG_20220301_210332274-2298177.jpg

First coat.
View Quote
Cool!  That stock is looking good.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Heron I hope you run some experiments. I certainly will.

Moon dancer The Perigen monolithic solids seem to be very popular in South Africa from what reading I've done. I have no idea what they are made of compared to our bullets.

STJ my fabricating abilities stop at molding lead. I wish I could do more.

Heron I don't remember arcane ammunition but I sure like the name.

Beer I'm very surprised that some kind of contorted legal shenanigans have not taken those rounds off the market.  The Appleseed course seems to be pretty awesome. And yes writing the book was an absolutely excruciating experience.

Last crusader I'm very flattered that people have been and were interested in another book. I have multiple chapter sheets and character studies on what could easily have been 10 or more books. As A non-writer I found the process tremendously more difficult than I had anticipated. I am truly sorry to disappoint the members here. The interrogator was a Family affiliate, the equivalent of Byron York and would have been facilitating the transfer of a VIP under extreme pressure immediately after the detonation of the S nuke.

Designated that is gorgeous!

Grey guy exactly!
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#50]

I didn't go as far as I was going to initially. Probably 7 coats then paste wax. Pretty solid improvement I think. Taking the kids out with a truck full of 22s and a bucket full of ammo Saturday probably.
Page / 84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top