Page / 84
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
CT--max awesome!

How close were you to...turkey...vulture?  Nest?  Just day-um.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 8:28:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Coontrapper] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DCBourone:
CT--max awesome!

How close were you to...turkey...vulture?  Nest?  Just day-um.
View Quote

I meant to make a note, it’s a juvenile bald eagle-ugly little bugger. I had to reach out to some people to figure that out. I  came around the corner about 6 feet above him, I had no idea he was there. View from the bottom Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe hair a closer, but now north of you.  Will shoot you an IM.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mnmiv:
Maybe hair a closer, but now north of you.  Will shoot you an IM.
View Quote

This for me?

Seriously...it's gonna get cool/cold soon...get your ass up here and let's make something DC will covet.

I mean how the F else are we gonna get another book?
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Ctmax cool.

stjbeen messing around with speech to text. Promising.  Heading out again in a week or twoAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Dammit, now I've got to get my Garand out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 5:30:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greyguy] [#11]
I'm still checking in from time to time here.  It looks like you've landed in a great spot DC.  Congratulations on getting all of the work done which must have been necessary to make the plan real!

DC and Coontrapper - your pictures are fantastic, and also making me a bit jealous.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 3:41:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lohi] [#12]
Greetings, great to see the thread is still active after all these years, Just recently remembered that i should re read SS and injured reserves and as you say it has become more a roadmap for the future then a book.

But on a more happy note here are some pics from my outing yesterday. It was a good day of friendship and I was lucky to run into the gentleman in the photos.

Have a great day from Croatia.

Link Posted: 11/6/2021 11:40:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Just to be a pain...

Link Posted: 11/7/2021 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

Just to be a pain...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8pt7ht18f7qq2i/leohammerdone2.jpg?raw=1
View Quote

Is that wrought iron?
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

Is that wrought iron?
View Quote

The center is.  Guess where I got and where it's going back to.
The ends are 1045.
They came out around 55RC.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#16]

The center is.  Guess where I got and where it's going back to.
The ends are 1045.
They came out around 55RC.
View Quote

No idea at all.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 5:36:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#17]

No idea at all.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Making-with-ancient-metal/187-2502511/
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#18]
The boat project is pretty awesome. You probably cruised within a couple of hours of my area.  Maybe closer depending on what other sight seeing you did.

Iirc, we were on a road trip adventure halfway across the country at the same time as you were though.

50% of the motivation for the trip......
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Did you need the whole hog or just the teeth?
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#20]
We shot a bunch. I wanted to bring home a lot of meat. My hosts described the situation as being similar to shooting rats at a dump and were more focused on covering a lot of ground and shooting as many as possible. I think we put hands on 16 or 17 in one night. I'm sure more were hit and made it farther than we were going to follow them.

The compromise was me cutting the loins (backstraps) from the ones we got to because I could do it in just a couple of minutes per hog.  

I was thankful for the opportunity to get out and stretch the legs on some equipment in ways that I'm not really able to at home but the ethics of the situation where they applied to the animals was something that I struggled with a bit coming from a more traditional hunting background vs. Something more akin to pest control.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Understood.

I have a friend with a lot of turf in south GA and he calls me down every now and then when the hogs are on his lands.

Thermal makes it almost fair.

We just leave the carcasses where they fall now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:05:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: greyguy] [#22]
That's a very cool project.  Though that seems to be the norm with you...
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:08:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: greyguy] [#23]
The boat project is pretty awesome. You probably cruised within a couple of hours of my area.  Maybe closer depending on what other sight seeing you did.

Iirc, we were on a road trip adventure halfway across the country at the same time as you were though.

50% of the motivation for the trip......
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78442/IMG_20200629_204402_225_jpg-2158547.JPG
View Quote
What a great picture!  You guys in this thread are really crushing it lately.  I need to get back in the habit of checking in here more often.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By greyguy:
That's a very cool project.  Though that seems to be the norm with you...
View Quote

Thanks!

Life is too short to keep making the exact same thing over and over.

Well, except for pizza.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 10:49:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Coontrapper] [#25]
Cool project Stimpson!

Sounds like a fun trip Dfarm, I’ve picked up a couple good sized hogs over the last week in coyote snares
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 1:09:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Coontrapper:
Cool project Stimpson!

Sounds like a fun trip Dfarm, I’ve picked up a couple good sized hogs over the last week in coyote snares
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459504/BD7C6798-0E1F-4926-90E0-2FB51F41E01E_jpe-2182775.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459504/EDC87902-7B13-46EC-BE00-456C0CA2A4C5_jpe-2182778.JPG
View Quote

Are they dead when you find them or have to be capped?

<----  NOT a hunter/trapper
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#27]
DmYes get your grand out! Oops GARAND.

Gray guy Yep it took many years to get get here. Feel extremely lucky. Starting this year I should be able to get at least 2 to 300 days a year Way wayoutdoors.

Lohi Good to see you. Yes this book was meant to last. And this thread even longer.

STJ that is freaking awesome. Obviously you need to make some tomahawks. At least one should make it to the Museum of modern Art.  Repurposed ancient boats oh man that is so cool.

DFARM everybody with feral pigs seems to kill them with a dull Fury. Pure hate.

GREYG We are all going to take many many beautiful pictures and we are all going to become Instagram Sluts.

CT good to see you.

Link Posted: 11/29/2021 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Got some kalaish blades finally.  Long post soon.  Completely crush common kuks.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/29/2021 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#31]

It moved a little.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#32]

It moved a little.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It moved a little.

All right, dammit. So far the knives have looked cool but not really my thing. These though? Last pic had me drooling. Love the bottom one on the last pic and it has me wondering how much it will cost me to get its copy.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:39:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coontrapper] [#33]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Coontrapper:
Cool project Stimpson!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459504/BD7C6798-0E1F-4926-90E0-2FB51F41E01E_jpe-2182775.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459504/EDC87902-7B13-46EC-BE00-456C0CA2A4C5_jpe-2182778.JPG

All the hogs I’ve caught have been very alive and more than a little upset when I’ve found them. Coyotes it depends on the time of year and how they’re caught. I.e neck caught they’ll probably choke themselves down, hip caught he’ll probably be alive and waiting.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:30:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Cpn_Ron:

All right, dammit. So far the knives have looked cool but not really my thing. These though? Last pic had me drooling. Love the bottom one on the last pic and it has me wondering how much it will cost me to get its copy.
View Quote
https://kailashblades.com/product-category/traditional/

I bought a bowie knife from them with a kydex sheath cause I wanted a sheath I did not have to care about at all.

Wonderful knives.

I believe that is where the ones in the pic came from but if wrong I will be corrected.

I gain nothing from speaking of the knife supplier, just impressed with their product and will order more.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#35]
@DCBourone
When I first started reading your story, I wasn't a member, IIRC, and I lost track of it. Saw this pop up on the Active list and looked forward with great relish to rereading it, but I guess the text is gone now? Is it a complete book available for sale somewhere, would love to buy it and finish reading it. I did peruse the last couple of pages and see you are off in the scrub somewhere, good luck and be safe. I have simply gotten older and no better.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:49:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DesignatedMarksman] [#37]
Originally Posted By armoredman:
@DCBourone
When I first started reading your story, I wasn't a member, IIRC, and I lost track of it. Saw this pop up on the Active list and looked forward with great relish to rereading it, but I guess the text is gone now? Is it a complete book available for sale somewhere, would love to buy it and finish reading it. I did peruse the last couple of pages and see you are off in the scrub somewhere, good luck and be safe. I have simply gotten older and no better.
View Quote
https://lmgtfy.app/?q=amazon+dc+bourone

I posted lmgtfy not out of sarcasm, but because it puts two layers of proxy between Amazon and this thread.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Thank you, sorry for being obtuse.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:07:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#39]
111 year old wrought and O-1 center.

Link Posted: 12/18/2021 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#40]

111 year old wrought and O-1 center.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9fgv72wtp5hear/seax4.jpg?raw=1
View Quote

That is going to be sweet!
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Happy New Year, fellow Librarians.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Stj Best most work for the money I think I've ever seen. Really gorgeous knives.

cpnR it might take a while but give me a few months to improve these blades. The company is not taking custom orders at this time but I think I've worked out a deal with them. I had a lot of trouble just describing the swell/guard which is not on any of their original designs. The version I want as soon as possible brings the handle all the way forward to the swell guard. Etc. complicated. But when I get them the way I want anyone should be able to order the same design.

CT good to see you.

Biere Yes that is the same company. Really cool stuff.

armored good to see you.
Please leave a review as appropriate. They help.

designatedawesome!

stj that is gorgeous.  Finished pics?

mnmiv good to see you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:01:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#43]
And happy new year. Time flies. Wake up every morning and watch the greatest horror show since pre-World War II. Haven't been on a trip since the summer. Too distracted. Slow prepping to get out in the winter. The fantasy is wolves. Idaho Has essentially created infinite open season on Wolves. Chances of actually seeing and shooting one or more are Very small. It seems like most people shoot them randomly and episodically hunting other animals. And often at fairly close range.  So.  Going to put this on a
garand:Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Stj Best most work for the money I think I've ever seen. Really gorgeous knives.

cpnR it might take a while but give me a few months to improve these blades. The company is not taking custom orders at this time but I think I've worked out a deal with them. I had a lot of trouble just describing the swell/guard which is not on any of their original designs. The version I want as soon as possible brings the handle all the way forward to the swell guard. Etc. complicated. But when I get them the way I want anyone should be able to order the same design.

CT good to see you.

Biere Yes that is the same company. Really cool stuff.

armored good to see you.
Please leave a review as appropriate. They help.

designatedawesome!

stj that is gorgeous.  Finished pics?

mnmiv good to see you.
View Quote

I can wait, and thank you. Curious why it looks like none of them are full tang, or am I mistaken? I’m not remotely a knife expert or even enthusiast, but I do enjoy quality items. I very much like the look of the one I pointed out; I may have to decide if I want to just buy one for myself or also invest in one for each of the next generation in my home. They truly look like legacy items.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:54:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cpn_Ron] [#45]
I’ve been freeloading when it comes to pictures, so here are a couple shots from a day hike in west Texas last year. It’s critical to bring plenty of water with you, you absolutely won’t find any on the surface. Maybe next time I’ll remember to take a pic of the gear/means of defense I bring along to take care of me and mine.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#46]
CpnRthey are full tang.  Tapered tang! And incredibly complex grindsfullered + convexed +  
swept curved etc.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#48]
CpnRthey are full tang.  Tapered tang! And incredibly complex grindsfullered + convexed +  
swept curved etc.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/345159/image_jpg-2226037.JPG
View Quote

Gack!

The engineering side of my brain screamed in horror.

I guess they likely don't heat-treat the tang, though, so maybe it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Stj please explain?  Cool thing this company first to use temp gauges normalizing and oil quench.  Steel is completely unlike my traditional kuks.  Harder crisper springier.  Also much much lighter.  No need for heavy/soft spine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Any nick like those file cuts into the edge of that tang, they are stress-risers, meaning they introduce forces when/if that section of the blade is quenched/tempered.

This is a common failure point for knifemakers, particularly with W steels (IIRC) due to their quench speeds.  The maker leaves a 30 grit grind mark that goes to the blade edge and in the quench, the blade cracks on that grind mark.

I doubt it's an issue with these, as I can't see them wanting or needing to harden the tang...or even the spine of the blade for that matter.
Page / 84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top