Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2018 9:27:04 PM EDT
I search for my callsign on APRS.fi and all that shows is something from noon yesterday.  I've only keyed up on a D-Star repeater lately (and don't use APRS), so I'm assuming it read my callsign and location from my ID-51a Plus.

However, I've since keyed up from another repeater and APRS.if doesn't see that I have.  Furthermore, I've keyed up repeatedly on the first repeater today and APRS hasn't updated.

My question is why aren't my later key ups being shown on aprs.fi?  None of my XYL's locations are shown either.

The XYL and I are going through our radios (all 3 are ID-51s, except for my ancient ID-92ad that we don't use other than for testing/monitoring) and trying to learn how to use them, finally (after having them for a year).

We have the Advanced ID-51a Plus manual, too, so feel free to reference section numbers.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 7:08:27 AM EDT
[#1]
interesting
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Let me start off by saying that I don't know the answers, but I will throw some stuff out there anyway. Disclaimer: I am not looking at the manual and just looking at my radio.

When you hit the menu button, at the bottom of the first menu screen, there is a GPS tab. Clicking on it gives you two options: GPS TX Mode, and GPS Auto TX.

When you click on the tab, GPS TX Mode, you need to have this turned on to send your GPS data; in this case D-PRS (DV-A). If this isn't turned on, you won't show up in APRS.fi

The other tab, GPS Auto TX does exactly what you think it would do: it automatically transmits your location information every so often depending on what time you set it for: every five minutes, 10 minutes, or every 30 minutes. This doesn't sound like it effects what you are asking about.

So, on the XYL's radio make sure the GPS TX Mode is on and set to D-PRS.
Another possible issue is that the the radio can't send GPS data if the internal GPS is not locked. In other words, when you first turn it on, or maybe if you are in the basement or something the GPS isn't exchanging information with the satellites so it can't send your location data. You need to give it a little bit of time to aquire the GPS satellites. On this radio, this happens fairly quickly; maybe a minute if you are standing outside. The internal GPS also seems to work well and for me seems to "find" the GPS satellites even when I am in my basement. When that little satellite icon at the top of the screen (in the center) stops flashing, you have satellite lock and a valid location fix.

I doubt that this helped you, but maybe you can confirm that this stuff is done and we can go from there. I am not sure I can help you find the solution if it is something other than these few things I already mentioned, but I wanted to let you know someone was reading the post. If you are using a repeater, obviously the repeater has to pass this data on to the internet. I don't know anything about D-Star repeaters and how they work but it seems obvious that this has to happen. What happens behind the scenes with these digital voice modes is something I don't know a lot about and even if I did, I am not sure it is possible to know exactly what happened when a problem occurs. It's a complicated system. You have the basic radio parts: am I in a good enough location with a good enough antenna and enough RF power to be getting into the repeater ? And then you also have the repeater itself. But beyond that you have all kinds of data/internet things going on that you don't have any control over and no way to know what is going on with that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply.

The screens you describe are set as you describe.  The GPS menu actually has 2 pages, the menu you cite is 2/2, up on the d-pad will take you to 1/2.

You are correct in saying that this thing is complex.

I have confirmed internet connectivity on the repeater near my QTH by having a QSO with the XYL from the D-Star repeater near my work (10.1 mi away according to the GPS in our ID-51 Pluses.

The APRS.fi is not critical, I'm just puzzled why it worked for me one day, and hasn't worked since.

I highly recommend getting the ID-51a Plus Advanced Manual if you have an ID-51a Plus (not 2).

I'm going through it as I can, but have a lot to study for work (God bless IT for having a new, steep learning curve where ever you go .  I need to find a new profession, but the money has to be there, too.)
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]
More info.

When I put the XYL's callsign in the UR and hit repeater A, it routes my call to repeater B (as expected).  I also get a GPS reading on her location.  Her GPS location is also shown when we connect simplex.

But when we're on the same repeater I get nothing for her GPS location.

As a side note, when I connect to Repeater A and she's on Repeater B, we're 10.1 miles apart.  Repeater B is probably (guestimating, I can't find lat/long on B) 15 miles from me and I can hit it with full quieting from the 9th floor of the building I'm in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top