Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2019 9:42:40 PM EDT
IL allows crossbow hunting during the archery deer season.

Draw weight must be between 125-200lbs.

I have no archery experience with either crossbows or regular bows.

I'd like to keep the cost below $400. Hoping for less than $350.

Any recommendations?  What should I look for? What accessories are useful?
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I recommend you visit crossbownation.com There's a wealth of information there to guide you to the best choice for you based on your priorities, the amount of money you want to spend, and value for the dollar. Remember that all else being equal, the fastest crossbows will require more maintenance.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:38:04 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as accessories you'll need a bolt quiver, bolts, broadheads, and rail lube. You'll end up buying more than that, trust me. Get a decent scope that is designed for crossbows with multiple crosshairs for different distances. It's easier to hit what you're aiming at using a scope. I bought a Hawke. They're inexpensive and they work well. I've had mine for around 5 years now. Bolt quivers are made to be attached to the crossbow. I prefer to carry mine in my backpack rather than attach it to my crossbow. I like to use 100 grain expandable heads for the slightly higher speed, and therefore less drop, and the fact that they fly like field tips with field tip consistency as far as point of impact. I like the Grim Reapers, there are others that work just as well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Thx, I'll head over to crossbownation.

Good info!
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Good time to shop with Black Friday sales coming. I prefer reverse draw crossbows. Much better balance in my opinion than traditional models with limbs out front.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 1:50:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got into the crossbow game.

For what it’s worth, I picked up a centerpoint 370 sniper package off amazon.

It comes with three bolts, the bow, a quiver, and a scope.

I also bought some additional bolts, a cheap target/discharge bag, and some rage broadgeads.

I harvested a small (for Kansas) eight point this evening (after two weeks of crossbow ownership).

The shot was 20 yards broadside.  It impacted just behind the left shoulder, pierced the heart, and shot clean through the off shoulder (yes, broke/penetrated  the shoulder blade).

All that (minus the broad heads and target bag) for around $250 on Amazon.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Crossbow pricing is very much a case of diminishing returns. You can spend ~$250 on a crossbow, or $2500...the performance does not increase with price linearly. You're spending a ton of money for marginal performance increases.

I'm on my third bow now...first was a TP that was fantastic, but eventually cracked limbs and they refused to replace them. Second was a Horton / TP reverse draw that wouldn't group...that lasted half a season. Currently on an Excalibur G340. It's loud but a fantastic shooter. No cams to worry about, very simple design and fairly reasonable ~$600 with a crank.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I will second the Centerpoint.  Bought the Sniper 370 Elite Whisper for $225 and it is awesome.  Shoots fast and accurate with Bloodsport bolts and 100 grain heads
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out the carbon express line.  Not a bad crossbow for the money $250 or less
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#9]
All great info.  I'll take a look at the centerpoint.

interesting about the quickly diminishing returns.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know much about Centerpoint. But Wicked Ridge is made by Tenpoint and they make very high quality bows.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#11]
In my experience the biggest gains by spending more on crossbows are weight loss.

Got my wife a CE Piledriver 390 because we found one dirt cheap on clearance.  Shoots more accurate than you will ever need for hunting, even my wife can draw it down without using one of those cranks, point and shoot just like a gun... but it's a pig.  She hunts from a blind so with a shooting stick it's a non-issue but for her to use it unsupported would be tough.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a Barnett Whitetail Hunter STR for $300. Bolts and broad heads brought it up to $400. Once dialed in shoot at different spots on the target or you’ll be replacing bolts from doing the Robin Hood. They stack them in there.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will second the Centerpoint.  Bought the Sniper 370 Elite Whisper for $225 and it is awesome.  Shoots fast and accurate with Bloodsport bolts and 100 grain heads
View Quote
I ended up buying the Centerpoint Sniper 370.  The advice here and reviews online all seemed good...especially for $225.

I should have it sometime next week. I have never shot a crossbow, so I will test it out and report back.

Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I own one. The trigger sucks pretty hard, but I otherwise it’s a good bow.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Got it assembled.  Hopefully I'll be able to test it out next weekend.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Got the bow sighted in yesterday.  Pop can sized groups at 40 yards.  I'm sure that will improve as I'm getting used to the trigger and shooting a crossbow.  Overall I am confident in the bow and happy with the purchase.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top