Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2021 12:41:40 PM EDT
I may be in the market soon for a new welding machine. I like the DC stick welders. The one I have
maybe on its last leg so I am looking now.

I am leaning to a Hobart 160  https://store.cyberweld.com/hobart-stickmate-160i-500570.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3NX_BRDQARIsALA3fIJMkCBVGRL4dZETZnu_SKAErpbb25FqlMcfJjH9uZA5IYux2ToOaSIaAmsBEALw_wcB

Now I came across this brand about $170 shipped  https://www.toolots.com/km-dc160a.html?cid=10561989106&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3NX_BRDQARIsALA3fIIYWM_33j4mlIfoawD4HjRHJ5-CuCxPDIPDhjay3XaytIypqpQDHYIaArOHEALw_wcB

Operational they look the same (Toolot seems to be very generous with their specs). Are they the same internally or spend the $200 more to get the Hobart?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an old Miller Thunderbolt DC machine that I gave a guy $100 for.  I bought new longer leads.  It works very well for the price.

I would go with Hobart or another name brand, but I have no experience with either of those particular machines.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
T would love to stay away from a china welder but heck the Hobart 160i is made in China and cost almost 3 times what other China machines cost.
If I was to give money to China might as well take the cheapest route,
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
T would love to stay away from a china welder but heck the Hobart 160i is made in China and cost almost 3 times what other China machines cost.
If I was to give money to China might as well take the cheapest route,
View Quote

If you are going to go China made, at least take a look at the Everlast machines.  They seem to be packed with features and get really good reviews.  Price will be on par or slightly less than the Hobart you are looking at.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top